Looking For A Smaller Spa

LucyMarin

I'm absolutely obsessing over spas right now and my biggest challenge is determining which brand/model to purchase. I'm looking for a 2-4 person spa, one that will fit through my 73 inch gate. I love the D1 Triad, but it's a bit more than I want to spend and maybe too deep for my 5' wife. Help, any suggestions? I'm wet testing the LA Spa Allure III and the Marquis Spirit (after spending 25 minutes on the line with the service manager at a LA/Marquis dealer, I'm leaning towards the Marquis). Jets and hydrotherapy are most important to me. a lounge is appealing too. I have a 6' claw foot tub already, and want this spa to be more about soothing my aching body and general relaxing vs. merely hot circulating water. Also looked at the new Calspa Escape, though have heard far too much negative press about these to pursue. Anyway, sorry for the long post. I would really appreciate input on the two spas I'm looking at and welcome all other feedback. It's been difficult finding good information on-line in this current obsessive pursuit. Thanks....

I haven't read through all the posts but why let the size of you gate determine the size of you spa?

If it's only the 73' gate that is restricting you on size, Id' step back and reconisder before i dropped some big $$ on a spa. My dealer included crane delivery with the install. I would talk wiht different dealers and see what they could do. Is it impossible to remove a section of the fence?

Worst case is they use a crane, thats $300. Sure, a nice chunk of change but when looking at spas costing several thousands of dollars, and will be sitting in your back yard for many many years, I'd think twice before I settled for a smaller tub,

Worst case is they use a crane, thats $300. Sure, a nice chunk of change but when looking at spas costing several thousands of dollars, and will be sitting in your back yard for many many years

Good point, we had our spa installed with a crane. It went smoothly and I am sure others on here will agree that it could even be easier than having to man handle the spa into place.

Worst case is they use a crane, thats $300. Sure, a nice chunk of change but when looking at spas costing several thousands of dollars, and will be sitting in your back yard for many many years

Good point, we had our spa installed with a crane. It went smoothly and I am sure others on here will agree that it could even be easier than having to man handle the spa into place.

Thanks for the thought. It's more than just the gate size. Our house is landlocked with no street access and no way to get a crane up there. Plus here in Nor Cal everything is far more expensive and crane would only help to break the budget. We also like the idea of a smaller spa as it fits are space perfectly and is really just for us vs. friends etc.

LucyMarin: You were wet testing a Spirit with the smaller pump that can run on 120v or 240v. There is an upgraded pump available called a MP160 that will definitely be what you're looking for. I'm surprised the salesperson didn't point this out. The upgraded pump only runs on 240v electric and it will give you an extra 40 gallons per minute of power. When we displayed a Spirit at the stores that I worked at, we always had it running with the larger MP160 pump. Another thing you can do to increase power is turning off the waterfalls, but I don't think this will be necessary if you get the upgraded pump.

Hi. Any thoughts on the Sundance Capri? I know that you're are Marquis guy, but I'm interested in your opinion. It's more $$$, but I've always like the tub and am wet testing a friends this evening. If the Marquis with a bigger pump gives us the pressure we want it is still probably the tub for us, but at this point if I can get a "better" tub (I use this term loosely) for a bit extra maybe it's worth it....though, maybe not too...thx

I LOVE my Capri ! I usually use it alone (so I get to put the full force of the jets where I'm sitting <g>) but it is a wonderful 2 person tub. I would think it a bit crowded for 3 but doable. The massage action is wonderful. You can use a regular filter rather than the 2 part if you want as that is what I am using on mine as did it's previous owner.

As a matter of fact ... I am heading out there right now! 20 degrees out ... but 101 in ! : ) Ahhhhhhhh...

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you end up with.

Hi Lucy, Just to add my cents. I've had a Spirit for close to year now and I'm very happy it. I'm not sure if I have the upgraded pump but it it plenty strong enough for my wife and I. Very comfy for 2 I think three would be a bit crowded.

Great, thanks...I like to hear this kind of input Are you running 110 or 220?

We're running 220. That's what we had wired for our old CalSpa that came with the house. If you have any questions feel free to ask. By the way I'm just a spa owner not part of the Spa business community.

Hello Lucymarin,

Just out of curiosity, have you wet tested the Triad II from D1 Spas. If you are looking to relax muscles, you have to check out the D1's prgramable massage sequencer control...! for the selection of 6 different modes and is also variable speed, it is a great experience. I would definitely not rule this spa out, I would suggest talking to the dealer and see what kind of deal they can make. FOr what the Triad II provides, it is definitely worth a conversation with the dealer. That of course it just my opinion and I do work for the company ( is that a great disclaimer or what?)

I'm absolutely obsessing over spas right now and my biggest challenge is determining which brand/model to purchase. I'm looking for a 2-4 person spa, one that will fit through my 73 inch gate. I love the D1 Triad, but it's a bit more than I want to spend and maybe too deep for my 5' wife. Help, any suggestions? I'm wet testing the LA Spa Allure III and the Marquis Spirit (after spending 25 minutes on the line with the service manager at a LA/Marquis dealer, I'm leaning towards the Marquis). Jets and hydrotherapy are most important to me. a lounge is appealing too. I have a 6' claw foot tub already, and want this spa to be more about soothing my aching body and general relaxing vs. merely hot circulating water. Also looked at the new Calspa Escape, though have heard far too much negative press about these to pursue. Anyway, sorry for the long post. I would really appreciate input on the two spas I'm looking at and welcome all other feedback. It's been difficult finding good information on-line in this current obsessive pursuit. Thanks....

Hello Lucymarin,

Just out of curiosity, have you wet tested the Triad II from D1 Spas. If you are looking to relax muscles, you have to check out the D1's prgramable massage sequencer control...! for the selection of 6 different modes and is also variable speed, it is a great experience. I would definitely not rule this spa out, I would suggest talking to the dealer and see what kind of deal they can make. FOr what the Triad II provides, it is definitely worth a conversation with the dealer. That of course it just my opinion and I do work for the company ( is that a great disclaimer or what?)

Thanks for the disclaimer. I do like the Triad II, but it's beyond what we want to spend and the dealer(s) are not willing / able to meet our price point. It's a very nice tub.

That's a good price on the spa. The Signature series is the way to go. At the store I worked at, that spa would be priced around $6500 or so.

Final wet test and decision coming Saturday morning. It's between the Spirit and the Capri, with the Capri having now entered as a (very) dark horse candidate (might look at the Jetsetter too). I'm high on the Spirit assuming that the larger pump gives us the pressure we require......my electrician too offered his unsolicited opinion on Marquis...essentially calling it the cadillac of spas. I don't yet have such a opinion, but it was good to get his thoughts. As for the "bad" news, my electrical run is topping out at just under $1,400. Very long run and poor access to the panel. It is what it is...though, it sure hurts a bit as these $$$ would have been better spent on the spa. Maybe I'll be able to shave a few dollars off of the price or dig up some other perks. Oh well.

That's a good price on the spa. The Signature series is the way to go. At the store I worked at, that spa would be priced around $6500 or so.

Final wet test and decision coming Saturday morning. It's between the Spirit and the Capri, with the Capri having now entered as a (very) dark horse candidate (might look at the Jetsetter too). I'm high on the Spirit assuming that the larger pump gives us the pressure we require......my electrician too offered his unsolicited opinion on Marquis...essentially calling it the cadillac of spas. I don't yet have such a opinion, but it was good to get his thoughts. As for the "bad" news, my electrical run is topping out at just under $1,400. Very long run and poor access to the panel. It is what it is...though, it sure hurts a bit as these $$$ would have been better spent on the spa. Maybe I'll be able to shave a few dollars off of the price or dig up some other perks. Oh well.

I would wet test the Jetsetter before making a final decision.

Final wet test and decision coming Saturday morning. It's between the Spirit and the Capri, with the Capri having now entered as a (very) dark horse candidate (might look at the Jetsetter too).

You'll hear very good comments about all 3 of those spa makers so you can relax and let the wet tests help you decide. Try to go into the wet tests totally open because soooo many times people go in with certain expectations only to realize that looks, sales presentations and dry tests don't always tell the story. It's also best, whenever possible, to wet test all options the same day or at least the same weekend so your memory is fresh to make comparisons.

Hi. Final wet test on the spirit and Allure today and we're sold on the Spirit. Purchasing this weekend, though I do have one concern. We're placing the spa beneath our pergola on top of 1+ inch flagstone patio. The location funnels to a drain 12 inches past the end of the tub and the spot itself where the spa is going has less than a one inch left to right pitch over 9-10 feet for drainage to the perimeter of the yard.

I placed 2x4's across the patio and did have solid contact in most all spots, though there may be a spot or two with a very minimal 1 mm gap etc over a small area. The service manager at the dealer said this was something that can be mitigated during installation using sand or full length shims (or nothing to worry about, but he would have to see it to determine the best action). Reading the owners manual it says not to do such a thing and that the location should of course be perfectly level. What kind of leeway do I have in installation and should I be concerned with the situation that I explained (tried to at least)? Thanks in advance for your input.