How Do You Find Salt Water Filtration For A Spa?

We've just bought an Artic Tundra Ultra Spa, and have decided to purchase the salt water filtration system for it. Does anyone currently have this type of system, and if so what do you think of it.

We also opted for the Northern Lights as well. Again if anyone has this, how do you find it.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Here's my opinion.

You put salt in the water. You have to measure it and keep it at the correct levels. That is just about the same as putting Bromine into your water. I don't see a real advantage. Proponents of the salt systems will say it is much easier to keep the salt levels right. Conversely, if you use Dichlor, you shouldn't really have trouble keeping the chlorine levels right - most of my customers don't either.

You have an electronic device which cracks the salt into chlorine or bromine. That device has a finite life. The people who sell these things tell us that the life of the cell is now much longer than the old days. They tell us that they come with five year warranties, but that you may have to replace the first cell at two to three years. I don't see that as a good thing - but you might.

I don't know if the the UL/ETL listing remains in place if you put one of these items on a spa. That would be up to the maker of the tub, and the maker of the unit. HotSpring (Tiger River, Caldera, Hot Spot, Solana) does not recognize any systems other than it's own AutoFresh system and it's own FreshWater III systems at this time. Other makers have set up alliances with other companies. Do your homework here - you don't want to void the warranty on your spa. You also may not wish to attach an electical device which is a non-ETL/UL listed device to a tub of water you are about to put your family into.

You will be soaking in chlorinated or brominated water. The salt is not the sanitizer. It is there to form a reserve from which the device creates chlorine or bromine. The level of salt is low - you generally don't smell, feel or taste it, but it is there, and needs to be measured and adjusted.They tell you that it will be less than the salt levels of your tears, but of course, if the level of chlorine is real low, then the water is no more safe than any other system.

Some peole rave about them. They usually seem to be people who sell them, although there are folk here and on other boards who do use them and enjoy them.

I like them on swimming pools -

B)

• 2 weeks later...

For a spa the use of Salt is counterintuitive.

A spa should be emptied once a month depending on usage as the water can build up toxins the chemicals cannot destroy. For commercial spas they should be emptied weekly.

This being the case there is little to no advantage at all in using a salt system on any spa at all.

Wow, once a month? I've seen some calculators online that tell you how often you should dump your water, and they usually say every 3-12 months depending on usage. I ended up draining every six months or so, and usually it was fine. Monthly seems like a lot, unless you have really, really heavy usage.

If a UV sterilizer(not UV ozone) is installed with the equipment would you still be recommending a once a month water change which is very costly and in my opinion waste full.

I do sell salt systems I find they work great but only for 2 years so far so I cannot comment on long term use yet.

I have also taken water from a sodium bromide filled tub after 8 months brought it to a local testing facility $150 at a request from a customer who had seen stories on the web & was found that there were no traces of water born pathogens and the bacteria level was close to the same as the municipal water level.

This year I have been selling tubs with our system-3 sanitation which includes Genesis system, Ozone & UV sterilizer. So far everyone has been raving about the system.

Chlorine and bromine are known carcinogens. This is fact.

You really need to consider what you put against your skin. Salt water generators make chlorine.

There are other methods that do not use chlorine or bromine as the primary sanitizer that are much better for skin, environment, and for the earth.

Chlorine and bromine are known carcinogens. This is fact.

I'd say it's a debatable assertion, rather than an established fact. Jim seems to be referring to this Green Guide but he may have other information.

Other reports I've seen are that some chlorine and bromine compounds are suspected carcinogens in drinking water in high concentrations, and of course many people have sensitivity to the halogens.

Some of the alternatives, such as biguanides, hydrogen peroxide, and metal ions, no doubt have their own problems, as does ozone.

It's an important issue that might be worth looking at. Jim, why not start a new thread on this, maybe in the Water Care section?

If I am not mistaken Jim sells ionizer units that put copper into the water. Hardly a chemical free or 'green" system! These systems still need a residual sanitizer in the water (usually chlorine) for proper sanitation because the kill times for metal ions are very slow and in a spa you need fast kill times since water borne pathogens will multiply quickly at the elevated temperatures which spas operate.