Tubs For A Tall Family

Daddynme2

Hello, I am looking to make my first hot tub purchase, while I have a ton of questions I want to start with Depth. I noticed that hot tubs vary in depth from 34" to 40". Are these real differences or are tubs mostly the same depth? I am 6'4" and my wife is 5'10". We also have small (for now) kids (ages 7, 10, and 13) so we need a 5-6 person tub. Are there some tub brands that are targeted for taller people. Is deeper better? Also we might want/need seats with varying heights or maybe a temporary booster seat for the 7 year old (the 13 year old is already 5'6'!). Another potential issue is winter. We live in PA and it gets cold so we need great insulation and strength. I think my wife and I would hate to have our shoulders exposed while sitting in the proper position for the jets.

Your help and comments are appreciated. Price is not a main concern, I will pay what I need to because my wife has painful arthritis, but I don't want entertainment/waterfall/light shows and other unnecessary options. I want clean water, excellent hydrotherapy, quiet running, and minimal maintenance (I need a crane to drop it on my second floor deck so I only want to do that once a decade). What brands/models do you recommend. Thank you for all your help.

A perfect example of why WET TESTING is so important.

The overall depth of a spa is irrelevant. The depth of the seat is what is. You could be 7' tall, but if your legs were 6' of that, your torso would be so short you'd drown in any spa. I've seen plenty of couple where one is almost a foot taller standing up, but sitting down and their torsos being about equal, makes them the same height.

Wet Test WET TEST

Second floor deck? Have you have an engineer certify the deck will support the weight?

I do understand the importance of a wet test, however with scores of hot tub makers and dealers I hoped that the knowledgeable and helpful folks on this website could help me narrow down the field to a more manageable number, and get some insight on whether some spa makers do a better job fitting taller people then others.

I have also checked with an engineer that my roof deck was built to hold 12 tons which should be enough to hold 6 average-weight tall adults and a hot tub with 500 gallons of water. All of the 6 person tubs I have looked at are under 7 tons filled. Does anyone else have an opinion about tubs for a tall family.

I would look at Arctic Spas, and specifically the Arctic Tundra. It is 8x8 so it will seat the number of people you are looking for. That spa won a award for Arctic Spas when it was first built due to how the seats are arranged. You can fit taller people like yourself in a very deep seat. It also has shallower seats for your wife and kids. Has a huge footwell in it so lots of room for every ones feet. I also love the power of the big orca jet for feet and lower back. It is a very popular model for us, and should fit every criteria you mentioned. There is a award winning Arctic dealer in PA, but im not sure exactly where you are located. But, you can do a dealer locator on Arctic Spas website as well. If that tub is maybe too big, you might also check out the Arctic Yukon in the 7 ft size.

Other good reputable brands that you will often see mentioned by many are Jacuzzi, Sundance, Hotspring, Marquis, and Dimension One.

I agree with what the others said about wet testing, if you can. If not, then at least sit in the tubs dry if possible. Also, do your research on your local dealers. I can't stress enough how important it is to buy from a good local reputable dealer. Someone who has been in business for a while, and that will be there for you after the purchase when needed. Good luck in your search!

Take a look at the Caldera Cantabria. It's a large spa with varying seat heights and the lounge will even fit your height. It's extremely well constructed and you can also put in a 70 amp heater vs. 50 amp for extreme cold, although I think the 50 would work for your location. I've owned mine for 2 months and went through all the vendors and ended up with a Caldera.

That's good advice. Unfortunately we live in Southeastern PA. The Artic dealers are in Western PA. The New Jersey dealer is quite a drive. More importantly, how do you research dealers. Can you trust Google or Yelp ratings (I usually don't) I have googled hot tub dealer reviews but can't find much. Any ideas?

We have Hot Springs, Coast, Marquis, Caldera, Sunrise, and Free Flow Dealers near us. The D1 is a bit further. We wet tested a Hot Springs Spa when we rented a house in Utah. The jets were great, the waterfall was superfluous, and I felt like the water was gritty or salty. I am not sure how well it was maintained by the rental agent. The tub was a mid range model. Two positions had a good hydrotherapy, the other 3 areas were nothing special. I did not find much on my feet. What we did find was that my wife got relief from her arthritis. THAT's why I want a tub so she can get relief any day she needs it.

Hello, I am looking to make my first hot tub purchase, while I have a ton of questions I want to start with Depth. I noticed that hot tubs vary in depth from 34" to 40". Are these real differences or are tubs mostly the same depth? I am 6'4" and my wife is 5'10". We also have small (for now) kids (ages 7, 10, and 13) so we need a 5-6 person tub. Are there some tub brands that are targeted for taller people. Is deeper better? Also we might want/need seats with varying heights or maybe a temporary booster seat for the 7 year old (the 13 year old is already 5'6'!). Another potential issue is winter. We live in PA and it gets cold so we need great insulation and strength. I think my wife and I would hate to have our shoulders exposed while sitting in the proper position for the jets.Your help and comments are appreciated. Price is not a main concern, I will pay what I need to because my wife has painful arthritis, but I don't want entertainment/waterfall/light shows and other unnecessary options. I want clean water, excellent hydrotherapy, quiet running, and minimal maintenance (I need a crane to drop it on my second floor deck so I only want to do that once a decade). What brands/models do you recommend. Thank you for all your help.

Hi Daddynme22,

I encourage you to take a look at the Caldera Geneva and Niagara. The Geneva seats 6 adults and the Niagara seats 7. The 8-seat Cantabria mentioned in the chain is an excellent spa and very roomy. The Geneva and Niagara are just as deep, but not quite as large. Caldera Spas are build to last, with an emphasis on Pure Performance, Style, and Comfort. Hydrotherapy is top of mind. I encourage you to take a test soak at your local Caldera dealer (http://www.calderaspas.com/en/shopping-tools/find-dealer/). I am happy to answer any questions you may have during your spa search.

Thank you,

Erica

The Caldera Spas Team

i have an old used 1998 Sundance optima. it has one very very low seat for me --6'5" --and my wife likes the remaining three seats at 5'4" for her. the platform by the controls would qualify as a booster seat. not low in the water at all. but, i would gladly look into the other spas these folks mention once my used old spa leaks its last leak and i move on to yet another very cheap, used spa. i mention mine because around here they are so common as a used spa.

• 2 weeks later...

As noted by Dr. Spa: WET TEST.

I carry a brand not currently mentioned: Catalina Spas. I tell each customer the same thing: "I can talk to you until I am blue in the face about the benefits to my brand, but if you do not fit in any of my models comfortably, the point is moot."

Another thing that I and other like-minded individuals have mentioned numerous times elsewhere on this site is all spa sales consist of two equal parts: Brand/Model, and Dealer. Look for a dealer that is reputable, has carried the brand for at least 5 years, and has good enough reviews via the BBB, Angie's List, etc.

Good luck moving forward.

It sounds like Marquis, Caldera, and Hot Springs at the best possible dealer. There is a Marquis dealer within 20 miles and the Hot Springs dealer is 40 miles away. Does anyone have any feedback on Barto Pools, or Spring Dance p? These are the two dealers?

Thanks for all your help.

Hi Daddynme2,

Spring Dance is a fantastic dealer, with several years in the business. I guarantee you the trip will be worth it. If you message your information I can reach out to them personally to ensure you receive excellent service.

Thank you,

Erica

The Caldera Spas Team