Hydrospa (legend 3 From Costco) 2 Major Leaks

A quick update. Hydrospa is getting a different warranty tech company to come by my house to have a look and hopefully they will be able to repair the leak in my yard. I will update you after this company comes by in the next day or two.

P.S - i will be taking some pics this afternoon/evening of my tub in my deck and some with the panels off.

Good luck!! Hell if they dont do you right take it back and just buy another. Did you pay for someone to deliver? Either way let us know how it turns out. Pics would be nice...

Yep had it delivered. Cost me 3 hundy.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep....POS...I mean PE3

The imfamous 180 in the plumbing followed closely by a 90. 270 degrees of turns in 10 inches.

Hope you get it figured out. Better start taking the deck apart so the repair guys can get it tipped on it's side. Make them put blankets under it and tip it to the equipment side.

[

Hope you get it figured out. Better start taking the deck apart so the repair guys can get it tipped on it's side. Make them put blankets under it and tip it to the equipment side.

A single post lift like they use on cars would be the cats meow .

I would have been simple for them to mount the went end for side discharge and you could have used a sweep 90 to go directly into the heater.That would ve eliminated the 180,and the extra pipe. Would have only been one fitting.

Sometimes the pump drain fitting ends up in the wrong place though but I have drilled and tapped holes in the wet end and put plugs in before to facilitate turning a wet end on a pump to accomplish exactly what you just said. But lets keep this between us as we are not engineers.

Yeah it's gonna be tough to put this baby on it's side. Especially within the confines of the spot I have. I think it can be done as I allowed 36" from the back end to the fence (to allow for the cover lifter and cover to swing out and rest behind the tub - you can se it in the pics). One issue is the electrical 6 gauge wiring which is in the front of the tub (spa pack area) that is in very tight. I may need to remove the cable to allow the tub to flip up on it's side.

This is how I was thinking this may work.

1) pull out and disconnect power cable (6gauge into the spa pack)

2) push the spa back towards the fence to allow the tub some space when we tip the tub onto the spa pack face

3) lift or lever or find some way to tilt the tub up as high as possible so the middle of the bottom is exposed enough to access it

4) remove bottom access panel (hydrospa) said there is one

5) find the loose connection and repair it

6) reverse order of the above and Bob's your uncle!

I have basically figured out the water leak is coming from the very middle jet in the bottom of the tub. I had a look yesterday and that middle jet was the lowest point in the tub that was dry and di not have standing water in it. I then grabbed a pitcher of water and poured it into the middle bottom jet and the water just kept pouring in. So I am assuming that the connection below that jet is the one that is loose or broken. Or at the very least there is something wrong in that area.

Has anyone ever experienced a leak in this area? Any other suggestions or comments on how to accomplish the fix? How many guys do you think I should tell Hydrospa to line up? This hottub is big and heavy!! 91"x91"!!

Here's some more pics showing the area I have to do things...

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc142/f.../100_5353-1.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc142/f.../100_5364-1.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc142/f...ck/100_5374.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc142/f...ck/100_5356.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc142/f...ck/101_1474.jpg

And the tub in better days!!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc142/f...ck/100_5067.jpg

Yeah it's gonna be tough to put this baby on it's side. Especially within the confines of the spot I have. I think it can be done as I allowed 36" from the back end to the fence (to allow for the cover lifter and cover to swing out and rest behind the tub - you can se it in the pics). One issue is the electrical 6 gauge wiring which is in the front of the tub (spa pack area) that is in very tight. I may need to remove the cable to allow the tub to flip up on it's side.

This is how I was thinking this may work.

1) pull out and disconnect power cable (6gauge into the spa pack)

2) push the spa back towards the fence to allow the tub some space when we tip the tub onto the spa pack face

3) lift or lever or find some way to tilt the tub up as high as possible so the middle of the bottom is exposed enough to access it

4) remove bottom access panel (hydrospa) said there is one

5) find the loose connection and repair it

6) reverse order of the above and Bob's your uncle!

I have basically figured out the water leak is coming from the very middle jet in the bottom of the tub. I had a look yesterday and that middle jet was the lowest point in the tub that was dry and di not have standing water in it. I then grabbed a pitcher of water and poured it into the middle bottom jet and the water just kept pouring in. So I am assuming that the connection below that jet is the one that is loose or broken. Or at the very least there is something wrong in that area.

Has anyone ever experienced a leak in this area? Any other suggestions or comments on how to accomplish the fix? How many guys do you think I should tell Hydrospa to line up? This hottub is big and heavy!! 91"x91"!!

Here's some more pics showing the area I have to do things...

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc142/f.../100_5353-1.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc142/f.../100_5364-1.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc142/f...ck/100_5374.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc142/f...ck/100_5356.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc142/f...ck/101_1474.jpg

And the tub in better days!!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc142/f...ck/100_5067.jpg

How many did it take to get it in there is how many to get it out.

[/url]

How many did it take to get it in there is how many to get it out.

2 guys plus me to get it in. But the deck wasn't there at the time. It will take 3 or 4 I figure plus some tools such as jacks and blocks to get this on it's side. I'm on the phone with Hydro right now. Making sure the new warranty guys come out with enough guys and the tools required. Buddy at Hydro said the tub weighs 1100 pounds.

"Well, if you REALLY did buy a Costco hydrospa legend tub"

"Just so happened to buy a hydrospa and then stubble in here to complain....sounds bogus to me. Its the cynical side of me...sorry."

Nice pics, well I guess he isn't part the evil, top secret, spa company hit squad sent here to discredit hydro/costco tubs....... or maybe........these are doctored photos....hmmmmmm.

Those bastards will stop at nothing! :-)

"Just so happened to buy a hydrospa and then stubble in here to complain....sounds bogus to me. Its the cynical side of me...sorry."

Nice pics, well I guess he isn't part the evil, top secret, spa company hit squad sent here to discredit hydro/costco tubs....... or maybe........these are doctored photos....hmmmmmm.

LOL, good point.

So you are naive to think there arent some people on the forum who have created alter profiles? Like I said...pictures are worth a thousand words. I actually posted in another thread about someone who has a PE III and there was a newbie post (in favor of the PE III) right after that was very suspect. I think there are people on both sides who will do whatever it takes to feed the debate.

I am not partial to one side...

Turn on the IP logging and lets see...easy solution

What is available to me is a feature that allows me to click on your IP number, then choose "Find Members" that have posted with this same IP number.... Oddly 104, with your IP number, I get the following returned;

"There was no data returned from your search input, please try again".

With this information, I'm left with no choice but to believe you don't exist. :lol: Therefore, what's the point?

What is available to me is a feature that allows me to click on your IP number, then choose "Find Members" that have posted with this same IP number.... Oddly 104, with your IP number, I get the following returned;

"There was no data returned from your search input, please try again".

With this information, I'm left with no choice but to believe you don't exist. :lol: Therefore, what's the point?

Well if i dont exist whats the point :lol: Ask mr Willard

Nice pictures. It's nice to have a deck but , in your case, the deck is hindering access to the pumps , heater, and piping. Also, what is your tub sitting on? You might have gotten your leaks by not putting the tub on a reinforced concrete slab. If the tub is not consistently supported, the parts carrying the most weight will tend to settle more than the parts with less and the resultant strain will bend and stretch the tub enough to cause leaks. I suggest that you rebuild the deck to enclose the tub on only one or maybe two sides and put it on a reinforced concrete slab if it is not.

Nice pictures. It's nice to have a deck but , in your case, the deck is hindering access to the pumps , heater, and piping. Also, what is your tub sitting on? You might have gotten your leaks by not putting the tub on a reinforced concrete slab. If the tub is not consistently supported, the parts carrying the most weight will tend to settle more than the parts with less and the resultant strain will bend and stretch the tub enough to cause leaks. I suggest that you rebuild the deck to enclose the tub on only one or maybe two sides and put it on a reinforced concrete slab if it is not.

You don't even know if she has a slab, you're just taking a stab?? C'mon, those leaks are from poor workmanship and/or bad parts and since its in more than one place I'm betting it's workmanship. Chaulk it up to what it is and stop making ridiculous statements like that.

You don't even know if she has a slab, you're just taking a stab?? C'mon, those leaks are from poor workmanship and/or bad parts and since its in more than one place I'm betting it's workmanship. Chaulk it up to what it is and stop making ridiculous statements like that.

I have 10" x 12' x 2" pressure treated planks levelled and fastened together for a pad/slab. I couldn't find a concrete company willing to do such a small job as an 9'x9' concrete slab. I'm living in one of the hottest economies in the world and work doesn't come cheap. I called Hyrdospa before the plank thing and they ok'd it.

I highly doubt the two major leaks were caused by what my tub is sitting on. Just call up hydrospa and they will tell you that piping leaks are common. Especially due to transporting the tub using carriers from Florida all the way up to Canada.

Crappy workmanship?? Yeah most likely. I guess you get what you pay for. But damnit a comparable tub from a "reputable" manufacturer and dealer is 3 to 4 times the cost of this tub. The wide disparity in pricing makes me determined to make mine work!!

Also, if you notice how the deck was built that we put in access areas on 2 sides. And we left one side3 completely open. Just one side has limited access. Either way when you get a leak on the very bottom of the tub side access will not help you one bit. P.S the first major leak was repairable and was repaired without having to move the tub.

The deck cost me a few bucks to build it and I'm not looking to tear it up or redesign it for the sake of a tub that should not be having issues this early on.

My dad bought a hottub 15 years ago and built a deck around it. He left about 12" on the sides to access but I can't remember him ever having to access the tub.

So I'm not completely off base with my current set up! At this point I am thinking about a dealer tub but the costs still seem ridiculous to me. I am still working things through hydrospa but I am not happy with them not being able to line up a reputable company to come repair my tub. Especially since they told me that a leak in the very middle/bottom of my tub is actually common!

a dealer tub but the costs still seem ridiculous to me. I am still working things through hydrospa but I am not happy with them not being able to line up a reputable company to come repair my tub.

I wish you all the luck in the word. I wish i was closer i would give you a hand getting it out of there. being an end user i do feel your pain.

John

I have 10" x 12' x 2" pressure treated planks levelled and fastened together for a pad/slab. I couldn't find a concrete company willing to do such a small job as an 9'x9' concrete slab. I'm living in one of the hottest economies in the world and work doesn't come cheap. I called Hyrdospa before the plank thing and they ok'd it.

I highly doubt the two major leaks were caused by what my tub is sitting on. Just call up hydrospa and they will tell you that piping leaks are common. Especially due to transporting the tub using carriers from Florida all the way up to Canada.

Crappy workmanship?? Yeah most likely. I guess you get what you pay for. But damnit a comparable tub from a "reputable" manufacturer and dealer is 3 to 4 times the cost of this tub. The wide disparity in pricing makes me determined to make mine work!!

Also, if you notice how the deck was built that we put in access areas on 2 sides. And we left one side3 completely open. Just one side has limited access. Either way when you get a leak on the very bottom of the tub side access will not help you one bit. P.S the first major leak was repairable and was repaired without having to move the tub.

The deck cost me a few bucks to build it and I'm not looking to tear it up or redesign it for the sake of a tub that should not be having issues this early on.

My dad bought a hottub 15 years ago and built a deck around it. He left about 12" on the sides to access but I can't remember him ever having to access the tub.

So I'm not completely off base with my current set up! At this point I am thinking about a dealer tub but the costs still seem ridiculous to me. I am still working things through hydrospa but I am not happy with them not being able to line up a reputable company to come repair my tub. Especially since they told me that a leak in the very middle/bottom of my tub is actually common!

If Hydrospa okayed planks under your tub, then they cannot exclude damage caused by a bad support in the warranty. Just be sure you have their okay in writing or recorded on your voicemail or something. With that said, the planks will NEVER be a good base for your hot tub or ANY hot tub. If you return the Costco tub and get a dealer tub, they will tell you the same thing, although maybe not until the dealer tub starts to leak. You need to put in a reinforced concrete slab and that's all there is to it. The planks do not have any structural strength when laid on their sides and the ground beneath them probably does not have any, either. The Hydrospa tubs have the weight of the tub sitting on little molded plastic piers that MUST be supported uniformly and consistently. My tub is sitting on a concrete slab that we poured ourselves and we have never had even a drip.

I was not suggesting that you rebuild your deck to repair your leaks. You shouldn't have any more leaks when you get everything installed right. Rebuilding your deck a little bit will give you better access later to the pumps and heater which WILL need service at some point in the future. Again, this is the same for a dealer tub. I don't think you have to rebuild it completely, just rearrange it a little bit and remove a little bit.

If I were you, I would remove the deck in front of the pump compartment and/or rotate the tub 90 degrees or 180 degrees. Then pull the tub off of the planks, remove the planks, use the planks to make a concrete form, go get 100 feet of #4 reinforcing bar from a home improvement store (you can cut it with a hack saw) place the rebar in the form on 9 to 12 inch centers each way, put some rocks under the rebar to hold it up off of the ground, get 45 sacks (60 lb sacks) of concrete premix at the home improvement store, rent a cement mixer, and have a concrete mixing/placement party. You don't have to finishthe concrete much for a hot tub. Just get a long straight board that reaches all the way across the concrete form from side to side, and drag it across the top of the wet concrete to remove the excess. Then let the concrete set for a couple of hours and then get a smooth trowel and wipe it smooth a litttle bit. Even if it doesn't look the greatest, it will set up okay and provide a good base for your tub. Happy tubbing.

To imply that that a tub leaks because it is not on a concrete slab is rediculous. Is that what hydro is using these days to avoid warranty on its tubs leaking??? In my ten years I have never seen a tub leak because it was on a wood deck. I would have to say in Canada 1 in 10 are put on wood decks. If you have a tub that can only be on concrete or "its going to leak" I would definitely stay away from that product.

See, spa-no-tech, I know that the tubs don't have "poor workmanship" because I both own one and I know something about plastic piping and pumps. That puts me waaaaay ahead of you. Since it was NOT poor workmanship, the leaks could only have been caused by damage during shipment or damage from the installation. If there was damage during shipment, the leaks would have probably been there on day 1 as soon as the tub was filled rather than developing after a period of two months, which would also be true of leaks caused by "poor workmanship."