Hot Spring Ace Water Santitation System

ursulal

well confused again, was ready to purchase a aria i had looked at when the salesman said it was sold. Than went on to explain that i would be much better off to purchase a new one that now has ace salt treatment system. Said it would save me $800.00 a yr in chemicals. Well prior to this conversation he had said total monthly expense between elec and chemicals would be 35-45.00 a month. So math does not add up. Anyhow does anyone have any actuall experience with this new system? and is it worth it? as all new to me. thanks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well confused again, was ready to purchase a aria i had looked at when the salesman said it was sold. Than went on to explain that i would be much better off to purchase a new one that now has ace salt treatment system. Said it would save me $800.00 a yr in chemicals. Well prior to this conversation he had said total monthly expense between elec and chemicals would be 35-45.00 a month. So math does not add up. Anyhow does anyone have any actuall experience with this new system? and is it worth it? as all new to me. thanks

hmm... maybe he was talking about silkbalance, shock, chlorine, and silver ionizer?? that would equal around $800/yr..

$800 per year??? He's gotta be kidding - Dichlor/chlorox is a very cheap sanitizing method. Here's what I spend (and these are on the high side):

Dichlor - $40 per year (on initial fill to establish a CYA reserve, then a monthly dose thereafter)

Cholorox Regular - $3/month = $36 per year

Sunpurity (silver cartridge) - 3 @ $45 = $135 per year

MPS (weekly shock) $50 per year

(My tub has an ozonator)

GRAND TOTAL = $261 PER YEAR

There's no rule saying you HAVE to use a silver cartridge and MPS, so without those the cost is only $76 (yes - seventy six dollars) per year, but let's play safe and call it a round $100 to allow for Spa up / Spa down, etc.

Ask him for a breakdown of the $800 - I'd be very interested to see it.

wow 800.00 thats is steep, we have sold salt generators in the past. i am not a big fan... but if that is what you want then do it, but our customers on the average spend 200-250.00 per year on chemicals,also the cost of the ace system . how much are you paying for it. how long will it take you to recoup the cost... On my own spa with the ozone and using chlorine, maybe 5 minutes a weekd on testing and adjusting, after each use throw a little chlorine in the tub.....works fine for me and my customers...

ok thanks so that is a big help as far as the cost of chemicals go. So what is the deal with the ACE system is it a better way to go? as 1 site i checked said that the salt is very damaging to the tub ,parts etc. thanks

Here is a quick video that will hopefully answer your questions:

ACE Saltwater System by Hot Spring Spas

Termie

hmm... maybe he was talking about silkbalance, shock, chlorine, and silver ionizer?? that would equal around $800/yr..

I'm betting the salesman was indeed talking about comparing ACE to the SilkBalance product line. We figure (depending on the system a customer chooses to use) that the ACE Salt System could save folks $300 to $600 a year. Folks who use the traditional Hot Spring EverFresh System (DiChlor, AG+, Ozone, etc) will spend somewhere about a dollar per day. Silk Balance can cost you about $600 a year, without the Ag+, DiChlor, Non-Chlorine Shock that they recommend.

We've sold a couple dozen ACE Systems I think, and have yet to see a system actually fail. ACE is dependent on water hardness levels (so if you don't have soft water already, ask your dealer for the Vanishing Act product). Once you determine the appropriate Use Level setting compared to your personal usage pattern, the system works extremely well. If you want water that's soft on the skin, doesn't have a strong chemical smell, takes little work on your part, and is easy to operate, the ACE Salt System is the way to go.

The Silk Balance product is increasingly popular for folks, because it negates the requirement for pH testing and balancing, and folks rave that it gets rid of "dry / itchy skin". Plus the product itself is basically odorless. We have a lot of customers who very willingly spend the extra money to use SilkBalance because they really enjoy it.

If you have the choice to do ACE, I'd definitely recommend it.

ok thanks so that is a big help as far as the cost of chemicals go. So what is the deal with the ACE system is it a better way to go? as 1 site i checked said that the salt is very damaging to the tub ,parts etc. thanks

Here is a quick video that will hopefully answer your questions:

ACE Saltwater System by Hot Spring Spas

Termie

Anyone who doesn't sell the ACE system (which only Hot Spring Spas has) will tell you it is damaging to a spa.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it true that the ACE system generates more than just chlorine? I was told that the diamond ionization process is unique in that it produces chlorine (not dichlor; ie no CYA), Hydrogen Peroxide, and MPS. I've read here that hydrogen peroxide and chlorine have somewhat offsetting effects, but I'm guessing since they can achieve effective sanitation levels from just the salt alone, this wouldn't matter, as neither is harmful. Thoughts? I love the idea of the ACE system, and simplicity of maintenance, but just wonder if there are any downsides other than the heavy equipment buy in cost up front, which doesn't even seem to be bad given the current pricing. The salt level monitoring by the control system and the fact that you can easily lower or raise dosage based on demand (parties and usage patterns) are also great ideas. I know that it still requires some monitoring and maintenance, but to never have to handle chorline or bleach, kudos to Hot Spring! The dealership is also saying they're seeing extended drain intervals between 6 and 12 months depending on usage and cleanliness of bathers.

Is it true that the ACE system generates more than just chlorine? I was told that the diamond ionization process is unique in that it produces chlorine (not dichlor; ie no CYA), Hydrogen Peroxide, and MPS. I've read here that hydrogen peroxide and chlorine have somewhat offsetting effects, but I'm guessing since they can achieve effective sanitation levels from just the salt alone, this wouldn't matter, as neither is harmful. Thoughts? I love the idea of the ACE system, and simplicity of maintenance, but just wonder if there are any downsides other than the heavy equipment buy in cost up front, which doesn't even seem to be bad given the current pricing. The salt level monitoring by the control system and the fact that you can easily lower or raise dosage based on demand (parties and usage patterns) are also great ideas. I know that it still requires some monitoring and maintenance, but to never have to handle chorline or bleach, kudos to Hot Spring! The dealership is also saying they're seeing extended drain intervals between 6 and 12 months depending on usage and cleanliness of bathers. Any experienced users want to comment?

The ACE Salt System works very, very well. We have numerous (a couple dozen it appears) using the system just outside of one of our three store locations. As a dealer, we actually love the product. It's easy to install, and works very well (customers like it for it's ease of use, comfort, and less chemical addition).

Because of the diamond process used in the ACE system, it produces Chlorine, MPS (when Sodium Bisulfate pH Decreaser is added to the water), Hydrogen Peroxide, Active Oxygen (works kind of like ozone), and Ozone.

Because ACE is used with soft water, it's much easier on your skin over all. Folks tell us when they sit in a hot tub with ACE in it that it's much more comfortable. Because it's soft, there's no need for scale inhibitors to be added. And you're not adding weekly or daily chlorine doses to the hot tub. So that saves money as well. They also suggest refilling the spa less often (which saves time and money) because you're not adding so much product to the water over time.

Hot Spring recommends refilling the spa every 6 months. With our experience so far (our owner also uses ACE, as well as customers) we're growing more and more confident in believing you can refill every 6 to 12 months as well. So your dealer is not just pulling numbers out of a hat.

Yet another hot tub salesman bullshitting in the effort you get you to part with more of your hard earned dosh. I have a decent sized swimming pool which is many times bigger than a hot tub and I don't even get close to those kind of figures, never mind that just being the saving to be had by switching to this system.

My advice is switch dealers before you buy as anyone who would try and pull a fast one like that is not the kind of outfit you want to be doing your service and repairs.

Your typical salesman talking the usual BS to get you to spend more than you need.

Question....

How much more does the system cost over the standard setup?

If it's more than $100~150 then it's doubtful if it's money well spent.

I'll bite no that even though I'm not the "typical salesman talking the usual BS" that you questioned.

I don't think anyone sells a salt water chlorinator as a NEED. All you really "need" is to sanitize the water and a simple chlorine regimen will do that. I don't think anyone is saying people need to do away with the simple method of adding chlorine granules, maintaining ph/alk, etc...

However, if you deal with spa customers as a whole and get to know what many of them want (not just what you want) you'll find that MANY people want simple, plug-n-play type experiences nowadays. If people will pay $1k for a system that automatically chlorinates the water and they're happy to pay for it then that's their business.

Is $1000 for an auto chlorine generator "money well spent"? If its their money then its their decision as to what "well spent" means because that REALLY varies from person to person. Would I spend that much? Maybe not, but then again I'm a coupon clipping person who drives inexpensive autos until they die, wore hand me downs until I was an adult (4 older brothers, and even more sisters) and ...

While we all have opinions on thins like spas, deciding what is "well spent" for others isn't always the right way to look at it. Then again sometimes I find myself doing similarly when I wonder aloud why someone would get a $14k spa when IMO a great $10k one is available from that same dealer and to me it seems to do just about all the same things minus a couple bells and whistles which I find kind of silly.

I have a dosing machine for my swimming pool so I know the benefits of such a system and it's costs. My gripe wasn't that it couldn't make life easier or in fact how much it costs, what I have a complaint about and in a way so should you (as this type of selling gives all of you guys a bad name) is that he claimed such a huge amount of savings to be had. Anyone without the knowledge of what these things take to run in chemicals would probably jump at this system because they are lead to believe it will save them $800 per year, that is false selling at it's worst.

I have a dosing machine for my swimming pool so I know the benefits of such a system and it's costs. My gripe wasn't that it couldn't make life easier or in fact how much it costs, what I have a complaint about and in a way so should you (as this type of selling gives all of you guys a bad name) is that he claimed such a huge amount of savings to be had. Anyone without the knowledge of what these things take to run in chemicals would probably jump at this system because they are lead to believe it will save them $800 per year, that is false selling at it's worst.

If the same salesman who said chems + electricity would run $35-$5 per month is now saying that the ACE system will save $800 per year, he is in the wrong business. He belongs on Wall Street, in the financial services industry, where his skills could be better utilized.

Is the ACE sytem different from the Autofresh system? Or are thye the same - it sounds different? When I was looking at Hot Springs Spas a couple of years ago they had a carefree sanitizing sytem called Autofresh. Here is info for those who haven't seen it:

Relax and Let Your Spa Take Care of Itself™

Everything about owning a hot tub should be relaxing. Hot Spring® Spas, long the industry leader, now offers a revolutionary new water care system — AutoFresh®. It makes owning a Hot Spring spa dramatically easier, using advanced technology for virtually maintenance-free water care. No other spa makes water care this easy

Raise the IQ Level of Your Spa™

The AutoFresh system is so smart, it does nearly all the water care for you. Using state-of-the-art dispensing technology designed for the medical industry, the AutoFresh system automatically dispenses the required amount of chlorine-free sanitizer into your spa water. The system is precise, so you save money – there's no guesswork and no waste.

Gone are the days of dealing with bottles and remembering to add chemicals to your spa. With the AutoFresh system, you simply dip a test strip in the water every two weeks and input the reading into the spa's control panel or optional remote control. Day after day, the AutoFresh system maintains your spa water for you. When the disposable cartridge's contents run out, just replace it as you would the ink cartridge in your computer printer. So relax, and let your Hot Spring spa take care of itself.

Peace of Mind

Even when you haven't given water care a thought, the AutoFresh system ensures your spa's water is ready when you are. You don't need to wonder if the correct chemicals have been added recently – the AutoFresh system is always at work – so you'll find you use your spa more often. The system adds products according to your input, or defaults to a low-dose setting. Enjoy peace of mind knowing that whenever you want to relax in your spa, its water will be clean and fresh.

The AutoFresh system uses chlorine- and bromine-free products that are gentle on the eyes, hair, and skin. There's no harsh odor. Enjoy true relaxation, knowing that your spa water is clean, clear and so reassuringly gentle on your skin.

Exclusively From Hot Spring Spas

The AutoFresh system represents the ultimate in ease of water care. It's another reason why Hot Spring Spas continues to be the world's number one selling brand of portable spas. With the AutoFresh water care system, you can relax knowing that your Hot Spring spa is the easiest to maintain, smartest spa on the block!

Would this be a better choice than the ACE system? The Autofresh sounds outstanding and I probably would have gone for it if the wet test had worked out better when I tried Hot Spring.

I think what you've described is just the Hot Spring's Nature 2 alternative and still requires MPS. ACE is the only system I'm aware of that needs no additional chemicals after the water is stabilized, besides the salt. Regardless of the dealer's unscrupulous tactics, I would think that the system would appeal to more than just those who don't want to deal with the hassles of a chlorine regimen. At even a modest $250 a year in chemical savings, the buy-in will more than pay for itself over the course of the spa's life. Not having to deal with the hassle is just an added bonus! I talked to one user (referred by my dealer) that has had the system for about a year. He travels a lot, and he said he was confident that he could leave it alone for a month or more at a time, and it would still test at ideal levels when he returned. I'm still shopping, so I'm not a Hot Spring zealot by any means, but if I do buy a Hot Spring's tub, it will have ACE. For those pricing, the difference at my dealer was only about $500 more with than without as well...