Monthly Cost To Operate An Electrical Spa

kevinv18

I have the Infinity Sun Peak Spa. I am going to give it another month but if it makes my electric bill go up $100 plus a month it may not be worth it. I used to have a Hot Springs Classic and I don't remember it using nearly as much electricity but maybe I was used to it?

I, too, am worried about electric usage. My electric bill for August was close to $500 - and that was before I even got the tub. I try to conserve, but I have a wife and kids that leave the lights on, run the A/C with doors and windows open, etc.

I'm thinking about purchasing a metering device, however, the most popular ones only work with 120v. My spa is a direct wired 240v 60amp tub. I found this on e-bay:

Electric Usage Meter

I'd like to know exactly what my usage is. I'm afraid to get my September electric bill. I know the first monthly bill post tub install is going to be high because the 5500 watt heater ran constantly for about 6 hours until the 70 degree water made its way up to 100 degrees.

Ken

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, too, am worried about electric usage. My electric bill for August was close to $500 - and that was before I even got the tub. I try to conserve, but I have a wife and kids that leave the lights on, run the A/C with doors and windows open, etc.

I'm thinking about purchasing a metering device

Pointy toed cowboy boots?

Crazy Arctic spa rep said his spa would maintain 104 degrees without a heater for weeks! I hope that isn't part of the sales training. Also what was interesting is on the demo Arctic spa where the panel was open to show the reflex torsion hose, I found a leak! HA HA HA rather funny I thought.

Ironic, to say the least. :P

The actual claim (as taught in sales training and as demonstrated in many a showroom) is that at room temperature (ambient 20 deg. C) the spa, covered and with doors closed, will maintain its temperature with the pumps running and the heater disconnected.

Would it do that for weeks? I guess, if you had an ambient temperature that kept an even 20 degrees for weeks, and ran the pumps all that time, it would probably work (at least until the leak drained all the water out. :rolleyes: ) Might not do your electricity bill any good.

Under warm conditions, just running the pumps can actually elevate the water temperature, which is why we have vented summer doors and a high-tech Spa Chiller for our warm-climate customers.

I hesitate to dip my toe into the shark infested waters, but here I go. Does anyone really know exactly what their tub costs to operate? Unless your tub is on a separate meter from anything else that draws electricity, you are just making an educated guess. Without a spa, my powerbill fluctuates drastically. The fridge was open more, we did more laundry, took longer showers, etc. There is no possible way that a spa manufacturer could guarantee your power consumption. I bet there is plenty of fine print with that offer. I noticed it said something about inquiring about the details. As far as a spa that costs $0 a month to operate, that is very possible. Just make sure it's not plugged in!

I have no idea what my spa costs me to run every month. With the way my electric rates have risen, what it originally cost is much different than what it costs today. I figure my spa vs the HotSpring equivalent, or any other equal spa...same volume, same HP on pumps, same kw heater, full foam, same style cover...I can't imagine how one could cost significantly more or less to operate.

Wow, you guys have me scared about getting my new tub. Here in drought-free, wildfire-free, brownout-free Ohio, my electric bill for the month of July (with the A/C running the whole month) was a whopping $91.20!! With my power company gouging me for 6.3 cents per KWH (according to my bill), I think I'm going to go broke FAST! I'd better hurry up and move to the west coast like everybody else: the cost of life may be higher, but at least there's more traffic, smog, and governators to make up for it...

In New England my cost is approx $30-$50 per month during the cold months.

I use spa every day for 40 minutes at a time, and more than a few days I am in twice.

Your cost is going to depend on how often you need to add water, chemicals , drain/refill, outside temp, how long you use it, are you going to just sit and soak or will you run all of the pumps and last how much does your electric cost per kilowatt

Wish my manufacture gave me a $25. per month guarantee like someone posted because I would never have to use my cover in the winter and send them the bill.

Hope you enjoy your spa