2003 Hot Spring Grandee Vs. 2010 Costco Strong

Alex Houston

In my continued search for a 6-7 person spa in the $4-to-$5k price range, I recently came across a used 2003 Hot Spring Grandee in a pretty good shape. The asking price is $3,500; delivery will likely be $500 extra. I have also been contemplating buying a new spa from Costco (e.g. Key West or Elements, when they are back on sale, they will also be around $4k). How do I go about choosing between a 2003 Grandee and 2010 Strong Spa? I am not looking for a gazillion jets, so Strong’s advantage in jet count is not that important for me. But how would these spas compare in other features, reliability, insulation, etc? What else should I take into account before pulling a plug on either? Opinions from folks who faced a similar choice (e.g. higher-end used vs. lower-end new) would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a 7+ year old tub that price sounds very high to me, especially when you consider it's gonna be $4,000 with delivery.

If you shop around you should be able to get a new Hotspring or Sundance (amongst others) for not much more than $6,000 plus tax, and that will include delivery, set-up and warranty.

For a 7+ year old tub that price sounds very high to me, especially when you consider it's gonna be $4,000 with delivery.

If you shop around you should be able to get a new Hotspring or Sundance (amongst others) for not much more than $6,000 plus tax, and that will include delivery, set-up and warranty.

$6K would be entry level tubs, a new Grandee runs closer to $10-11K depending on options.

Dave

I would agree with Mikery on this,,, it seems high.. but there should be a lot of descent spa out there for not much more,, Look at the D1 @ Home series, Sundance lower series, The Marquis Everyday series, Clearwater xs series, You might even look at the South Pacific Compact or Quadra. just some suggestions.. i know there is a presence of people whoi like the Costco spas. I myself like Costco but not for big purchases....But i am not trying to get a discussion on that.....I believe buying and supporting your local dealer is huge....

In my continued search for a 6-7 person spa in the $4-to-$5k price range, I recently came across a used 2003 Hot Spring Grandee in a pretty good shape. The asking price is $3,500; delivery will likely be $500 extra. I have also been contemplating buying a new spa from Costco (e.g. Key West or Elements, when they are back on sale, they will also be around $4k). How do I go about choosing between a 2003 Grandee and 2010 Strong Spa? I am not looking for a gazillion jets, so Strongs advantage in jet count is not that important for me. But how would these spas compare in other features, reliability, insulation, etc? What else should I take into account before pulling a plug on either? Opinions from folks who faced a similar choice (e.g. higher-end used vs. lower-end new) would be greatly appreciated.

The 7 YO Grande should have 10 more years in it. You'll never get that out of any brand sold through Costco. But 3500 is to high, more like 2 grand. Plus what your calling an advantage in jet count is truely no advantage. The feel of the tub is the only way to tell which has an advantage. No matter how many jets.

In my continued search for a 6-7 person spa in the $4-to-$5k price range, I recently came across a used 2003 Hot Spring Grandee in a pretty good shape. The asking price is $3,500; delivery will likely be $500 extra. I have also been contemplating buying a new spa from Costco (e.g. Key West or Elements, when they are back on sale, they will also be around $4k). How do I go about choosing between a 2003 Grandee and 2010 Strong Spa? I am not looking for a gazillion jets, so Strongs advantage in jet count is not that important for me. But how would these spas compare in other features, reliability, insulation, etc? What else should I take into account before pulling a plug on either? Opinions from folks who faced a similar choice (e.g. higher-end used vs. lower-end new) would be greatly appreciated.

The 7 YO Grande should have 10 more years in it. You'll never get that out of any brand sold through Costco. But 3500 is to high, more like 2 grand. Plus what your calling an advantage in jet count is truely no advantage. The feel of the tub is the only way to tell which has an advantage. No matter how many jets.

If the Grandee is in really good shape as you state (including you seeing it fully operational not just that it "looks" good) then I think 2500 is a good price though I'd counter with $2k to leave myself some room if they recounter. Don't be afraid to counter offer because they obviously haven't gotten anyone to pay their full price yet and people ussually ask for more than they expect to get. I'd definteily take that spa (for the right price if working well) over the Costco spa.

In my continued search for a 6-7 person spa in the $4-to-$5k price range, I recently came across a used 2003 Hot Spring Grandee in a pretty good shape. The asking price is $3,500; delivery will likely be $500 extra. I have also been contemplating buying a new spa from Costco (e.g. Key West or Elements, when they are back on sale, they will also be around $4k). How do I go about choosing between a 2003 Grandee and 2010 Strong Spa? I am not looking for a gazillion jets, so Strong’s advantage in jet count is not that important for me. But how would these spas compare in other features, reliability, insulation, etc? What else should I take into account before pulling a plug on either? Opinions from folks who faced a similar choice (e.g. higher-end used vs. lower-end new) would be greatly appreciated.

If the Grandee is in really good shape as you state (including you seeing it fully operational not just that it "looks" good) then I think 2500 is a good price though I'd counter with $2k to leave myself some room if they recounter. Don't be afraid to counter offer because they obviously haven't gotten anyone to pay their full price yet and people ussually ask for more than they expect to get. I'd definteily take that spa (for the right price if working well) over the Costco spa.

Costco is currently offering 9 spas. Evolution (Strong's value line) are 6 of them. I'm just wondering which of those you guys are referring too, and which of them you have "felt" per Roger's suggestion. For $1500 the Hot Spring sounds interesting, for $4800, the Strong CSXi80 can't be beat. Way to many unknowns on a used spa, Costco has the return policy ... I didn't start the Costco bashing in this thread :)

DK117

I know there are many that feel that the Costco spas are a bargain, but I'd rather have a used Grandee than the best Costco spa. The Grandee is a really nice tub. I do feel the asking price for the used HS is high unless it's in excellent condition. I'd try to bargain them down some. I liked the suggestion to look at (and wet test) some of the other makes like the D1 home line or the Sundance 680 series, or possibly a Tiger River by Hot Spring.

Without a doubt, I'd try to get that 2003 Grandee long before I'd even consider a Costco hot tub of any brand. Heck, I'd rather see you buy most of Hot Spring's competitors before you buy a Costco hot tub.

Dk117 i do not think there is any bashing of Costco here, when the question is asked by a consumer we all have our reasons and opinions,I think for us who are regulars on here do have experience with mutilpe brands, From what i have heard Strong makes a pretty good spa, But for what i have seen in our area with any Costco brand spa sold to me is not worth it. Even with the return policy,,I do shop at Costco i buy a lot of stuff there,, but as i have always stated on this forum, i will not buy anything like mowers, blowers, air compressors, refirgerators, etc. i like to buy products like those from places i can get service or even have a question... that is my personal opinion,,,,But DK117 if you love your spa great,, it is nice to have you on hear for those types of spas, this way any consumer that goes on hear can hear all sides and help them make a decision on what to get........I do believe anytiime a consumer comes on to this site is a great thing, and if we can help educate that person is i belive a huge process for the end result.....buying a hot tub that works for the particular person since everyones tastes and like are different......

Jeremiah , were you been, did you get too much snow over there......

Keep in mind that you are comparing apples and oranges...not apples to apples. An HS Grandee is a higher quality tub than the Costco models. It's like comparing a used luxury car to a new standard model chevy. The chevy may be new but will never be a luxury car. The question as to whether a used luxury car still performs like a luxury car after 50,000 miles depends on how it was treated and maintained. The same is true for a used HS Grandee. The only way to tell is to take the Grandee out for a test spin (wet test) to make sure it operates and performs like a high end tub. Also, like a used car, I would want to know the repair history on the tub. What if anything has been replaced on the Grandee?

I don't think you can wet test the Costco tubs unless you can find a dealer in the area that has them available for wet testing. Irrespective of Costco's return policy, servicing the Costco tub may be preferable to returning it. It would be prudent to see if there is a dealer in your area that can service either tub.

I agree with some of the other posters in that I think $3,500.00 for a 2003 HS Grandee is on the high side. Therefore, you're not even comparing apples to apples when just considering price.

Just my $0.02. Good Luck

gman B)

Costco is currently offering 9 spas. Evolution (Strong's value line) are 6 of them. I'm just wondering which of those you guys are referring too, and which of them you have "felt" per Roger's suggestion. For $1500 the Hot Spring sounds interesting, for $4800, the Strong CSXi80 can't be beat. Way to many unknowns on a used spa, Costco has the return policy ... I didn't start the Costco bashing in this thread :)

DK117

Find me one single person with a 10 yo tub purchased at any big box retailer. Just one!! I have seen, disposed of, and moved hundreds of 5-6-7 YO ones but none any older. NONE.

DK117

Find me one single person with a 10 yo tub purchased at any big box retailer. Just one!! I have seen, disposed of, and moved hundreds of 5-6-7 YO ones but none any older. NONE.

agreed Roger, from my experience 6-7 years seem to be the very top end as far as life of these things go. Just like my sig says, you get what you pay for, people who think they are getting the deal of the century on huge "fully loaded" tubs for 4-6k from these big box stores will end up paying just as much over 10-15 years as someone who started off with a 10-12k tub from Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, D1, etc. because they will be buying 2 tubs. I'm not trying to bash any particular brand these are just my own observations over the past 10 years

Alex, what did you decide?

Rather than responding individually (I was out all weekend) I'll just add my personal opinion. I'll be thrilled if I get 5, 6, or 7 years out of my Strong Spa (although I have no reason to belive it won't last longer, that's all I ever thought I'd get out of it.) I really don't want to own a 15 year old tub of any make or model. And after looking at several used options I got scared and decided to go new. I'll decide in another 5 years or so how serious I am about tubbing, and do some wet tests and will certainly see what Costco is offering. I've always understood what it is that I'm doing. I'm hedging my bets on innovation. There might be some really nice new features that only come with new tubs. That being said, I don't need the BMW when the Kia gets the job done. It's just a difference of opinion. And I could concievably have two strong spas, at $5k a piece that would give me a lifespan of a single hotsprings at $10k. Who knows? And Alex, from the little I know, Hotsprings makes a solid spa. They also seem to have a large marketing department, I can't get off their mailing list ... LOL.

Good luck.

DK117

I haven't followed the full history of Costco tubs, but I know that it isn't good. Many mfg'rs have come and gone over the years (mostly after only a few short years) leaving a wake of dissatisfied customers. Strong came into Costco's lineup a little over a year ago now I believe, and so far, most of the Strong owners have been satisified with their tubs, which is good for both Costco and Strong. Hopefully, Strong will prove to be a reliable long term brand. However, if history is any indication, people have a right to be skeptics as well! I've never seen or wet tested a Strong/Costco tub personally, but it appears to be a decent low to middle of the road tub with good value for the money. They rely solely on bullet jets, which are mediocre at best for hydrothereapy (cheaper and easier to get the quantity count up to impress uninformed buyers), but at least they use reputable and readily available parts (Balboa/Waterway), even if they are at the lower end from these suppliers. The perimeter insulation also make them easy to service, which is probably a good thing based on Costco's record and remote dealer support. However, I'm still doubtful that the perimeter insulation used is anywhere near as efficient as full foam.

All that said, I think it's unfair to compare Strong's Costco tubs to Hot Spring. gman's car analogy was spot-on! They were designed to go up against all of the shady traveling fair and locally mfg'd tubs and were never intended to compete with Hot Spring. If you are going to compare Strong's Costco tubs to anything Watkin's manufactures, it would be more fair to compare them to the Hot Spot series of tubs. Even then, that's not truly a good comparison though, because while the prices of the Hot Spot tubs dip down close into the range of Strong's Costco tubs, you're getting better quality of componentry/jets with less frills on the Hot Spot tubs, which will likely have less total jets than the Strong tubs, but the jets they include will be much better quality and provide a better hydromassage. The pumps, heater, and controller on the Hot Spot are also the same thing you're getting on a Hot Spring spa, as Watkin's doesn't sacrifice build quality for their lower tiered brands. Instead, they trim down on the frills (lighting, water features, total jets, size, etc.) to reach a price point.

Really, it comes down to a question of what you're after? Both tubs should heat the water and move it around. In fact, some people like just soaking in hot water and could care less about the jets. If that's the case, the Strong/Costco tubs should do that quite nicely. However, don't make the mistake of thinking you're getting an $8k-$10k tub, if you go with Strong/Costco though. As I've said before, they're not bad for the money, but they're not going to compete with Hot Spring, Sundance, D1, Caldera, Marquis, or any of the other major mfg'rs in components or hydrotherapy. Personally, I'd rather go with the tub that was designed to provide a real hydrotherapy benefit with the jets, and uses top quality components for long term reliability, even if it sacrifices some of the non-essential bells and whistles. If you can't afford the tub you really want, buying used is a great way to go, but also keep in mind, you're giving up the warranty and the installation will cost you extra. Factor those things into your price, and there are some great deals to be had on used tubs, or as I previously indicated, that's why the major mfg'rs have lower end tiers/brands/models as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I did tons of research and read lots of comments before going ahead and buying a Costco Spa in 2007.

The naysayers were mainly spa store owners who warned about the perils of not buying from a "local" and "professional" spa store. They warned of inferior products, inferior warranty protection if something went wrong... and basically said you'll be sorry and you get what you pay for... well here is what happened.. I paid $3000 for the unit and got it delivered on time, tipped the delivery guy $20 and he helped me bring it into the backyard on his dolly. I had my local Spa Tech guy that worked on my previous unit check it out and he gave it a thumbs up and said call me if you run into any problems... Well, the unit worked well for 3 years. No problems, cost about $45 in electricity to operate, and I never needed any support. In September of 2010, one of the pumps failed to come on so I called my Spa Tech and he said one of the motors was blocked up due to hard water deposits and the other motor was starting to show some signs of problems to come. He said it was the result of my failure to maintain proper water chemistry and the damage would most likely not be covered by my 5 year motor warranty because it was my fault. He said if I had bought the unit through any of the local Spa Stores, they would deny the claim as the warranty clearly states that improper water chemistry will void the warranty. So, I called Infinity Spas as they were the manufacturer and told them that the motor went out and I wanted to know if they would replace it without going into any details. The rep for Infinity Spas told me that they had been bought out as the original Infinity Spa wen bankrupt and the new company purchased their manufacturing site and is producing hot tubs but they did not assume any of the liabilities of the previous owner...that was the bad news.. but here's the good news: He asked if I had bought the unit through Costco and then said Costco was honoring the warranty on the units they sold and I should contact Costco...which I did. Within three days of first talking to Costco (they have a spa resolution specialist set up for the claims) they had TWO pumps shipped out at no charge and said that they would arrange for their subcontract Spa Tech to schedule an appointment once the two pumps arrived. Well, the pumps arrived a week later and I had my own Spa Tech give me a quote and I asked Costco if I could use my own Spa Tech or if I had to use theirs. They agreed that $200 was a fair price to switch out the 2 pumps, so they mailed me a check covering the full amount I spent for the labor using my own Spa Tech guy. I got the check in about 10 days... so the moral of the story: Yes, I got what I paid for! and I am very glad that I researched it, ignored the naysayers, and made my purchase. And I promise to pay better attention to the water chemistry from now on...

I did tons of research and read lots of comments before going ahead and buying a Costco Spa in 2007.

The naysayers were mainly spa store owners who warned about the perils of not buying from a "local" and "professional" spa store. They warned of inferior products, inferior warranty protection if something went wrong... and basically said you'll be sorry and you get what you pay for... well here is what happened.. I paid $3000 for the unit and got it delivered on time, tipped the delivery guy $20 and he helped me bring it into the backyard on his dolly. I had my local Spa Tech guy that worked on my previous unit check it out and he gave it a thumbs up and said call me if you run into any problems... Well, the unit worked well for 3 years. No problems, cost about $45 in electricity to operate, and I never needed any support. In September of 2010, one of the pumps failed to come on so I called my Spa Tech and he said one of the motors was blocked up due to hard water deposits and the other motor was starting to show some signs of problems to come. He said it was the result of my failure to maintain proper water chemistry and the damage would most likely not be covered by my 5 year motor warranty because it was my fault. He said if I had bought the unit through any of the local Spa Stores, they would deny the claim as the warranty clearly states that improper water chemistry will void the warranty. So, I called Infinity Spas as they were the manufacturer and told them that the motor went out and I wanted to know if they would replace it without going into any details. The rep for Infinity Spas told me that they had been bought out as the original Infinity Spa wen bankrupt and the new company purchased their manufacturing site and is producing hot tubs but they did not assume any of the liabilities of the previous owner...that was the bad news.. but here's the good news: He asked if I had bought the unit through Costco and then said Costco was honoring the warranty on the units they sold and I should contact Costco...which I did. Within three days of first talking to Costco (they have a spa resolution specialist set up for the claims) they had TWO pumps shipped out at no charge and said that they would arrange for their subcontract Spa Tech to schedule an appointment once the two pumps arrived. Well, the pumps arrived a week later and I had my own Spa Tech give me a quote and I asked Costco if I could use my own Spa Tech or if I had to use theirs. They agreed that $200 was a fair price to switch out the 2 pumps, so they mailed me a check covering the full amount I spent for the labor using my own Spa Tech guy. I got the check in about 10 days... so the moral of the story: Yes, I got what I paid for! and I am very glad that I researched it, ignored the naysayers, and made my purchase. And I promise to pay better attention to the water chemistry from now on...

just curious did he mean if you bought your spa through a local dealer or if you bought a different brand from a local dealer ie jacuzzi, hot spring, D1, etc.?

So 3 years and 2 pumps. You got 3 more years of enjoyment before it self destructs....enjoy it!!! For 8 grand I could get ya 15-20 years

just curious did he mean if you bought your spa through a local dealer or if you bought a different brand from a local dealer ie jacuzzi, hot spring, D1, etc.?

If I had bought ANY spa through a spa store instead of through Costco, and if the product failed as it did because of my failure to adhere to proper water chemistry, I would have been out of luck as far as my warranty because ALL warrantees exclude failure due to improper water chemistry. My point is that he warranty from Costco is not inferior as others have cautioned about, but rather it is better than the warranty offered from the local spa stores.

So 3 years and 2 pumps. You got 3 more years of enjoyment before it self destructs....enjoy it!!! For 8 grand I could get ya 15-20 years

You missed the point. First of all the pumps that came with my unit were GE pumps. According to the Spa Technician that serviced the unit, they are the same pumps that he sees on the major brands that he works on all the time. So, if I had bought an $8000 spa from another spa dealer, a naysayer like yourself, for example, I would have had the pump go out after three years and you rightfully would have told me that the calcium crud that had blocked the motor up was the result of my failure to monitor the water chemistry properly (I admit that I failed to replace the water 3 times a year, and my hardness level since I am on a well is very hard and should have been monitored better). AND, you would not be replacing the pumps since the warranty did not cover my negligence in this case. I now have a spa and I am out only $3000, my initial payment, with 2 new pumps that are working like it is Day 1, plus I now understand the importance of proper water chemistry so I am sure that I'll get the extended life that the pump normally would see. I think it is funny that the people who sell spas on this forum want us to believe that the spas sold through Costco are made with inferior parts and you will not be able to get support when something goes wrong. That's not the case. I understand why you don't like the competition as it forces you to lower your prices. Or, keep your prices where they are and try and spread the word that other products, like the spas Costco sells, are inferior and without any support. That was not my experience. Costco spas are subcontracted out to factories that make spas and use Balboa controllers, GE pumps, PVC pipes and fiberglass frames for their own line and for OEM sales. There is nothing wrong with the spas and most of the components under the hood, according to my Spa Technician who works on ALL brands under the sun, are the same components he sees on other brands. The myth I was trying to dispel pertains to getting into trouble if you buy a spa from a non Spa Dealer. If you do not have a Spa Tech in your area that you can call on in case you run into a problem, then you are probably better off buying from a local Spa Seller because the higher price is basically a built-in insurance policy.

You missed the point. First of all the pumps that came with my unit were GE pumps. According to the Spa Technician that serviced the unit, they are the same pumps that he sees on the major brands that he works on all the time. So, if I had bought an $8000 spa from another spa dealer, a naysayer like yourself, for example, I would have had the pump go out after three years and you rightfully would have told me that the calcium crud that had blocked the motor up was the result of my failure to monitor the water chemistry properly (I admit that I failed to replace the water 3 times a year, and my hardness level since I am on a well is very hard and should have been monitored better). AND, you would not be replacing the pumps since the warranty did not cover my negligence in this case. I now have a spa and I am out only $3000, my initial payment, with 2 new pumps that are working like it is Day 1, plus I now understand the importance of proper water chemistry so I am sure that I'll get the extended life that the pump normally would see. I think it is funny that the people who sell spas on this forum want us to believe that the spas sold through Costco are made with inferior parts and you will not be able to get support when something goes wrong. That's not the case. I understand why you don't like the competition as it forces you to lower your prices. Or, keep your prices where they are and try and spread the word that other products, like the spas Costco sells, are inferior and without any support. That was not my experience. Costco spas are subcontracted out to factories that make spas and use Balboa controllers, GE pumps, PVC pipes and fiberglass frames for their own line and for OEM sales. There is nothing wrong with the spas and most of the components under the hood, according to my Spa Technician who works on ALL brands under the sun, are the same components he sees on other brands. The myth I was trying to dispel pertains to getting into trouble if you buy a spa from a non Spa Dealer. If you do not have a Spa Tech in your area that you can call on in case you run into a problem, then you are probably better off buying from a local Spa Seller because the higher price is basically a built-in insurance policy.

GE makes the motor, not the pump. The pump is the wet end that you most likely had problems with. It sounds like your seal assemblies were bad, which probably caused the shaft to corrode and impeller to sieze up or break. Lots of times caused by bad water chemistry but it could be inferior parts that make up the pump/wet end which contributed to the early problem.

I have sent back an estimated 20,000 warranty parts to Watkins over the last 20 years and they have never denied a claim due to water chemistry. Just thought I would let you know my experience servicing one of the "big brands".

No......your missing the point! First off I am an independent tech. I don't sell any brand. My opinion of any tub sold through Costco is what it is based on my experience. There past has been crud...nothing more. They have fallen apart after only a few years of service and have hardly made the 5-6 year mark most value tubs need to make in order to be, well, a value. The ONLY thing that makes them even close to a value is the return policy so far and there longevity, which needs to make 5-6 years has yet to be seen!! So your speculation based on your experience is doo-doo.

No......your missing the point! First off I am an independent tech. I don't sell any brand. My opinion of any tub sold through Costco is what it is based on my experience. There past has been crud...nothing more. They have fallen apart after only a few years of service and have hardly made the 5-6 year mark most value tubs need to make in order to be, well, a value. The ONLY thing that makes them even close to a value is the return policy so far and there longevity, which needs to make 5-6 years has yet to be seen!! So your speculation based on your experience is doo-doo.

Since it is Christmas I'll just say politely that I will have to agree to disagree with you. To say that my opinion is "doo-doo" typifies your biased mindset and ignores the reality of how OEM products are made. Welcome to doing business in 2011.

Since it is Christmas I'll just say politely that I will have to agree to disagree with you. To say that my opinion is "doo-doo" typifies your biased mindset and ignores the reality of how OEM products are made. Welcome to doing business in 2011.

Reality is that a manufacturers can and do make good, better, best products. In the spa industry, Costco typically distributes good products, not better or best. If you are satisfied with a good spa, that is great. If you want to pretend you have a comparable product for less money that's fine also. Some people prefer better or even best products. To each his own. Merry Christmas.