Arctic Spa Repairs?

Budge

My Arctic Spa is only seven months old and I am on my third issue since delivery (July 2008). My problems so far are as follows:

-"FLO" error

-Pump 1 replaced (it would not start on speed 1, speed 2 worked, but speed 1 would hum for a few seconds and then turn off)

-The Onzen system stopped producing sanitizer (no more smokey streak from the onzen jet in the footwell), the service tech was supposed to be here today, but they cancelled late this afternoon and have rescheduled for Monday.

The service department also charges a $95.00 trip fee for each service call, even though the tub has a 5 year warranty on most components, and 1 year inclusive within the first year. Yes, it's in the fine print of the warranty, the trip charge is not included in the warranty. Consumers like myself who paid $16,000 for a hot tub (Summit Legend with Onzen), get slapped with a $95.00 trip charge. Listen up Arctic, build the trip charge into your sale price! This is just bad post sales service that leaves a negative impression, that consumers like myself feel taken advantage of. It's to bad that Arctic didn't spend as much time and effort with Onzen Manual as they did covering there corporate behinds with the fine print in the warranty.

But enough with my rant <_<

What I want to know from other Arctic Spa owners are what problems have you having with your tubs 2008 or newer? 2008 is when they made changes to there tubs (Onzen, Neck Jets, Shell modification, etc.).

Thanks,

Budge

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Arctic Spa is only seven months old and I am on my third issue since delivery (July 2008). My problems so far are as follows:

-"FLO" error

-Pump 1 replaced (it would not start on speed 1, speed 2 worked, but speed 1 would hum for a few seconds and then turn off)

-The Onzen system stopped producing sanitizer (no more smokey streak from the onzen jet in the footwell), the service tech was supposed to be here today, but they cancelled late this afternoon and have rescheduled for Monday.

The service department also charges a $95.00 trip fee for each service call, even though the tub has a 5 year warranty on most components, and 1 year inclusive within the first year. Yes, it's in the fine print of the warranty, the trip charge is not included in the warranty. Consumers like myself who paid $16,000 for a hot tub (Summit Legend with Onzen), get slapped with a $95.00 trip charge. Listen up Arctic, build the trip charge into your sale price! This is just bad post sales service that leaves a negative impression, that consumers like myself feel taken advantage of. It's to bad that Arctic didn't spend as much time and effort with Onzen Manual as they did covering there corporate behinds with the fine print in the warranty.

What I want to know from other Arctic Spa owners are what problems have you having with your tubs 2008 or newer? 2008 is when they made changes to there tubs (Onzen, Neck Jets, Shell modification, etc.).

Thanks,

Budge

You payed 16 G's for an Arctic????? Must be canadian or something huh? Did you visit any forums or talk to any other dealers before you purchased?

Hey Budge, where do you live because the trip charge here in southern On. is 40 dollars, and I had the same pump issue with my old Coyote tub and on the 3rd visit they replaced the pump as well. My Summit is doing the same thing with no cloud coming out behind the little bubble and I'm being told that is normal because the water is some what clear and the inside of the shell is not getting the slippery feel from bio film. I've done 2 half water dumps in 7 months to bring the salt levels down and it seems a little clearer. Did your pump start to get a little nosier than normal before it crapped out because mine is a little louder than when it was new? I agree with the you about the trip fee, because when you are shopping for the tub the sales staff rave about the warranty but forget to mention the fee.

Keep updating!!

Pete

You payed 16 G's for an Arctic????? Must be canadian or something huh? Did you visit any forums or talk to any other dealers before you purchased?

Yes, I am Candian. I went to three different Arctic dealers and 1 Beachcomber dealer prior to purchasing. Arctic came recommended by a family member who has one.

The price (as per invoice) for our tub includes for those that are wondering:

-Summit Legend

-Originally ordered with Peak Ozone and a Genesis Salt system, however Arctic switched early last year to there own Salt System and "new" Onzen system

-5-1/2" Cover

-Microban Antibacterial Finish

-Bromine Starter Kit

-Forever Floor

-Tru-Guard Heater

-Northern Lights

-Cover Mate Cover Lifter

-Delivery & Set-up

-50 amp Siemen's GFCI w/outdoor pony panel

-36" 2 Tier Cedar Steps

-Louver door (yet to be delivered)

-2 Arctic Robes (yet to be delivered)

-Exotic Stainless Steel Jet Package (the tub came with the standard jets & the dealer had to get the S.S. ones after the fact, I hvae them but have not put them in because of the potential rust issue)

Total after taxes (13%) was $16,500 Canadian (January 12, 2008)

Cheers,

Budge

Budge

Hey Budge, where do you live because the trip charge here in southern On. is 40 dollars, and I had the same pump issue with my old Coyote tub and on the 3rd visit they replaced the pump as well. My Summit is doing the same thing with no cloud coming out behind the little bubble and I'm being told that is normal because the water is some what clear and the inside of the shell is not getting the slippery feel from bio film. I've done 2 half water dumps in 7 months to bring the salt levels down and it seems a little clearer. Did your pump start to get a little nosier than normal before it crapped out because mine is a little louder than when it was new? I agree with the you about the trip fee, because when you are shopping for the tub the sales staff rave about the warranty but forget to mention the fee.

Keep updating!!

Pete

Pete,

Yes I am in souther Ontario, Orangeville area as a matter of fact. I went to the Mississauga and Kitchener store prior to purchasing in Orangeville. We could have gotten our tub a little cheaper but at the tiume we thought that the few extra dealers would be well spent from a service point of view, by purchasing locally. Boy were we wrong! We have had problems from the time we gave our deposit and now the Dealer is out of business.

For us that means we are dealing with the Kitchener store. We should have purchased our tub from them in the first place as we have always been treated great there. In fact prior to our local dealer closing we were going there anyway for chemicals and wtaer tests! Jessica and the other staff at the store have been a pleasure to do business with.

Both of our service calls gave been completed by the Oakville Arctic Spa's group. It turns out they own locations in Mississauga, Oakville, Kitchener, Barrie and I think two others towns as well. In any case they charge us a $95.00 trip fee. As a consumer who bought a tub with a 5 year parts and labour warranty I feel that this is a royal rip off. On my bill of sale the warranty clearly states a 5 year parts and labour warranty. No mention of the trip fee on my purchase agreement, just the fact that the tub has a 5 year parts and labour warranty. However, in the official warranty statment I think they cover themselves as it relates to the trip fee. Albeit a little misleading they need tp put the trip fee exclusion on the purchase agreement to be fair and up front with consumers. It's the right thing to do Arctic!

In any case to answer your question, no I didn't notice that the pump got louder prior to being replaced. Regarding your cloud from the Onzen footwell jet, what are you sanitizer levels? Your tub is some what clear???? It should be crystal clear when no pumps are running. Bio-film not sure about bio film , nor do I want to know.

My expectation (and I assume yours) is that the water should be crystal clear (and ours is when we have sufficient sanitizer), end of story. I wouldn't buy the bio film and this is normal statement. What I can tell you is that when the Onzen system was working my water was clear and I could see the smoky water being released out of the Onzen footwell jet. Not the case with our tub at the moment, as a result are santizer level is zero. To stop our tub from becoming cloudy we have stopped using it and I have shocked it with "Refresh" to prevent bacterial growth. Can't wait for this issue to be fixed as I can feel the tension in my shoulders as I type this out!

Regarding getting your salt levels down how many parts per million do you have? Salt levels shouldn't fluctaute very much, with the exception of water loss from dripping suits, and you adding more water to compensate. Remember the system does not make salt.

Budge

-"FLO" error

Thanks,

Budge

-"FLO" error

Thanks,

Budge

Hello Budge, I also purchased a Arctic spa ,in Apr. 2007, Klondike Legend paid $18,000, I have had all kinds of problems with my tub,the onzen didn't work for about the first year and a half , I've had the salt water generator replaced twice and then to find out that a new system had to be approved by Pioneer , The cutting of pipes so that the water flowed better around the salt water system prongs( not sure what they call them). My water would turn yellow and smell even after refilling it, in about 3 to 4 days with out anyone even using it, another service call , did nothing, I am so fet up that I could just scream, I now have billions of small flake like particles floating in it , I have run this tub now for 2 years and haven't had any stress free times in it, I have just sent an e-mail with pictures to Arctic spa. I guess I will have to show them at the next home show ... I wish I had never purchased this tub , very disappointed in it and had expected so much more from an Arctic spa, I was told they were the top of the line LOL. I have a 10 year warranty , I guess they have seven and a half years left to fix it.. <_< Thanks Erica

Hey Budge, yes I'm dealing with the same clowns at the Oakville Group for service and my dealer is in Hamilton because we live in Paris. I got new info that when the tub was delivered they put way to much salt in the tub as per the instructions on the tub of salt, which makes the PH rise to fast and I had to put a ton of PH down in the tub and this causes foam and the water to turn a slight greenish color. This all started when I wasn't getting the cloud and I called the Onzen hot line and was told that the electrodes needed to be replaced by them, but the dealer said that that isn't true and the service dept. said call when the water turns cloudy, but I don't want to call and have a tech. come out because if he says the system is fine then the 40 dollar trip charge then turns into a 95 dollar labor charge ( another story for later ). So who the F$$K is giving the right info. let me know what you find out from the tech when he comes out to check your system. I've received a e-mail from a another Arctic owner in London with the same issues so I will relay the info to him as well.

Take care,

Pete :D:D

Total after taxes (13%) was $16,500 Canadian (January 12, 2008)

Cheers,

Budge

Budge

If they delivered your tub then there is no way they should be charging PST. In Ontario 2006 legislation came in that made Hot tubs "Real Property" which makes it exempt from a dealer charging PST. The dealer has to pay the PST for the tub on the dealer landed cost. Nowhere on your sales contract or invoices is that 8% or combined 13% to be shown. On what you described you purchased 13% can only be charged on your chems & step. The breaker becomes part of the tub and so does the lifter when attached during the installation. So my advice is to look closely at your bill.

Hey Budge, yes I'm dealing with the same clowns at the Oakville Group for service and my dealer is in Hamilton because we live in Paris. I got new info that when the tub was delivered they put way to much salt in the tub as per the instructions on the tub of salt, which makes the PH rise to fast and I had to put a ton of PH down in the tub and this causes foam and the water to turn a slight greenish color. This all started when I wasn't getting the cloud and I called the Onzen hot line and was told that the electrodes needed to be replaced by them, but the dealer said that that isn't true and the service dept. said call when the water turns cloudy, but I don't want to call and have a tech. come out because if he says the system is fine then the 40 dollar trip charge then turns into a 95 dollar labor charge ( another story for later ). So who the F$$K is giving the right info. let me know what you find out from the tech when he comes out to check your system. I've received a e-mail from a another Arctic owner in London with the same issues so I will relay the info to him as well.

Take care,

Pete :D:D

Pete,

I want you and everyone else to know that my first service call ("FLO" error and Pump replacement) was completed by the Oakville Group and I was satisfied with the service. In fact I was not home when it was completed but they left me a note on our front door indicating that they had been there and that the service was completed. The issues ("FLO" & Pump) that they resloved at the time have not been a problem since the repair. Now I am having a different issue, no sanitizer production, which is no fault of the Oakville group

I have been pleased with the service performed by the Oakville Group and in fact I can recommend them to others, based on the first service call. I am hoping the cancellation on Friday was due to an illness or scheduling error, and was a one time occurence.

I will keep you posted on the repairs to our tub

Cheers,

Budge

Bought my Tundra LE with Genesis salt water system (no Onzen) back in October. Paid $15000 but did not have to pay taxes at all on tub because I have aboriginal status (found that out 2 years ago!).

About 1 week after installation, one of the diverters started making a weird suction sound. Called the dealer and as it wasn't an emergency, they booked me 3 days later. The repair man came in while I was at work and fixed the problem. Total cost of repair (including travel charges) ???? $ 0.00.

My dealer is about 40 KM away and never charged me for the service call. Not sure what would happen if I required another service call but..... kudos to the Ottawa store. My tub has been low maintenance and worry free from the start and we use it on a daily basis.

Couldn't be happier !

If they delivered your tub then there is no way they should be charging PST. In Ontario 2006 legislation came in that made Hot tubs "Real Property" which makes it exempt from a dealer charging PST. The dealer has to pay the PST for the tub on the dealer landed cost. Nowhere on your sales contract or invoices is that 8% or combined 13% to be shown. On what you described you purchased 13% can only be charged on your chems & step. The breaker becomes part of the tub and so does the lifter when attached during the installation. So my advice is to look closely at your bill.

Pathfinder,

You are correct! My wife who is working on here accounting designation made that point to me at the time of purchase. I will look at the bill to be sure but in any case we paid $16,500 for our tub. I am not here complain about the price, as we agreed to the purchase price and I think it was a fair deal for both us and our dealer. I posted the details for others to see, so that they would have a point of reference when working out there own deal.

We are however unhappy that we have had so mamy issues in such a short time.

Budge

Just purchased a new 2009 Arctic. The company made many improvements concerning the FLO errors. They changed pump bearing, impeller fins, motor capicators , and water intake

I also asked my dealer about a trip fee and they stated that none was charged

Othe improvements were done to the deluxe northern light package and the headrests

My dealer also recommended the ECOSMARTE system instead of the salt system, hopefully this will work well

will update when I receive the tub.

We bought a Frontier last August from the Kitchener store.

We've had the same issues with FLO and no sanitizer. Steelerpete force the issue. Last fall I spoke to Len at Arctic and he said it was either a switch in the pump or the pump. Paid the $40 and had the switched changed out. Still got the FLO error so thought I'd wait to get it fixed properly due to the crap weather. Well turns out you only get two weeks to have it fixed or there's another trip charge.

Anyway, service guy came out again, swapped out the pump. I asked him to check the Onzen because I didn't think it was working right (no bubbles or sanitizer levels.) Sure enough the electrode was eaten away so he replaced that too. Now I'm wondering why it eroded in just six months and is this going to happen again?

Also turns out that my Ozone hasn't been working so he'll be here tomorrow to change the injector. This I never new until one day I was in the store and saw their Ozone working, so mine has NEVER worked. So much for the delivery and inspection!

As to salt level. Well when I first started up the tub 7lbs of salt. Now 3cups (about 2lbs.) Come on....

So other than my pH rising daily tubs is working well.

Would I buy an Arctic again? Dunno really. I don't think any tub in this class is any better than another, comes down to personal preference I guess.

Would I buy or recommend the Oakville Group. Nope! Service tech's are awesome, people in the stores are good. Central service 800 number people were condescending ^&*&&%^'s. I do have to admit though apparently lately there have been some personnel changes and they seem to be a bit better but for the money we pay for these tubs, trip charges and poor customer relations I wouldn't do it again.

I really don't like the Group idea, I'd prefer to deal with a single store and the same people. I hate 800 number businesses and unfortunately I got sold on one of them, now I have to live with it.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the flo and pump error and replacement same as you on my Tundra LE. Had it on the second day after the install. My local Edmonton guys came out and fixed it (as well as some other concerns over the following weeks) all with no charge.

• 5 months later...

Are you positive this applies to just delivery? When I read the document on the Ontario Government website it sound more like you need to retailer to also do the electrical work too, not just drop off and set the tub up (hook it to existing electrical).

We had the Onzen retro-fit (drain tub, replace parts, move electrode etc.) completed at the end of August and by Labor Day weekend (7-10 days)it was not functioning. No mist and no bubbles from the cover in the foot well. The tech is coming out on tuesday to repair again! For those wondering this is the 4th time in 14 months that our Onzen system has failed to produce santizer, no mist.

Budge

• 4 weeks later...
We had the Onzen retro-fit (drain tub, replace parts, move electrode etc.) completed at the end of August and by Labor Day weekend (7-10 days)it was not functioning. No mist and no bubbles from the cover in the foot well. The tech is coming out on tuesday to repair again! For those wondering this is the 4th time in 14 months that our Onzen system has failed to produce santizer, no mist.

Budge

Hey Budge,

I am sorry for the troubles you have been having with the onzen system in your spa. I am with the factory and if you can message me directly I would like to see if I can help.

James

Hello Budge, I also purchased a Arctic spa ,in Apr. 2007, Klondike Legend paid $18,000, I have had all kinds of problems with my tub,the onzen didn't work for about the first year and a half , I've had the salt water generator replaced twice and then to find out that a new system had to be approved by Pioneer , The cutting of pipes so that the water flowed better around the salt water system prongs( not sure what they call them). My water would turn yellow and smell even after refilling it, in about 3 to 4 days with out anyone even using it, another service call , did nothing, I am so fet up that I could just scream, I now have billions of small flake like particles floating in it , I have run this tub now for 2 years and haven't had any stress free times in it, I have just sent an e-mail with pictures to Arctic spa. I guess I will have to show them at the next home show ... I wish I had never purchased this tub , very disappointed in it and had expected so much more from an Arctic spa, I was told they were the top of the line LOL. I have a 10 year warranty , I guess they have seven and a half years left to fix it.. <_< Thanks Erica

Hi Erica,

I am sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your spa. I am with the factory and would be happy to dig into the history and see what I can do to support you. I am certain I have some water chemistry suggestions that will help. If you can message me, I would be happy to see what I can do to help.

Kind regards,

James

I am sorry to hear about the problems you have had with your spa. I am with the factory and would be happy to dig into the history and see what I can do to support you. I am certain I have some water chemistry suggestions that will help. If you can message me, I would be happy to see what I can do to help.

Kind regards,

James

James,

I am not going to get into what the troubles I had with my summit, you can probaly check my thread history to see what the issues were.

Anyways, after my onzen retrofit (working fine) was replaced it seems like my water is not clear and everything is in check with my tests, and also my Barrie Arctic store. They actually said your water is in perfect condition.

So I would love to hear your water chemistry suggestions to get my water clear. My store said to empty the tub (How many times do I have to do this!) including shop vacuuming through my jets. Why must I do this if my drain is the lowest point of my tub?

Anyways, I am glad you are with us here James and looking forward to hear from you. :D

James,

I am not going to get into what the troubles I had with my summit, you can probaly check my thread history to see what the issues were.

Anyways, after my onzen retrofit (working fine) was replaced it seems like my water is not clear and everything is in check with my tests, and also my Barrie Arctic store. They actually said your water is in perfect condition.

So I would love to hear your water chemistry suggestions to get my water clear. My store said to empty the tub (How many times do I have to do this!) including shop vacuuming through my jets. Why must I do this if my drain is the lowest point of my tub?

Anyways, I am glad you are with us here James and looking forward to hear from you. :D

Hey Tonsoffun,

I am going to PM you with my phone number. If you can call me I think it will be easier to troubleshoot if I can talk with you directly.

Kind regards,

James

Utterly frustrated with ARCTIC!!!!!

I like many in this post have HAD it!!!!

I bought my 15,000 hot tub last year from Arctic...we did our research and determined that Arctic was one of the best in quality and service...boy were we wrong!

We had the FLO message right from the start...that got fixed and we were initially impressed with the quick service to get that done. But the message came back and another service call had to be made to clear the FLO message and replace pump 1 again.

So that is the least of my issues

Onzen and sanitization has been unacceptable to say the least.

I have had probably 3-4 service calls to replace, retro fit, re-plum my hot tub.

Once again we had the retro kit done about 5-6wks ago now...but hey guess what, no more smoke...WTF!!!! No bromine reading anymore...water is now cloudy...this sucks!!!

Arctic if you are listening you have a extremely frustrated customer. I've emailed every one i possibly could a while back and had the retro done quickly because of my stink but now...i'm pissed!

BTW...service folks in Oakville the number we dial for help...brutal! some girl answers and repeats everything to the service manager, you all know his name, and he gives her a possible solution to which i can hear the conversation and already have my answer for them before she finished talking....let me talk to him or is he not into dealing with customers who are experiencing issues!

Another BTW...the guy they send out for service calls...he's AMAZING!!!

If anyone from Arctic is reading...you may want to keep your customers happy...there will be no repeat business and hell no to referrals...that is not good for Arctic.

OK done my rant...will give it to the sales folks tomorrow in the KW store when i get my water tested.

Utterly frustrated with ARCTIC!!!!!

I like many in this post have HAD it!!!!

I bought my 15,000 hot tub last year from Arctic...we did our research and determined that Arctic was one of the best in quality and service...boy were we wrong!

We had the FLO message right from the start...that got fixed and we were initially impressed with the quick service to get that done. But the message came back and another service call had to be made to clear the FLO message and replace pump 1 again.

So that is the least of my issues

Onzen and sanitization has been unacceptable to say the least.

I have had probably 3-4 service calls to replace, retro fit, re-plum my hot tub.

Once again we had the retro kit done about 5-6wks ago now...but hey guess what, no more smoke...WTF!!!! No bromine reading anymore...water is now cloudy...this sucks!!!

Arctic if you are listening you have a extremely frustrated customer. I've emailed every one i possibly could a while back and had the retro done quickly because of my stink but now...i'm pissed!

BTW...service folks in Oakville the number we dial for help...brutal! some girl answers and repeats everything to the service manager, you all know his name, and he gives her a possible solution to which i can hear the conversation and already have my answer for them before she finished talking....let me talk to him or is he not into dealing with customers who are experiencing issues!

Another BTW...the guy they send out for service calls...he's AMAZING!!!

If anyone from Arctic is reading...you may want to keep your customers happy...there will be no repeat business and hell no to referrals...that is not good for Arctic.

OK done my rant...will give it to the sales folks tomorrow in the KW store when i get my water tested.

Hi

Our Arctic Spa - Fox was installed September 10 2009 - only 6 weeks ago we have been able to use it approx 8 times with clear water.

We have gone through 3 disposable filter - clogged beyond belief - all our chemicals and have dumped and refilled. Not sure how this tub is low maintaince because it certianly has not turned out to be.

After a service call last week (I am not even going to tell you how that went) we are on day 4 and still not able to use the tub cloudy water.

This was a big investment and now I am 75% sure was a wrong one.

-"FLO" error

Thanks,

Budge