Costco Infinity Sun Peak Spa

mcpetran

I try to sell typically higher end of spas and dont think you could of afforded the brand of tub I would have been selling.

First mistake of a salesperson is to assume someone cant afford their product!! Traveling spa sale...you wouldnt get me in the door/tent of one of these operations.

If you can afford a better quality product, why settle for less?

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said and for the record, I think you have great value here and just like the rest of us, we do tend to get passionate about our product(s). For the most part, I tend to agree that those who choose to shop at Costco or other box stores for their spa are there for a reason and that is usually COST. If these same people were looking for "value", they can find much better products with greater overall support with a local dealer that KNOWS spas.

Buying a spa isn't just about price nor the figure at the bottom of the page. Value is determined by many aspects and most of those don't come into play with a box store spa purchase. It's cheap, it "looks" like a spa I saw down the road and the greatest misinterpratation of value I've heard on these forums is that you can take it back... That's not "value" people even though you may have justified that in your own mind. I've addressed this elsewhere so I won't repeat myself here as to why.

I don't believe anyone here wishes your spa purchase is poor value. In fact, when it is, it brings down the entire industry as a whole and I think these cheap spas and all the issues surrounding them for the most part, lend itself to the responses you see here. Those of us that either represent or have represented quality spas, knows that these spas are not good value in general and the increased number of issues reflect poorly on ALL spas. It should be a fun purchase and designed to enjoy for many years with great support from your dealer. THAT'S VALUE.

I could go on for ever but then again, this is one mans opinion that just happens to understand value shopping when associated with spas. I use to teach it in seminars and value shopping could take up a day or more.

I want to be clear that it IS possible to buy a Costco spa and have many years of enjoyment with it. It's clear you won't have the same level of support which can make it a bit more difficult to fully enjoy but hey...you "saved" a couple grand right? Enjoyment of a spa is directly related to proper function and water quality. I have yet to see someone enjoy their spa when the water smells and is foamy and green. My issue is that if you went back into Costco with your water sample and asked how to correct that, you will never get the answer. It's why those same owners are coming to spa forums like this one for support and justifiction of their purchase.

Owning a spa is a wonderful thing but be clear that not all spas are created equal and you were the brillant one that saved thousands more than others did with a similar spa... If you want to know the real differences, go back into the Costco and ask your salesman why! :rolleyes: Just kidding...he won't have clue...

Steve

I think this is one area where "Costco vs. Name Brands" posters are missing the point. Some people simply care more about getting a quality item in one category vs. another.

Take, for example, home theater (one of my favorite hobbies). Some people carefully evaluate loudspeakers, read reviews, and spend thousands of dollars getting a quality speaker. Others are happy with a $99 Costco "Home Theater in a box", or even a boombox.

Some people spend a thousand dollars or more on a purebred dog. Others are happy with a mutt from a kennel.

Some people spend lots of money on clothes, and think high-quality clothes are important. Others just want a bargain.

Some people spend tons of money on expensive cars, others just want basic transportation.

Some people are "foodies" who eat at the most expensive restaurants, others are happy with national chains.

Some people spend lots of money on a name brand spa, others just want to soak in hot water.

It's not necessarily a matter of what you can afford, but what's important to you. Personally, I'll gladly spend more on electronics and spas, but I don't spend much on clothes, pets, or cars. I've always been a "cheap eats" person, but I think I'm starting to change in that area. It's all a matter of opinion, of spending your hard-earned dollars on the things that are important to you.

Personally, I would not want to buy a Costco spa. But many Costco shoppers are legitimately happy with their purchases. They believe that they got a better "value" for their dollar, and those of us who prefer the higher-end brands will never be able to convince them otherwise. Conversely, I have always been extremely satisfied with my high-end tub, and no amount of arguing from the Costco crowd will ever convince me that they made a better purchase than I did.

So, can we just let it go, and agree to disagree?

I think this is one area where "Costco vs. Name Brands" posters are missing the point. Some people simply care more about getting a quality item in one category vs. another.

Take, for example, home theater (one of my favorite hobbies). Some people carefully evaluate loudspeakers, read reviews, and spend thousands of dollars getting a quality speaker. Others are happy with a $99 Costco "Home Theater in a box", or even a boombox.

Some people spend a thousand dollars or more on a purebred dog. Others are happy with a mutt from a kennel.

Some people spend lots of money on clothes, and think high-quality clothes are important. Others just want a bargain.

Some people spend tons of money on expensive cars, others just want basic transportation.

Some people are "foodies" who eat at the most expensive restaurants, others are happy with national chains.

Some people spend lots of money on a name brand spa, others just want to soak in hot water.

It's not necessarily a matter of what you can afford, but what's important to you. Personally, I'll gladly spend more on electronics and spas, but I don't spend much on clothes, pets, or cars. I've always been a "cheap eats" person, but I think I'm starting to change in that area. It's all a matter of opinion, of spending your hard-earned dollars on the things that are important to you.

Personally, I would not want to buy a Costco spa. But many Costco shoppers are legitimately happy with their purchases. They believe that they got a better "value" for their dollar, and those of us who prefer the higher-end brands will never be able to convince them otherwise. Conversely, I have always been extremely satisfied with my high-end tub, and no amount of arguing from the Costco crowd will ever convince me that they made a better purchase than I did.

So, can we just let it go, and agree to disagree?

Great points. People are getting a lot of cheap, flashy junk at costco but they really think they are getting a 'bargain.' Is the big-screen tv at costco as good as one you get from a reputable dealer? Is the computer you get at costco as good as the one that a computer store sells? Are the clothes at costco as good as the clothes at a nice department store? Are the food items at costco as good as the food you get from your local supermarket? No, of course not, and that's exactly why people should realize that the hot tub they get at costco is not as good as the tubs that their local hot tub dealer is selling. Companyies like Pacific Spas or one of the other big hot tub outfits are selling an extremely high -quality product that they would never allow to be sold in a...costco store next to the giant boxes of toilet paper, the tires, and the recliner chairs. Never. But suppose they did? What would their existing dealers think if the factory started selling one of their hot tub models to costco for the same or less price that they were charging the loyal dealer? Those dealers would be not happy, for sure. The bottom line is that those 'bargains' at costco are not the bargains they appear to be.

I agree:

but for me its more like I have expenses and only so much money left over so its spend $3000.00 and get to use a hot tub or wait till I save up $10000 in about 5 or 6 years.I plan on doing an insulation upgrade and I'm more than competent servicing the tub so I have no need of a service person only parts.Price is more important at this present time unless I win a lottery.

I do own some middle to High end stereo equipment and couldn't listen to my music on anything less as I,m spoiled. I have drank fine wine but for everyday make do with table grade wine.

I could put myself in dept and buy a top of the line spa and be stressed out about making the monthly payments but I prefer to try this out,see what I like and don't like about it.

Like do I find myself actually useing it,do I use the jets much or just sit in the warm water?I may not even enjoy it and want to sell it next year.

If you are just starting to learn to play guitar.You can go out and buy a top of the line Paul Reed Smith electric guitar or a James Olsen acoustic guitar which will set you back a little under $10000 or you can pick up a fender made in Mexico or a Yamaha or a Takamine guitar which by the way will only set you back about $800.00 and which by the way Garth Brooks Played on his tours as do a lot of other professional players.

I believe that a lot of people want the best, go into dept to get it while others live within there means.I personally hate paying interest and grew up on a farm were you didn't purchase until you saved the money up.All of North America is caught up in have to have the best and have to have it now attitude.

Anyway I think we are getting to understand what this forum is about and it is actually sounding like everyone is willing to get along, share information and there hot tub experiences and since I dont have mine yet anyone out there tell me more.What was the first time like.Do you feel better after using it.Do you use all the jets or just sit with the pumps off?

Thanks to everyone posting I for one look forward to looking up and seeing if anyone has posted something sor has a picture posted and I promise that this will be my last long winded post

I sure would love it if some people who actually purchased the spa can give us some updates (preferably with pictures) on their thoughts on the spa, how difficult it was to move, etc. Opinions about Costco and people's buying habits are useless to me. I expect to receive my "cheap, flashy junk" next week and would be pleased to hear valuable, new information about it from an actual owner.. If there are any owners left out there who have not been completely turned off to this thread's flame wars.

Great points. People are getting a lot of cheap, flashy junk at costco but they really think they are getting a 'bargain.' Is the big-screen tv at costco as good as one you get from a reputable dealer? Is the computer you get at costco as good as the one that a computer store sells? Are the clothes at costco as good as the clothes at a nice department store? Are the food items at costco as good as the food you get from your local supermarket? No, of course not, and that's exactly why people should realize that the hot tub they get at costco is not as good as the tubs that their local hot tub dealer is selling. Companyies like Pacific Spas or one of the other big hot tub outfits are selling an extremely high -quality product that they would never allow to be sold in a...costco store next to the giant boxes of toilet paper, the tires, and the recliner chairs. Never. But suppose they did? What would their existing dealers think if the factory started selling one of their hot tub models to costco for the same or less price that they were charging the loyal dealer? Those dealers would be not happy, for sure. The bottom line is that those 'bargains' at costco are not the bargains they appear to be.

That big screen tv you buy at costco is the same brand a dealer sells, so is the computer...so are most products you buy at costco. The food is the same brand you get at any major grocery chain...so what exactly is your point...that you are talking out of your rectum? Just like the high quality hot tubs like pacific spas or other big companies that you claim are the best thing will not be sold next to toilet paper...but what comes out of your mouth definitely needs to be sold near the toilet paper!!!!!

Stevie, why would anyone take a water sample back to costco? To even make that statement makes me feel like you have no clue about going the costco route when purchasing a tub. Everyone here should not expect any type of service like this when purchasing their tub...plus there are many places you can get this service from that wont cost you anything.

I think DP summed it up rather well in his post...some people dont need or see the same in products and base their decision off what is important to them.

Anyway I think we are getting to understand what this forum is about and it is actually sounding like everyone is willing to get along, share information and there hot tub experiences and since I dont have mine yet anyone out there tell me more.What was the first time like.Do you feel better after using it.Do you use all the jets or just sit with the pumps off?

Okay, here's my two cents' worth of hot tub experience. My parents got a tub when I was in college, and every time I was home on break I found myself using it frequently. When my wife and I got our first house, we knew we wanted a tub. We got a fairly big one, thinking we would have friends over to use it frequently. We did use it all the time, but found our guests rarely wanted to. So, we resolved to get a smaller tub the next time.

Secondly, we found that the jets really do help. We normally only used the main jets for maybe 15-20 minutes, 30 if we were really sore. Then another 20-30 min with the main jets off. However, we're both on our feet all day, and use the foot jets constantly. Our tub only had 2 really good foot jets, which was not enough for both of us. So, our next tub also had to have enough foot jets for two.

Third, we bought a Sundance tub. We found it had great therapy, was easy to use, and easy to keep clean. We were happy with it for many years.

So, when we moved to our new house last year, we knew we wanted a 2-3 person tub from a quality brand that had good foot jets for two people. We are also on a much tighter budget than last time. So, we bought a used Sundance 3 person tub, which we hope to have installed in 2-4 weeks, as soon as we figure out what kind of pad we're going to use. I'll post some photos then.

That big screen tv you buy at costco is the same brand a dealer sells, so is the computer...so are most products you buy at costco. The food is the same brand you get at any major grocery chain...so what exactly is your point...that you are talking out of your rectum? Just like the high quality hot tubs like pacific spas or other big companies that you claim are the best thing will not be sold next to toilet paper...but what comes out of your mouth definitely needs to be sold near the toilet paper!!!!!

Stevie, why would anyone take a water sample back to costco? To even make that statement makes me feel like you have no clue about going the costco route when purchasing a tub. Everyone here should not expect any type of service like this when purchasing their tub...plus there are many places you can get this service from that wont cost you anything.

I think DP summed it up rather well in his post...some people dont need or see the same in products and base their decision off what is important to them.

A comparison between buying TVs, computers, food, etc. at Costco versus elsewhere is fine but with spas it is not so simple. Costco doesn't sell a premium spa but they sell it at a good price that gives it value so I'm not saying its a bad choice. If you're thinking of getting a Hydro Spa, Nordic, Leisure Bay and a host of regional spas out there then I would compare them with the Costco spa. If you're looking for a premium spa then comparing it to the Costco spa is somewhat apples and oranges but they each have their place because as was stated earlier, not all people are after the same thing.

Unfortunately Tubobull is full of it as his point seems to really be to promote Pacific who before he starting posting was barely even known. Please don't take his posts as being representative of anyone else on this site (not that I have any opinion of Pacific, either way).

You missed my point completely so I'll try to explain in terms of value.

If you buy a tub and can't take care of the water, how enjoyable is it for you as the end user? You are right though, I have never bought a Costco tub but I have spoken to many people at Costco about their spas. Simply put, no one knows anything about them.

People SHOULD expect to be shown how to best look after their tub and the water as it will dramatically increase their enjoyment level of ownership and THAT'S what sells spas. There's no mystery there right? So what you're saying is that these people should then rely on the local dealers for support and watercare advise? Throw me a fricken bone... :wacko:

I agree that not everyone wants to spend the money on a quality spa or car or washer/dryer or laptop. That's fine but just don't try and suggest that just because you paid less, that you got a better deal...that's my only beef and it is distorted value in some owners eyes.

Some good debates and I've enjoyed it!

Steve

D.P.Roberts:

Thanks for the post. This is what people are looking for .Your experiences as an actual owner and user.

I think I know what I'm looking for but will only know for sure after using.I also was looking at a huge tub to start off with and will probably settle into a smaller 4 person maximum sized spa after this one if I enjoy it and then I will again go looking for the features I want as I will have a better understanding in the future and hopefully saved up some more coin.

Do post some pic's either here or elsewhere.

Thanks so much Info.

You missed my point completely so I'll try to explain in terms of value.

If you buy a tub and can't take care of the water, how enjoyable is it for you as the end user? You are right though, I have never bought a Costco tub but I have spoken to many people at Costco about their spas. Simply put, no one knows anything about them.

People SHOULD expect to be shown how to best look after their tub and the water as it will dramatically increase their enjoyment level of ownership and THAT'S what sells spas. There's no mystery there right? So what you're saying is that these people should then rely on the local dealers for support and watercare advise? Throw me a fricken bone... :wacko:

I agree that not everyone wants to spend the money on a quality spa or car or washer/dryer or laptop. That's fine but just don't try and suggest that just because you paid less, that you got a better deal...that's my only beef and it is distorted value in some owners eyes.

Some good debates and I've enjoyed it!

Steve

If you buy a spa you should take the responsibility to learn your water...part of owning a tub. Now as far "should" expect to be shown is an opinion. I didnt know squat about balancing my water until I purchased my spa and going with costco you "should" know there is no dealer support and you "shouldnt" expect to be shown but you most certainly will have to learn regardless.

In order to balance my water and maintain my tub I dont step into a "DEALERSHIP" for anything. There are many pool stores that don't have crap to do with selling hot tubs that will be more than helpful in showing you how to balance your water and maintain your spa...so no, I never said they needed to rely on a dealer. Not sure where you got that. Maybe that is where you feel you get value...but I don't see it that way. Is a dealer going to come running out to my house to show me every time how to fix a water issue...I doubt it. Now...if they did...I might just be inclined to see value there.

Actually I don't think anyone suggested they got a better deal than you...but I do believe they received just as good a deal as you did. I think your idea of clean water and dealer support is kind of distorted...as so far as value is concerned.

Yes, I think its funny how people come and follow this thread and then complain about wanting it closed when it gets to 10 pages. Nobody is forcing anyone to read it...but its all good...this subject will rear its ugly head again in a couple days. I always love a good debate!

Enjoy your soak!!

OK, this has been my Costco spa experience so far:

My husband and I decided we wanted to buy a spa (never having owned one) so we went to the only local spa dealer nearby (small town). Talked with the really nice sales guy there and looked at their spas which we loved but could not afford without financing. Shortly after, we saw the $600 off coupon in the Costco circular for the Infinity Sun Peak which was way less expensive than the cheapest spa at the local place. Having bought a gazillion things from Costco over the years - everything from toilet paper to prescriptions to clothing to laminate flooring to furniture to LCD televisions with no problems/complaints - we ordered our "cheap, flashy junk" (tubostuff, I'm sure your mother taught you not to criticize other people or their things, how sad that you have forgotten the lesson). We figured that, even if it wasn't as nice as the spas at the local place, it sure would be a lot nicer than what we had, which was NO spa - and we could pay cash for it rather than financing it.

The spa arrived in under 4 weeks. We liked how it looked and we liked that we had a spa sitting in our back yard where an empty spot used to be. We liked the idea of being able to come home after work and hopping in the tub to relax and talk about our day. The electrician came the next day and did the electrical work, filled the spa (no leaks) and turned on the jets. One jet popped out and every time we popped it back in, it popped back out. I called Infinity customer service. They did 2 things - first, they put another jet in the mail to us, which arrived in 3 days. The 3 day wait was no big deal b/c we could still use the spa. Second, they contacted a local service place in our area and opened a work order so that if the problem was with the housing rather than the jet, we would already have someone ready to come out to the house to make things right. When the new jet arrived, it popped right in and stayed in - problem solved. A few days later, Infinity customer service called me to find out if the problem was solved or if they needed to send the service guy out.

As for maintaining the spa, no one with a computer and an internet connection needs a spa salesperson to tell them what to do! I emailed friends who own spas to get their suggestions. I read things on this forum to get suggestions. And then stevie, ("So what you're saying is that these people [who bought Costco spas] should then rely on the local dealers for support and water care advice?") I took a water sample from my tub over to the local spa place and talked to the guy we had met a few months ago. I told him that we had bought a spa elsewhere (I even told him where we bought it and admitted that it is not as nice as the ones we saw in his showroom in terms of the features it has), handed him my water sample, and asked him to analyze it and tell me what chemicals I needed to buy. Guess what he did - he analyzed my water and told me what I needed to buy! He didn't trash talk my spa, he didn't tell me to take my water someplace else; he said to bring a sample in every week for the first month so he can check it and see if we're doing the right things. This is a smart salesperson - he knows that I have to buy chemicals from somewhere and I'm going to need my spa serviced at some point. He lost a sale but he has gained a customer who, down the line may buy a spa from him.

We are using the spa pretty much every day and love it. We haven't traveled around to all of our friends' spas to sit in them and say, "Gee, I wish mine did/had this." We haven't had it long enough to see the difference in our electric bill and it's August so we're not trying to keep water hot while the air temp. is cold. But for now, we feel like we made a good choice. I am not sorry that I stumbled onto this forum - I think it will be a good source of information as time goes on. I don't appreciate the comments from the dealers who don't realize/care that they are insulting people when they insult the product that those people have chosen to purchase. Fortunately, they are few and far between.

I am a happy camper ... happy soaker ... happy tubber ... whatever!

sandi

People are getting a lot of cheap, flashy junk at costco but they really think they are getting a 'bargain.' Is the big-screen tv at costco as good as one you get from a reputable dealer? Is the computer you get at costco as good as the one that a computer store sells? Are the clothes at costco as good as the clothes at a nice department store? Are the food items at costco as good as the food you get from your local supermarket? No, of course not ...

LOL.

If I worked in the dealer-based spa industry, I’d fear Costco, too, as they’d be literally killing my business off.

The reality is, I’d be selling few tubs this year while Costco and its partners are selling more than can be manufactured on-time (rumor has it, Infinity is building 500 a week just to meet demand, thus causing the backlog in shipping).

I can no longer blame my poor sales on “the economy” when I clearly see dollars are still being spent on spas elsewhere, like Costco.

Dealers in my area, like Spa World, have already bit the dust due to their failed sales model. Overaggressiveness, escalated mark-ups and high-pressured, commission-based sales simply no longer work. Costco, Home Depot, Wal-mart, Best Buy, Sam’s Club, Lowes, etc. are proof that smart people want to extend their dollar. They want a fair price for quality products without all the hard-sales tactics and nonsense.

Thus, it makes perfect sense why so many anti-Costco characters are trolling this forum. Since their spa showrooms are modern-day ghost towns — they have ample time to come here to put fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) into new, and potentially new, Costco spa buyers. It behooves these individuals to cast fear since more and more spa manufacturers are willing to cut them out and go the direct-to-consumer route.

So the next time one of these dealers or their colleagues calls you a “garbage feeder” or “low end quality” shopper or insinuates you are “dumb” for buying “junk” at Costco, just remind them you’re happy with your purchase—and if not, have a lifetime warranty on most everything you buy there—and that they, the dealers, are the ones going out of business at an alarming rate.

Capitalism works. Costco proves it. Have a great and happy day soaking in your new tub!

If I worked in the dealer-based spa industry, I’d fear Costco, too, as they’d be literally killing my business off.... Dealers in my area have already bit the dust due to their failed sales model....spa showrooms are modern-day ghost towns...

LOL. Good bit of writing, that.

But I suspect that sales may be increasing across the board as the market recovers from its recent slump.

But I suspect that sales may be increasing across the board as the market recovers from its recent slump.

And people read about the Quality issues on the internet type spas.

John 104 Degrees

I don't believe that Costco is moving the sort of numbers you suggest nor do I agree that they are considered direct competition for most spa dealers. Sure, they'll steal a few sales away from people who were going to pay for a quality, more expensive spa, but I do believe we are comparing Kia shoppers to BMW shoppers to a degree. A different market and different set of demographics.

If only it were as clear cut as you make it sound and that ALL spa retailers were money hungry sharks circling for the kill... :rolleyes: It's not quite as "dark" as you suggest though I do believe that low quality dealers exist.

Steve

So the next time one of these dealers or their colleagues calls you a “garbage feeder” or “low end quality” shopper or insinuates you are “dumb” for buying “junk” at Costco, just remind them you’re happy with your purchase—and if not, have a lifetime warranty on most everything you buy there—and that they, the dealers, are the ones going out of business at an alarming rate.

Capitalism works. Costco proves it. Have a great and happy day soaking in your new tub!

I bought a Platinum Elite 2 hot tub (made by Hydrospa) at Costco in July, 2006 and it has been great. I only paid $4,000 which was an incredible bargain, even then, and more so now. After a year of hard use and heavy weather, it still looks and runs like new. The only real complaint that I have is that the operation of the radio is too complicated. I can never remember what is what on the buttons but it does sound pretty good.

I bought a Platinum Elite 2 hot tub (made by Hydrospa) at Costco in July, 2006 and it has been great. I only paid $4,000 which was an incredible bargain, even then, and more so now.

Awesome! I nearly bought that same tub in '06 at my local Costco, but they sold out too quickly!!! Eight spas sold in three hours on a Saturday afternoon! There was a very nice thread going on this forum regarding the Elite 2. Many satisfied customers, such as yourself.

I hope to say the same thing about my Infinity Sun Peak after a few years. So far, so good. It's a great tub that my family and friends have enjoyed immensely.

And people read about the Quality issues on the internet type spas.

John 104 Degrees

I have searched the internet and I can find more bad reviews on big name tubs.

Were are you finding all these negative reviews on Blue Water Spas or other internet spas.Please let me and others know as I just cant find anything but positive praise for the tubs sold on eBay.Take a look at the daily sales of spas on eBay for example and then look at the reviews.Are you finding lots of negative reviews as I cant locate any.