Hydro Spa After 1 Year

Brent Hamm

Have not been here much lately, mostly cause there are too many losers here posting crap.

But..i remember when i got the Platinum II certain people here said 'see if you like it in one year'.

So.its one year. We like it.

Kids broke the cover lift early on. More their fault then anything. Thought the first lift was a little weak. They quickly sent out a new one. And it was a bit stronger too.

Someone (kids) screwed the water fall plastic valve so thight it stripped. Have not got this replaced yet, been lazy. But will try next week.

Other then that, very happy, use it almost every day. 104 is not as hot as i would like, but that seems to be the temp most spas are limited too.

Winter is coming, i think i might try to add extra insulation to it. I tested it with a meter last winter, and it was not too bad. But if i can spend a few bucks to save more...well..worth it to me.

CYA.

BTW if anyone has a good link to adding insulation please share..saves me the time of searhing...yeah..i can be lazy!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have not been here much lately, mostly cause there are too many losers here posting crap.

But..i remember when i got the Platinum II certain people here said 'see if you like it in one year'.

So.its one year. We like it.

Kids broke the cover lift early on. More their fault then anything. Thought the first lift was a little weak. They quickly sent out a new one. And it was a bit stronger too.

Someone (kids) screwed the water fall plastic valve so thight it stripped. Have not got this replaced yet, been lazy. But will try next week.

Other then that, very happy, use it almost every day. 104 is not as hot as i would like, but that seems to be the temp most spas are limited too.

Winter is coming, i think i might try to add extra insulation to it. I tested it with a meter last winter, and it was not too bad. But if i can spend a few bucks to save more...well..worth it to me.

CYA.

BTW if anyone has a good link to adding insulation please share..saves me the time of searhing...yeah..i can be lazy!

How dare you still love it!! Don't you know you didn't get a wet test?! ;)

That is a good question.

I read that on here just yesterday too.

I called them on Saturday, (i knew they would not be there) and at least their number still works, and their phone message is still the same.

I will call them Monday and see what i can find out.

Gut feeling is that Costco would somehow take care of it if they cannot but not sure what they would do?

I think it really bugs some people that i spent under $5,000 on a spa and love it.

I service all kinds of tubs that cost 5 grand or less! Matter of fact probably 7 out of 10!! There's so many tubs available for less than 5 grand it would probably suprise alot of people. And almost all the owners I talk to and service for, love there tubs. I must say that I dispose of alot more of these same tubs though. They reach there life expectancy in 5-10 years and most owners are still happy. And they get another.

Roger:

In 5 to 10 years why are they trash?

The skirting on the wooden ones is usualy rotted and in very poor condition the tubing and PVC is becoming brittle. Knobs, diverters, jet bodys, jets, controls faces. Generaly the cosmetics are at a pretty bad state when a major component fails (heater, control, pump) If it,s five years and its a pump not to bad, I may reccomend a repair but advise a heater or another problem is inevitable. If it's 7-8 and the pump was done at 4-5 by then the tubing jets air lines and general appearence(although this synthetic skirting may extend the astitics) will warrant a recomendation by me to dispose.

It's never the same and very liquid depending on alot of factors., quality of the lower to middle end brand, how well it was taken care of. Do this for me stick around 5-6 years and tell me.

I know you guys will find this hard to believe but, tubing, PVC, jet bodies, clamps, glue, lumber, acrylics, fiberglass, PVC skirting material control boxes, pumps, pump motors, pump seals, and every component used in the construction of a hot tub is not created the same. Every component can be had for several different price ranges and they are not all created equal. Any one who thinks pump A is the same as pump B is kidding themselfs into thinking so. Same with every component.

IN MY OPINION the higher end manufacturers spend the time designing and researching the components that go into there product to increase there longevity and overall effiecient operation. The low end manufacturers but bulked up low cost components and slap them together in the most inexpensive way possible to create a price point product. This is the American way people. There's nothing wrong with it. But as was stated before, no one here, well a few are but not me, are knocking any low end product, they are what they are, a price point product introducing alot of people that would normaly not be able to afford it to a hot water vessel. But they are not the same as an 8 thousand dollar D1 And IN MY OPINION an 8 thousand dollar D1 is the best tub out there. And no I do not sell them!

The skirting on the wooden ones is usualy rotted and in very poor condition the tubing and PVC is becoming brittle. Knobs, diverters, jet bodys, jets, controls faces. Generaly the cosmetics are at a pretty bad state when a major component fails (heater, control, pump) If it,s five years and its a pump not to bad, I may reccomend a repair but advise a heater or another problem is inevitable. If it's 7-8 and the pump was done at 4-5 by then the tubing jets air lines and general appearence(although this synthetic skirting may extend the astitics) will warrant a recomendation by me to dispose.

It's never the same and very liquid depending on alot of factors., quality of the lower to middle end brand, how well it was taken care of. Do this for me stick around 5-6 years and tell me.

I know you guys will find this hard to believe but, tubing, PVC, jet bodies, clamps, glue, lumber, acrylics, fiberglass, PVC skirting material control boxes, pumps, pump motors, pump seals, and every component used in the construction of a hot tub is not created the same. Every component can be had for several different price ranges and they are not all created equal. Any one who thinks pump A is the same as pump B is kidding themselfs into thinking so. Same with every component.

IN MY OPINION the higher end manufacturers spend the time designing and researching the components that go into there product to increase there longevity and overall effiecient operation. The low end manufacturers but bulked up low cost components and slap them together in the most inexpensive way possible to create a price point product. This is the American way people. There's nothing wrong with it. But as was stated before, no one here, well a few are but not me, are knocking any low end product, they are what they are, a price point product introducing alot of people that would normaly not be able to afford it to a hot water vessel. But they are not the same as an 8 thousand dollar D1 And IN MY OPINION an 8 thousand dollar D1 is the best tub out there. And no I do not sell them!

What Roger Said :P

Roger:

In 5 to 10 years why are they trash?

Roger, Your assessment of a "High End" tub vs a low quality tub is enlightening. Your obvious expertise and many years of servicing all brands have awarded you insight that most of the neophytes such as myself could never have. You said,

"The skirting on the wooden ones is usualy rotted and in very poor condition the tubing and PVC is becoming brittle. Knobs, diverters, jet bodys, jets, controls faces. Generaly the cosmetics are at a pretty bad state when a major component fails (heater, control, pump)" and continue by saying

"IN MY OPINION the higher end manufacturers spend the time designing and researching the components that go into there product to increase there longevity and overall effiecient operation. The low end manufacturers but bulked up low cost components and slap them together in the most inexpensive way possible to create a price point product." only to close with this statement,

"But as was stated before, no one here, well a few are but not me, are knocking any low end product, they are what they are, a price point product introducing alot of people that would normaly not be able to afford it to a hot water vessel."

Roger, I'm confused. :huh: All you did was knock "low end" tubs in your post. I have research and found that some of the components used in the high end tubs are the same (or at least come from the same company) as in the low end tubs. The Acrylic on some high and low end tubs is bought from the same Acrylic manufacturer. You say you are an "independent technician", so novices such as myself will listen to your post as such, but In my humble opinion you always seem to post negative statements about the "Low End" tubs. If you were truly as independent as you claim, you would have made the point that some components on some tubs come from the same manufactuer.

On the post "Inside My Platinum Legend" by Jwillard Sept 4th 07 0737 PM you and the SpaTech made the statement that a PVC 180 angle was a poor design from to the jet pump on Jwillard's tub. After much debate it was assested that both you and Spatech's mis indentified the part when it was in fact a circulation pump. You never admitted to your obvious error. Spatech did. You tried to change the subject by bashing the plumbing design. Why did you do that?

Roger, If you're going to call youself "independent", you need to do a better job. We (the novices)really would like to see the pictures of the inside of those fabulous "High End" tubs to make some serious comparisions. B)

Have not been here much lately....So its one year. We like it.... BTW if anyone has a good link to adding insulation please share..saves me the time of searhing.

Hi, Brent

Welcome back. Glad to hear you are enjoying your spa.

One approach to after-market insulating is here but I believe someone posted a more elegant solution.

Happy hot tubbing.

Tom

Roger, Your assessment of a "High End" tub vs a low quality tub is enlightening. Your obvious expertise and many years of servicing all brands have awarded you insight that most of the neophytes such as myself could never have. You said,

Roger, I'm confused. :huh: All you did was knock "low end" tubs in your post. I have research and found that some of the components used in the high end tubs are the same (or at least come from the same company) as in the low end tubs. The Acrylic on some high and low end tubs is bought from the same Acrylic manufacturer. You say you are an "independent technician", so novices such as myself will listen to your post as such, but In my humble opinion you always seem to post negative statements about the "Low End" tubs. If you were truly as independent as you claim, you would have made the point that some components on some tubs come from the same manufactuer.

It's understandable your confusion, you are assuming, as alot do, that the acrylic manufacturer only makes one sheet of acrylic. And this is the acrylic he sells to everyone. The same holds true for every manufacturer. Balboa has I think 20-30 different control boards ranging in price from a couple hundred to over 1 G. The same for every component, oh wait, thats what I said in my post.

On the post "Inside My Platinum Legend" by Jwillard Sept 4th 07 0737 PM you and the SpaTech made the statement that a PVC 180 angle was a poor design from to the jet pump on Jwillard's tub. After much debate it was assested that both you and Spatech's mis indentified the part when it was in fact a circulation pump. You never admitted to your obvious error. Spatech did. You tried to change the subject by bashing the plumbing design. Why did you do that?

A 180 degree bend on any pump is a poor design, ask any plumber or plumbing engineer. I stand by my statement "poor design" how many more design flaws are where we can't see them??.

Roger, If you're going to call youself "independent", you need to do a better job. We (the novices)really would like to see the pictures of the inside of those fabulous "High End" tubs to make some serious comparisions. B)

I think someone started a thread on the insides of several tubs here on this site, some great photos and some great insight. Go search for it I think it will become clearer to you. Or it may have been at Whatsthebest site, either way look it up and I think any person who compares the equipment bay of a D1 versus that conglomeration in that Hydro or a Cal or several others will be able to see for themselfs what a quality clean clutter free equipment bay looks like. On a side note my customers think I do a great job at advising them. I could care less what anyone on this site thinks, especialy you. My advice is free, take it or leave it you can never go wrong.

Have not been here much lately....So its one year. We like it.... BTW if anyone has a good link to adding insulation please share..saves me the time of searhing.

Hi, Brent

Welcome back. Glad to hear you are enjoying your spa.

One approach to after-market insulating is here but I believe someone posted a more elegant solution.

Happy hot tubbing.

Tom

Is it just me, or do the rest of you look at that picture and want a beer? That looks like one hell of a cooler! :)

It's understandable your confusion, you are assuming, as alot do, that the acrylic manufacturer only makes one sheet of acrylic. And this is the acrylic he sells to everyone. The same holds true for every manufacturer. Balboa has I think 20-30 different control boards ranging in price from a couple hundred to over 1 G. The same for every component, oh wait, thats what I said in my post.

A 180 degree bend on any pump is a poor design, ask any plumber or plumbing engineer. I stand by my statement "poor design" how many more design flaws are where we can't see them??.

I think someone started a thread on the insides of several tubs here on this site, some great photos and some great insight. Go search for it I think it will become clearer to you. Or it may have been at Whatsthebest site, either way look it up and I think any person who compares the equipment bay of a D1 versus that conglomeration in that Hydro or a Cal or several others will be able to see for themselfs what a quality clean clutter free equipment bay looks like. On a side note my customers think I do a great job at advising them. I could care less what anyone on this site thinks, especialy you. My advice is free, take it or leave it you can never go wrong.

Roger, I haven't read any post of yours until now where you clearly acknowledged that the same manufacturers who make the high end tub parts make the low end tub parts as well. Thanks for your honesty. I don't think many of the readers would be silly enough to assume that the same exact part used in a D1 or Thermo is the part in their Big Bow tub. But to give the impression IMO as though the parts in those tubs are junk parts seems contradictory if you know the above to be true. Not to mention implying that those same companies are some how dumbing down there lines for the low end consumer. :o

Now as far as your argument regarding the 180 degrees bend pipe, my question is not the pipe flaw but the fact that you mis identified the part as a jet pump when in fact it's a circulation pump. After reading that thread I went away with the impression that you didn't want to be seen as wrong. You never admitted your obvious mistake. Why? If it was a mistake on your part you need to man up. Like you said your advise is free. B)

Roger, I haven't read any post of yours until now where you clearly acknowledged that the same manufacturers who make the high end tub parts make the low end tub parts as well. Thanks for your honesty. I don't think many of the readers would be silly enough to assume that the same exact part used in a D1 or Thermo is the part in their Big Bow tub. But to give the impression IMO as though the parts in those tubs are junk parts seems contradictory if you know the above to be true. Not to mention implying that those same companies are some how dumbing down there lines for the low end consumer. :o

Now as far as your argument regarding the 180 degrees bend pipe, my question is not the pipe flaw but the fact that you mis identified the part as a jet pump when in fact it's a circulation pump. After reading that thread I went away with the impression that you didn't want to be seen as wrong. You never admitted your obvious mistake. Why? If it was a mistake on your part you need to man up. Like you said your advise is free. B)

You may want to read the post by me a bit clearly, I think my words were "you never ever put a 180 right after a pump." Jet pump or circ pump makes no never mind. If I specificly said jet pump then my mistake. But that is irrelevent at this point. Go get it and post it here, If I said jet pump I apoligize for that. But again jet or circ NEVER PUT A 180 AT THE PUMP. Turn the pump on the motor 90 degrees and throw a street 90 in maybe. But the semi truck loads of pumps Hydro bought may not be capable of turning the pump on the motor.

You may want to read the post by me a bit clearly, I think my words were "you never ever put a 180 right after a pump." Jet pump or circ pump makes no never mind. If I specificly said jet pump then my mistake. But that is irrelevent at this point. Go get it and post it here, If I said jet pump I apoligize for that. But again jet or circ NEVER PUT A 180 AT THE PUMP. Turn the pump on the motor 90 degrees and throw a street 90 in maybe. But the semi truck loads of pumps Hydro bought may not be capable of turning the pump on the motor.

Roger, Getting the thread is unnecessary. You acknowledged your mistake and apoligized. (with a little prodding) :D