Hydro Spa

itsallgood

seems, then, that the rumors that they "grew too fast" are inaccurate - it was a LACK of sales, and not TOO MANY sales, that caused their downfall.

Gee, I thought it was all the negative commentary and complaints about lousy customer service. No wonder they never called back.

I don't care what anyone says. It was in my mind simply a mediocre at best product sold at very very low margins and a huge investment to produce it. And then no strong dealer network or service to support it because they was no money to be made from the product. If you could of got 6-7-8 grand for them it would of been good but they wern't good enough tubs for that and word gets around.

The question of the relationship to Costco and Hydrospas - the effect of the big box on the supplier - is interesting. Consider this article. It deals with Wal-Mart, but I believe that the dynamics are similar. Another American industry driven into bankruptcy after a deal with a big retailer (again, not saying that this is the sole factor for Hydrospa. But the stories of Vlasic and Levi Strauss sound so similar to that of Hydrospa that it is scary!).

The question of the relationship to Costco and Hydrospas - the effect of the big box on the supplier - is interesting. Consider this article. It deals with Wal-Mart, but I believe that the dynamics are similar. Another American industry driven into bankruptcy after a deal with a big retailer (again, not saying that this is the sole factor for Hydrospa. But the stories of Vlasic and Levi Strauss sound so similar to that of Hydrospa that it is scary!).

There has been a few big companys that went belly up because of walmart.

Now that the real story is out in the open, those who won these tubs should try to find out how Costco will handle warranty repairs. I wonder what became of the vociferous Hydrospa twins, NW and JWillard?

Nothing has happened to me...other than I have a life other than the one coming on here arguing with you about how crappy your tub is. I never ever said anything other than how my experience has been. My tub is still running fine and I use it every night.

Now that the real story is out in the open, those who won these tubs should try to find out how Costco will handle warranty repairs. I wonder what became of the vociferous Hydrospa twins, NW and JWillard?

Nothing has happened to me...other than I have a life other than the one coming on here arguing with you about how crappy your tub is. I never ever said anything other than how my experience has been. My tub is still running fine and I use it every night.

I don't lump JWillard in with NW.

NW would have everyone believe that the Costco spa is the right spa for everyone and you’re getting the same/equal spa as the premium dealer spas but just paying $4k less. He eevn tried to blame Hydro's demise on this website LOL.

JWillard to me is simply someone who bought a Hydro because at the time it seemed like the right spa to do for him and we should do nothing less than hope his experience is a positive one.

One of the things in the past about Costco Spas is that the company is usually in financial stress and they put a spa in Costco to see if that helps.

Gatsby, Blue Ridge, Caldera all were in deep financial stress when they put spas at Costco.

Almost a year ago, Jim_The_Jim may have been prophetic when he talked about financial woes of companies who placed spas in Costco. HydroSpas may be the latest in the growing line of companies whose financial position is tied to product placement in Costco. The question to be asked is: Does placement in Costco help or hurt a company.

The theme carries over to other companies and industries as well. Another poster shared this link which describes how the tremendous pressure of being a supplier for WalMart likely hurt companies like Vlasic Pickles and Levi Strauss.

Ken

Except that Blue Ridge and Gatsby Spas were the same company. Blue Ridge was the private line for Lowes (and not sold at Costco). They werent two seperate examples as noted. Further, Gatsby Spas was for the most part a mass-merchant only company, Lowes, Depot, Sams, Costco, etc, with limited dealer sales and they were owned by Jacuzzi. In the end it was shut down purely due to poor management, and not so much due to financial distress.

In my opinion Costco and Gatsby parted ways mainly because Gatsby did not bend as much as required by these large companies, as noted in the article or quote linked above.

In my opinion Costco and Gatsby parted ways mainly because Gatsby did not bend as much as required by these large companies, as noted in the article or quote linked above.

I would share the same opinion, which in turn would mean good managment. You need what you need to survive. There's no point doing business to break even. No one does that and survives.