Tubbing And Boozing

Tubber McGee

Seems like I heard years ago that you should not get into a hot tub after drinking alcohol. I just do not remember the reasons! and what the reasons are!

Any thoughts on this!

If I can't drink in a tub! I'm about to waste $8k

Hi,

I think the main reason is that you may drown! I have always found that i get drunk twice as quick in a tub. I think this is because the hot water increases blood circulation anyone know any other reason please jump in and correct me. I dont think any hot tub manufacturer would ever recomend drinking in a tub but maybe other readers could give their opinion as to whether they do or dont.

Seems like I heard years ago that you should not get into a hot tub after drinking alcohol. I just do not remember the reasons! and what the reasons are!

Any thoughts on this!

Hi,

I think the main reason is that you may drown! I have always found that i get drunk twice as quick in a tub. I think this is because the hot water increases blood circulation anyone know any other reason please jump in and correct me. I dont think any hot tub manufacturer would ever recomend drinking in a tub but maybe other readers could give their opinion as to whether they do or dont.

In all things moderation. I'd guess 90% of this forum partakes in an adult beverage from time to time in the hot tub. Make sure you've got a friend with you, and don't get drunk. I typically don't drink in the tub, but in late December, on a perfectly clear and sunny winter day, I sat in the tub and had 4 beers over 2 hours, longest soak ever ... it was paradise ... pruney, but paradise.

DK117

1 hour soak, 1 cigar, 1 martini, 2 jazz CD's - I know my limitations

Any thoughts on this!

Hi,

In all things moderation. I'd guess 90% of this forum partakes in an adult beverage from time to time in the hot tub. Make sure you've got a friend with you, and don't get drunk. I typically don't drink in the tub, but in late December, on a perfectly clear and sunny winter day, I sat in the tub and had 4 beers over 2 hours, longest soak ever ... it was paradise ... pruney, but paradise.

DK117

Any thoughts on this!

Hi,

Your bloodflow increases in your body, so, instead of just mostly siting in your stomach more of it gets moved around. Theoretically you would also metabolize it out faster too, but that's a much longer process (something like BAC of .15 goes away in 10 hours or so). Also, alcohol also increases bloodflow and raises body temperature, so there is a slightly higher risk of heat stroke and heart attack if you already have these issues. Per this article there are around 75 deaths in hot tubs per year, mainly related to drowning and drowsiness or drowning by kids getting hair stuck in the filters and jet ports. I'm guessing most of the drunk drowning issues are people who are really smashed and are not around others, but that's my non scientific guess.

Honestly, I don't really see a huge difference in acohol affecting me in a hot tub versus out of it, but I think it also might have to do with how much you drink and how cheap of a date you are. I'm part irish and part welsh and was raised in a good episcopal family, so it takes quite a bit to affect me. My wife however, does feel it faster in the hot tub.

We never get into the tub without a drink! It doesn't seem that we get drunk any faster either. :(

For a cheap drunk, give blood and have a few beers! :lol:

Dave

Unless you know yourself to be an abject lush totally bereft of self-control, GO FOR IT! You've BOUGHT the tub (or probably will) allowing you the wonderful opportunity to enjoy such a hedonistic and luxurious activity as soaking in jet-infused, hot, soothing water as if you were a Roman emperor -- why would you EVER deny yourself this extra pleasure if that be your desire?! Practically speaking, your only real viable concerns should be (1) glass anywhere near the tub (just DON'T), and the lesser companion (2) running out requiring you to "robe up" back to your main supply. Think "unbreakable glasses," "cocktail shaker" or "flask."

BTW, I see you're making the forum newbie rounds so let me preempt you a little: Yes -- to the extent you have reasonable privacy, you can and we do, also have s*e*x in the tub. You've only got the one life, so what are you waiting for?

I also haven't noted any increased intensity of effect or being affected quicker in the tub. But I generally don't drink enough to get blasted anymore (college was a looooong time ago). The ladies mostly tend to get tipsy after one, in the tub or not.

If you're stupid about it.... alcohol can make doing about anything dangerous.

whactct wabs the da western? <<<<<burp>>>>>

There is a whole bunch of stuff you shouldn't do when drinking.

Most I find are just bs to make sure you don't file a lawsuit.

As said by others....moderation is key!

About the only thing I really don't think you should do is drink and shoot guns.

About the only thing I really don't think you should do is drink and shoot guns.

1.7 million deer hunters in Minnesota spending the day before hunting opener at the shack boozing it up till 2 AM and then stumbling to the deer stand with a high powered rifle at 4 AM.....dohhhhh Thankfully most fall alseep.

1 hour soak, 1 cigar, 1 martini, 2 jazz CD's - I know my limitations

That's how I love it! Exactly the reason I got the tub. Not everyday, but on the weekends it is fantastic

Any thoughts on this!

Hi,

DK117

Unless you know yourself to be an abject lush totally bereft of self-control, GO FOR IT! You've BOUGHT the tub (or probably will) allowing you the wonderful opportunity to enjoy such a hedonistic and luxurious activity as soaking in jet-infused, hot, soothing water as if you were a Roman emperor -- why would you EVER deny yourself this extra pleasure if that be your desire?! Practically speaking, your only real viable concerns should be (1) glass anywhere near the tub (just DON'T), and the lesser companion (2) running out requiring you to "robe up" back to your main supply. Think "unbreakable glasses," "cocktail shaker" or "flask."

BTW, I see you're making the forum newbie rounds so let me preempt you a little: Yes -- to the extent you have reasonable privacy, you can and we do, also have s*e*x in the tub. You've only got the one life, so what are you waiting for?

Here! Here! for MikeVB...you have said it all - btw I have found some cheap plastic cocktail shakers and plastic martini and Hi Ball "glasses" at my local super market (Wegman's) I am sure if you look around you will find them. Essential to not have glass around tub.

1.7 million deer hunters in Minnesota spending the day before hunting opener at the shack boozing it up till 2 AM and then stumbling to the deer stand with a high powered rifle at 4 AM.....dohhhhh Thankfully most fall alseep.

You are very right....and it's scary.

Had an guy I knew go hunting with his dad after a few drinks a couple of years ago.

He slipped and shot is dad when they where crossing the fence. Thinking he killed his dad because he was laying there unconscious....he killed himself. Now his dad feels pretty bad about the whole deal as he has fully recovered. The bullet just clipped his skull and knocked him out.

Anyways...yup...I drink in the tub.

You are very right....and it's scary.

Had an guy I knew go hunting with his dad after a few drinks a couple of years ago.

He slipped and shot is dad when they where crossing the fence. Thinking he killed his dad because he was laying there unconscious....he killed himself. Now his dad feels pretty bad about the whole deal as he has fully recovered. The bullet just clipped his skull and knocked him out.

Anyways...yup...I drink in the tub.

Here! Here! for MikeVB...you have said it all - btw I have found some cheap plastic cocktail shakers and plastic martini and Hi Ball "glasses" at my local super market (Wegman's) I am sure if you look around you will find them. Essential to not have glass around tub.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Brian. If I also had a Ferrari, I'm sure I'd take it to 100MPH a couple of times too. I mean, this is why we have these things, so what otherwise is the point if we don't enjoy them to their fullest as they were meant to be enjoyed? But since I'll probably never be able to afford more than a steering wheel on a Ferrari I'll have to live my life in the fast lane in my hot tub! haha

BTW, I use REAL shakers and flasks -- I don't mind metal there -- and a sturdy car-type/spill-free 16-oz cup with a well-centered base so it won't get knocked over. But I DO like your idea of the plastic martini and hi-ball glasses -- much more fun and of course appropriate! :P

My training indicates the one thing that most affects the rate alchol is absorbed into the blood stream is the content of the stomac. Thus the question on most states D.U.I. alchol influence reports "When did you last eat" and "What did you eat". Having said that I do have the preception that I feel the effect of alchol quicker and with less consumption while in the HT but I also have the same precepiton on a hot summer day when we are pulled up on a sandbar in the boat. I don't know if the effects of alchol are amplified while in the HT or not but I do preseive them to be. As for lthe warnings posted on hot tubs I would guess that is at the uriging of the companies legal section. I am new to HT's but have several years experence with alchol and thus far have found them to be quite compatable.