Costco/internet Vs Brick And Mortars

flibotte

All this talk about the Costco/Internet tubs has me wondering if any of the larger established spa makers are considering or planning on getting into online sales. Not to say I think that the show rooms should go away but I’m sure as time goes by more and more people will start to buy them online. I realize that the market share for the internet tubs is low but I’m sure it will increase as people become more comfortable with the brands and as quality increases. I’d love to hear any thoughts from the people who work at some of the dealers.

All this talk about the Costco/Internet tubs has me wondering if any of the larger established spa makers are considering or planning on getting into online sales. Not to say I think that the show rooms should go away but I’m sure as time goes by more and more people will start to buy them online. I realize that the market share for the internet tubs is low but I’m sure it will increase as people become more comfortable with the brands and as quality increases. I’d love to hear any thoughts from the people who work at some of the dealers.

Shhhhhhhhhh!............................You will have them jumping off buildings with talk like that.

Are you suggesting the intenet is here to stay?

The answer is yes. You will see some of the large manufacturers selling over the internet. This is in the process of happening right now.

I think all manufacturers will have to look at some type of internet program to stay competitive.

In my opinion you will never see the retail stores go out of business and the main reason is service. Spas are mechanical items that do breakdown and most customers like to have customer support.

That is the weak link in the big box store sales program as well as the current internet sales.

Our world is changing and so is the way people purchase items. There are certain items that I purchase over the internet but there are also things that I would never buy from a web site such as a spa. On the other hand as you read through the forum you will see that there are people out there that are comfortable making purchases knowing upfront that there may be no customer support on their purchases and they are able to buy at a cheaper price.

I'm just a consumer, but to be honest I'm surprised there are not more independent sources of information about hot tubs on the internet. I consider a hot tub purchase analagous to buying a car; a high ticket item that is not purchased often, and is (somewhat) mechanically/electrically complicated, thus requiring a good reliability track record and good dealer/local support.

With all of the information for cars out there, it totally boggles my mind that there don't seem to be analogues in this market.

-Independent pricing guidelines: Of course it varies by region, but places such as Kelly's Blue Book, Edmunds, etc. can give you an idea of 'fair market value' for your area.

-Independent quality evaluations: J.D. Power, Consumer Reports, Edmunds, etc. all give breakdowns of pros and cons from independent non-affiliated experts.

Given the nature of the item, I see hot tubs as something that will continue to be sold locally, but I'd expect the Internet will eventually increase competition and force manufacturers to subject themselves to more outside evaluation of their products.

I totally agree with you that the current box store/internet spa market is at a big disadvantage when it comes to service. That’s why I think the big boys could be so successful selling online. You already have the infrastructure in-place to service them not to mention name recognition. I think someone would be a lot more comfortable buying a spa online from HotSprings or Sundance then say Keys or Hydro. I defiantly think they are missing out by not selling online.

As for comfort with buying a spa online, I agree that right now there are a lot of people that may be leery of buying a spa online but as time goes by that will change. I’ve been an E Commerce consultant for 10 years and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in a meeting with a company and they say people will never get a mortgage, car, electronics, or what ever online and 6 months to a year later they are calling us back because a competitor is doing it and they want to get into the game. I remember in the mid 90s when I was with Travelocity and we were at a big travel conference and all the travel agent would come up and laugh “because no one is ever gonna book a vacation or cruise online” I’m guessing they are not laughing now.

I totally agree with you that the current box store/internet spa market is at a big disadvantage when it comes to service. That’s why I think the big boys could be so successful selling online. You already have the infrastructure in-place to service them not to mention name recognition. I think someone would be a lot more comfortable buying a spa online from HotSprings or Sundance then say Keys or Hydro. I defiantly think they are missing out by not selling online.

As for comfort with buying a spa online, I agree that right now there are a lot of people that may be leery of buying a spa online but as time goes by that will change. I’ve been an E Commerce consultant for 10 years and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in a meeting with a company and they say people will never get a mortgage, car, electronics, or what ever online and 6 months to a year later they are calling us back because a competitor is doing it and they want to get into the game. I remember in the mid 90s when I was with Travelocity and we were at a big travel conference and all the travel agent would come up and laugh “because no one is ever gonna book a vacation or cruise online” I’m guessing they are not laughing now.

The thing that makes me leary of certain purchases over the internet is the games that are played. Let me give you an example. I needed a new lens for my camera so I tried to buy one locally and couldnt find what I wanted. I got on the internet and started looking around and foundwhat I wanted but I noticed there were some big price differences on some of the web sites. Fotunately for me I didnt order from the cheaper sites as I found out that some of the sites sell what is called grey market products. I had no idea what that was so after checking I found that they sell products that were produced for another market such as Japan and when you get the product everything including instructions, warranty, even cords for electronic items are made for Japan. Then when you call the dealer they tell you well for this amount we can sell you the american version of instructions etc.

That was a real wakeup call as I almost bought from one of these sites.

I'm just a consumer, but to be honest I'm surprised there are not more independent sources of information about hot tubs on the internet. I consider a hot tub purchase analagous to buying a car; a high ticket item that is not purchased often, and is (somewhat) mechanically/electrically complicated, thus requiring a good reliability track record and good dealer/local support.

With all of the information for cars out there, it totally boggles my mind that there don't seem to be analogues in this market.

-Independent pricing guidelines: Of course it varies by region, but places such as Kelly's Blue Book, Edmunds, etc. can give you an idea of 'fair market value' for your area.

-Independent quality evaluations: J.D. Power, Consumer Reports, Edmunds, etc. all give breakdowns of pros and cons from independent non-affiliated experts.

Given the nature of the item, I see hot tubs as something that will continue to be sold locally, but I'd expect the Internet will eventually increase competition and force manufacturers to subject themselves to more outside evaluation of their products.

I think this is a where there is a very very large mis-understanding so many people try and lump cars and hot tubs as a shared buying experience. The Hot Tub markets and the sub markets it generates are of very very little value to the over all economy and is simply much to small of a market to have the kind of regulations and influence that autos do. Many people simply have no idea as to the vast reaches that the auto industry has on the over all economy. Also people know about cars having ridden in one all of their life's yet very few know anything about spas. With spas the market is to small and the dollars are not there to support it in the way autos can. There are about 17 million new cars alone sold each year in this country and about 400,000 Hot Tubs. Carpet or tile or wood floors for a home dwarf Hot Tubs as market and cost about the same on average as a more expensive spa does. What I am saying is that there many other things that effect many more people than spas and that is why to a certain degree they fly under the radar so to speak.

I consider a hot tub purchase analagous to buying a car; a high ticket item that is not purchased often, and is (somewhat) mechanically/electrically complicated, thus requiring a good reliability track record and good dealer/local support.

I guess I disagree that a Hot Tub is like buying a car. For one thing a car is upwards of 20-30 G's for an inexpensive one to 40-50 for a mid range. And spa's are 5-10 grand. A vehicle has quite a few more safety issues and can endanger others on the road where a spa kinda only endangers those who purchased it. And a vehicle is a thousand times more complicated than a Hot Tub.

But I do agree, I to wish there was an independent evaluation out there. I think the reason is that there isn't enough money involved in Hot Tubs unlike Vehicles.

Ok, ok, so I'm wrong :P Spas are much rarer than cars, and cater to a different market (generally a luxury item).

One thing I will say, when I first started investigating hot tubs, it was *really* frustrating to me at the lack of information out there. I like to be an educated consumer, and that's hard to do in the hot tub market. However, after spending some time on the boards and visiting dealers, I came to the conclusion that most of the major dealers are selling good products at a reasonable margin. Even if most of them do think their products rule and all the competitors suck ;)

Ok, ok, so I'm wrong :P Spas are much rarer than cars, and cater to a different market (generally a luxury item).

One thing I will say, when I first started investigating hot tubs, it was *really* frustrating to me at the lack of information out there. I like to be an educated consumer, and that's hard to do in the hot tub market. However, after spending some time on the boards and visiting dealers, I came to the conclusion that most of the major dealers are selling good products at a reasonable margin. Even if most of them do think their products rule and all the competitors suck ;)

Thats pretty much how you have to look at it, assume all dealers and brands are equal then start opening a few hoods and kicking a few tires until you find the spa that's right for you. There not that complicated inside and most dealers will let you look inside, and if they can't explain how it works from the inside find someone who can give you conciece information regarding the inside. Get a feel for the dealers reputation from other owners and from your gut feeling when you meet them. And this is something you won't get from the big box stores or the internet. And if what the dealer can give you is important to you then it is probably worth the extra cost involved in his overhead, that he has to add on to his tub price.

There is no dout that what a local dealer can give you is important to alot of people. But there are also those who feel they don't need the "extra" that a dealer has for you. Those folks may do just fine with an internet purchased tub or a big box type tub. The problem that often comes up is when someone purchases from a big box or the internet and expects what a local dealer gives you in local service. That's when they are dissapointed. But if you expect to look at it yourself and pop a new part in if there is a problem you will get a great deal.

Thats pretty much how you have to look at it, assume all dealers and brands are equal then start opening a few hoods and kicking a few tires until you find the spa that's right for you. There not that complicated inside and most dealers will let you look inside, and if they can't explain how it works from the inside find someone who can give you conciece information regarding the inside. Get a feel for the dealers reputation from other owners and from your gut feeling when you meet them. And this is something you won't get from the big box stores or the internet. And if what the dealer can give you is important to you then it is probably worth the extra cost involved in his overhead, that he has to add on to his tub price.

There is no dout that what a local dealer can give you is important to alot of people. But there are also those who feel they don't need the "extra" that a dealer has for you. Those folks may do just fine with an internet purchased tub or a big box type tub. The problem that often comes up is when someone purchases from a big box or the internet and expects what a local dealer gives you in local service. That's when they are dissapointed. But if you expect to look at it yourself and pop a new part in if there is a problem you will get a great deal.

I agree, there are some large tub manufacturers already selling tubs on the internet. Only it's hard for the customer to "test drive" it that way. Also buying from a reputable local dealer will mean faster and better service.

I agree, there are some large tub manufacturers already selling tubs on the internet. Only it's hard for the customer to "test drive" it that way. Also buying from a reputable local dealer will mean faster and better service.

Sitting in the tub to see if it is compfortable is nice especially when you are spending that much money

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great spa!! I wish I could sell them off my stores showroom floor! The spa consultant gets screwed again!!

Oh come on, you've got much better spas on your showroom floor than costcos whimpy attempt at selling a premium spa. If you don't believe that, you don't deserve to sell the superior product you do.

Ask and ye shall receive:

IPB Image

Highlife 1 Man- 5 Women Spa from the Makers of HotSpring

$5,699.00

Available online at costco.com

Come and get 'em!

Terminator

I am sure you are able to sit in them at Cotsco's but no warranty that sucks. I would rather buy a hot tub from the dealer even if it is 2000 more for the same model. LOL

I am sure you are able to sit in them at Cotsco's but no warranty that sucks. I would rather buy a hot tub from the dealer even if it is 2000 more for the same model. LOL

Well, buy the Costco tub and use it for 2 years then return it for full refund. Who else could you get that kind of deal from, and you don't even need an excuse to return it.

Well, buy the Costco tub and use it for 2 years then return it for full refund. Who else could you get that kind of deal from, and you don't even need an excuse to return it.

You remind me of a neighbor I used to have who bought everthing from wal mart, used it for 30 days and took it back.

You remind me of a neighbor I used to have who bought everthing from wal mart, used it for 30 days and took it back.

Is the warranty for a Cotsco's tub 1 year? I thought it was 1 not 2 years. If so that would be a great idea to use 1 or 2 years return it than go for the real deal and by then they might carry a different line. I know they used to sell Elite now Hot springs. haha cool