The Wet Test

Mr. Ed

I've narrowed my search to a few tubs and I've called a couple of dealers to set up a wet test.

The first one I called told me that it would take a day to fill the tub I'm interested in and get it ready. She even asked what temperature I preferred. We made an appointment, and I went over a day later and tried out the tub for about half an hour. The sales woman and her manager were there to answer questions, of course, but they gave me all the time I wanted to play around in the tub. It was what I expected after reading this forum, and I was impressed with their professionalism (and I liked the tub).

Today I called another dealer (different brand) and got a completely different story. He told me that he had one tub which he kept full of water and that I could try it if I wanted to, but he wouldn't fill the model that I was interested in. He told me that all of the jets in all of the models they sell are the same, so I could try them in the tub they keep filled. I said I wanted to get the feel of the specific tub, not just the jets, and that I wouldn't drive a hundred miles if I couldn't try it. We left it at that.

I plan to call another dealer tomorrow.

I know that many of the people on this forum are dealers and technicians. What do you think? If I am willing to work around a dealer's schedule, is it unreasonable to expect to wet test a tub that is going to cost thousands of dollars? Am I missing something? Isn't a wet test standard for a buyer who wants one?

Mr. Ed

I've narrowed my search to a few tubs and I've called a couple of dealers to set up a wet test.

I know that many of the people on this forum are dealers and technicians. What do you think? If I am willing to work around a dealer's schedule, is it unreasonable to expect to wet test a tub that is going to cost thousands of dollars? Am I missing something? Isn't a wet test standard for a buyer who wants one?

Mr. Ed

In this area if you are serious they will fill a tub for you. Alot has to do with what your conversation is with them when you ask. You have to be going to buy.

When I was wet testing 1.5-2 years ago, I got very excited when a dealer (happened to be Sundance) opened his doors close to me. I approached him about a wet test and he asked me what I was talking about. On a subsequent visit, he told me his Sundance rep advised against wet tests so they would not be allowing wet tests in their store. Guess which brand of spa I did not buy. Understand this dealer could have represented any spa manufacturer and in no way is this a knock on Sundance. I bought my spa from a dealer that welcomed my wet test. Buy a car without a test drive? I think not. Buy a spa without a wet test? No way.

I'm just a consumer, but I've had varied experiences. Most dealers in my area do allow, and most encourage, a wet test. A lot of them will let you jump in the filled tubs anytime during working hours, at least one place I went offered (without me asking) to schedule an after-hours appointment so that I could try the tub for an hour in solitude, which I really liked. I only had one dealer that tried to minimize the importance of a wet test with me, and gave me the same line you got (the tubs are all the same, just use the filled model), which, similar to you, soured my opinion of that dealer.

Buy a car without a test drive?

This is my thought as well. You are making a major purchase that you are supposed to be satisfied with for years to come. If a car dealer told you that you could test drive only one vehicle because that was the only one with gas in it, would you buy the other model based on how that one drove? I doubt it. Heck, even furniture stores let you try out mattresses before you buy them and they are (usually) a fraction of the cost of a tub.

This is my thought as well. You are making a major purchase that you are supposed to be satisfied with for years to come. If a car dealer told you that you could test drive only one vehicle because that was the only one with gas in it, would you buy the other model based on how that one drove? I doubt it. Heck, even furniture stores let you try out mattresses before you buy them and they are (usually) a fraction of the cost of a tub.

There is a bit more involved in filling a spa, hooking it up and then draining it, than letting someone lie on a matress

The dealer we chose to buy from normally closed at 6:30pm but said she would stay open late for us (work would not let us get there before closing time). She did not rush us, we did our wet-test and didn't leave until 8:30pm.

The first dealer we went to seemed in a rush, did not offer wet-test (though it looked as though it was available to us) and was not very professional in dress or vocabulary, thus we did not return to his store.

There is a bit more involved in filling a spa, hooking it up and then draining it, than letting someone lie on a matress

Very true, but i also compared it to buying a car. Going into any major purchase, you should know what you are getting into. Buying a house you look at electrical, age, when the roof was done, type of heating and how old, you look at the foundation, walk through it, check out the size of rooms, the heating costs, any problems with the house, etc . . . but we're not buying a house here either, i know . . . the point is, would you make any major purchase without KNOWING it will suit you?

How true.....and it's one more consideration that separates the mediocre retailer from the top-of-the-line retailer.

That is a good point but if you have similar seating styles in alot of your tubs that wouldn't be neccessary filling a spa just to let someone wet test.

Delaware, and electric is brutal anywhere these days

I understand that but long island has a monopoly and electric is very high especially commercial. We dont really need to fill 4 spa's because the 2 that we have filled gives a great idea of what we have.

I understand that but long island has a monopoly and electric is very high especially commercial. We dont really need to fill 4 spa's because the 2 that we have filled gives a great idea of what we have.

Would you fill a spa for a customer to wet test though

That is a good point but if you have similar seating styles in alot of your tubs that wouldn't be neccessary filling a spa just to let someone wet test.

I see your point about similar tubs (up to a point), but I want a round tub, which is really different from the much more common square tubs with contoured seats. The Beachcomber dealer, who doesn't want to fill a Beachcomber 320x for me, wants me try one of his square tubs. I don't think so!