Dealer Support...everyone Says It's Important...

Aric

Ok, bound to be a controversial thread here...

Most on this board say the most important thing about buying a spa is the dealer support.

Hmmm

Perhaps my experience was different than normal. I bought a Coleman spa 8+ years ago. When it needed warranty service the first time, the dealer gave me the name and number of the factory authorized repair person for my area. I called. They'd come out. They'd fix it. They'd leave. No charge. After the first time, I never called the dealer, just the repair people, when I needed service. Usually got a 3 day turn around, and usually had the parts in the truck (when it was just a jet that stopped spinning or adjusting.) We did replace a pump around the 4th year, and I do think that may have taken another two days to get.

So the dealer didn't matter for support. Can someone explain how much different their warranty support would be if they had or did not have "dealer support"?

So the dealer didn't matter for support. Can someone explain how much different their warranty support would be if they had or did not have "dealer support"?

Your previous experience is not the norm. Typcailly the dealer themselves will be fully responsible for the work; the better they are on teh service end (and in customer service in general) the more satisfied you will be.

Most on this board say the most important thing about buying a spa is the dealer support.

Hmmm

Perhaps my experience was different than normal. I bought a Coleman spa 8+ years ago. When it needed warranty service the first time, the dealer gave me the name and number of the factory authorized repair person for my area. I called. They'd come out. They'd fix it. They'd leave. No charge. After the first time, I never called the dealer, just the repair people, when I needed service. Usually got a 3 day turn around, and usually had the parts in the truck (when it was just a jet that stopped spinning or adjusting.) We did replace a pump around the 4th year, and I do think that may have taken another two days to get.

Your Dealer was lucky and wise to find a good service organization that could handle the warranty service. I'm sure your dealer is involved in your warranty service and contacted by the service organization for authorization. In some cases The parts may have to be ordered through the dealer, even if The service orginazation has them in stock. A good dealer will do what is needed to get you the right parts the first time they are ordered.

If your Dealer does not have qualified people to perform warranty service you could be waiting months to find out what is wrong, get your parts, get them installed ect.

You may not have had any contact with the dealer, but I'll bet money he got a bill from the service organization. probably even has a copy of it and all the work performed in your file.

Your Dealer was lucky and wise to find a good service organization that could handle the warranty service. I'm sure your dealer is involved in your warranty service and contacted by the service organization for authorization. In some cases The parts may have to be ordered through the dealer, even if The service orginazation has them in stock. A good dealer will do what is needed to get you the right parts the first time they are ordered.

If your Dealer does not have qualified people to perform warranty service you could be waiting months to find out what is wrong, get your parts, get them installed ect.

You may not have had any contact with the dealer, but I'll bet money he got a bill from the service organization. probably even has a copy of it and all the work performed in your file.

As a Coleman Dealer for 21 yrs. Dealer back up service is key. For less idle time. Readily available parts, and expertise means the world especially during the winter.

Important...you bet. Ipurchased a Dynasty spa july 2006. It has leaked since the installation. My dealer (The Hot Tub Store) has been out to "fix" it 5 or 6 times. NOw it sits on my deck with parts missing totally ususable. I got about two months use out of the tub. I have called any written Dynasty to no avail. They won't even return a call or email.

Any suggestions?

Important...you bet. Ipurchased a Dynasty spa july 2006. It has leaked since the installation. My dealer (The Hot Tub Store) has been out to "fix" it 5 or 6 times. NOw it sits on my deck with parts missing totally ususable. I got about two months use out of the tub. I have called any written Dynasty to no avail. They won't even return a call or email.

Any suggestions?

Leave a message that you'd like to resolve this promoptly without having to get the BBB involved and leave the same message with Dynasty.

Readily available parts, and expertise means the world especially during the winter.

This is sooooooo true. you also have a good company behind the tub you bought. we have a Nordic crown XL and needed the company one time and they where right there(are dealer went belly up). i have heard from other members about being left out in the cold(so to speak).

Any suggestions?

You know the saying, A squeekey wheel gets greesed? Contact the dealer, and manufacturer everyday, checking the status on service, get your tail into the showroom, and voice your concerns a tad bit on the loud side. Make sure other customers can hear you, without apearing like too much like an "ASS". Demand the Spa be returned and refunded if Warranty Service cannot be performed in a reasonable amount of time,(One Month) no excuse after that. Document the unfinished work, (Take Pictures) of any obvious damage, loose parts, left over mess, ect. take them to the dealer, so he can see your documentation. Call your homeowners insurance company? Cunsult an attourney? If they cant fix it have them pick it up, and get your money back. I have seen some of these things get results in the past. It is not uncommon for a tub to be exchanged for a new one. I once was sent on a Warranty Service Call, (Leak) brand new tub. The tub had as I counted 60 leaks, connections were all made with no PVC cement it turned out. hard to believe hu?

" We wet test every unit" ya right! The owner ended up getting an upgraded tub, bath robes, and wine glasses. some people have all the luck! I hope yours will change! let us know what happens! :o

You don't need dealer support but rather support from the manufacturer of the spa to back up the spa with a service program in place. This can be done by either a contract with independent service techs or also with a contract with a retailers service dept.

The dealer will never "service" your spa after the sale, a tech will from a service department.

A dealer will have to get factory authorization to repair your spa. They won't carry out a repair unless authorised.

A dealer won't pay for a repair or service visit but a manufacturer will.

The key is to get a reputable, solid, large established brand of spa that will be here tomarrow and will service the spa reguardless of the selling dealers status or longevity.

When the spa is purchased, ask who and how it will be serviced whne neccesary.

Don't be afraid of online purchases or Box store purchases as the company is more important in backing a spa then the dealership.

Any suggestions?

Uh, doesn't this argument support the idea that having dealer support DOESN'T help? :wacko: I mean, you could get this level of support buying from CostCo right?

Uh, doesn't this argument support the idea that having dealer support DOESN'T help? :wacko: I mean, you could get this level of support buying from CostCo right?

What level of support are you missing other then hand holding? I get full warranty service and have a return option if I am not satisfied. No dealer will offer that!

NO wet test. my friend bought a 10,000 tub and no wet test. he wish he had now.

What level of support are you missing other then hand holding? I get full warranty service and have a return option if I am not satisfied. No dealer will offer that!

What does it cost to return it two or three times??

You know the saying, A squeekey wheel gets greesed? Contact the dealer, and manufacturer everyday, checking the status on service, get your tail into the showroom, and voice your concerns a tad bit on the loud side. Make sure other customers can hear you, without apearing like too much like an "ASS". Demand the Spa be returned and refunded if Warranty Service cannot be performed in a reasonable amount of time,(One Month) no excuse after that. Document the unfinished work, (Take Pictures) of any obvious damage, loose parts, left over mess, ect. take them to the dealer, so he can see your documentation. Call your homeowners insurance company? Cunsult an attourney? If they cant fix it have them pick it up, and get your money back. I have seen some of these things get results in the past. It is not uncommon for a tub to be exchanged for a new one. I once was sent on a Warranty Service Call, (Leak) brand new tub. The tub had as I counted 60 leaks, connections were all made with no PVC cement it turned out. hard to believe hu?

" We wet test every unit" ya right! The owner ended up getting an upgraded tub, bath robes, and wine glasses. some people have all the luck! I hope yours will change! let us know what happens! :o

Well the manufacturer (Dynasty) called back and promised that they would take care of the problem THIS WEEK. we will see if that happens. If so I'll report back.

Thx for the advice.

Hmmm

We had a Marquis spa for 12 years in Alaska and the nearest dealer was in Washington State. While under warranty, we had no problem getting service. But, following the warranty period I did most of the repairs myself (and there weren't many needed). I came to the conclusion that if a person can screw in a light bulb, he can do most repairs himself. Changing out a pump, ozonator, heater, or water jet is not rocket science. I certainly wouldn't let this "dealer support" discussion scare you off from getting the tub you want or can afford.

I have asked this question here before with no answers, How does Costco warranty something that is out of warranty by the original maker, I mean they also sell extended warranty's which why would anyone ever buy it if they are giving you a lifetime warranty for nothing, it seems like something has to give someplace.

I have asked this question here before with no answers, How does Costco warranty something that is out of warranty by the original maker, I mean they also sell extended warranty's which why would anyone ever buy it if they are giving you a lifetime warranty for nothing, it seems like something has to give someplace.

I think its a "lifetime return policy".

Part of the problem is that warranty work is "rampant" with most spas. Most have problems,like 95%. So, you need to have service if you can't pick up a screwdriver. If you ask around you will find that most people love thier hot tub and don't mind all the breakdowns as long as the store has good service.

http://www.soundclick.com/havenhead

Part of the problem is that warranty work is "rampant" with most spas. Most have problems,like 95%. So, you need to have service if you can't pick up a screwdriver. If you ask around you will find that most people love thier hot tub and don't mind all the breakdowns as long as the store has good service.

I would say that this is completely wrong. I don't know for sure but I hear more "I have had no problems for the last 5-6 years" or if there was it was a minor problem easiely fixed by the dealer or homeowner. Maybe it is that way with your brand and Phoenix but most quality brands have very few service issues.