mer jay

Fiberglass pool faded after one year

Hello, I have a River fiberglass pool. This is our second summer of use. After we took off the winter cover we noticed most the walls and the bottom were bleached out. We tried giving it a couple of months to get the water chemistry correct. Its not calcium either because its not rough to touch... We cant get the River pool guys back out to look. Apart, from painting it I don't know what to do. Please advise.... 

IMG_7497.JPG

IMG_7498.jpg

D

22 hours ago, mer jay said:

We tried giving it a couple of months to get the water chemistry correct.

A couple of months to get the water chemistry correct?!?!?! It should have been balanced within a week of opening, two at the most!

Doesn't look like fading. Looks more like calcium silicate deposits, which are chalky and not rough like calcium carbonate deposits. Cause is unbalanced water (high calcium, high pH) and very difficult to to remove. They often occur in a closed pool and do not respond to acid like calcium carbonate scale does. In a gunite (plaster or tile surface) they are removed with a pumice stone but in a fiberglass pool chemical methods are the only option. You need to find someone familiar with the process and chemicals and realize that it can take MONTHS and is not always successful.

It could also possibly be gelcoat bleaching, which can happen when a pool is closed from a combination of high chlorine levels and high pH. Consult your manufacturer's warranty on the pool surface to see if you are covered. Bottom line, this should NOT happen to a 2 year old pool! but if the manufacturer maintains that you have not maintained the water chemistry correctly you might be out of luck

You can also resurface a fiberglass pool but the gelcoat will never perform as well as the factory applied one and will need to be done more frequently.

You can paint a fiberglass pool but you will have to repaint every 2 to 3 years since that is all pool paint will last before chalking or peeling. Also, if you fully drain a fiberglass pool for painting you MUST have a pool contractor reinforce the pool before draining to prevent buckling of the shell or the shell popping out of the ground. It is NOT a DIY project!

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, the chemistry was balanced right away. I guess we were wishing it would get better on its own. I was asked for a chemistry log which I don't have. We had a professional winterizer it, I will try to get them to address but its a uphill battle with these guys! We got a quote for a an ECO finish and it was 8K for a 12/24 pool. Way to much for us. I will research calcium silicate deposits. I appreciate any help!!

Wrap a cloth around a pool brush and brush it with that it will probably come off.  A regular pool brush won't do it.  It's common with fiberglass and not necessarily your fault I've had it happen with pools that have beautiful pH balance.

9 minutes ago, rspar said:

Wrap a cloth around a pool brush and brush it with that it will probably come off.  A regular pool brush won't do it.  It's common with fiberglass and not necessarily your fault I've had it happen with pools that have beautiful pH balance.

Thanks. I will give  it a try. A regular cotton cloth?