How Do You Become A Spa Tech?

I guess that depends on who they work for. Our service techs receive both on the job training, as well as factory training. We also send our technicians to the Hot Spring factory for a training course there as well. :) That gives them a large amount of basics to begin with, and the fundamental resources for what they need to do.

But, like any other job, on the job experience is where a lot of a technician's abilities come from.

Most of my training came from summers in the pool store with my head in a drum of Chlorine tabs that I had to box up in different quantities. Back then, they didn't have pre packaged tubs of 3 in tabs. They would send the pool stores these big 4ft by about 3ft around drums. Yep, learning the effects of Chlorine on your sinuses, THAT was my training.

• 2 weeks later...

Arctic Spas offers factory technical training at several levels. Some of the professional organizations (APSP, Pool & Hot Tub Council of Canada) offers technical courses.

I am just curious how the 'spa techs' became techs, was it through schooling or through osmosis? I would be interested in hearing about it, I was thinking about that today.

I am a plumber by trade, but have been out of that for several years (department head for a mechanical contractor now) But through the plumbing repairs at peoples houses and being asked to look at this or that on there tub, it just kinda fit. Never did go into it full time. Just a side gig for some extra cash and contacts. The trouble shooting problems is the most difficult thing to learn, plumbing is plumbing but on the job component replacement will get you experience in trouble shooting problems.