What To Tell The Neighbor?

I have a next door neighbor whose house is downhill from ours. The neighbor is afraid our spa will start leaking and kill all her plants with the "water full of chemicals". Any suggestions for how to allay concern?

I have a next door neighbor whose house is downhill from ours. The neighbor is afraid our spa will start leaking and kill all her plants with the "water full of chemicals". Any suggestions for how to allay concern?

First...I am sorry, I thought my neighbors were "different". I guess you could try that by the time the water got there, if it did, that the sand would filter out all the "bad" stuff, such as the earth naturally does for us.

We have friends in Hawaii that water their plants with the hot tub water and washing machine water because the plants love it. I know that chemicals can "burn" the grass if there is a high amount sanitizer in it, but if you flush with fresh water it is not an issue. Good Luck!

Tell her the only chemical you are using is chlorine, and the same chemical is already in her tap water that she's watering her plants with.

Well, we're using bromine... but I should think that the odds of the spa leaking a huge quantity would be pretty slim. It's less than a year old. And when we drain it, we run a hose to the street....

Tell her you have a meth lab and have never had a problem with those chemicals killing her plants....that was a joke, don't tell her that.

Invite them up one time, let them check it out, perhaps get in for a while and they may want one themselves. I have never heard of a spa dumping all of it's water at once. Like the previous posts, if your water is in good shape, even if it did somehow all run out, it would be safe for the plants (for the most part). Reassure her you keep the water in good condition and I bet she'll be fine.

Not to belittle your post but tell her that she has a better chance of being hit by a meteor than the chance that your hot tub will:

1. develop a leak

2. the water (maybe 500 gallons max) will make its way into the soil directly surrounding her plants

3. will contain enough bromine to contaminate and effectively kill her plants.

I would tell her to get some medication and chill out. Wow...are some people really that whacked out? Seriously.

Do you like this neighbor?

And I thought my neighbor was insane.

Let me take a guess,your neighbor is a neat freak,cuts the lawn daily,and must have everything in order and that includes anyone living next to her.She also must be retarded....I meant retired and has nothing better to do with her life everyday than to pester you.Tell her that she should be on Prozac and oh yea like Rickj said tell her to piss off as well.

Do not under any circumstances invite this wacko over.

And I thought my neighbor was insane.

Let me take a guess,your neighbor is a neat freak,cuts the lawn daily,and must have everything in order and that includes anyone living next to her.She also must be retarded....I meant retired and has nothing better to do with her life everyday than to pester you.Tell her that she should be on Prozac and oh yea like Rickj said tell her to piss off as well.

Do not under any circumstances invite this wacko over.

........although, I'm a neat freak, and keep my lawn manicured, and perfect year around, I also had one of those annoying intrusive neighbors (operative word is HAD). I decided that I finally had enough, and decided to piss her off, and she won't even look my way anymore. Its been a great 8 months.......don't let anyone push you around. Its one thing to be a nice neighbor and accomodate, but its another thing when they make unreasonable requests. Have a great day, and soak off the stress later.

I'd tell her you understand her fear. Tell her that you lay awake at night worrying that her house will catch fire when the wind is blowing towards your home and that her house will catch yours on fire. Then tell her that you heard a rumor that there is radon in the soil where you live. She'll be so busy worrying about that she won't even remember you have a spa. You might want to mention that grapefruit now causes breast cancer and that there has been a beef recall. Oh yeah, tell her you saw some strange lights in the sky over her house last night.

I'd tell her you understand her fear. Tell her that you lay awake at night worrying that her house will catch fire when the wind is blowing towards your home and that her house will catch yours on fire. Then tell her that you heard a rumor that there is radon in the soil where you live. She'll be so busy worrying about that she won't even remember you have a spa. You might want to mention that grapefruit now causes breast cancer and that there has been a beef recall. Oh yeah, tell her you saw some strange lights in the sky over her house last night.

Are you my neighbor? :P

I have a next door neighbor whose house is downhill from ours. The neighbor is afraid our spa will start leaking and kill all her plants with the "water full of chemicals".
hyper.gif

Actually, you might reasonably point out that rainwater carries more potentially damaging toxins (including low pH) than anything that will come from your tub. Worth remembering.

This is easy... Next time you drain your spa, drain it directly into her flower beds and then wait a couple weeks. Then you, your neighbor, and all of us will finally know the real answer if it kills her flowers or not. Life is too short to spend time worrying about it!

-Tim B)

Tell your neighbor that you have severe allergies and are really stressed out about all the spores,pollen,mold,dust,chemicals that are coming off her garden and that you would appreciate it if she would remove it.

Since you are up the hill all of these contaminants will travel into your yard and home by natural convection currents.

If she has a compose bin that too must be removed.

I would also tell her that you do not want her using any fertilizers as you are also allergic to any chemical product.

I would inform her of your concern regarding all the nasty little creatures that a garden can attract,such as bugs,worms,moles,mite infested birds,disease carrying squirrels,chipmunks,racoon's,possum's and the large rat's you saw in her yard that probably are harvesting all kinds of disease if not the plague itself.

you may want to go to a pet store and purchase a few dead ones that they use to feed to snakes and throw them in her yard the night before before you mention this and then go hysterical when you see them in her yard the next morning.

At this time you might want to mention your severely allergic reaction to any bee sting.

Yellow Jacket's,Hornet's,Bumble bee's,Honey bee's oh My....

Yellow Jackets,Hornet,Bumble bees,Honey bees oh My................

Yes a garden is something you do not want next to your living quarters.

You have no allergic reaction to concrete and would appreciate it if she removed the garden and installed concrete instead.

If this doesn't work you could always tell her that she should mind her own flippin business,install a very high fence and buzz off!