Help In Determining The Best Way To Buy A Spa

Tad

So I just recently decided to get a spa for my backyard (Seattle area) and am having a tough time finding good information regarding what to buy. I am the type of person who likes to do some research, and there's just not a lot out there that I could find on the internet.

I stopped by Apollo Spas and Aqua Quip today, and they both had spas starting around $5K. I'm a new homeowner and wouldn't want to spend a whole lot more than that right now, and I don't need all the bells and whistles. Just looking for something that would provide some relaxation and jets to massage my back.

I read the thread on people who have been working with dealers and how the prices can fluctuate. I just bought my first new car, and hated that whole experience because I never knew if I was actually getting a good deal. I'd rather avoid the whole process. Does anyone have any experience purchasing a hot tub from Costco. They have the Infinity Sun Peak 6 person Spa on Costco.com for 3,600. Would this be a good deal? Looking at the specs. it seems comparable to the ones I saw in the showrooms, but a lot less expensive.

I'd be willing to buy a more expensive one from a dealer if I could finance it and knew I was getting a much better spa. I guess I'm just hoping that some people on here who have some experience in this would be willing to chime in with their opinion.

I've also seen hot tubs on craigslist that people are getting rid of that are fairly new and they just didn't get used enough or they're moving. These are much lower than retail price, though I'm hesitant considering I wouldn't have a warranty most likely. Do manufacturers typically honor more than one owner on a hot tub?

Thanks in advance,

Tad

So I just recently decided to get a spa for my backyard (Seattle area) and am having a tough time finding good information regarding what to buy. I am the type of person who likes to do some research, and there's just not a lot out there that I could find on the internet.

I stopped by Apollo Spas and Aqua Quip today, and they both had spas starting around $5K. I'm a new homeowner and wouldn't want to spend a whole lot more than that right now, and I don't need all the bells and whistles. Just looking for something that would provide some relaxation and jets to massage my back.

I read the thread on people who have been working with dealers and how the prices can fluctuate. I just bought my first new car, and hated that whole experience because I never knew if I was actually getting a good deal. I'd rather avoid the whole process. Does anyone have any experience purchasing a hot tub from Costco. They have the Infinity Sun Peak 6 person Spa on Costco.com for 3,600. Would this be a good deal? Looking at the specs. it seems comparable to the ones I saw in the showrooms, but a lot less expensive.

I'd be willing to buy a more expensive one from a dealer if I could finance it and knew I was getting a much better spa. I guess I'm just hoping that some people on here who have some experience in this would be willing to chime in with their opinion.

I've also seen hot tubs on craigslist that people are getting rid of that are fairly new and they just didn't get used enough or they're moving. These are much lower than retail price, though I'm hesitant considering I wouldn't have a warranty most likely. Do manufacturers typically honor more than one owner on a hot tub?

Thanks in advance,

Tad

2 products that do the same thing, one that cost 3600 and one that cost 6000 while achiving the same results will not be the same in customer support, power consumption, reliability or longevity. It's just not possible. So you can comprimise and spend less if your willing to put up with the descrepencys. After all you will create the same effect in the short run.

There are plenty of maufacturers that build inexpensive good value products, but they will not have the flash available at Costco. Nordic, Great Lakes, @Home, and Everyday just to name a few brands. These products will have a record of reliability, good customer support, longevity and energy effieciency. But they will cost a bit more starting at around 4 G's to 6 G's

Good luck in your search and don't be in a hurry. Comfort on your backside is the first and formost consideration so if at all possible sit in your choices before hand.

That' s good advice from Roger.

I also would like to add the importance of wet testing.

Sometime ago I posted a reply about making a list, here is a link to that topic,

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...entry3281

Since you are in Washington, check out Clearwater, they have a huge showroom and make the spas right there in your state. (Woodinville)

As a service center for the company that makes the Cosco tubs, we can say you get what you pay for. Roger is right. They make look the same, but they just are not. Many dealers of higher end tubs offer financing for your purchase, check others out. Good luck

Thanks for responding. I'll look into Clearwater spas, as I live in Kirkland and do like to support local companies. I guess the biggest problem I'm having is "how do you know when you're getting a good deal on a good spa?" I'd be willing to pay a little more, but I'd want to know that I was getting my money's worth when I did it.

So when you guys say wet testing, you actually go in and try out the spa when it's running? Is this common practice? Like I mentioned before, I'm a total newbie on this.

~Tad

So when you guys say wet testing, you actually go in and try out the spa when it's running? Is this common practice? Like I mentioned before, I'm a total newbie on this.

~Tad

Yes thats right any good dealer will let you try out their spas running. This is common practice. So grab your swimwear and try out as many spas as you want, and go back again and retry at a later date if you want, we did. If you come across any pressure sales people then leave, make this an enjoyable experience.

There are also some other good makes of spas than the ones which spatech has mentioned.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat and looking to buy a spa in the next few weeks. I'm in the Puget Sound as well and stopped by the dealers you mentioned. I also went to Rich's and they are having a decent grand opening sale in honor of their Silverdale store through next weekend. The prices there seemed good. They deal with Caldera. We're now between a Sundance, Caldera, and Arctic and plan to wet test soon. I'd say to wet test and real a lot on this board. There's a ton o f info and hopefully you'll read some stuff that will help you. Probably it will make you even more confused because for ever positive review, there's a complaint.

The one thing I am concerned about is the actual dealer themselves. I've heard mixed reviews of a few local dealers and I'd say the dealer support and service is a big one on my list. I guess you just have to find a dealer you feel comfortable with. The Spring Fair down in Puyallup is supposed to have some spas set up this weekend - might be worth it if you're in the area and want to see different dealers all at once.

Thanks in advance,

Tad

Tad,

Since you are right there in Seattle, you ought to check out Arctic Spas as well. There is an award winning Arctic Spa dealer in the Seattle area. I believe they have four differnet locations to serve the area. Here is their website for more information.

Appolo Spas

If you have any questions in regards to the Arctic Spas, I would be glad to help you out.

I think Tad's question also relates to how you know that, for a specific spa, you are getting a good deal. This purchase is comparable to buying an oriental rug--lots of manufacturers selling under different brand names, a fictious MSRP, and many different manufacturing techniques and materials. As with buying a car, I really don't want to find out that someone else here bought the same car for $2,500 less than I did. I've seen occasional posts where people have asked about prices paid for specific models, so maybe the suggestion for Tad (and me, when I get there) is to post about a model they are considering.

Try out pacific spas. They are in Surrey Bc so this is not far from you for delivery costs. There is probably a local dealer. We wet tested 10 spas and thought this was the best for hydrotherapy, fit and quietness. Website is

http://www.pacificspas.ca/

The key is to wet test as many as possible and then decide. Good luck.

Thanks in advance,

Tad

Hi Tad,

I am in the Tacoma area and purchased a spa 3 weeks ago from Aqua Recs Swimming Hole...they have several stores in the Puget Sound area and sell Marquis Spas. They allowed us to Wet Test and also had several floor models to choose from (1 less now :)). Great delivery and service, very nice people and we feel we got a great deal. You might try them out. We went to Olympic Hotsprings and Apollo Spa and Rich's also. Apollo had a nice salesman but their BBB Rating was nothing to write home about and ultimately was one of the things that turned us toward a different dealer. Also Arctic was a bit too powerful on the jets for us and their floor models had the older jets that popped out all the time. Anyway good luck and if you can wet test I highly recommend it :)

Danelle

• 5 months later...
Apollo had a nice salesman but their BBB Rating was nothing to write home about...

<_<

Please consider the following:

* There are four listings for Apollo Spas in the Spokane, Washington BBB; they have 0 complaints. ZERO for all four locations.

* The Alaska/Oregon/Western WA BBB site lists six stores (Tukwila, Everett, Kirkland, Olympia, Tacoma, Silverland) with collectively ten complaints in three years, all of which have been resolved or closed. That averages one complaint per store over a three year period.

* I checked ONE of several Aqua Recs locations (Tacoma) and found 11 complaints, two of which went to arbitration, the rest resolved or closed. I didn't bother to check the other locations. I guess this poster didn't either.

We bought a used Caldera Kauai off of Craig's list. We love it and have had no problems, other than finding the peculiar two breaker sub panel required by Caldera.

Dave

Thanks in advance,

Tad

We went through same back and forth for years resulting in no spa so we did sailing and more. Well, time to do the backyard and a spa. Ultimate decision favored round, no frills, deep, 220v for quick recovery and we selected the Nordic Crown XL. It's in a week and we have no regrets. We were skeptical because the price was some $1,500 less than a Hot Springs and others. No longer skeptical - it's perfect and so seems the dealer.

Best,

PFamily