Costco Infinity Sun Peak Spa

mcpetran

Can you post a pic of the insulation in your spa?? Also i would like to know if you have access doors on all 4 sides of your spa, that would make it easy to add insulation.

do you live where it gets cold?? zero and lower? Thank you.

John 104 degrees

I don't have any pictures to post but the configuration of my Platinum Elite 2 is probably the same as the others. Yes, the panels all around are removable but the only panels I've ever removed are the one for the pump compartment and one other near it to provide access for the electrical install. Winter temps here rarely go below zero and are usually in the 20s and 30s. I have never even considered adding insulation around the sides as the tub doesn't use that much power. Also, I happen to actually know a little bit about heat transfer so I know that most of the heat loss is through the cover and from the use of the tub when the cover is off, the pumps are running, and the water is evaporating. Adding insulation around the sides would be only to reduce passive heat loss from the sides and that's already quite low, making the economic benefit of adding more insulation there very small. I did spend about 5 minutes, when the tub was new, adding a $5 roll of 3/8" tubular foam insert around the top between the sides and the edge of the shell which may have slightly reduced heat loss.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard anyone post anything negative about the Infinity Sun Peak and, having owned a Platinum Elite 2 for a year, I find it extremely hard to believe anyone who says there is anything wrong with that model of tub.

So you're saying that since you've had good luck with your spa that invalidates anyone else's experience with their same model? Your sample of 1 is enough to conclude that all other reports of issues are baseless?

Doesn't matter. The point is that it is a hot tub that was insufficiently insulated for the market area (Edmonton, Alberta) in which it was sold. Brand or retailer is irrelevant. It could be any of a dozen brands.

Oh, it matters greatly.

You're trying to spread disinformation about Coscto tubs. This is the "Costco Infinity Sun Peak Spa" thread, is it not? You were replying to a quote by John 104 Degrees: "Try and keep one of theses [sIC] spas at 104 degrees whan [sIC] its Zero [sIC] outside without it being properly insulated."

Thank you, I guess.... (It's nice to know that I am doing a good job!!)

It's nice to know that a moderator--someone not only representing this site, but policing it too--takes it upon themselves to cast outright mistruths and lies about a product they admittedly know nothing about.

Congratulations are in order, Tom. Bravo!

I have never heard anyone post anything negative about the Infinity Sun Peak and, having owned a Platinum Elite 2 for a year, I find it extremely hard to believe anyone who says there is anything wrong with that model of tub.

So you're saying that since you've had good luck with your spa that invalidates anyone else's experience with their same model? Your sample of 1 is enough to conclude that all other reports of issues are baseless?

So you're saying that since you've had bad luck with your spa, that invalidates everyone else's experience with their same model? Your D1 might be a pile of junk but anyone who looks at one can tell if they are a good tub or not. Same for my tub.

Theses are some who had problems. My biggest problem is with the insulation or "non insulation" on theses tubs.

They do not seem that they will hold heat in the winter time so your electric bill will soar. where is the saving then???

I know that if i dont wrap my Crown Xl it will cost about 2 to 3 hundred more a month then if i wrap it.

Try and keep one of theses spas at 104 degrees whan its Zero outside without it being properly insulated.

John 104 degrees

You've never owned one of 'these tubs' so you have no idea how much they cost to run . I do, and my tub would certainly never cost even $100 per month to run when the outside temp was 0F and the tub was set at 104F, much less the "2 or 3 hundred more a month" that you hint at for your Crown XI, whatever that is. I have no idea what your tub is like but if it's costing you even $200 per month to run, it must be an older tub of some sort. Why don't you just cut loose and buy a costco tub? The savings in power costs alone would pay for the new costco tub.

Ya'll crack me up!

From a dealer perspective, I thought I'd share this with you fine folks:

All of the low-end spas being sold by Sam's, Costco, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc are having a minimal, if non-existent, effect on our business'. The people who are going to buy a cheap spa are always going to go cheap...that's fine. The people who want quality and value are invariably going to go with an established product that meets or exceeds their expectations. That is our customer...and business is booming.

Back when I used to worry about Sam's and Wal-Mart taking away our business, some fortunate series of events occurred to alay my fears. The manager of one of the local Wal-Marts came in and bought a HotSpring Landmark from me (his brother had bought a HotSpring Vanguard the year before). When I asked him about the spas his company carried, he laughed and said "You know, I get a discount on those spas, I can get it for less than half of what I'm paying for this one, but there is no way in Hell I'm putting one of those in my backyard."

Just three weeks ago, the manager of the newest Wal-Mart came in and bought a Tiger River Bengal. The manager of the local Sam's Club owns a HotSpring Vista. The assistant manager of the local Home Depot owns a HotSpring Jetsetter.

Every one of them could own one of their brands of spa at a discount price. They choose not to.

And that says it all. :)

Terminator

So you're saying that since you've had bad luck with your spa, that invalidates everyone else's experience with their same model? Your D1 might be a pile of junk but anyone who looks at one can tell if they are a good tub or not. Same for my tub.

LOL, now you’re trying to turn it around? You're the one who stated that the other posters who have reported issues with their Platinum spa don't count because yours has been stellar so that must somehow represent the brand/model overall.

A top quality spa may have 98% satisfied customers. A lesser quality spa may be at 80% and a poor quality spa may be 65%. In all cases you'll find a majority of customers that are satisfied. Please don't take your single data point and utilize it as a representation for all to take to heart.

And quite frankly, it's all about value anyway (not just quality or price). I think you spa is a decent value at the price its sold at but you can't whitewash other people's experiences.

And what part of the Infinity Sun Peak "High-density foam insulation" spec did you miss?

That fact that they call it that means little IMO. Your spa may be an OK buy for the $$ but I seriously doubt it will insulate even marginally well. You need to plan to do what others have done that purchased that type spa. Take the sides off, take a good look and make a plan for reinsulating it, or you can wait for teh winter bills. Take a cue from Flibotte who has a Keys spa and honestly reposrts that it is costly to keep heated. Why wait for the high bills?

"Thermopane" is a very general term. Some spa companies do a good job of it but most of the thermopane spas I have seen are not insulated well and it costs money to do it right so any time you're talking about a bargain priced spa I believe this is one area where they will skimp, even if they are a company that does it right on their higher end products.

I don't have any pictures to post but the configuration of my Platinum Elite 2 is probably the same as the others. Yes, the panels all around are removable but the only panels I've ever removed are the one for the pump compartment and one other near it to provide access for the electrical install. Winter temps here rarely go below zero and are usually in the 20s and 30s. I have never even considered adding insulation around the sides as the tub doesn't use that much power. Also, I happen to actually know a little bit about heat transfer so I know that most of the heat loss is through the cover and from the use of the tub when the cover is off, the pumps are running, and the water is evaporating. Adding insulation around the sides would be only to reduce passive heat loss from the sides and that's already quite low, making the economic benefit of adding more insulation there very small. I did spend about 5 minutes, when the tub was new, adding a $5 roll of 3/8" tubular foam insert around the top between the sides and the edge of the shell which may have slightly reduced heat loss.

I didnt see your post sorry.What does your spa cost to run in winter??

Head down your own street. I'm sure plenty of your neighbors have one installed and running by now.

Heck, my next door neighbor had his Sun Peak delivered at the same time as mine did; came off the same truck!

There are three hot springs and two Master spas.

Those 6hp GE pumps are more like 3.5 constant HP

And of course you can provide some sort of evidence backing this claim up, right?

Its called start pump hp, and running power.running power is always lower then start power.

...You're trying to spread disinformation about Coscto tubs. This is the "Costco Infinity Sun Peak Spa" thread, is it not? You were replying to a quote by John 104 Degrees

John 104 had previously referred to a variety of poorly insulated tubs sold over the internet; Bond had referred to spas sold by Home Depot and Wal-mart. Neither my post nor John 104's before it referred directly to Costco tubs.

It's nice to know that a moderator--someone not only representing this site, but policing it too--takes it upon themselves [sic] to cast outright mistruths and lies about a product they admittedly know nothing about.

Moderators are entitled to opinions, and are allowed to express them. You are welcome to challenge and rebut, as you have done.

Mistruths and lies? Humbug. The photo shows an action taken by the owner of a deliberately unidentified poorly-insulated hot tub.

Ya'll crack me up!

It's pretty comical, isn't it? :)

All of the low-end spas being sold by Sam's, Costco, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc are having a minimal, if non-existent, effect on our business'. The people who are going to buy a cheap spa are always going to go cheap...that's fine.

Let's keep it on target: Costco.

The rest have great, successful sales models, but have yet to produce a spa product I would ever buy. I've never seen a spa on the floor of a Wal-Mart before and I've been shopping there for over fifteen years! A quick search of their website shows one spa, a "6-Person Keys Veracruz Hot Tub Spa Package" for the same price as my Sun Peak, yet has only 30 jets, a marginal heater, no pump or insulation specs, and a warranty which is seriously laughable compared to mine.

That is our customer...and business is booming.

You seem like a very nice, knowledgeable, and concerned salesperson. Too bad my experiences have been very bad with the spa dealers up-north, here in Michigan, where the spa industry is taking a bath (pun intended). Had I met you, and your concern for my hard-earned dollars, I might have bought a spa from you. Price and features hopefully close to the Sun Peak, of course!

Every one of them could own one of their brands of spa at a discount price. They choose not to. And that says it all. :) -- Terminator

Good luck to you, brother. I hope you're a smashing success!

And what part of the Infinity Sun Peak "High-density foam insulation" spec did you miss?

That fact that they call it that means little IMO. Your spa may be an OK buy for the $$ but I seriously doubt it will insulate even marginally well.

As I suspected ... it's your opinion. That's not evidence. Try again.

And of course you can provide some sort of evidence backing this claim up, right?

Yes I can, I sold Cal who also uses G E pumps. When I talked to a couple of the guys in engineering to ask what the real rating was, they told me around 3.5 - 4 true hp.

Do some learning about constant hp and Brake hp and you will find out quite a bit.

Mistruths and lies? Humbug. The photo shows an action taken by the owner of a deliberately unidentified poorly-insulated hot tub.

Right.

And you feel some justification by posting that photo in the wrong forum? Why not post that photo in another spa manufacturer's thread?

John 104 Degrees said "these tubs", meaning the Costco Infinity Sun Peak. You replied by adding a photo of a non-Costco tub with hack insulation around it.

FUD at its finest. What's next, Tom, you gonna pull my account, too?

LOL.

Yes I can, I sold Cal who also uses G E pumps. When I talked to a couple of the guys in engineering to ask what the real rating was, they told me around 3.5 - 4 true hp.

Do some learning about constant hp and Brake hp and you will find out quite a bit.

And GE makes a lot of different pumps.

So, how does this--in any way--provide evidence regarding the GE pumps in my Infinity spa?

That fact that they call it that means little IMO. Your spa may be an OK buy for the $$ but I seriously doubt it will insulate even marginally well.

As I suspected ... it's your opinion. That's not evidence. Try again.

... and everything you post is your opinion, like when you say the Keys has a marginal heater compared to yours. Based on what?