Looking For A Smaller Spa

LucyMarin

I'm absolutely obsessing over spas right now and my biggest challenge is determining which brand/model to purchase. I'm looking for a 2-4 person spa, one that will fit through my 73 inch gate. I love the D1 Triad, but it's a bit more than I want to spend and maybe too deep for my 5' wife. Help, any suggestions? I'm wet testing the LA Spa Allure III and the Marquis Spirit (after spending 25 minutes on the line with the service manager at a LA/Marquis dealer, I'm leaning towards the Marquis). Jets and hydrotherapy are most important to me. a lounge is appealing too. I have a 6' claw foot tub already, and want this spa to be more about soothing my aching body and general relaxing vs. merely hot circulating water. Also looked at the new Calspa Escape, though have heard far too much negative press about these to pursue. Anyway, sorry for the long post. I would really appreciate input on the two spas I'm looking at and welcome all other feedback. It's been difficult finding good information on-line in this current obsessive pursuit. Thanks....

I'm absolutely obsessing over spas right now and my biggest challenge is determining which brand/model to purchase. I'm looking for a 2-4 person spa, one that will fit through my 73 inch gate. I love the D1 Triad, but it's a bit more than I want to spend and maybe too deep for my 5' wife. Help, any suggestions? I'm wet testing the LA Spa Allure III and the Marquis Spirit (after spending 25 minutes on the line with the service manager at a LA/Marquis dealer, I'm leaning towards the Marquis). Jets and hydrotherapy are most important to me. a lounge is appealing too. I have a 6' claw foot tub already, and want this spa to be more about soothing my aching body and general relaxing vs. merely hot circulating water. Also looked at the new Calspa Escape, though have heard far too much negative press about these to pursue. Anyway, sorry for the long post. I would really appreciate input on the two spas I'm looking at and welcome all other feedback. It's been difficult finding good information on-line in this current obsessive pursuit. Thanks....

Marquis Spas have been around a long time and are well built products. I believe they have the best to offer for a smaller spa. friend of mine has one and really likes it. Sorry don't know much about LA Spas only ever saw 1 of them

You might also check out the Arctic Fox by Arctic Spas. Its a very comfortable 2-4 person spa, and it would fit through your gate, as it is 86 x 69 x 39. It also has a lounger in it, and is available in four different jetting packages which also makes it available if four different prices. You can go to Arctic Spas dealer locater to see if there is a dealer near you area. Let me know if you have any questions.

arctic-fox_ultra.png

You might also check out the Arctic Fox by Arctic Spas. Its a very comfortable 2-4 person spa, and it would fit through your gate, as it is 86 x 69 x 39. It also has a lounger in it, and is available in four different jetting packages which also makes it available if four different prices. You can go to Arctic Spas dealer locater to see if there is a dealer near you area. Let me know if you have any questions.

arctic-fox_ultra.png

If you are in Marin County (your name) check out the Hot Spring Jetsetter from Creative Energy. Classic Jetsetter is a version that can save you some money.

I have a La Spa Heet and I am very happy with the hydropherapy. If you are considering the Allure III and its power you are after then try and wet test the two pump version, also check out the different jet configerations.

You have a big bonus by having a dealer that sells the two makes you can compare side by side and if you are happy with the dealer then its all down to the wet test.

I'm absolutely obsessing over spas right now and my biggest challenge is determining which brand/model to purchase. I'm looking for a 2-4 person spa, one that will fit through my 73 inch gate. <snip>

If the main driver for a smaller spa is your gate width, understand that most spas are delivered on their side. My 7'+ spa was brought through a 44" gate no problem. Larger spas offer more options for seating- ours seats 6 but I am often in there by myself and enjoy being able to move around. Food for thought.

Thanks for all the good input. Size is an issue as the doorway is only 73" tall before the gate tapers into an arch, shrinking the width dramatically. We're also now going to look at a Sundance Capri floor model, however, even the floor model is more than we want to spend, noting all our other projects. Trying to keep the cost to $6k. Will look at the Jetsetter too as many of you seem to like this tub, though it looks a bit light on jets at first glance. Thanks again...

I was also concerned about the number of jets on the Jetsetter at first - but let me tell you... they work magic. I am so happy that we chose the Jetsetter. I really is an amazing Hot Tub for 2-3 (4) people.

I also have a jetsetter, very happy with the spa, but it really is only comfortable for 2 people and that's perfect for me and my wife. I got mine (new 2009) for 5500.00 plus tax (5900.00). I got the steps, cover lifter, starter kit and delivery set up for free. Very good deal and uses very little power, or chemical. I had it hooked up to 220 power, it stays nice and hot when open and 10 degrees out. The jets are all I need , the hot water, moto massage helps me the most on therapy.

I was also concerned about the number of jets on the Jetsetter at first - but let me tell you... they work magic. I am so happy that we chose the Jetsetter. I really is an amazing Hot Tub for 2-3 (4) people.

Always use teh "-1" factor for spas. If a spa brochure/website says it is a 4 person spa then its really a 3-person spa, if it says its a 3-person its really a 2 person spa, etc.

Always use teh "-1" factor for spas. If a spa brochure/website says it is a 4 person spa then its really a 3-person spa, if it says its a 3-person its really a 2 person spa, etc.

I agree with the -1 factor. Most models it's very true.

If you're okay with a 2 person sized spa, the Hot Spring Jetsetter has to be my favorite hot tub over all. It's a great couple spa, is extremely energy efficient, and it's a very, very popular model for my dealer. We sell a lot of them, and their owners are super happy with them.

For something larger, the Hot Spring Prodigy is a great 3-4 person (it's rated 5) spa. You could also consider the Tiger River Sumatran (rated at 4).

We're just back from a wet test of the Spirit. Loved the size, comfort and styling. Jet placement too was nice, though a little weaker than we anticipated. The salesperson was great, but a bit perplexed as to why the jets weren't more powerful (never had been filled. transferred water from another tub the night before to get it ready for us). Tub was setup for 120, not 240 which might have something to do with it. Not sure if the tub had an issue or wasn't started properly. At any rate, he's talking to the service tech to get a better idea. It's either that it's a 120 vs. 240 thing or there is an issue with the particular floor model we tested. We're testing another Marquis side by side with the Allure over the weekend so will have a good comparison. This all said, we loved the Spirit and are ready to pull the trigger if it can be shown to have better pressure.

We're just back from a wet test of the Spirit. Loved the size, comfort and styling. Jet placement too was nice, though a little weaker than we anticipated. The salesperson was great, but a bit perplexed as to why the jets weren't more powerful (never had been filled. transferred water from another tub the night before to get it ready for us). Tub was setup for 120, not 240 which might have something to do with it. Not sure if the tub had an issue or wasn't started properly. At any rate, he's talking to the service tech to get a better idea. It's either that it's a 120 vs. 240 thing or there is an issue with the particular floor model we tested. We're testing another Marquis side by side with the Allure over the weekend so will have a good comparison. This all said, we loved the Spirit and are ready to pull the trigger if it can be shown to have better pressure.

It is not going to be an issue of power supply. All that changes when you go from 120 to 240 volts is the heater. Pump stays the same.

I know that the Jetsetter is only a 3 person spa - and normally we are just my wife and I. But we have been 3 and 4 people in it. 3 is more than fine - 4 is very crowded, but indeed possible.

^_^

It is not going to be an issue of power supply. All that changes when you go from 120 to 240 volts is the heater. Pump stays the same.

Thanks for the input. That too is what the salesperson said and was a little taken aback by it's light performance. I'll see how it pans out tomorrow.

LucyMarin: You were wet testing a Spirit with the smaller pump that can run on 120v or 240v. There is an upgraded pump available called a MP160 that will definitely be what you're looking for. I'm surprised the salesperson didn't point this out. The upgraded pump only runs on 240v electric and it will give you an extra 40 gallons per minute of power. When we displayed a Spirit at the stores that I worked at, we always had it running with the larger MP160 pump. Another thing you can do to increase power is turning off the waterfalls, but I don't think this will be necessary if you get the upgraded pump.

LucyMarin: You were wet testing a Spirit with the smaller pump that can run on 120v or 240v. There is an upgraded pump available called a MP160 that will definitely be what you're looking for. I'm surprised the salesperson didn't point this out. The upgraded pump only runs on 240v electric and it will give you an extra 40 gallons per minute of power. When we displayed a Spirit at the stores that I worked at, we always had it running with the larger MP160 pump. Another thing you can do to increase power is turning off the waterfalls, but I don't think this will be necessary if you get the upgraded pump.

Yea, we knew that but were told that this pump as more than adequate for the tube. Certainly not the case and would be certainly looking to upgrade. I'm feeling a bit turned off to the tub because of these little one offs. I still love it, but am thinking of rounding up some extra funds and trying the Sundace Capri too Time and test will tell.

Hi. Any thoughts on the Sundance Capri? I know that you're are Marquis guy, but I'm interested in your opinion. It's more $$$, but I've always like the tub and am wet testing a friends this evening. If the Marquis with a bigger pump gives us the pressure we want it is still probably the tub for us, but at this point if I can get a "better" tub (I use this term loosely) for a bit extra maybe it's worth it....though, maybe not too...thx

Marquis and Sundance are both good spas. I used to work in a store that was a previous Sundance dealer, so I am very familiar with them. We would have 100s of customers come in that were Sundance owners. The biggest complaint I heard about Sundance was the cost to replace the filters. I'm not sure if it is different now, but they were using a 2 piece filter that required you to change one of the pieces every 2-3 months.

I have also heard from some friends of mine that sell spas on the traveling Sundance show team that the quality has been going downhill. Part of the Sundance spa is now being built in Mexico, and then they ship it to California for final assembly.

Marquis Spas is an employee owned company, and all of the workers at the plant have a vested interest in making sure the spas are of the highest quality possible. Each employee gets shares in Marquis stock based on how long they have been with the company.

It sounds like you liked the Spirit, but wanted a little bit more power. I think the pump upgrade will give you the big boost of power you're looking for. How much is your local dealer asking for the Spirit? And do you know what series of Spirit you are looking at?

Marquis and Sundance are both good spas. I used to work in a store that was a previous Sundance dealer, so I am very familiar with them. We would have 100s of customers come in that were Sundance owners. The biggest complaint I heard about Sundance was the cost to replace the filters. I'm not sure if it is different now, but they were using a 2 piece filter that required you to change one of the pieces every 2-3 months.

I have also heard from some friends of mine that sell spas on the traveling Sundance show team that the quality has been going downhill. Part of the Sundance spa is now being built in Mexico, and then they ship it to California for final assembly.

Marquis Spas is an employee owned company, and all of the workers at the plant have a vested interest in making sure the spas are of the highest quality possible. Each employee gets shares in Marquis stock based on how long they have been with the company.

It sounds like you liked the Spirit, but wanted a little bit more power. I think the pump upgrade will give you the big boost of power you're looking for. How much is your local dealer asking for the Spirit? And do you know what series of Spirit you are looking at?

Spirit Signature series. $5.6 with the pump upgrade. Good experience with both dealers I've talked to. Hopefully will have a chance to test the larger pump on Saturday.

Hi Lucy, Just to add my cents. I've had a Spirit for close to year now and I'm very happy it. I'm not sure if I have the upgraded pump but it it plenty strong enough for my wife and I. Very comfy for 2 I think three would be a bit crowded.

Great, thanks...I like to hear this kind of input Are you running 110 or 220?