Anyone Put Wheels On Hot Tub..and Left Them On?

Merlin777

Can Hot Tub (safely) Sit on WHEELS ?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a GREAT IDEA?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Have you done this yourself, or actually seen it done?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What about the furniture dollies?

• HOOK THEM TOGETHER with a framework
    • Leave them SEPARATE

I will be moving my Hot Tub from outside to the inside of a newly constructed 20 x 40 Screened Room. It has a new concrete floor. What I would LIKE to do, is be able to put it different places in the room, depending on season, parities, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has put WHEELS on their Hot Tub... and LEFT them on...making it "portable" (per the title of this forum")? Seems like six of those "furniture dollies" from Harbor Freight would work? Each of them have 4 wheels, and the load/capacity of each dolly is 1,000 pounds. I would plan to use six around the edge/bottom of the Hot Tub. Don't know if would need to also put one in the middle....

HELP please with your comments, suggestions....

Thanks !!

I will be moving my Hot Tub from outside to the inside of a newly constructed 20 x 40 Screened Room. It has a new concrete floor. What I would LIKE to do, is be able to put it different places in the room, depending on season, parities, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has put WHEELS on their Hot Tub... and LEFT them on...making it "portable" (per the title of this forum")? Seems like six of those "furniture dollies" from Harbor Freight would work? Each of them have 4 wheels, and the load/capacity of each is 1,000 pounds. I would plan to use six around the edge/bottom of the Hot Tub. Don't know if would need to also put one in the middle....

HELP please with your comments, suggestions....

Thanks !!

Great idea if you can figure out how to evenly support the entire bottom of the tub. Not just where the 6 wheels are but the entire bottom. You will need some kind of frame.

...Great idea if you can figure out how to evenly support the entire bottom of the tub. Not just where the 6 wheels are but the entire bottom. You will need some kind of frame.

THANKS for the reply!! (Seeing that over 3 dozen members have viewed my question, with no one even commenting....I was prepared to back off from my idea...)

From looking at it where it sits now, it appears the only place it touched the ground is around the perimeter (outside edges). Maybe in the middle, at the deepest part.

The Harbor Freight "furniture moving dollies" EACH have 4 wheels, and are padded on the top. (Kind of like the flat thing auto mechanic would use to slide under your car, but smaller). The outside perimeter of the hot tub is about 6 ft x 7 ft. I took one side panel off, and it looks like there is a 2 x 4 wood frame at the bottom, on the inside of the hot tub. So, I figure one of the 4-wheel flat dollies at each corner; 2 more in the middle of each of the longer sides; and have one more on standby if, when we start moving it into the screened room, it looks like the very middle needs support.

I could use additional 2 x 4's and go ahead and nail all six dollies into the size/shape of the hot tub....but, that might make it a lot harder to get the hot tub up on the dollies. With them loose/separate, I figure we can lift up one side, put the three dollies in place; then, life up the other side and put the other three in place. (I'll need to have "chocks" of wood to keep the dollies from sliding over.)

The hot tub has to go through the new door of the new screen room, so the hot tub will have to be stood upright to go through the door. (Yes...I have measured, and it will go through; that was a factor in the size door I had put in the new screen room.) The floor of the screen room is six inches of poured concrete, on poured concrete footers, with 1/4 inch of epoxy sealer/color on top.

The store that I originally bought the hot tub from (2 years ago) has me scheduled for their 3-man-team to move the hot tub this coming Saturday 10 Oct 2009. They are charging the same thing they charged when they originally installed the hot tub....$150 ($50 CASH for each man). I have NOT told them I plan on putting the hot tub on top of furniture dollies...

IF I end up doing this, I'll share pictures here of the outcome....

YOUR COMMENTS....SUGGESTIONS....WORDS-OF-ENCOURAGEMENT.....ARE WELCOME !!

I would build a frame, 1 on each corner and 1 in the middle. This way it would have support all the way around. To get it on, you could slide it against a wall then lit up one end of the tub and slide it on. You want to make sure you have the way distributed evenly all around. If you are still under warranty I would not tell them you are doing this.

Ok, maybe I'm missing something, but if you're going to wheel it around the room, how are you going to get the electrical to move around with it? Since most spas are hard wired, I don't see how you'll deal with that? Maybe you have a 110 spa and have enough plugs that it will always be within 10 feet of a plug? Just trying to visualize how it would move around ya know?

Also, just a thought. You might want to use more than 2x4's for the frame you build. Since it will have over 5000 lbs on it, it could easily flex and if it does I would think the shell of the tub could start to get little cracks and then you have a mess on your hands. It's kind of like a tile floor. If you get any flex in the floor the grout and tile will start to crack. I think a tub would be the same, but maybe I'm thinking they are more rigid than they seem to be.

You could use 50 amp electric stove plug-ins placed strategically around the space where the spa will be, all wired to the same GFCI disconnect box. A 50 amp pig tale for an electric stove could be used to get electricity to the spa itself.

I would consider welding up a metal frame to bolt the wheels to, it would be much stronger and more rigid than 2x4s. If you don't weld, there are lots of small welding shops around that could do it for you cheap.

Dave

You could use 50 amp electric stove plug-ins placed strategically around the space where the spa will be, all wired to the same GFCI disconnect box. A 50 amp pig tale for an electric stove could be used to get electricity to the spa itself.

I would consider welding up a metal frame to bolt the wheels to, it would be much stronger and more rigid than 2x4s. If you don't weld, there are lots of small welding shops around that could do it for you cheap.

Dave

don't forget to figure in the weight of full of water hot tub. water is 8 lbs a gallon

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Unless you build a *very* rigid frame or have a *very* level floor, you're going to be creating all kinds of small stresses on the tub as you roll it across the floor. Over time these stresses will eventually cause a leak or some kind of failure. Not to mention how you're going to deal with the pure logistics of moving something this heavy around without a winch. Unless you have steel wheels, the rubber will flatten slightly on the wheels and it'll take a good heave-ho to get it going. Yes these tubs are "portable." But so are aquariums. And I'd think a very risky proposition to try to move one while it's filled.

As for electrical, if it's on wheels, I think you can use flexible cording and be within code (SOOW or SJOW, I can't remember)?

Some GREAT comments and suggestions...some I had thought of...and some new ones....

My comments/responses below:

If you are still under warranty I would not tell them you are doing this.

I've had it two years; it's out of warranty. I'm not going to even tell the "installation crew" that this is what I plan, until they show up...

Maybe you have a 110 spa and have enough plugs that it will always be within 10 feet of a plug?

.... it will have over 5000 lbs on it, it could easily flex

Bingo!! It's the largest, strongest 110 I could find at the time.

About the weight...I never was very good in math...but, seem I recall if you put multiple points of support the weight is divided by that number or some such.... There will be six four-wheeled dollies around the perimeter, and one additional 4-wheel dolly in the middle...

Dave

I'm in a small town... not many welding shops... I agree metal would be better...kind of like a rail/bedframe for a waterbed...but, I got the dolly's on sale today at Harbor Freight for $9.99 each !!

Check it out HERE

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Unless you build a *very* rigid frame or have a *very* level floor,

I paid about $250 extra to have the concrete TOTALLY LEVEL, knowing in advance I was thinking about doing this...

Here's a pix of the dolly.

93888.gif

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Unless you build a *very* rigid frame or have a *very* level floor, you're going to be creating all kinds of small stresses on the tub as you roll it across the floor. Over time these stresses will eventually cause a leak or some kind of failure. Not to mention how you're going to deal with the pure logistics of moving something this heavy around without a winch. Unless you have steel wheels, the rubber will flatten slightly on the wheels and it'll take a good heave-ho to get it going. Yes these tubs are "portable." But so are aquariums. And I'd think a very risky proposition to try to move one while it's filled.

As for electrical, if it's on wheels, I think you can use flexible cording and be within code (SOOW or SJOW, I can't remember)?

I think hot tubs are more sturdy than you think.

I can push my 6000 lb pickup truck over a level gravel driveway by myself and I'm no Hercules.! :) A hot tub on hard rubber wheels and smooth cement should be a piece of cake!

Dave

I can push my 6000 lb pickup truck over a level gravel driveway by myself and I'm no Hercules.! :) A hot tub on hard rubber wheels and smooth cement should be a piece of cake!

Dave

Good reference to think about....

I move my 19 foot Cape Horn center console boat around on the driveway...pushing it by myself....

Dave

Good reference to think about....

I move my 19 foot Cape Horn center console boat around on the driveway...pushing it by myself....

My point of reference was a loaded cart at Lowes. I've had a couple loaded to 1000 lb or so. I was the little guy in school :). I can push my 2700 lb camper around, but I always thought it was bigger wheels. Come to think of it you could "borrow" a few of those carts and weld them together. ;)

I think it's a bad idea to leave it on wheels. At least, to leave it on those cheap Harbor Freight dolly wheels. Those dollies are made to handle the weight for a short time, they are not made to handle the weight for a long period of time. I think that over time the axle of the wheels will start to cut into the inside of the wheel, which will make them very difficult to move.

If you are going to put the tub on wheels, I would buy some heavy duty casters that have some kind of bearings in them (ball bearings or roller bearings). I believe those types of wheels will hold up better over the long term. Just build a frame out of 2x4's or 2x6's that will line up with the frame of the hot tub, and them mount the heavy duty wheels to that frame. Maybe even use some heavy plywood to go all the way under the tub to give it good support. No matter what you do, I would want all the wheels tied together so that one of them doesn't move or slip out while you are trying to move the tub.

Personally, I wouldn't want to leave my tub on wheels. I would try to build a system that could lift the tub a little bit, allow you to roll it, and then set it back down onto the concrete. Some kind of a floor jack system. I mean, if you think about it, how often do you plan to move it around? I could see moving it for a seasonal usage, or for a special event, but for most days I would think that you wouldn't need it that mobile.

Good luck with the concept, and post pictures if you do it.

A few thoughts.

1. If you make a frame, (Which I think I would and use metal) Why not attach it to the tub while its on its side then lay it down on it. Just be sure to block/scotch the wheels when you tip it back down.

2. The rubber wheels will cause problems over time with the weight. if you use those maybe consider being able to jack it up and block it so the wheels are not carrying the weight.

3. Sounds like a cool Idea to keep your space versatile.

A few thoughts.

1. If you make a frame, (Which I think I would and use metal) Why not attach it to the tub while its on its side then lay it down on it. Just be sure to block/scotch the wheels when you tip it back down.

2. The rubber wheels will cause problems over time with the weight. if you use those maybe consider being able to jack it up and block it so the wheels are not carrying the weight.

3. Sounds like a cool Idea to keep your space versatile.

At the moment...I don't plan on making a frame....

I've taken a panel off to look inside, and there is already a frame at the bottom.

The hard-rubber wheels may end up being a problem...will have to ponder some more on that. I think I may at least initially try putting it on wheels....just to see where we will most-likely use it...

Even if it ends up staying in basically the same place, at the moment I don't know how close to put it to the side screen room wall and the back brick wall. So, it might be good to move it around a little, find the best place, and THEN remove the dollies.....

My wife likes to continually move furniture around (naturally, I have to do the heavy lifting)..... We have a patio table with 4 chairs; big stainless grill; two rocker lounge chairs; large live plants; cable TV; wireless computer table.... and soon, the Hot Tub....

So..."versatile space" is desirable....

I seen a guy at one of the spa/pool shows a quite while back selling just this type of thing, it was a frame on metal ball bearing looking wheels. He was marketing them for showroom floor use which I thought was a good idea, but I don't know anyone who bought one.

They kinda looked like this with wheels instead of pads. http://www.thespalevel-r.com/index.html

I seen a guy at one of the spa/pool shows a quite while back selling just this type of thing, it was a frame on metal ball bearing looking wheels. He was marketing them for showroom floor use which I thought was a good idea, but I don't know anyone who bought one.

They kinda looked like this with wheels instead of pads. http://www.thespalevel-r.com/index.html

Wow...that would be a PERFECT thing to put wheels on....except for the price....

Thanks for sharing this

It will need to be framed up under it as if it was going on a deck so their will me NO FLEX.

Thanks for the comment.

Why would it need to have support under it where it does not normally touch the floor?

I've taken the side panels off, and it appears that it ONLY touches the floor around the perimeter and in the center at the deepest point....

I don't think you will find wheels that will support that much weight. If it is a 300 gallon spa it would weigh 2400 pounds not including the weight of the spa or people in it.

I would think the wheels would either compress over time and become somewhat flattened or the wheels could slowly sink into the concrete, not very far but they could develop an indent which would make it hard to move.

It will need to be framed up under it as if it was going on a deck so their will me NO FLEX.

Thanks for the comment.

Why would it need to have support under it where it does not normally touch the floor?

I've taken the side panels off, and it appears that it ONLY touches the floor around the perimeter and in the center at the deepest point....

My fear is that the bottom of your tub may flex and crack over time, causing leaks. Since tubs are designed to sit on the ground, or a solid surface, they may have designed it in such a way that the bottom of the tub is supported by the ground. I don't think that the $12 Chinese made moving cart is going to be enough support for the weight of the tub and the people in it. I think some type of deck, or some heavyweight plywood will help distribute the weight evenly across the entire frame of the tub. There would be less chance of flexing the tub this way.

But, I'm no engineer, tub designer, or tub service guy. So I really have no idea what it would take to support your tub. I don't even think you've said what brand it is. You may want to talk with your dealer to see what he thinks of the idea. Since its already out of warranty, the dealer might love the idea since it will increase his repair visits. :D