Enclosing Spa Or Not...

Silver1

Debating right now on deck design around and to the hot tub. I am leaning towards enclosing it (Gazebo) style with roof and screens, the wife wants it left open.. What are your thoughts. Pros and Cons please!

Shoveling snow off it :angry: other then that open all the way ;)

I say leave it open....nothing like laying your head back and gazing at the stars...if in fact you can see stars from the location you have your tub. I can also see advantages of closing it in....mainly shoveling snow off it....but here in Florida we never get to see the white stuff! Either way just make your wife happy...if not thats all you will hear when you are trying to get your soak on. :) Pics...before and after are always good....

I say leave it open....nothing like laying your head back and gazing at the stars...if in fact you can see stars from the location you have your tub. I can also see advantages of closing it in....mainly shoveling snow off it....but here in Florida we never get to see the white stuff! Either way just make your wife happy...if not thats all you will hear when you are trying to get your soak on. :) Pics...before and after are always good....

yes pics yes pics!!

yes pics yes pics!!

Leave it open. Most gazebos are crap anyway, unless you hire a contractor to build one on site. So much better out in the open. :D

In California I don't get snow so that's not a concern. I have mine protected by two sides of my house and the other two sides are open. It gives it a nice wind break and a little privacy. I have a roof over the top, so I kind of have the best of both worlds. Where we lived before, our hot tub was in a raised deck under the stars and surrounded by Redwood trees and no neighbors. That was pretty nice, even in the rain. I loved looking up at shooting stars in a Redwood grove, but living back in town and having a semi-protected spa isn't too bad either. I vote for making the wife happy......... :rolleyes:

In California I don't get snow so that's not a concern. I have mine protected by two sides of my house and the other two sides are open. It gives it a nice wind break and a little privacy. I have a rood over the top, so I kind of have the best of both worlds. Where we lived before, our hot tub was in a raised deck under the stars and surrounded by Redwood trees and no neighbors. That was pretty nice, even in the rain. I loved looking up at shooting stars in a Redwood grove, but living back in town and having a semi-protected spa isn't too bad either. I vote for making the wife happy......... :rolleyes:

Making the wife happy is an excellent idea!

Debating right now on deck design around and to the hot tub. I am leaning towards enclosing it (Gazebo) style with roof and screens, the wife wants it left open.. What are your thoughts. Pros and Cons please!

Hot-tubs that are inclosed in gazebos tend to hold up and last longer than tubs left exposed. The sun and the rain wear tubs down fast, especially if negelected.

I am a big fan of having the hot tub out in the open. There is nothing better on a snowy night to be sitting under the stars enjoying a soak. It's one of the main reasons I purchcased a hot tub.

If your views are nothing spectacular and/or your not that enthralled with star gazing, or snowy soaks, or perhaps there is a privacy issue, or maybe this is a therapy tub and must be available on riany days?....then a gazebo could work. I've seen nice installs, and I've seen some cheesy installs as well. (and that can go for non gazebo installs as well).

My tub has the permawood side panels, so I'm not concerned with weathering too much. If you have wood, I'd make sure to keep it up every year. I think the worst looking tubs are wood that hasn't been properly taken care of.

You can always upgrade to a gazebo later on...Perhaps give it a year to see and think on and dcide on the design? (or is this a situation of "if we don't do it now, it will never get done?")

we are looking into an unbrella. you can use the tub in the rain and snow. when it snows you will get wet"your head" since the snow melts when it hits the steam.

something to think about.

John 104 Degrees

we are looking into an unbrella. you can use the tub in the rain and snow. when it snows you will get wet"your head" since the snow melts when it hits the steam.

John 104 Degrees

how about a nice pergola.....its somewhere in between open and closed

John 104 Degrees

Heres another good idea.

That was option number 3. Like the looks of it but no actual benefit as far as sun, snow or rain protection... well maybe a little sun protection.

I am just wondering if I will actually want to use it in the rain... now I would but that is probably just cause it is new, that will probably die off in time...

I am just wondering if I will actually want to use it in the rain...

We're new to tubbing but haven't missed a day or night of it since we installed about 7 or 8 weeks ago. We live in Maine and this time of year we have one problem that's hard to get around. BUGS...namely mosquitoes. I figured that the bubbling hot water would drive them off but NO frickin' way. We've tried a few 'potions' in the water such as essential oils and that has worked to a degree.

As an experiment we purchased a 10' x 10' canvas gazebo with mosquito netting. While we don't have the same "Open Air" feeling that we used to have we have some added bennies. The Skeets are no longer an issue.....and when it Rains...and we've had some downpours here lately... we can just lay back and listen to it.

The gazebo is an experiment, it only cost us $100. A small price compared to the thousands we'd spend building a permanent structure.

Ive used a fan with very good results.

We're new to tubbing but haven't missed a day or night of it since we installed about 7 or 8 weeks ago. We live in Maine and this time of year we have one problem that's hard to get around. BUGS...namely mosquitoes. I figured that the bubbling hot water would drive them off but NO frickin' way. We've tried a few 'potions' in the water such as essential oils and that has worked to a degree.

As an experiment we purchased a 10' x 10' canvas gazebo with mosquito netting. While we don't have the same "Open Air" feeling that we used to have we have some added bennies. The Skeets are no longer an issue.....and when it Rains...and we've had some downpours here lately... we can just lay back and listen to it.

The gazebo is an experiment, it only cost us $100. A small price compared to the thousands we'd spend building a permanent structure.

You will :D

Wouldn't you get wet if you used it in the rain?

I live in Québec, Canada.

The needs:

1) Privacy (very close neighbor)

2) Mosquitoes at night

3) Snow and wind in winter and rain the rest of the year

4) Want to see the star

5) Protection again very sunny days

6) A place to get undress (in winter) and to put towel (heater)

7) A shower near the spa.

The solution I choose is an adaptable one. (Under construction)

A) Build a permanent 10'x6'x7'H house next to the spa with hot shower, bench, towel heater, etc....

B) Build a permanent 10'x8'x8'H frame made of 4"x4" treated wood around the spa.

C) Build removable wall for the spa frame (Made like the permanent wall of the cabin. See the picture).

D) Build a sliding roof over the spa. (Made with 5 collapsing sections of 2' x 8' of hard plastic and wood frame.)

E) Make a big mosquitoes nest made of white veil to fit in the frame. For the privacy also.

F) Build a special rolling cover holder to easy remove the cover inside the frame.

spa31.JPG

spa33.JPG

spa41.JPG