Costco Infinity Sun Peak Spa

mcpetran

Just a thought:

I have watched the Hot Tub or Hot Spa as we now refer to them.

HotTub sounds cheap doesn't it but a Hot Spa somehow sounds like its better and should cost more.

What's a Hot Spa? I've never heard that term. I do think the industry as a whole suffers from an identity crisis. "Hot Tub" sounds so 70s. Most people think of a "Spa" as a place you go to, not a thing you buy. And you can't call it a Jacuzzi, that's proprietary - and yet most people use the term "Jacuzzi" as a generic term for a whirlpool bathtub.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit, buying a hot-tub on-line was risky, but it was worth a try considering the massive savings and CostCo's policy of "satisfaction guarantee and we take returns". I know it's a BIG HUGE ITEM to return, but believe me, I'm an EXCELLANT complainer. And, I know how to go "straigth to the top of CostCo's command leaders - Executive Officers, major Stock Holders, etc" if I do not get the service as stated in their warranty. So, with this legal document in hand (i mean the warrany and their policy of returns), I conducted as much research as I could, I felt somewhat comfortable in making this purchase.

I won't buy some items on-line either, but Costco is pretty damn reputable and they don't like for their customers to be unhappy. Keep in mind, they take "word of mouth" adverstisement (whether it's negative or positve) very seriously. And, they do not like to irritate upper upper upper management. I'm not in the Retail industry, but I work in an Executive Office, we do not like to receive information from un-satisfied customers....... that's the bottom line. Once we receive notification from an un-satisfied customer, WE MOVE MOUNTAINS to make them happy.

Again, it's still early, and I'm pretty happy now. Once I become an "un-satisfied" customer, I'll keep ya'll updated.

Selling Hot Tubs....Yes I said Hot Tubs out of a showroom is necessary to get the high prices and lthe arge markup as you can corner,scare and sell up a customer and get him hyped into signing.But as more companies come online through the Internet this drives the price down.

The new generation is computer savvy and not scared of buying from around the world from the comfort of his or her computer.

Lots of things can be purchased online. Some things can't. I'm as computer savvy as the next person, but I will never buy a pair of shoes online. Or any clothes for that matter. I have to try them on first. I won't buy food online. I won't buy a car online either, I have to test drive one first. And, I know many people have purchased hot tubs without testing them, but I will never be one of those people. And I know I'm not alone. So, dealers will always be around.

Well then you are living in the past my friend.

Bought a great pair of expensive runners for my son.My wife and daughter my daughters boyfriend my daughters friends need I go on all buy clothing,belts,shoes online.Zapos.com offers free shipping and return for free if they do not fit.

So you may be computer savy but not with the program yet.

Oh did I tell you I alsio have built several computers for myself and friends before anyone thought of doing this.You can pick your parts out and build a better system.

ALSO YOU WONT BUY FOOD ONLINE?you prefer to spend your time in a grocery store on your days off and not have it delivered to your door?

Movie theaters will never die,there will never be colour TV,the internet is just a passing phase I will never own a computer as I think its stupid.

To D.P.

There are a lot of older people that think like you.They do not want to take any chances and want to play it safe.Heck there are people that I know that are too scared to use there charge cards online.

Well thank god because it allows me to get some great deals online.

You do not sound too technically oriented so you probably are into management,teacher of some opposite end of being handy with tools so you are probably wise to stick with what you know.

Please do not take this as a personal attack just an observation.

I'd say that's a "specific", don't you think?

Do you really think every person who has bought a tub and had problems went and called the BBB? I highly doubt it!

In my 40 years of life I have had numerous issues with products/businesses and never even called the BBB. I did look up a contractor who worked on my home 2 years ago before having my bathroom remodeled and they had only 1 complaint and have been in business 15 yrs. They were by far the worst company I have ever done business with....so do you really get an accurate report by looking them up on the BBB? I had a friend who actually used his riding lawn mower incorrectly and messed up the blade assembly....he tried to get it fixed and because it was his own fault it wasn't covered. He filed a report with the BBB complaining about the business.

Actually you stated 27 complaints...it actually says 37 on the site...which your link is not right...the correct link is

BBB

THIS IS VERY INTERESTING.

It is a quote from ROGER post under the topic of Bubbles and Blisters and the spa turned out to be a D1

ROGER SAID

Not that it matters but I am curios what brand it is, this information will also help us to direct you on your options. Sometimes a blister is minor thing, other times they just keep showing up. Depends on the manufacturer and there record. Alot has to do with the process, some manufacturers have a process that cuts corners and separation of acrylic and fiberglass is more likely.

What do you think.I think old Roger was hoping that this was one of those cheap fall apart internet spas.Gee I wonder how this story will unfold.

Roger were you digging for some dirt?

Roger D1 isn,t cutting corners are they.

Don,t get all ape on me and call me asshole like you did on a previous post or I will have to go running to Tom.

Well then you are living in the past my friend.

Bought a great pair of expensive runners for my son.My wife and daughter my daughters boyfriend my daughters friends need I go on all buy clothing,belts,shoes online.Zapos.com offers free shipping and return for free if they do not fit.

ALSO YOU WONT BUY FOOD ONLINE?you prefer to spend your time in a grocery store on your days off and not have it delivered to your door?

Movie theaters will never die,there will never be colour TV,the internet is just a passing phase I will never own a computer as I think its stupid.

1) When I buy shoes, I usually have to try on at least 8-10 pairs to find one that fits right. Same thing with clothes. I'll have to try Zapos, I'll put them out of business!

2) I'm glad you buy food online. I'll pick all the good fruits and vegetables without the bruises & stuff, and the best looking cuts of meat. They'll send you what's left over.

3) Movie theaters will die, of course. I rarely, if ever, go to theaters. I rent them online and then watch them on my home theater, which consists entirely of electronics I bought online, and then wired up myself. I'm not a computer-phobe.

My point is that the internet only shows you PICTURES of what you want to buy. That's it. Sometimes you need to use your other senses (remember taste, touch, and smell, and hearing?) to make a buying decision. To me, the most important thing about a hot tub is how it FEELS, and that's not something you can figure out no matter how long you stare at a computer screen.

To D.P.

There are a lot of older people that think like you.They do not want to take any chances and want to play it safe.Heck there are people that I know that are too scared to use there charge cards online.

Well thank god because it allows me to get some great deals online.

You do not sound too technically oriented so you probably are into management,teacher of some opposite end of being handy with tools so you are probably wise to stick with what you know.

Please do not take this as a personal attack just an observation.

Okay, I'm older, I don't want to take chances, I'm scared, not technically oriented, and I'm not handy with tools. But don't worry, I won't take that as a personal attack. :lol:

Do you really think every person who has bought a tub and had problems went and called the BBB? I highly doubt it!

In my 40 years of life I have had numerous issues with products/businesses and never even called the BBB. I did look up a contractor who worked on my home 2 years ago before having my bathroom remodeled and they had only 1 complaint and have been in business 15 yrs. They were by far the worst company I have ever done business with....so do you really get an accurate report by looking them up on the BBB? I had a friend who actually used his riding lawn mower incorrectly and messed up the blade assembly....he tried to get it fixed and because it was his own fault it wasn't covered. He filed a report with the BBB complaining about the business.

Actually you stated 27 complaints...it actually says 37 on the site...which your link is not right...the correct link is

BBB

1. No, I don't think every person who had a problem called the BBB. I think a PERCENTAGE did. And the percentage who called about problems with their Costco tubs appears to be higher than the percentage that called with problems with their "premium" tubs. So, if Hot Spring does manufacture a higher number of spas than the Costco makers' tubs, then a higher percentage of Costco buyers are unhappy with their tubs.

2. So we have a nationwide organization that takes feedback and investigates complaints from thousands of people all across the country. But, your friend had a bad lawnmower, so that negates the whole thing?

3) I stated 27 complaints in the past year, but it's 28. The 38 complaints was in the past three years. The point being that Hydro Spa's complaints have jumped up remarkably in the past year - perhaps in relation to their sales at Costco. It will be interesting to see what their complaint numbers will look like in a few more years. Thanks for fixing my link, though.

O.K. I'm back and I,m sure I can get this thing rollin again.

D.P. YOU SAID

Sometimes you need to use your other senses (remember taste, touch, and smell, and hearing?) to make a buying decision.

Yet you bought your home theater online?

Didn't you have to touch, and smell, and hear it it first?

I take it this is the sometimes you don't rule?

O.K. I'm back and I,m sure I can get this thing rollin again.

D.P. YOU SAID

Sometimes you need to use your other senses (remember taste, touch, and smell, and hearing?) to make a buying decision.

Yet you bought your home theater online?

Didn't you have to touch, and smell, and hear it it first?

I take it this is the sometimes you don't rule?

You're right, sometimes you don't need to use your other senses to shop. I think electronics are one of those areas. When I went shopping for a projector, I was concerned about how loud it was - having a projector's fan right near your head can sometimes be annoying. However, it's easy to find out how loud a projector is online, those sorts of stats are posted everywhere. So, I knew exactly what I was getting into.

When buying a hot tub, many people get annoyed at how loud the pumps are. That sort of information is NOT online, as far as I can tell. So, if I want to find out, I have to go to the dealer and try it out.

I think the vast majority of things can and SHOULD be purchased online, for lots of reasons. My goal for the past few years has been to do all my Christmas shopping online, without setting foot in a retail store. I came close for several years, and finally made it last year. I just think that there are a FEW items - and hot tubs are one of them - where you just can't get the information you want online.

So I take it you wouldn't go for a mail order bride even though she was a 10.

I take it you also wouldn't jump (pardon the pun) an online offer for a night with Pamela Anderson,Angelina Jolie or another any other women or perhaps man of your dreams online as she or He might snore in her or His sleep or have cold feet?

So I take it you wouldn't go for a mail order bride even though she was a 10.

I take it you also wouldn't jump (pardon the pun) an online offer for a night with Pamela Anderson,Angelina Jolie or another any other women or perhaps man of your dreams online as she or He might snore in her or His sleep or have cold feet?

In winter they might cost to much to operate. lolol

John

1. No, I don't think every person who had a problem called the BBB. I think a PERCENTAGE did. And the percentage who called about problems with their Costco tubs appears to be higher than the percentage that called with problems with their "premium" tubs. So, if Hot Spring does manufacture a higher number of spas than the Costco makers' tubs, then a higher percentage of Costco buyers are unhappy with their tubs.

2. So we have a nationwide organization that takes feedback and investigates complaints from thousands of people all across the country. But, your friend had a bad lawnmower, so that negates the whole thing?

3) I stated 27 complaints in the past year, but it's 28. The 38 complaints was in the past three years. The point being that Hydro Spa's complaints have jumped up remarkably in the past year - perhaps in relation to their sales at Costco. It will be interesting to see what their complaint numbers will look like in a few more years. Thanks for fixing my link, though.

First why do you insist on calling them Costco tubs...Costco doesn't make tubs...they sell other brands of tubs. And I never said my friend's issue negates anything but merely stated that when people call make a complaint with the BBB it doesn't mean its a legitimate complaint.

Makes you wonder what type of people we are dealing with here. If they purchased a tub through Costco why complain to the BBB when you can return the tub. Thats exactly what I would do...if I were having a problem with my tub and not getting any satisfaction from the manufacturer, especially if it were still under warranty.

The BBB doesnt give you enough information on issues to make a sound decision on their stats....IMO.

First why do you insist on calling them Costco tubs...Costco doesn't make tubs...they sell other brands of tubs. And I never said my friend's issue negates anything but merely stated that when people call make a complaint with the BBB it doesn't mean its a legitimate complaint.

Makes you wonder what type of people we are dealing with here. If they purchased a tub through Costco why complain to the BBB when you can return the tub. Thats exactly what I would do...if I were having a problem with my tub and not getting any satisfaction from the manufacturer, especially if it were still under warranty.

The BBB doesnt give you enough information on issues to make a sound decision on their stats....IMO.

1) When people make a complaint that gets registered with the BBB it IS a legitimate complaint. They investigate every complaint. I know, I recently tried to file a complaint against a company for false advertising (the company made up fictional research in support of its claims). The BBB rejected my complaint, as they decided I wasn't a "customer" of that business, so they deleted the complaint. They only investigate complaints from actual customers who have documentation of their purchases and the problems involved. I honestly wish they were less stringent in their guidelines, so complaints like mine could be addressed. Anyway, unlike epinions, ripoffreport, or other sites, you can be certain that every complaint on the BBB site is valid.

2) I know Costco doesn't make tubs. I call them Costco tubs because most of them are basically the same - poorly insulated, badly engineered and manufactured (in many people's professional opinions) and not backed up with any customer support.

3) If I wanted a Costco tub, and I either didn't want or couldn't afford one of the national brands, I'd have to take several steps. First, I'd first have to put down a base - in my case, a concrete slab (several hundred bucks). Then, I'd have to hire an electrician to run wiring for me (110V or 220V, but several hundred dollars). Then, I might have to pay the delivery drivers to move the spa into place for me. Either way, I'll have invested a lot of money before I take my first soak. If I'm unhappy with the tub, I don't want my money back, I want to get my tub fixed! If they won't help me, I'll go to anyone else who might help me fix the problem, including the BBB. Why would I return it to Costco - sure, I'd get my money back, but then I'd have NO TUB!! What am I supposed to do with an empty patio???

4) As to my oft-repeated BBB ratings. Hopefully, this will be the last time I have to post this (and there was much rejoicing). The following list contains most of the brands I've looked at, and their complaints within the last 36 months & the last 12 months:

Company 36 mos 12 mos

Arctic 0 / 0

Artesian 0 / 0

Bullfrog 2 / 1

Marquis 3 / 1

D1 4 / 3

Watkins 10 / 3

Master 24 / 10

Jacuzzi / Sundance 31 / n/a

Hydro Spas 37 / 27

Cal Spas 84 / n/a

Thermospas 129 / 60*

Infinity 4 4*

The two asterisks at the bottom are the two companies that have Unsatisfactory ratings with the BBB. So, Infinity has only had 4 complaints, but they've ignored the complaints they've had. The "n/a" for some companies indicates that some branches of the BBB only keep 36 month figures, and not 12 month figures. And keep in mind that I don't have actual production numbers to go with it.

Do you notice the break there, between Watkins and Master? Do you see how the brands that most people refer to as "premium" are at the top of the list, with few (if any) complaints? And that the brands that are usually referred to as "junk" are towards the bottom of the list? Do you really think there's no correlation here at all?

Company 36 mos 12 mos

Arctic 0 / 0

Artesian 0 / 0

Bullfrog 2 / 1

Marquis 3 / 1

D1 4 / 3

Watkins 10 / 3

Master 24 / 10

Jacuzzi / Sundance 31 / n/a

Hydro Spas 37 / 27

Cal Spas 84 / n/a

Thermospas 129 / 60*

Infinity 4 4*

Dp

Is there anything about nordic in the BBB report???

Thank you John 104 degrees