Circulation Pumps?

m3722

Yes

I don't agree Cinder Jack. The circ pump does not take it's water from the pickups on the spa floor, or near it. It takes it's water through the filter. I think Brulan is confused on what the difference between the bypass system used on all brands and the system chosen by HS.

Let me see if I can clear it up. On all circulation pump tubs no matter what the brand when the circ pump is on, the water IS going through the filter....period........all of it. When you turn on the jet pumps on any brand other than HS some water will bypass the filter through the pickups in the bottom of the tub (take a look some time, at the bottom of the filter housing there is a spring loaded flapper that blocks most of the water during low speed filtering so it is forced through the filter, and opens on high speed operation allowing for suffiecient flow to the pump ) and even more will bypass the higher the suction (clogged filters can cause high suction and some other things) or the higher the speed of the pump/pumps. On the HS system no matter what you turn on and no matter how many pumps you have, all the water goes through the filters. There is no bypass. Keep in mind folks I am not saying one system is better or worse than the other. They both work and they both have some dissadvatages. I see it as an option for the consumer.

Do we have this at least sorta clear?

If your asking Brulan if there are places where water may get stagnant on a circ pump spa, the answer is yes. But that is precisly why clean up cycles where made programable into your controls.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree Cinder Jack. The circ pump does not take it's water from the pickups on the spa floor, or near it. It takes it's water through the filter. I think Brulan is confused on what the difference between the bypass system used on all brands and the system chosen by HS.

Let me see if I can clear it up. On all circulation pump tubs no matter what the brand when the circ pump is on, the water IS going through the filter....period........all of it. When you turn on the jet pumps on any brand other than HS some water will bypass the filter through the pickups in the bottom of the tub (take a look some time, at the bottom of the filter housing there is a spring loaded flapper that blocks most of the water during low speed filtering so it is forced through the filter, and opens on high speed operation allowing for suffiecient flow to the pump ) and even more will bypass the higher the suction (clogged filters can cause high suction and some other things) or the higher the speed of the pump/pumps. On the HS system no matter what you turn on and no matter how many pumps you have, all the water goes through the filters. There is no bypass. Keep in mind folks I am not saying one system is better or worse than the other. They both work and they both have some dissadvatages. I see it as an option for the consumer.

If your asking Brulan if there are places where water may get stagnant on a circ pump spa, the answer is yes. But that is precisly why clean up cycles where made programable into your controls.

I understand the non-bypass by hotsprings. How about the 99 percent of the other tubs that do not have the bypass? I also understand that some are programmable but than it runs and runs and runs.

I don't agree Cinder Jack. The circ pump does not take it's water from the pickups on the spa floor, or near it. It takes it's water through the filter.

The question was whether the circ. pump would circulate water on the oppostie side of the tub. (I think that is what the question was.) The answer is yes as far as a Sundance 880 is concerned. Although the circ. pump skims the water, there is water coming out on the bottom of the spa to stir things up. There is also another entry point (or two depending on whether the valve is in the middle position) that moves the water around.

Essentially, the water that is returned to the spa on the bottom of the spa, forcing the water on the bottom of the spa to the top.

The question was whether the circ. pump would circulate water on the oppostie side of the tub. (I think that is what the question was.) The answer is yes as far as a Sundance 880 is concerned. Although the circ. pump skims the water, there is water coming out on the bottom of the spa to stir things up. There is also another entry point (or two depending on whether the valve is in the middle position) that moves the water around.

Essentially, the water that is returned to the spa on the bottom of the spa, forcing the water on the bottom of the spa to the top.

Thankyou for clarifing the water delemna for me. ;)

"On the HS system no matter what you turn on and no matter how many pumps you have, all the water goes through the filters. There is no bypass."

If the water is 100% filtered with no bypass... what happens if something (like a little hand or small child or a few strands of hair) is blocking the filter? Will it continue to create suction making it hard to pull off? I am under the understanding that the bypass was created primarily for safety.

If a HS system doesn't have a suction pickup on the bottom of the tub, how well does it filter particulates that settle near the bottom of the tub? Does the circ pump create enough water movement to move these up to the skimmer? Just curious

The jets from the lower end of the tub must move the water at some point towards the surface to be filtered I suppose.

That doesn't sound too good for the larger particulates. Personally I think there should be a suction intake or two in the bottom to pull in and filter contaminates. Having to rely on water movement to move these larger contamination particles to the top (skimmer area) is not the best design setup, in my opinion of course.

That doesn't sound too good for the larger particulates. Personally I think there should be a suction intake or two in the bottom to pull in and filter contaminates. Having to rely on water movement to move these larger contamination particles to the top (skimmer area) is not the best design setup, in my opinion of course.

The bottom pick ups on any brand DO NOT filter the water. It bypasses the filter and goes straight into your pump, then your heater, then back into the tub. Your right a bottom pick up that filters is a great idea, kinda defeats the purpose of safety though which is why they are designed into the tub.

The bottom pick ups on any brand DO NOT filter the water. It bypasses the filter and goes straight into your pump, then your heater, then back into the tub. Your right a bottom pick up that filters is a great idea, kinda defeats the purpose of safety though which is why they are designed into the tub.

I am confused how would a bottom intake that would pickup and filter water compromise safety? I have observed that the bottom intakes work when the skimmer intake gets blocked off or when the pumps are in high speed. Roger can you explain why it would defeat the purpose of safety? I would like to better understand.

I am confused how would a bottom intake that would pickup and filter water compromise safety? I have observed that the bottom intakes work when the skimmer intake gets blocked off or when the pumps are in high speed. Roger can you explain why it would defeat the purpose of safety? I would like to better understand.

The pick ups in the bottom of the tub are partialy to relieve suction if there is an obstuction on the filter (for instance someones hair. If the filter becomes plugged by a little kid or something, the bottom pick ups will relieve the suction in order to allow for removal of the obstuction to prevent entrapment or damage to components.

If you filter off the bottom pick ups you would need a way to bypass them also (like your filter now) to allow for removal of obstructions.

The pick ups in the bottom of the tub are partialy to relieve suction if there is an obstuction on the filter (for instance someones hair. If the filter becomes plugged by a little kid or something, the bottom pick ups will relieve the suction in order to allow for removal of the obstuction to prevent entrapment or damage to components.

If you filter off the bottom pick ups you would need a way to bypass them also (like your filter now) to allow for removal of obstructions.

Thanks for the detailed explaination, I understand what you are saying now.

• 2 weeks later...

NONO I want to hear this one. What does the quality of the circulating pump have to do with hair being caught up? :D

Some manufacturers don't use custom made circ pumps. This can result in a circulation situation that is not consistant with generic plumbing and jet pump unit assembly package kits that wont work cohesively when operational.

Some manufacturers don't use custom made circ pumps. This can result in a circulation situation that is not consistant with generic plumbing and jet pump unit assembly package kits that wont work cohesively when operational.

OK.......not to sure how this has anything to do with bottom pickups that are effectivly engineered for dispersment ratios that will not exceed manufacturers rated voluemetric flow rates.

:D