gwmac

Help me decide between Jacuzzi, Hotpring, or Bullfrog

Hi, I posted a few weeks back and got some good replies. At that time I couldn't really buy because I had to get rid of my old Hot Tub and tear down the small wood deck it was on. I have finally done that and now contacting people to pour a concrete patio. As soon as that is done I will be ready to buy. I am not in a big hurry though so if any of these brands tend to run sales in certain months please let me know. I have narrowed my search based on dealers in my area. Here are my choices

Jacuzzi J-315 runs at $9160 and that includes a cover, a chemical start up kit, delivery, & set up.

Bull frog A5L $10,149 R5L $8,353 X5L $6,285

Hotsprings Jetsetter LX runs around $9500 and the regular Jetsetter is around $8500. Has salt or freshwater options.

I need to learn more about the differences between the Bullfrog A5L and R5L, not sure how they differ.  I plan to do a wet test on all 3 before I buy but just thought I would ask you guys what you think about these 3 brands in terms of warranty, durability, quality of parts and construction, things I wouldn't know just by looking at specs and do a wet test. Those intangibles. Between those models listed which would you likely buy? Thanks in advance for your help. 

Edit: I can't do a wet test because all 3 dealers are sold out and also because of Covid. Hot Springs says 26 week lead time and Jacuzzi said around January if I order now. Not sure about Bullfrog. Also looks like all promotions or specials are cancelled due to backlog and high demand. I am wondering if it might not be smart to order now and lock in current prices and get in line rather than risk a price hike next year. 

After waiting twenty years to buy my first tub, I opted to start with a Hotspring Jetsetter.  My dealer's prices were right around yours in 2019 so you're getting a great deal on that considering the surge in demand for tubs right now.  If you can run 220v to your location, I vote for the Jetsetter LX

Only thing I'd suggest is going with an Ozonator setup instead of the Saltwater system.   PM me if you'd like to see a copy of my dealer's recommended care routine using an ozonator and dichlor pellets to see how simple maintenance can be WITHOUT the salt system. 

• Like 1

I have 220 box already installed from my last Hot Tub. The Hot Spring dealer though told me it comes with it's own box and would need to replace the one I have. So that might factor into the final cost because Jacuzzi dealer told me they can use the one I already have. Even though the new box is included I will need to have an electrician install it. But I am leaning towards the Jetsetter LX though I haven't seen the Jacuzzi in person since they are out of stock. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gwmac said:

I have 220 box already installed from my last Hot Tub. The Hot Spring dealer though told me it comes with it's own box and would need to replace the one I have. So that might factor into the final cost because Jacuzzi dealer told me they can use the one I already have. Even though the new box is included I will need to have an electrician install it. But I am leaning towards the Jetsetter LX though I haven't seen the Jacuzzi in person since they are out of stock. 

Honestly I was torn between a J315 and the Jetsetter last year (originally thought I wanted a jacuzzi brand tub until I started researching the product offerings).  However when you look at the internal construction, the Highlife tubs from Hotspring are a step up from the J300-series tubs in my opinion.    Also keep in mind that Hotspring holds a proprietary patent on the Motomassager jet - you won't find this on any other hottubs (except the Hotspring Hotspot SX and TX tubs).   The motomassager in the lounger on my jetsetter is the favorite seat in the tub for both the wife and I.  The pressure is almost too much for my wife when I close off all other jets and send full pressure to the Motomassager for her, but I really enjoy it.    Honestly I'm quite impressed with the Jetsetter's pressure considering I'm running it on 110AC.  My only regret is not getting the LX because it does have a few extra jets on the lounger which would be awesome to have.    

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ratchett said:

Honestly I was torn between a J315 and the Jetsetter last year (originally thought I wanted a jacuzzi brand tub until I started researching the product offerings).  However when you look at the internal construction, the Highlife tubs from Hotspring are a step up from the J300-series tubs in my opinion.    Also keep in mind that Hotspring holds a proprietary patent on the Motomassager jet - you won't find this on any other hottubs (except the Hotspring Hotspot SX and TX tubs).   The motomassager in the lounger on my jetsetter is the favorite seat in the tub for both the wife and I.  The pressure is almost too much for my wife when I close off all other jets and send full pressure to the Motomassager for her, but I really enjoy it.    Honestly I'm quite impressed with the Jetsetter's pressure considering I'm running it on 110AC.  My only regret is not getting the LX because it does have a few extra jets on the lounger which would be awesome to have.    

Thanks. That helps a lot. I want the strongest jets possible which is a major factor in my decision. Going by specs alone the Jacuzzi seems to have less power. Unfortunately I will not be able to wet test any of the 3 brands which is why I need all the help I can get to decide. The one plus for the Jacuzzi is the parts after the warranty goes out. I have heard Hot Springs is more proprietary in their parts and therefore harder and more expensive to repair after the warranty runs out. 

Those are good prices on both Jetsetters.  I have not personally sat in the Jetsetter LX but I have sat in the Jetsetter and I thought it had very good power for a 110v hot tub.  Given the LX is 220v with a larger pump it should have at least as much power if not a bit more.

I have very little hands on experience with Jacuzzi and none with Bullfrog.  I know a few Hot Spring dealers who used to carry Jacuzzi and Bullfrog and all have told me they believe both to be quality products but as dealers both lagged significantly in terms of dealer support compared to Hot Springs.  While I know how a manufacturer supports the dealer may not be important to the consumer, it is to the dealer because it affects how well they can take care of their customers.

At this point, I have not heard of any pending price increases though that could change.  My personal opinion is I would try to make a decision sooner than later.  If your dealer ordered your hot tub today it would be unlikely for you to see if before Christmas and with sales still in high demand these long lead times are going to be with us for a long while.

In my opinion, Jacuzzi parts are more expensive and as hard if not harder to get than Hot Spring.  In my previous life before selling Hot Spring I had a harder time getting Jacuzzi/Sundance parts than I did Hot Spring and what I could get was really expensive.  I personally never agree with any argument that says Hot Spring or Jacuzzi parts are proprietary compared to say a Bullfrog or Marquis.  Just because a brand uses Balboa or Gecko controls, Waterway or CMP jets, Aquaflo or Waterway pumps, etc, doesn't mean they are non-proprietary.  

• Like 2