Monthly Cost To Operate An Electrical Spa

kevinv18

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol Grandee would be more like 20-25 (even in seattle)...Hot springs is most efficent spa and make a 25 dollar garuntee, I would say sundance maybe a little more but not alot

The 25 dollar guarantee just shows how confident they are about their tub since even if power rates in a city are double or triple what they are in another city, they will still make their 25 dollar guarantee and stand by it. Now that's confidence!

TR Caspian (similar to the Grandee, but a wee bit smaller) new in July in warm mild San Jose... can't even tell yet what the cost is, since this summer has been cooler, so little AC use, and my month to month bill is lower vs last year since installing the spa, and I also had swapped out most of my incandescent lighting with compact florescents, which may cancel out the increase in electrical use from the spa anyway :D

lol Grandee would be more like 20-25 (even in seattle)...Hot springs is most efficent spa and make a 25 dollar garuntee, I would say sundance maybe a little more but not alot

The 25 dollar guarantee just shows how confident they are about their tub since even if power rates in a city are double or triple what they are in another city, they will still make their 25 dollar guarantee and stand by it. Now that's confidence!

Come on guys how about a little honesty, no manufactures guarantees operating cost, there are too many variables involved to make such a claim.

If energy cost is important to you ask the dealers for some customer referrals and ask the people that are actually using the spa and come up with an average.

Can anyone tell me the approximate monthly electrical cost for the Hotsprings Grandee and the Sundance Optima? I know the cost will vary with useage, but I am trying to get a general idea to help make a decision.

Thanks for your help.

Energy efficient tubs cost next to nothing to run...less than $5 per month...because they have a lot of insulation that keeps heat in so you don't have to heat them.

Energy efficient tubs cost next to nothing to run...less than $5 per month...because they have a lot of insulation that keeps heat in so you don't have to heat them.

Please stop making stupid statements.

-Earlier in the week you said a poorly insulated spa can cost $500/month more than a well insulated one!

-Now you say the well insulated one costs less than $5/month.

Therefore, you're saying the well insulated one is $4/month and the poor one $504/month? That's so ridiculously off base it’s funny.

Where is this guarantee? Surely something like this has to be somewhere online or I should at least be able to call Hotspring and get this.

Please stop making stupid statements.

-Earlier in the week you said a poorly insulated spa can cost $500/month more than a well insulated one!

-Now you say the well insulated one costs less than $5/month.

Therefore, you're saying the well insulated one is $4/month and the poor one $504/month? That's so ridiculously off base it’s funny.

Uhh...Spatech...I asked you what YOU thought the difference was and you were silent. A well insulated tub will lose much less heat than the poorly insulated one, that's just obvious to everyone except you. Sometimes a poorly insulated tub will lose so much heat that the owner cannot afford to run it any more. That's really sad to see., especially when it is at a place like an apartment house or condos where it is enjoyed by many. The $5 per month is certainly achievable depending on how cold the outside is, how hot the tub is set at, how often it gets opened, etc. It is possible to lower that to $0 per month if you set the temp down, live in a warm climate, and don't open the tub up. Maybe you need to upgrade your tub if your heating costs are getting out of hand. I can provide a good recommendation...

first no manufacturer would be silly enough to make a claim of $25 a month. an invidual dealer might if they had plenty of disclaimers. even if called on it and they lost $10 a month if it sold them spas they would come out on top.

if memory serves the hss circulation pump uses around 70 watts an hr. using my handy dandy calculator i get about 50 kilowatts for a 30 day period. depending on the area and tier a person is in your looking at about $7-$12 a month to run that. the heater and jet pump(s) will vary alot on the frequency of use and ambient temp. $5 a month? your funny tubo. i think 25 to 35 would cover about 90% of grandee users.

(how do you filter your $0 a month tub, tub?)

Uhh...Spatech...I asked you what YOU thought the difference was and you were silent. A well insulated tub will lose much less heat than the poorly insulated one, that's just obvious to everyone except you. Sometimes a poorly insulated tub will lose so much heat that the owner cannot afford to run it any more. That's really sad to see., especially when it is at a place like an apartment house or condos where it is enjoyed by many. The $5 per month is certainly achievable depending on how cold the outside is, how hot the tub is set at, how often it gets opened, etc. It is possible to lower that to $0 per month if you set the temp down, live in a warm climate, and don't open the tub up. Maybe you need to upgrade your tub if your heating costs are getting out of hand. I can provide a good recommendation...

Uhh... OK, the difference between a well insulated spa and a poorly one can run $100/month or even $200/month if its a real piece of crap and your rates are sky high but certainly not $500/month as you stated.

As far as your assertion "$5 per month is certainly achievable depending on how cold the outside is, how hot the tub is set at, how often it gets opened, etc.", that is just grandstanding. Why not stick to realistic numbers? They paint enough of a picture and still make your point like:

"A poorly insulated spa can cost you an extra $100/month or more to operate than a well insulated one."

I'm agreeing with your overall concept but your posts about $5 per month versus $500/month just makes your point unbelievable.

Uhh... OK, the difference between a well insulated spa and a poorly one can run $100/month or even $200/month if its a real piece of crap and your rates are sky high but certainly not $500/month as you stated.

As far as your assertion "$5 per month is certainly achievable depending on how cold the outside is, how hot the tub is set at, how often it gets opened, etc.", that is just grandstanding. Why not stick to realistic numbers? They paint enough of a picture and still make your point like:

"A poorly insulated spa can cost you an extra $100/month or more to operate than a well insulated one."

I'm agreeing with your overall concept but your posts about $5 per month versus $500/month just makes your point unbelievable.

You are underestimating just how bad a poorly-insulated tub can be. Picture an in-ground tub with no cover at a mountain ski resort with the temp set at 40C. Or picture an old above-ground tub with a thin, leaky cover, old controls, rusty old heater, no side insulation, and the bottom of the tub sitting on the ground. Now throw in a cold arctic wind and high power costs and the hapless owner needs to take out a loan to pay the power bill. $500? Easy peasy.

You are underestimating just how bad a poorly-insulated tub can be. Picture an in-ground tub with no cover at a mountain ski resort with the temp set at 40C. Or picture an old above-ground tub with a thin, leaky cover, old controls, rusty old heater, no side insulation, and the bottom of the tub sitting on the ground. Now throw in a cold arctic wind and high power costs and the hapless owner needs to take out a loan to pay the power bill. $500? Easy peasy.

LOL, so you're telling me those were the scenarios you were referring to? How about a spa with the sides off, no cover, the temp set to 108º and it's used at the Antarctic Research Station?

So when you talked about spas only costing $5/month did you mean the outside temp was 102º, the filtering was turned off, it was only used once per month and the house was in Kuwait where the power rates are low?

C'mon, we've been talking about portable spas here so lets take the leap of faith that there is a cover on it and there was SOME attempt by the manufacturer to have some type of insulation (poorly done or not). In those scenarios it's not reasonable to say a poorly spa would cost an additional $500/month. If you make ridiculous claims you loose credibility.

One point I would like to add no matter how good the spa is, make sure you get a good quality thick cover because that is where most of the heat will be lost.

very true, heat rises

if you take off a hat ur wearing u can easily cool off

Heat rises yes, but heat radiats to cold. If you have little insulation and a great cover you will loose it elswhere.

One point I would like to add no matter how good the spa is, make sure you get a good quality thick cover because that is where most of the heat will be lost.

very true, heat rises

if you take off a hat ur wearing u can easily cool off

Heat rises yes, but heat radiats to cold. If you have little insulation and a great cover you will loose it elswhere.

also very true

25 bucks in summer and up to 50 in winter....is that so tough?

For a good spa, yes.

Well according to you my hydrospa is a bad spa yet it falls right in line with these numbers, same as my freinds H.S. Sovereign...go figure :rolleyes:

I don't remember ever flat out saying your spa was a "bad spa". I don't think its a very high quality spa but then again you didn't pay a premium price so I won't say it's a bad deal. I will say I've seen Hydro Spas and don't believe they'll only cost $50/month in winter time (I don't mean winter in Arizona obviously) unless the owner does a VERY good job of reinsulating it.

i wonder if this guy sells hotsprings......I have a hot springs and it cost more than 25 a month.....where do I collect on my garuntee?