Circulation Pumps?

m3722

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like most questions, to dealers, sometimes the answers are geared towards their products. Some say you need a circulation pump and other say you don't need one.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Having a circ pump means you are not using those big motors all the time to do the same job, less expensive to operate and quieter. Also no programing timed filter cycles.

Having a circ pump means you are not using those big motors all the time to do the same job, less expensive to operate and quieter. Also no programing timed filter cycles.

Yea both methods of filtration work suffiecient with the advantage to a circ pump for quiet and less expensive to operate. But an advantage to the jet pump for moving more water.

Yea both methods of filtration work suffiecient with the advantage to a circ pump for quiet and less expensive to operate. But an advantage to the jet pump for moving more water.

Also having a circulating pump means 24hrs running all the time and unless you are in the spa pushing the water towards the pump it is not being circulated fully. They both have there goods and bads.

Like most questions, to dealers, sometimes the answers are geared towards their products. Some say you need a circulation pump and other say you don't need one.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

The problem is in the use of he word "need". You don't "need" a circp pump but I'd prefer one for reasons of less noise, 24 hr ozone and a bit less energy use.

Also having a circulating pump means 24hrs running all the time and unless you are in the spa pushing the water towards the pump it is not being circulated fully. They both have there goods and bads.

I don't see any up-side to not having a circ pump other then the lower initial cost of a spa.

I don't see any up-side to not having a circ pump other then the lower initial cost of a spa.

I agree but competitors have to sell against it so you'll find people giving examples why they believe a jet pump doing the circulation is better.

I can remember when I moved into my current house there was a Catalina spa that sat under my bedroom window and when that thing kicked on every night I would want to blow the damn thing up.

Now I dont hear a thing unless someone goes out to use the spa.

A spa that uses the low speed of the larger pump will turn over the water in the spa (400 gal. example) about 65 times in during the day with 2 two hour filter cycles the same size spa with the Lang circ pump will turn over the spa about 20 times. Also if you have a heavy bather load (extra people in your spa) you can increase the filtering to accommodate for it something you can not do with a cric pump. As for it being quieter it is true however other than the start up of the pump, it is also very quiet and hardly noticeable. Energy use is about a wash.

A spa that uses the low speed of the larger pump will turn over the water in the spa (400 gal. example) about 65 times in during the day with 2 two hour filter cycles the same size spa with the Lang circ pump will turn over the spa about 20 times. Also if you have a heavy bather load (extra people in your spa) you can increase the filtering to accommodate for it something you can not do with a cric pump. As for it being quieter it is true however other than the start up of the pump, it is also very quiet and hardly noticeable. Energy use is about a wash.

I would have to disagree that the jet pump is quite enough to not be noticeable. When it kicks on at 3 in the morning your going to hear it. If the spa is on a deck connected to the house the sound will be even more noticable due to the vibration that transfers through the deck.

Good points. The noise is sometimes an issue if the spa is next to the house but not a big deal usually. The 2-speed pump may use a bit more enrergy but not much more and it will filter more though both do fine so that's pretty much a wash to me.

The main reason I like a circ pump: 24-hr ozone (assuming of course that you get yourself a good CD ozonator with it)!!

I would have to disagree that the jet pump is quite enough to not be noticeable. When it kicks on at 3 in the morning your going to hear it. If the spa is on a deck connected to the house the sound will be even more noticable due to the vibration that transfers through the deck.

LoL. Lets see I think I said "when it starts" once it is running it hardly noticeable. Yes if you are standing next to it you can hear it but not in the house and as for a deck I can see where it might be a problem but not always and if you have that much vibration you might have bigger issues to concern yourself with but it is true it could possibly vibrate enough at the initial start up about 2 seconds. I would also point out have it kick on at 6 or 8 or what ever time you fits your schedule best.

Good points. The noise is sometimes an issue if the spa is next to the house but not a big deal usually. The 2-speed pump may use a bit more enrergy but not much more and it will filter more though both do fine so that's pretty much a wash to me.

The main reason I like a circ pump: 24-hr ozone (assuming of course that you get yourself a good CD ozonator with it)!!

I know you are a fan of 24 hour ozone but not all are. I respect your thoughts about it. However a high turn over of water in 2 hours with ozone does a mighty fine job of keeping the water clean as well and than you have the added benefit of "perhaps" longer cover life and pillows that are not subject to 24 hours of ozone.

I am going to have to dissagree with part of this. On many brands with circ pumps, Sundance for one example. The circ pump runs 24/7 and the main pump can be programmed to kick on for up to 6 times a day for up to an hour each time. As for quiet. In my eperience there is no comparison.

I know you are a fan of 24 hour ozone but not all are. I respect your thoughts about it. However a high turn over of water in 2 hours with ozone does a mighty fine job of keeping the water clean as well and than you have the added benefit of "perhaps" longer cover life and pillows that are not subject to 24 hours of ozone.

My pillows and cover bottom both will discolor from the ozone but structurally they'll still be fine (I just dumped my cover for a new one, it had lasted 6 ½ yrs) so who cares about ozone discoloring them as long as the water is clean. Now ozone 4 hrs a day is certainly better than nothing but for what it does there is now way I'd sacrifice the 24 hr ozone. I'd say that 5% of the time the extra noise from the 2-speed pump can be bothesome but that's a minor point to me and it gets offset by the extra filtering for the 5% of the time that it matters to people so it's a wash for me on those. IMO, other than ozone, I'd say who cares if you have a circ pump or a 2-speed pump.

Another point to mention is the jet pumps on a spa with a circ pump will last longer because they are not having to kick on and off twice a day and every time it has to kick on to recover temperature.

I have sold spas with both system and I have owned both as well as working on both and I wouldnt own a spa without the circ pump after owning one.

If you would have asked me back 17 years ago I would have been right there with you saying that the bigger pump was the way to go but I've learned a lot and done a lot of repairs since then that have changed my opinion.

I am going to have to dissagree with part of this. On many brands with circ pumps, Sundance for one example. The circ pump runs 24/7 and the main pump can be programmed to kick on for up to 6 times a day for up to an hour each time. As for quiet. In my eperience there is no comparison.

lol. Ahhh YES and it simply points to the short comings of a small circ pump alone. And again yes they are quieter hell they are less than a 1/4 of the size and move about 1/20th the amount of water. But other than start-up the larger pump on low speed which is the filter mode is very quiet also.

lol. Ahhh YES and it simply points to the short comings of a small circ pump alone. And again yes they are quieter hell they are less than a 1/4 of the size and move about 1/20th the amount of water. But other than start-up the larger pump on low speed which is the filter mode is very quiet also.

A larger pump on low speed will use a heck of a lot more power ($$$$) then the smaller circ pump. I hate to bring this up again, but since the HS always puts the water through filters 100% of the time there is no need to have a larger pump in the off hrs pumping water through filters to clean it since its pretty dang clean already. Maybe the other spa's need the extra power to clean at night??? That might then make a good point for your suggetion of the larger pump/low speed.

A larger pump on low speed will use a heck of a lot more power ($$$$) then the smaller circ pump. I hate to bring this up again, but since the HS always puts the water through filters 100% of the time there is no need to have a larger pump in the off hrs pumping water through filters to clean it since its pretty dang clean already. Maybe the other spa's need the extra power to clean at night??? That might then make a good point for your suggetion of the larger pump/low speed.

Sorry Sir but you are way way off. I am happy that you are enjoying your spa but the smaller circ pump running 24 hours a day, will at the end of the month cost about the same as the larger pump running on low speed for a 1/4 of the time. Make no mistake you will filter all of the water (100%) many more times on low speed with the larger pump. As for the comment about not needing to run the larger pump on a Hot Springs it is again incorrect as that is why it is suggested that if you do not use the spa. It is a good idea to go hit the clean up cycle it turns on the larger pump. Hot Springs again builds a good product but there are genuine alternatives to how they choose to do things. Many long and Happy soaks to you Sir.

Sorry Sir but you are way way off. I am happy that you are enjoying your spa but the smaller circ pump running 24 hours a day, will at the end of the month cost about the same as the larger pump running on low speed for a 1/4 of the time. Make no mistake you will filter all of the water (100%) many more times on low speed with the larger pump. As for the comment about not needing to run the larger pump on a Hot Springs it is again incorrect as that is why it is suggested that if you do not use the spa. It is a good idea to go hit the clean up cycle it turns on the larger pump. Hot Springs again builds a good product but there are genuine alternatives to how they choose to do things. Many long and Happy soaks to you Sir.

No need for the "sir" crap. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time and if so I'll be the first to admit it. What you mention is going on the assumption of my tub sitting w/o use so the need to hit the clean button, etc.

If I do the weekly maint checks, and adding needed chemicals and such then that stuff is done anyway so no need to go 'hit the clean cycle randomly'. Hey, I'm still a newbie and some of what I speak is just going off of info. that I've read, heard, and/or assume using regular reasoning. There is a reason tubs do different things different ways. Usually its done for one of 2 reasons, function or cost (or maybe a little of both). When you see the lower end tubs doing common things, then see higher end tubs doing things differently you start to figure, yea maybe one way is better then another way.

Most people on this board already have their tubs and are happy, thats cool. Nobody is trying to change minds here and since I have not owned another brand of tub I can't claim to know about the other brands other then what I am told, read or what salesman have said (though that is not always believable). As I read more I guess I'll continue to learn and also give input on my experience with my tub.

No need for the "sir" crap. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time and if so I'll be the first to admit it. What you mention is going on the assumption of my tub sitting w/o use so the need to hit the clean button, etc.

If I do the weekly maint checks, and adding needed chemicals and such then that stuff is done anyway so no need to go 'hit the clean cycle randomly'. Hey, I'm still a newbie and some of what I speak is just going off of info. that I've read, heard, and/or assume using regular reasoning. There is a reason tubs do different things different ways. Usually its done for one of 2 reasons, function or cost (or maybe a little of both). When you see the lower end tubs doing common things, then see higher end tubs doing things differently you start to figure, yea maybe one way is better then another way.

Most people on this board already have their tubs and are happy, thats cool. Nobody is trying to change minds here and since I have not owned another brand of tub I can't claim to know about the other brands other then what I am told, read or what salesman have said (though that is not always believable). As I read more I guess I'll continue to learn and also give input on my experience with my tub.

I am sorry I thought the use of "sir" was better than "hey dude" You are right if you are doing routine maintenance than that would cover the running of the larger jets. Look I am not trying to give you a hard time but only point out that they are other ways to do things that some quality makers think are better than some other quality makers. A circ pump can be added to or is standard with many low end as well as high end tubs. It just comes down to what you believe in as a maker. Again I genuinely hope you enjoy your tub for many years to come. And again Hot Springs builds a nice spa and is "one" of the best around.

I am sorry I thought the use of "sir" was better than "hey dude" You are right if you are doing routine maintenance than that would cover the running of the larger jets. Look I am not trying to give you a hard time but only point out that they are other ways to do things that some quality makers think are better than some other quality makers. A circ pump can be added to or is standard with many low end as well as high end tubs. It just comes down to what you believe in as a maker. Again I genuinely hope you enjoy your tub for many years to come. And again Hot Springs builds a nice spa and is "one" of the best around.

very well put.