Back Stabing In The Industry

willow

:huh:We live one hour north of Toronto and started looking for a spa about 6 weeks ago. It has been a VERY weird ride. beachcomer told us they took over the dealership because the company was not happy with the previous manager. artic spa told us he used to run that beachcomber store but he did not like the product and moved on. he then sent us so many emails, calls and letters that we stoped responding. emailed hot springs for nearest dealership and was sent to a dealership 1 hour away that did not have any hot tubs??? jacuzzi dealer called dynasty crap and the sundance dealer a crook. beachcomber said jacuzzi was going under and the hydropool dealer in midland said that jacuzzi had gone bankrupt years ago and that there was no such thing as a jacuzzi hot tub anymore. must have been dreaming when we wet tested the jacuzzi 365 and put a deposit on it. we bought a tub from the only dealer( we went to 2 jacuzzi dealers) that did not bad mouth any other brand or dealer. Is it always like this or just because of the econemy. this could be the reason that so many people are buying at costco, the sales people don't know anything so they can't bad mouth the industry as a whole.

We live in Barrie and got the same spiel. Seemed like most dealers spent a lot of time bad mouthing the other brands. We ended up getting a Jacuzzi J355. Found the dealer great and was honest from our first meeting. Told us he wasn't going to waste our time bad-mouthing the other brands, instead spent time talking about Jacuzzi. Bent over backwards to arrange wet-test of 3 different models. We've had our spa for just over a month and the dealer has been great, helping us through learning to balance water chemistry and all that. Has always had time to answer all our questions.

Hans was the first dealer we saw. Spent 6 weeks chasing our tail looking for something better, wasted our time. Every dealer we talked to just made Barrie jacuzzi look better and better. Can't wait for our tub!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Yep, we bought from Hans! While we were in there looking, someone else was in, getting their water tested. I asked this person how the after sales service was and they gave a very positive report. That was very important in my decision to buy there.

When we were looking at spas there were a couple of different dealers that tried telling us lies about other dealers and the spas that they sell. We soon dismissed those dealers and went with the one of the dealers who concentrated on their own product, he also applied no pressure.

All I would advise people is that if they come across a spa dealer who says the competition is crap and theirs is the best etc. Is to leave and go to a dealer who will talk about the spas they sell and answer any questions etc.

I have to say as far as trashing the competition goes......my old man always used to say....EVERY KNOCK, IS A BOOST!

I work in sales and absolutely hate when a salesperson trashes the competition, I feel like they are trying to hide their own inferiority.

While I believe in my business (motorcycles) that WE are the only ones with a motorcycle worth 3 squirts of pee.....and I wouldn't be caught dead on anyone else's motorcycle....I never tell customers that.

It's all about integrity and professionalism, bad salespeople say bad things.

Frankly, if your competition sucked that bad....you wouldn't consider them competition.

I walked into a D1 dealer and told him the different hot tubs we were looking at so he could keep it apples to apples, I had a soft spot for the Jacuzzi because of how deep it was and for some reason I just like it....needless to say, he went on to tell me how crappy the Jacuzzi was, but never really told me why the D1 was wonderful. He went on for 10 minutes about how they invented this and that....finally I interrupted him after he told me this guys name who now works for D1 who invented the jet pumps back in the 60's. I just couldn't take it anymore, and got kind of pissy with him, being that he was lying to me. Shared the information about the vietnam river patrol boats powered by Jacuzzi water pumps...and anyways....I went and bought the Jacuzzi.

I hate trashing the competition! Damn amateurs!

This is a lesson all of us in sales can learn from. I'm certainly not the best of them, but I've had several customers buy hot tubs from me, and outright say that they chose to buy from our company specifically because we chose to teach them about our spas, rather than bash our competitors.

Ultimately, the customer wants to hear why your brand is best for them. Not why everything else is "worthless".

:huh:We live one hour north of Toronto and started looking for a spa about 6 weeks ago. It has been a VERY weird ride. beachcomer told us they took over the dealership because the company was not happy with the previous manager. artic spa told us he used to run that beachcomber store but he did not like the product and moved on. he then sent us so many emails, calls and letters that we stoped responding. emailed hot springs for nearest dealership and was sent to a dealership 1 hour away that did not have any hot tubs??? jacuzzi dealer called dynasty crap and the sundance dealer a crook. beachcomber said jacuzzi was going under and the hydropool dealer in midland said that jacuzzi had gone bankrupt years ago and that there was no such thing as a jacuzzi hot tub anymore. must have been dreaming when we wet tested the jacuzzi 365 and put a deposit on it. we bought a tub from the only dealer( we went to 2 jacuzzi dealers) that did not bad mouth any other brand or dealer. Is it always like this or just because of the econemy. this could be the reason that so many people are buying at costco, the sales people don't know anything so they can't bad mouth the industry as a whole.

Wow... that is really sad..

Its "Dog eat Dog" out there. Look The main reason why I bought from Hot Tub Pro in Las Vegas was he did not talk bad about the competitors, he just said compare what we have to what they have. So don't listen to the sales person who talks bad about the competitors (I walk out on two of them in my search for the perfect spa), just look what he is selling and compare it to the other spas out there.

Also remember you get what you pay for. If you buy a $2500 spa, and your neighbor buys a $6700 spa, The neighbors spa will probably do more. I'm not saying to run out and buy the most expensive spa out there, buy the one that is best for your budget and deal with it (heck look on craigslist you may find a good deal but have fun moving it and setting it up).

I bought a Cal Spa, and while you may or may not like them, I can honestly say in the hour we spent talking to the salesmen, he never once mentioned another brand. He only talked about the CalSpa brand and its features/benefits/methods. I can also say that if he had tried to bash other brands, I would have walked. Sell me on your merits, not some other brand's short comings.

It seems many spa dealers are acting like politicians. Ugly.

I hate trashing the competition! Damn amateurs!

This is a lesson all of us in sales can learn from. I'm certainly not the best of them, but I've had several customers buy hot tubs from me, and outright say that they chose to buy from our company specifically because we chose to teach them about our spas, rather than bash our competitors.

Ultimately, the customer wants to hear why your brand is best for them. Not why everything else is "worthless".

Very true in all sales.

Then there's my dealer who I stopped buying supplies from because I wasn't buying stuff as fast as the owners manual recommended. Silver cartridges cost $45 and when I went to replace mine after a year he told me that I'd get a rash if I didn't replace it on schedule. Of course the first year my kids spent a lot of time in the spa and my wife's got sensitive skin and no-one had any problems so I knew he was FOS. I didn't bother to tell him how many graduate courses in water chemistry that I've taken.

This all reminds me of when I went to buy a pool table.

Same Games!!!

There's a whole lot of items in this world that take a savy shopper to purchase smart. It used to be common practice to become a "Savy Shopper" but this world of big outlet stores with no knowledgable sales staff has led us to this point. Most people don't know how to be a savy shopper. And most people don't want to be one. Research is one thing but the face to face is the important thing. Some people find it easy. I love mass merchants for the things I know what I want like food and everyday staples. But for appliances, electronics, autos, houses, land and vacations I like to negotiate. It's in my blood. Hot tubs fall into appliances.