Infinity Owners

Wanna a tub

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to hear from people who have the Costco Infinity Sun Peak. How is it doing? How is your electric bill? Any concerns? I know one owner posted that her electric bill was sky-high since she hooked it up. Please respond so I can get some first hand reviews. Thank you!!

If you live in a cold climate you may want to ask again in the middle of winter.

104 degrees :D

I would like to hear from people who have the Costco Infinity Sun Peak. How is it doing? How is your electric bill? Any concerns? I know one owner posted that her electric bill was sky-high since she hooked it up. Please respond so I can get some first hand reviews. Thank you!!

If you live in a cold climate you may want to ask again in the middle of winter.

If you could read then you wouldnt post her as you don't own a Infiniti spa! What is your agenda?

If you could read then you wouldnt post her as you don't own a Infiniti spa! What is your agenda?

If you need to come in with that kind of Quetion :o Whats yours :rolleyes: Do you want someone to buy a unisulated tub and have high electric bills?? is that your agenda??

I thought you died off with hydro-spa??

We have had our Infinity Sun Peak for 3 months and have noticed NO increase in our electric bill. Also, we keep the spa in economy mode and have had no problem with the spa maintaining the set temperature even as the night time temperatures have gotten cooler. We have had a mild early fall so the weather really hasn't put the spa to much of a test yet, but so far so good.

Sandi

I have had this tub for a couple of months now and it has worked good. It looks like it uses 300-250kwh a month which has raised my bill around $120 since it put me into the 300% category of $.36/kwh. I am in a fairly mild climate in California. This is more than I expected so I have been thinking about trying to add insulation but I havn't gotten to it yet.

Thanks! Any info helps me decide which tub to buy. Hope you continue to enjoy your tub.

I have had this tub for a couple of months now and it has worked good. It looks like it uses 300-250kwh a month which has raised my bill around $120 since it put me into the 300% category of $.36/kwh. I am in a fairly mild climate in California. This is more than I expected so I have been thinking about trying to add insulation but I havn't gotten to it yet.

As soon as I get a full electric bill (we get billed bi-monthly and our Infinity went into service at the end of August) I will let you know how much it affected our electric bill, but my first calculation on a partial billing was our bill will go up $16-20/month. Not that big a deal IMO.

No problems with the spa, we love it. Installed easy, controls set easily, maintains temperature, etc. Would definitely buy one again.

Sorry but this hard for me to believe, since I live in the midwest and bought a 9year old tub and as of to date we haven't noticed an increase in our bill any where near your's ours has been around $15.00 more than last year but there has been increses as well. maybe it's like the old saying some things are not built like the older ones who knows ?

Sorry but this hard for me to believe, since I live in the midwest and bought a 9year old tub and as of to date we haven't noticed an increase in our bill any where near your's ours has been around $15.00 more than last year but there has been increses as well. maybe it's like the old saying some things are not built like the older ones who knows ?

I am guessing that your electric bill in the midwest isn't $.36/kwh and more like $.10 max. Here in CA electricity seems to be more than 3 times other areas therefore if you have a $30 bill I would have a $90 bill.

As soon as I get a full electric bill (we get billed bi-monthly and our Infinity went into service at the end of August) I will let you know how much it affected our electric bill, but my first calculation on a partial billing was our bill will go up $16-20/month. Not that big a deal IMO.

No problems with the spa, we love it. Installed easy, controls set easily, maintains temperature, etc. Would definitely buy one again.

What area do you live in and what settings are you using incl. temp? I am just wondering. We have the same spa. Is your pump running alot?

I have it on EC mode and the pumps only runs for 2 hrs twice a day. I have the temperature set at 101 degrees and the weather temperature probably never got below 50F and not above 70F. I am not to sure on what I want to do with the spa yet. I was going to try and do some insulating but nothing that can't be put back to its original state just in case I want to return it. I was told in a previous thread that 300-350kwh per month seemed to be a normal amount is that your experience with your tub? My parents have an old Hot Springs Classic and I don't think it used nearly as much electricity but of course the get a larger amount of kwh per month for less than me.

Just got our electric bill for 10/10 - 11/6. The average daily temperature was 7 degrees warmer in '07 than the same time period in '06 (58 degrees vs. 51 degrees) but our daily usage doubled (from 47.2 KWH per day to 95.7 KWH per day). The only difference between this year and last is the spa. Now, having never owned a spa, I have no idea what I should expect it to cost me per month or how much electricity it should be taking to keep the water heated as the temperature gets colder. Our first 3 electric bills since hooking up the spa showed no difference from last year to this one, but the weather was much warmer so, as I said in an earlier post, the weather wasn't really putting the spa to the test. I have to say that this increase is making me more than a little nervous about what we can expect to see in January and February.

I realize that by posting this, I risk hearing the "I told you so" comments from the Infinity bashers. I would prefer to hear suggestions for what we can/should do rather than hear gloating - my guess is I'll get some of both. Thanks in advance to the folks who want to be helpful rather than spiteful.

Sandi

Just got our electric bill for 10/10 - 11/6. The average daily temperature was 7 degrees warmer in '07 than the same time period in '06 (58 degrees vs. 51 degrees) but our daily usage doubled (from 47.2 KWH per day to 95.7 KWH per day). The only difference between this year and last is the spa. Now, having never owned a spa, I have no idea what I should expect it to cost me per month or how much electricity it should be taking to keep the water heated as the temperature gets colder. Our first 3 electric bills since hooking up the spa showed no difference from last year to this one, but the weather was much warmer so, as I said in an earlier post, the weather wasn't really putting the spa to the test. I have to say that this increase is making me more than a little nervous about what we can expect to see in January and February.

I realize that by posting this, I risk hearing the "I told you so" comments from the Infinity bashers. I would prefer to hear suggestions for what we can/should do rather than hear gloating - my guess is I'll get some of both. Thanks in advance to the folks who want to be helpful rather than spiteful.

Sandi

Here are some suggestions for you, add insulation to your tub and reduce it's filtering to the minumum amount required to keep your water clean. Get an better cover. Time your soaks to your filter cycles. Or buy a well insulated tub from a quality manufacturer, if you'd like I can make some suggestions. Remember you asked.

Sandi

Here are some suggestions for you, add insulation to your tub and reduce it's filtering to the minumum amount required to keep your water clean. Get an better cover. Time your soaks to your filter cycles. Or buy a well insulated tub from a quality manufacturer, if you'd like I can make some suggestions. Remember you asked.

Thanks for your suggestions - all of them. We already have the spa filtering at the lowest setting and keep it in economy mode. Based on our next electric bill, we may be finding out how well Costco stands behind their warranty. But to make an informed decision, I need to know what it generally costs to run a spa. Even the best ones cost something to keep all that hot water hot in the winter. I realize that there are a lot of variables, but I would like to hear from people who have had their spas (any brand) for a while as far as what they tend to cost per month/per day to run. From the figuring that we did last night when we got our bill, it appears that this spa is costing us about $5 a day to run, and we're only into November. To me that seems like a lot, but maybe it's a case of just being unprepared for what it costs to own a spa. Then again, maybe it's a case of making a bad purchase. I really want to know and so would appreciate only serious responses rather than "I told you so" comments. We live in the mid-Atlantic region so the temperatures are not extreme - average winter temps in the 30s with 20s at night. So, give me some data to help with my decision. Thanks.

Sandi

Thanks for your suggestions - all of them. We already have the spa filtering at the lowest setting and keep it in economy mode. Based on our next electric bill, we may be finding out how well Costco stands behind their warranty. But to make an informed decision, I need to know what it generally costs to run a spa. Even the best ones cost something to keep all that hot water hot in the winter. I realize that there are a lot of variables, but I would like to hear from people who have had their spas (any brand) for a while as far as what they tend to cost per month/per day to run. From the figuring that we did last night when we got our bill, it appears that this spa is costing us about $5 a day to run, and we're only into November. To me that seems like a lot, but maybe it's a case of just being unprepared for what it costs to own a spa. Then again, maybe it's a case of making a bad purchase. I really want to know and so would appreciate only serious responses rather than "I told you so" comments. We live in the mid-Atlantic region so the temperatures are not extreme - average winter temps in the 30s with 20s at night. So, give me some data to help with my decision. Thanks.

There are alot of variables. Figures of 1 dollar a day are about average for the higher end well made manufacturers. If you pay .07 to .10 cents per KWH This of course can be alot less 10-15 bucks a month in the summer and as high as 40-50 during the colder months or heavy use water change months. A brand with a small non jet pump style circ pump will only use the same amount of power as a 100W light bulb during filtration. Add a fully insulated cabinet and very little heat loss leads to inexpensive operation during non use times. Which is 23 hours a day if you use it every day.

OK, my electric bill did NOT double as a result of my Costco spa - I made a huge mistake and don't want other people who purchased Infinity spas thinking that they made a huge mistake with their purchase. Today, my son pointed out that last winter, we added a 1000 sq. foot 2-story addition to our house. Since construction didn't start til mid November, this time last year we didn't have the addition. SO, the increase in our electric bill is primarily due to the fact that we are heating and cooling an extra 1000 sq. feet of living space 24/7, NOT due to our hot tub! I guess I had read so many, "Wait til you see your electric bill ..." posts that I was focused on expecting to see a big increase in my electric usage as a result of buying a bargain spa, and that that was the only thing that came to mind when I looked at my bill. Either that or it was just a blonde moment!

Sandi

OK, my electric bill did NOT double as a result of my Costco spa - I made a huge mistake

Sandi, So I guess you won't be testing the Costco return policy after all. Buy a thermal blanket and enjoy your tub. Here's a link if you need other energy saving ideas. :rolleyes::lol::lol:

http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/wint...tm#Winter%20Use

I have a Master Spa LSX1050 and last year the coldest month during the winter it cost me $200 (1800kwh). I live in Delaware so the winters here are pretty mild. My hot tub on the average consumes from 25 KWH per day in the summer to 60KWH per day in the winter. I pay 11 cents per KWH so it cost me anywhere from $2.25 a day in the summer to $6.60 per day in the winter. My highest electric bill was for January 2007 and according to my electric bill the daily average was 42 degrees. The tub is used on the average 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. The LSX1050 is a 2007 model with a new Sunstar (4in to 2in) 2lb foam cover. The tub sits on pavers and is surrounded by a 2 1/2 foot high sitting wall.

I have 3 coworkers and each of them own a Hot Springs tub and all three of them say they see a $10 increase of usage in the summer and about $30 in the winter (per/month). There tubs are 1-3 years old and are fully foam insulated.

The Master Spa East website states Master Spa's hot tubs are some of the most energy efficient portable spas ever built. You can expect to spend on average $30.00 a month. Actual costs will vary from situation to situation. (Note that the Master Spa website does not explain what conditions they determined the cost of $30 a month).

D1 website states at 10 cents a KWH their hot tub will cost you $15.79 per month. Their testing is done with the ambient temperature at 60 degrees, the thermostat set at 104 degrees to maintain the water temperature a minimum of 102. Their tests are based on spa use at 20 minutes every other day with the high speed jets on.

My LSX1050 using the same test as above would cost me $100 a month.

IMO full foam insulation is the way to go, my experience with Master Spa is the thermal pane design doesn’t work( Master Spa's are energy pigs).

There may be a spa company out there that has perfected the thermal pane design, but I can tell you that it isn't Master Spa and at $14,000 the tub isn't cheap.

Do your homework, wet test and most of all know what the tub is going to cost you to operate. A poorly insulated tub is going to cost you big bucks to operate.

OK, my electric bill did NOT double as a result of my Costco spa - I made a huge mistake

Sandi, So I guess you won't be testing the Costco return policy after all. Buy a thermal blanket and enjoy your tub. Here's a link if you need other energy saving ideas. :rolleyes::lol::lol:

http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/wint...tm#Winter%20Use

I stumbled upon this site yesterday while shopping online for thermal blankets which someone else had recommended buying. I ended up ordering the foam type from Spa Depot. We used to use those thin bubble wrap things when we had our above ground pool. After a few seasons of use, we would find little pieces of blue plastic in the pool and in the skimmer basket - don't want that in my spa! Thanks!

Sandi

My recommendation is to return the tub to Costco (cut your loses) and buy a high efficiency tub. Go to a D1 or a Hot Springs dealer and look under the hood on how a quality tub is insulated.

IMO, A thermal blanket on a poorly insulated tub is like insulating your attic with R60 insulation and then opening a window in your house. A thermal blanket will help but it won't cut your power consumption in half.

All tubs are not made the same. As they say, you can pay me now or you can pay me later.

Since I bought a poorly insulated tub a year ago, I have become one educated consumer.