Heater on continuously and power bill is outrageous

mermel1967

Sunrise Journey 770.  in.xe spa pack.  in the spring i was having FLO issues which i have since resolved.   Jets all work fine..key pad is responsive but it's always calling for heat and the heater being 5000 watts means it uses a lot of energy.  It won't go past 104 (which is good) but i'm wondering if key pad is sending bad info to the board.  This particular pack has no high limit switch and as far as i know no serviceable thermostat.  Can anyone confirm?  I don't want to spend hundreds on a keypad and that not be the answer.  I've also done the checks with Ohms and voltage and they both report correctly.  Thanks for any insight.  P.S. if temp is at 100 and i drop it to 98...it will turn off trying for heat.  But when the water hits 98 it will turn on and stay on.   This is where the heater turns on and will not shut off.

23 hours ago, mermel1967 said:

It won't go past 104 (which is good) but i'm wondering if key pad is sending bad info to the board.  This particular pack has no high limit switch and as far as i know no serviceable thermostat.  Can anyone confirm?

No serviceable sensors is correct. An unusual situation I have not come across before. I suggest a call to Gecko Tech Support. They are very helpful. 1 800 784 3256. Please let us know results to help the next guy.

• Like 1

I don't understand since the heater shuts off at 104F why it would or could continue heating??? Wouldn't the temperature increase over 104F a lot in that instance?????

On my 1988 CalSpa when I set to "temperature" control, it heats to my desired temperature and then shuts off pump and heater until the temperature near the sender drops.

Further to my post.  It drops to 101 - 102 under normal conditions (cover off etc.) but it seems like it struggles to get to 104.  I think this is why it continues to heat.  It only got to 104 degrees once since i filled it last weekend and started it up for the season.  It has not been cold here yet for the system not to get to 104 quickly and then  lose temp quickly.  

On 10/11/2022 at 9:44 AM, mermel1967 said:

I've also done the checks with Ohms and voltage and they both report correctly. 

With this statement you eliminate 75% of the troubleshooting we would have you do. Given the frequency with which homeowners incorrectly test their electrical on this forum, I have to ask how sure you are in these results. For example, you can have a burned out relay and still read 120v to ground at a 240v component. It won't work, but you'll read voltage anyway.

Your description, this sentence aside, sounds like a bad heater relay. I'd suggest you retest and post results. Always test voltage from terminal to terminal on a heater, never terminal to ground. Post results.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

With this statement you eliminate 75% of the troubleshooting we would have you do. Given the frequency with which homeowners incorrectly test their electrical on this forum, I have to ask how sure you are in these results. For example, you can have a burned out relay and still read 120v to ground at a 240v component. It won't work, but you'll read voltage anyway.

Your description, this sentence aside, sounds like a bad heater relay. I'd suggest you retest and post results. Always test voltage from terminal to terminal on a heater, never terminal to ground. Post results.

Thank you RD..i'm no expert but i suspected bad relay from what i read and what the tub has done.  My father-in-law is an electrician and he tested for me afterwards and both voltage and ohms were what was suggested in documentation i have researched.  So for arguments sake...let's suggest that is in fact a bad relay; this requires a new control pack (which i would go with over a new board) correct?  Thank you.

5 hours ago, mermel1967 said:

both voltage and ohms were what was suggested in documentation i have researched.

So do you get 240V at the 2 hot leads going to the heater?

Confirm Test L1 and L2 together= 240V

See photo page 10. RE: in.xe: 

https://www.tubs.parts/includes/languages/english/docs/tubs-troubleshooting-guide-Gecko-in.y-in.xe.pdf