Costco Infinity Sun Peak Spa

mcpetran

This sounds like a sales to me. I'm not saying it is. i'm just saying it sounds like sales. -- John 104 Degrees

Perhaps. I have no hard evidence that supports the "manufacturing 500 a week" claim, as it was a comment I heard on two separate occasions by two different people, but I do know a few things:

1. Costco promoted the heck out of this tub a month before, and the three weeks during, the time one could purchase it. Direct mail, Costco home page, at least two targeted e-mails sent directly to core customers ... all with slick photos and an enticing $600 additional discount. I'm sure there was even more marketing.

2. The price. Anyone who wanted a spa but felt they were too expensive would have had a great interest in this quality tub at a $2,999.00 price tag.

3. The features were very impressive.

4. Free delivery and no tax if ordered online. Again, another perk that more than likely got the attention of thousands of potential buyers.

5. Unreal warranties from Infinity and Costco.

I think the promotion did exactly what Infinity had wanted. It allowed them to make a profit off the sales of a whole heck of a lot of tubs for an inexpensive, friendly price, rather than profit from the sale of a few tubs at a ridiculous mark-up and with high-pressured sales.

And I hope Infinity changes the spa industry with this sales model, too. Good, affordable hot tubs at a great price ... who exactly doesn't want that?

God, I love capitalism!

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to correct above post in regards to "no sales tax if ordered online."

Please read below which was taken from Costco.com.

Sales Tax

In accordance with applicable state and local laws, we are required to charge sales tax in localities where Costco has operations. Costco does not benefit from the collection of sales tax and we remit all taxes collected directly to the appropriate taxing jurisdiction. As a general rule, it is the laws of the state of delivery that determine whether sales tax will be due on your transaction. The appropriate sales tax amount will be displayed on the check out section of the site.

Sales tax is charged, on both merchandise and related shipping and handling charges, for orders delivered to addresses within the following states:

AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MD, MI, MN, MO, NJ, NV, NM, NY, NC, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VT, VA, WA and WI

Sales tax is charged on merchandise only for orders delivered to addresses within the following states:

ID, MA and UT

I think the promotion did exactly what Infinity had wanted. It allowed them to make a profit off the sales of a whole heck of a lot of tubs for an inexpensive, friendly price, rather than profit from the sale of a few tubs at a ridiculous mark-up and with high-pressured sales.

And I hope Infinity changes the spa industry with this sales model, too. Good, affordable hot tubs at a great price ... who exactly doesn't want that?

God, I love capitalism!

As I have shown numerous times and not had one person beable to rebuttle you can buy the same apple for apple (brand and make) of watch for less from other places then Costco...why don't they believe in this on watches? Well maybe when they have a product you cannot do this on its easier to think your getting a good low margin deal and not just the cheapest possible tub Costco could find because it new people like you would be thrown into the Costco fool bag of thinking they dont have to make money with the billions of dollars in overhead they spend. Most dealers net profit is around 15% Which since dealers lose money on warranty claims makes sure they dont go in the red because they sold a spa. Having managed a spa store for a few years we payed more for Sundance then you are paying for the Costco spa....but im sure Infiniti isnt making a profit just like Costco isnt...I mean Capitalists dont ever think about making money right? Show me the exact product from Costco sold by other places and through research I have done the prices are very similar...so why is this different in hot tubs? Well its because as you have seen with many posts on here, Infiniti has NO quality control, because with alot of these problems the tub was plummed incorrectly and would have NEVER ran properly.

I remember a customer I had years ago bought the biggest stainless steal grill from Costco for like 1000. He was so excited because all the other ones he looked at like it were three times the price, but the Costco looked the same. He hated it so much he bought a 3000 grill from me 1 year after he bought the costco grill. Why? Because even when something looks the same you get what you pay for. Costco has alot more overhead to cover then hot tub stores, so maybe they are able to work on a little less margin, but I wish one day they just put a nice spa on the website with the cheap one so you could see the price difference.

Oh yeah costco has a tv spa for 7500....discount spas direct has one for 6000. That must mean Costco is making too much money, not discountspasdirect sells an even cheaper model.

As far as your high pressure sales, you said you love capitalism...the first thing you need is sales, and no one likes parting with there money...you get in a buying mood when seeing something you like...if you don't buy it when its under your nose you usually wont buy it. Your taking a salespersons time when you ask him all those questions, and you always get mad when he asks you to actually buy the product...if the consumer had any guts they wouldnt be worried about high pressure sales because all you have to say is "No"...and the pressure is off if you don't want it. But instead you want to think about it, or messure, or talk to your cousin who owned a hot tub once

...Costco could find because it new people like you would be thrown into the Costco fool bag of thinking they dont have to make money with the billions of dollars in overhead they spend.

Oh, I am sure both Costco and Infinity have made a lot of money on this tub...by selling volume. I'm just glad a FUD-meister such as yourself got one less sale. You don't need "fools" like me, even though you're the inarticulate one.

...Having managed a spa store for a few years

Bingo. Welcome to the wonderful world of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt). I'm glad you've shown your true colors and what exactly motivates you. You really can't help yourself, can you? Constant spin...

As far as your high pressure sales, you said you love capitalism...the first thing you need is sales ...

Ever notice how Best Buy and Home Depot and Lowes and Costco and Sam's Club are all smashing successes? It's because their sales models are simple. They are commission-less and assume their customers know what they want. If not, they've hired nice, non-aggressive associates to answer any questions you may have.

This is why I love capitalism. The free-market is always building a better mousetrap.

Well said Ken- Costco has several manufactors & all of the complaints so far have not been with the infinity spas. Infinity spas are also available via ebay & I had actually thought of that option but it didn't provide me with the security of returning the item if I had problems.

Yes I waited close to 6 weeks but it's up & running & we are very happy.

Funny I had more problems with the local dealer where I purchased my chemicals- they billed me twice- when we called they said come in & they would refund the 2nd charge- when we got there we were directed to the national headquarters. After a week of run around -being pasted around from voice mail to voice mail (even being directed to associates on vacation) it's still not resolved- though we want to our bank & they have removed the charge & will deal with the company on our behalf.

I 've never had an issue like this with Costco- you can return items even without a reciept and I haven't had duplicative charges.

The overwhelming opinion I have of many of you - is sour grapes-

- to 104 degrees who wanted to know if rewmoving the panel was difficult - it wasn't but would rather be in the tub then taking pictures to feed this conversation

Happy tubing

Just wanted to correct above post in regards to "no sales tax if ordered online."

Please read below which was taken from Costco.com.

Sales Tax

In accordance with applicable state and local laws, we are required to charge sales tax in localities where Costco has operations. Costco does not benefit from the collection of sales tax and we remit all taxes collected directly to the appropriate taxing jurisdiction. As a general rule, it is the laws of the state of delivery that determine whether sales tax will be due on your transaction. The appropriate sales tax amount will be displayed on the check out section of the site.

Sales tax is charged, on both merchandise and related shipping and handling charges, for orders delivered to addresses within the following states:

AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MD, MI, MN, MO, NJ, NV, NM, NY, NC, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VT, VA, WA and WI

Sales tax is charged on merchandise only for orders delivered to addresses within the following states:

ID, MA and UT

You are correct, mcpetran. My wife just told me we did indeed pay sales tax on the tub. I apologize for the error and I stand corrected.

- to 104 degrees who wanted to know if rewmoving the panel was difficult - it wasn't but would rather be in the tub then taking pictures to feed this conversation

Happy tubing

I see your point :D

John

People buy Costco spas partly due to the return policy so I understand your point there but what's so unreal about teh Infinity warranty. Good warranties are defined by 3 things:

1) What is written,

2) The manufacvaturer standing behind the warranty above and beyond (because what you have in writing is sometimes not worth a damn),

3) The people perfoming the waranty service.

Why should I believe Infinity's warranty on these will be any more than average, if that? I expect it to be along the lines of Hydro Spas which is spotty but maybe they are a little more willing to honor theirs to teh customers expectations but we'll see.

People buy Costco spas partly due to the return policy so I understand your point there but what's so unreal about teh Infinity warranty. Good warranties are defined by 3 things:

1) What is written,

2) The manufacvaturer standing behind the warranty above and beyond (because what you have in writing is sometimes not worth a damn),

3) The people perfoming the waranty service.

Why should I believe Infinity's warranty on these will be any more than average, if that? I expect it to be along the lines of Hydro Spas which is spotty but maybe they are a little more willing to honor theirs to teh customers expectations but we'll see.

You're correct about that one, Spatech, which is exactly why I went with Costco.

You see, the last dealer I spoke to--a guy who promised me all this great support and service if I bought one of his tubs (for more than twice the amount of the Infinity spa and with less features)--just went belly-up and out of business. The establishment was called Spa World on M-59 in White Lake, MI. Anyone in my area reading this will confirm it's no longer around.

So to confirm with you, his promises and the paper they were printed on simply weren't worth a darn.

So to confirm with you, his promises and the paper they were printed on simply weren't worth a darn.

Who is going to service your spa?? i hope not the guy who just went belly up :o .

Do you live where it gets cold?-zero at times?

John 104 Degrees

You're correct about that one, Spatech, which is exactly why I went with Costco.

You see, the last dealer I spoke to--a guy who promised me all this great support and service if I bought one of his tubs (for more than twice the amount of the Infinity spa and with less features)--just went belly-up and out of business. The establishment was called Spa World on M-59 in White Lake, MI. Anyone in my area reading this will confirm it's no longer around.

Who was the manufacturer? That matters greatly because your warranty is from the manufacturer, not the dealer. If it is a reputable manufacturer they will find a way to cover you. If you bought from one of the top 10 or so spa makers you'll still be fine. Warranty coverage is key but not everyone does it right. Its why a big name maker like Cal Spas got a spotty reputation and also why Hydro Spas falls short so its really a case by case situation (not just based on # of spas sold). I may not think Hydro spas are very good quality but at lesat you have Costco behind you because the warranty coverage you have will be hit and miss (regardless of what the piece of paper warranty says).

Who is going to service your spa?? i hope not the guy who just went belly up :o .

That all depends on Infinity and who they call locally to come out. Hopefully it will be the guy who went belly-up. I'm sure he has to do something nowadays to keep food on his table.

Yes, southeastern Michigan gets very cold and snowy during the winter.

Who was the manufacturer? That matters greatly because your warranty is from the manufacturer, not the dealer. If it is a reputable manufacturer they will find a way to cover you. If you bought from one of the top 10 or so spa makers you'll still be fine. Warranty coverage is key but not everyone does it right. Its why a big name maker like Cal Spas got a spotty reputation and also why Hydro Spas falls short so its really a case by case situation (not just based on # of spas sold). I may not think Hydro spas are very good quality but at lesat you have Costco behind you because the warranty coverage you have will be hit and miss (regardless of what the piece of paper warranty says).

Of course you are right, Spatech. Technically, it's a manufacturer's warranty and issue. But, the way the sales approach was framed to me was that they, Spa World, the dealer, would take care of any issues I had during the warranty period, worry-free, and within a 24-hour window. That Spa World had the reputation to uphold, blah, blah, blah, and that they were the greatest benefit to me, blah, blah, blah. Many people here know the drill, I am sure.

Bottom-line: had I bought from them, service would now be my headache.

That all depends on Infinity and who they call locally to come out. Hopefully it will be the guy who went belly-up. I'm sure he has to do something nowadays to keep food on his table.

Yes, southeastern Michigan gets very cold and snowy during the winter.

Thank you. Keep us posted. Happiness is at 104 Degrees.

John

Thank you. Keep us posted. Happiness is at 104 Degrees. -- John

You're welcome. :)

So what's your secret, John, for not freezing-to-death once you find yourself out of your 104 degree tub and in cold, winter conditions? The run from my hot tub to my basement door is about 45 feet. I can't wait to do it at Christmas time :)

You're welcome. :)

So what's your secret, John, for not freezing-to-death once you find yourself out of your 104 degree tub and in cold, winter conditions? The run from my hot tub to my basement door is about 45 feet. I can't wait to do it at Christmas time :)

Going to it is alot colder then coming from it. :D;)

John 104 Degrees

OK, here is my story so far with an Infinity Sun Peak spa purchased through Costco. I ordered it on 7/14/07. It was delivered on 8/17/07. My electrical was done by Strictly Spas. They coordinated the electircal work with the spa delivery and moved the spa to the backyard as part of the deal. It took 3 guys about 7 mins to get it from my driveway to the backyard using a beefy homemade dolly. I have a wide gate and concrete all the way back. The spa does have a crack in 1 of the corner panels in the cabinet. I will call Infinity on Monday to request a replacement. The spa was filled and powered on at 7:30 pm. No leaks or other obvious problems. The guy from Strictly Spas said that 2 other Costco tubs he hooked up this week did leak, so I was a bit nervous. It is apparent that the tub was wet tested at the factory as there was still a bit of water trapped in there. We took our first soak at 11:30 pm and it was GREAT! I like the jets and the various seats - there is a different experience in each location. Of course there are some locations that are not exactly to my liking but I found that to be the case in each and every tub I wet tested. It is clear that this tub is not on the same level quality-wise as a top spa from say, Hot Springs. But you know what? It is pretty darn nice for the money.

What I Like

• Sufficient power to jets
  • 2 pumps
  • Variety of jets in each location
  • Master Massage jet for the feet
  • Price
  • Warranty
  • Costco guarantee if this thing turns out to a big problem (little problems expected)
  • Thigh and calf jets
  • Delivered on time
What I Don't Like
  • No circulation pump
  • Foot jets in lounge seat
  • Cannot read LED on control panel in bright sunlight
  • Control panel is not backlit for night time operation
  • Makes more noise than a spa with a circ pump, but it's really not bad at all
  • Uncertainty about power consumption (Infinity Spas told me avg cost to operate is $25 - $30/ month. I will be tracking closely
  • Higher risk for problems down the road
I decided to get this tub because it seemed like a good deal for an entry level tub with nice jets. I just wasn't comfortable paying $7000 - $9000 for my first tub because I'm not sure if I will use it enough to justify the expense (I live in the SF Bay Area and the dealers seem to be asking top dollar for spas around here). It was the same thing when I got into cycling in the 90's. I bought a decent entry level mountain bike for $400 instead of a good mid-range bike for $1000. I found out that I liked cycling, but not mountain biking. So, my next bike was a good quality road bike for $1700. I expect I'll do the same with a spa. If I find out that I really want to make tubbing an integral part of my lifestyle my next spa will be good quality mid-range model. Anyway, that's my story. I'll post some pics if someone can't point me to a FAQ that tells me how to do it.

Bob

Of course you are right, Spatech. Technically, it's a manufacturer's warranty and issue. But, the way the sales approach was framed to me was that they, Spa World, the dealer, would take care of any issues I had during the warranty period, worry-free, and within a 24-hour window. That Spa World had the reputation to uphold, blah, blah, blah, and that they were the greatest benefit to me, blah, blah, blah. Many people here know the drill, I am sure.

Bottom-line: had you bought a spa made by one of the very reputable manufacturers, service would now be their headache if the dealer went away. The best ones gain their reputation by taking care of business when needed.

which spa is it, the manufacturer covers the warranty not the dealer...

you still havent answered me on why other products are less then costco when your comparing apples to apples, but in hot tubs its so much different.

Also the Highlife spa which is a very toned down version of a hot springs soverign sells for 5700. I can sell a classic hot springs which has more features and better warranty for the same exact price. Now how does that make sense considering I am working for a "high margin" dealer.

Your concept of high volume and low margin would be incorrect, these are fantasies you have to make yourself feel better about buying low end stuff. Just because your a low end low quality shopper doesnt mean everyone is.

Does anyone remember when Weber was the best grill around? Home Depot told Weber they wanted them to make a grill for less money so they could sell more, long story short Weber is one of the cheapest names in grills now as they pulled all the thickness and everything from the grill making it a cheaper unit...the same costco is doing. Weber completely changed for home depot...not saying inifiti ever built a nice tub, the big box stores dont sell on quality they can only sell on price...because that "high pressure" sales person isnt there to educate you on why the product is worth more. I think that high pressure sales thing is a crock, if customers had the guts to tell a salesperson the truth about something there would be no high pressure, I never feel pressure when buying something cause if I like it I like it and if I dont I let the sales person know to show me something else, if I am not buying that day I tell him or her.

DM Industries makes the Vita Duet, they also give Costco the Duo...Vita duet dealers actually get more jets, longer warranty and dealers sell it for 2795-2995. They include better warranty more jets and backyard delivery for free, not to mention chemical start up kits and orientation on how to use spa. Less warranty, less jets and only 200 less? with Costco's buying power shouldnt it be like 1000 less, they have to buying the spa for much less....btw I will beable to sell that spa to you in Mass. Topsfield fair in early oct for the 2895 with the more jets and more warranty incase you want to save money from the money hungry costco people.

The dealer I am working for right now sells the same set of steps for the EXACT same price as costco...buying power must mean they buy it for less...but selling it for the same...no way, not costco, but they dont even make money on there steps, say it isnt so.

And you still havent answered my question about the watches. Pretty easy to attack products that arnt apples to apples...explain these, or dodge the question.

Update - The electrician is going to be here on Monday therefore he is requesting that I fill the tub. Therefore, I am planning on filling today - However need advice on a couple of things:

* In the Owner's Manual, it states to make sure "slice valves" should be in the open position before filling. Can anybody shed some light on what these look like and where they are located?

* It sounds to me like I should remove the filter lid and place the hose direcly into the filter housing. Does this sound correct?

* My plan was to fill it today without chemicals - Then when electric is on, throw in the chemicals and turn this thing on. Does anybody disagree?

Sorry about all of the questions -

And I really appreciate all of the help!

Bottom-line: had you bought a spa made by one of the very reputable manufacturers, service would now be their headache if the dealer went away. The best ones gain their reputation by taking care of business when needed.

Right.

And fortunately for me I avoided the headache and didn't go that route. My hope is that all those poor souls who did believe all the garbage Spa World was preaching--to justify the outrageous prices they were asking--are protected.