Arctic Vs. Marquis

I have narrowed down my choices to arctic spas and marquis! I know they are very different as to layout and seating preferences! Just wanted to get some feedback based on cost to run, therapy, problems etc....I live on Long Island, NY...electric is very expensive here! I plan on running the tub all year long.... Thanks for your help!

I have narrowed down my choices to arctic spas and marquis! I know they are very different as to layout and seating preferences! Just wanted to get some feedback based on cost to run, therapy, problems etc....I live on Long Island, NY...electric is very expensive here! I plan on running the tub all year long.... Thanks for your help!

There won't be a noticable difference in operating cost between those 2. Which one is more comfortable on your back side? Which dealer fed you less BS (sales retoric) Which dealer are you more comfortable with? Which brand did you feel you were getting the best buy from?

There won't be a noticable difference in operating cost between those 2. Which one is more comfortable on your back side? Which dealer fed you less BS (sales retoric) Which dealer are you more comfortable with? Which brand did you feel you were getting the best buy from?

I can get a much better price with the marquis dealer! The arctic dealer won't budge on his price....

I can get a much better price with the marquis dealer! The arctic dealer won't budge on his price....

i wet tested a artic klondiker and tundra, i liked the tundra better as the lounges just let me and the family float around.i did like having all the extras on it like lights ,steps.etc

the tundra had lots of room and the sales people were nice.yes they really didnt budge on price either.but others dont unless they are giving you something in exchange.

i found marquis a different design and a little cheaper but not sure if if its worth going for a cheaper tub or not.

It's usually true that a higher priced spa is going to be of higher quality than a lower priced unit, but not always, as in this case. Your local Arctic dealer could have a higher mark up than the Marquis dealer, or maybe you're not comparing similarly equipped spas. Both of these brands are considered to among the best and you'll probably be happy with either one. Some would argue that Marquis has a better reputation because of the time they have been in the industry as compared to Arctic (30 years vs 15 years), so I would definitely not say it's a "cheaper" tub.

What Marquis models are you looking at?

It's usually true that a higher priced spa is going to be of higher quality than a lower priced unit, but not always, as in this case. Your local Arctic dealer could have a higher mark up than the Marquis dealer, or maybe you're not comparing similarly equipped spas. Both of these brands are considered to among the best and you'll probably be happy with either one. Some would argue that Marquis has a better reputation because of the time they have been in the industry as compared to Arctic (30 years vs 15 years), so I would definitely not say it's a "cheaper" tub.

I am looking at the Marquis Epic and the Arctic Summit and tundra....

I am looking at the Marquis Epic and the Arctic Summit and tundra....

Go with whichever spa you TRULY want after having researched them unless it's a close call and the price difference is enough to matter. They should have similar costs to run so that shouldn't matter much. The one thing about the Epic that I've always wondered about was the fact that for a large footprint spa, 7'6" square, its only 35" deep (per Marquis' website) which is shallower than any spa I've seen that size (whereas the Arctics are 38+") but unless you're a notceably tall person that really shouldn't matter and hopefully you've wet tested each of these that you're looking at anyway.

captchaos: The Epic is an awesome tub, and the #1 seller for Marquis worldwide. There are several people on the board that have this spa. What is the price of the Epic, and how much are you saving vs. the Arctic?

spatech: There are a lot of companies that have 38"+ spas, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily deeper. Marquis has always had a 35.5" height to make entry in to the spa easier, and you also sit a tad bit lower to the ground in most seats in a Marquis. Unless you are 6'5" +, practically every seat in the Epic should fit you fine.

captchaos: The Epic is an awesome tub, and the #1 seller for Marquis worldwide. There are several people on the board that have this spa. What is the price of the Epic, and how much are you saving vs. the Arctic?

spatech: There are a lot of companies that have 38"+ spas, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily deeper. Marquis has always had a 35.5" height to make entry in to the spa easier, and you also sit a tad bit lower to the ground in most seats in a Marquis. Unless you are 6'5" +, practically every seat in the Epic should fit you fine.

I have been quoted $7800 for the Epic and $9500 for the Tundra.....wet tested both and like them equally...the one thing I love about the arctic is the big blaster jet at the bottom of the tub!

Not sure about the price of the Arctic, but $7,800 is a steal on the Epic. The store I work at charges $11,295. I don't know how they can sell it for that cheap.

There are 4 HK40 foot jets in the deep therapy seat on the Epic that feel really nice, but depending on how the Tri-Zone therapy controls were positioned, you might not have felt them. If the Tri-Zone control is positioned right, you can have a whole 160 gallon per minute pump blasting your feet.

I also live on Long Island and purchased a Klondiker this year. Send me a private message and we can talk.

I am an Arctic Spa owner and I would not recommend them. I have had many problems, jets, covers, motors, leaks, service. I don't have time to describe them all today, but I will share my experience another time if you like.

Paul

I also live on Long Island and purchased a Klondiker this year. Send me a private message and we can talk.

I am an Arctic Spa owner and I would not recommend them. I have had many problems, jets, covers, motors, leaks, service. I don't have time to describe them all today, but I will share my experience another time if you like.

Paul

Paul are you in Minnesota? (paul MN)

Have you discussed your problems with Tom our esteemed moderator here? He may be able to get you more help than your currently getting.

Paul

Have you discussed your problems with Tom our esteemed moderator here? He may be able to get you more help than your currently getting.

I am in MN.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have talked to Tom. Tom has apologized twice. I talked with him yesterday and he asked me if the dealer was working with me on the problem. I'm no customer service expert, but shouldn't he be calling the dealer to see what they can do to solve the problem, not asking me if I'm working on solving the problem?

The truth of the matter is: I bought a Summit Ultra and waited about two weeks for delivery so the dealer could "prep it". It leaked within three days of delivery. I fixed it myself, -3 degrees in Feb.. Two connections I was able to tighten with my hands. The first or second time I climbed on top of the cover to clean it, it caved in. My neighbors say "I have the most expensive birdbath in MN". Again, I fixed it, I flipped the cover over and jumped up and down on it, it's better now. This was during the first winter/spring. These problems were annoying but I never complained, in fact I enjoyed the tub with many friends and neighbors. I actually referred a friend to them. He is on his third control panel in his Coyote. I've made countless trips back and forth to the dealer for jets. I paid extra for maintenance free siding and as soon as it needed maintenance, I got to pay extra again. The tub was replaced and I got to pay delivery and set up again. I didn't really want a replacement, but when you have to replace the jets on the one you have all the time, what are you gonna do? I was hoping I would not have to deal with the jet problem anymore. The replacement tub has blown the GFCI since Oct. when it was installed. The dealer has been out 6 times to fix this problem. I feel the replacement is a lemon. If this was an automobile, I think I'd be getting my money back under the lemon law. Needless to say I haven't had a good experience with Arctic Spa and would not recommend them to anyone.

I know I sound bitter, but it's been very disappointing to say the least. When was the last time you spent this kind of money and had this much trouble with something?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Paul in MN (The absolutely harshest climate on earth)

Paul

I am in MN.

I have talked to Tom. Tom has apologized twice. I talked with him yesterday and he asked me if the dealer was working with me on the problem. I'm no customer service expert, but shouldn't he be calling the dealer to see what they can do to solve the problem, not asking me if I'm working on solving the problem?

The truth of the matter is: I bought a Summit Ultra and waited about two weeks for delivery so the dealer could "prep it". It leaked within three days of delivery. I fixed it myself, -3 degrees in Feb.. Two connections I was able to tighten with my hands. The first or second time I climbed on top of the cover to clean it, it caved in. My neighbors say "I have the most expensive birdbath in MN". Again, I fixed it, I flipped the cover over and jumped up and down on it, it's better now. This was during the first winter/spring. These problems were annoying but I never complained, in fact I enjoyed the tub with many friends and neighbors. I actually referred a friend to them. He is on his third control panel in his Coyote. I've made countless trips back and forth to the dealer for jets. I paid extra for maintenance free siding and as soon as it needed maintenance, I got to pay extra again. The tub was replaced and I got to pay delivery and set up again. I didn't really want a replacement, but when you have to replace the jets on the one you have all the time, what are you gonna do? I was hoping I would not have to deal with the jet problem anymore. The replacement tub has blown the GFCI since Oct. when it was installed. The dealer has been out 6 times to fix this problem. I feel the replacement is a lemon. If this was an automobile, I think I'd be getting my money back under the lemon law. Needless to say I haven't had a good experience with Arctic Spa and would not recommend them to anyone.

I know I sound bitter, but it's been very disappointing to say the least. When was the last time you spent this kind of money and had this much trouble with something?

I am in Northern Minnesota and have not seen many Arctics up here. You must be down south in the Mpls/StPaul area. I have a friend who moved north a few years back and I helped him bring his Arctic with him. His was mediocre but it was a few years old at that time. He still has it. And I have seen a couple other newer ones. They are making progress to quality but I still feel they are overpriced. I wish I was closer I now live in Sturgeon Lake. I could give you a hand diognosing your trouble for a beer or 2 and a soak.

Paul

I am in MN.

I am in Northern Minnesota and have not seen many Arctics up here. You must be down south in the Mpls/StPaul area. I have a friend who moved north a few years back and I helped him bring his Arctic with him. His was mediocre but it was a few years old at that time. He still has it. And I have seen a couple other newer ones. They are making progress to quality but I still feel they are overpriced. I wish I was closer I now live in Sturgeon Lake. I could give you a hand diognosing your trouble for a beer or 2 and a soak.

i always thought that artic was suppose to be the 'best' for cold climates.seems like you did get a lemon,how unfortunate,as i have wet tested them and are very nice.sure hope you can get it straightened up so you can enjoy your purchase.

i always thought that artic was suppose to be the 'best' for cold climates.seems like you did get a lemon,how unfortunate,as i have wet tested them and are very nice.sure hope you can get it straightened up so you can enjoy your purchase.

Who told you they were the "best" for cold climate? A sales man?

Hello Captchaos.

Might be too late to jump in on this. In April I bought my first ever spa after spending a few months on here and checking out a lot of local dealers. I ended up with a very good deal on a Marquis Silver Anniversary Euphoria (it was brand new, although it had been sitting in the warehouse for 3-4 years).

I am 6' and very beefy, I can fit fine into all of the seats with the one exception of the higher seat next too the filters that has the neck jets. I can fit in the seat if I slide forward a bit (due to the neck jets only). That is a minor thing considering there are 6 other seats where I fit just fine.

Being a little bit older it doesn't have LED lights, though that is really only an extra. I have not had any problems with it so far.

I have had 1 full months electric bill since turning the spa on (second one is due in another week). I have it on the standard settings and keep it at 100. I am in TX so it won't have to heat quite as much here as for you. My first bill with the spa was only $20.00 more than the previous month. I did also use the A/C a few days on this new bill. For me, so far the impact on the electric bill has not been very much.

Good luck with your selection.

Dale

Paul

I am in MN.

I am in Mpls/StPaul. What brand do you have? Would you have any suggestions on what might be wrong with my spa?

• 1 month later...

I was told by the Marquis dealer yesterday that the Arctic tub would run $80.00 + a month in our area because of how they construct their spas. I live in the lower Midwest. Am I being feed a line of bull. I feel that the two brands are built very close in quality. I have been looking at spas for a year now and ready to buy. Survey says.

I was told by the Marquis dealer yesterday that the Arctic tub would run $80.00 + a month in our area because of how they construct their spas. I live in the lower Midwest. Am I being feed a line of bull. I feel that the two brands are built very close in quality. I have been looking at spas for a year now and ready to buy. Survey says.

I will preface this by saying that I own and operate a Arctic Store in the Midwest, so you will have to take what I say with that in consideration, but no way will the Arctic spa cost you 80 dollars a month to operate. We have been selling the Arctic brand for over ten years and would know if that was the case. My personal spa that sits outside and runs year round costs me 10-15 dollars a month. Ill also add that I use it every evening. It sounds like that dealer is feeding you a line of bull if thats what he said.

Nice sales pitch! My Arctic Tundra uses about 6kWh. This is from my current electric bill, which tells how much last years average vs this years average for July. I got the tub in August.

I think you're reading your electric bill incorrectly, or you have made a typo when you typed your claim of 6kWh per month. That's not quite possible.

http://www.hotspring.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_...efficiency.html

If you check out the link above, you'll see that even a Hot Spring Spa (which many, many folks will agree is a very efficient hot tub) uses 117kWh a month with an ambient temperature of 75F. This is based on Hot Spring's Sovereign model. If a spa like that uses 117kWh in Miami, FL @ 75F, there's no way anything could use as little as 6kWh a month unless the only thing in the hot tub using any power were the lights.

At 6kWh your spa would cost you $0.48 a month to operate if the electric company charged you $0.08 per kWh.

My guess is you simply misunderstood the abbreviations for power use terms like kWh. :) But rest assured, your spa uses many more than 6kWh.

To put this into perspective, my entire house from June to July (1 month) used 928kWh without an air conditioner or furnace running.

12kWh last July, 18kWh this July. Only difference, no hot tub last year. Stay tuned for next month and I'll post again. I bet is will read identical to Aug 2008.

Last year versus this year has absolutly no bearing on how much your tub cost to operate. The jet pump only has to run for about 3 hours to consume 6 KW so unless your shutting it off for the balance of the month that calculation is way off. Meter your tub and you will know otherwise you have no idea. My flouresent garage lights use more than 18KWH per month. My little 800SF lake house uses 1000KWH per month and there's nothing running.

Figure somewheres around 20-30 bucks a month for any quality tub on the market today. No matter what any salesman or owner says.