dropped something down into pipe when filter was off

Big Mack

Shoot me !   We pulled the filter off of our Dream maker spa, and tried to stick the shop vac down through the spring loaded hinged cap.   Unfortunately, the little removable head to the hose dropped down into the pipe below, and now we can't get it the hell out !   Ahhh !     Cant get fingers down there, can't shop vac it out.  the cage cylinder  over which you slide the filter filter does not seem to screw off.  Any ideas?

Sincerely, 

Alber Einstein 

Things like that have a way of making it all the way to the face of the pump so if you can't see it that is the first place I would check. You could also modify your shop vac hose with some tape and use some 3/8" hose or 1/2" hose so you can get deeper into the plumbing but still have suction. You might get lucky. Disconnect the union at the face of the motor and work it from both ends. You might have to remove the pump to get in there. Some spas the pump is on the suction side of the heater meaning that the water gets pulled through the heater tube before getting to the pump. If so check the incoming side of the heater tube. Had a job this week with a big chunk of filter end lodged into the heater tube. Let us know results

OK, so that was my dumbass husband who posted this problem.  I'm his dumb wife, and I just took a towel and grabbled the filter cager and once you get a grip (he needs to get a grip) it screws right off, and once it's off, I just took the shop vac (my husband says only women should ever be trusted with a vacuum) and as soon as I matched it to the opening   ....blink!  ..you could hear the little shop vac head landing in the shop vac tub.  Problem solved.  Too many of these men now days are running around in suits and ties and clicking mouses in there stupid offices.  What ever happened to the guys that could fix **** around the house.  And they wonder why we're taking over their world?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Big Mack said:

What ever happened to the guys that could fix **** around the house.

We're still out there, we've just learned to keep a low profile or everyone we know will be asking us to do **** for them. I, unfortunately, learned too late to fool MY wife. It sounds like your hubby is wiser than I.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a project for my wife I am working on...🤪

14 hours ago, Big Mack said:

What ever happened to the guys that could fix **** around the house?

The neighbor women ask them to help. 

I recently helped woman 2 houses down order an aftermarket right-side mirror for her Toyota, and paint it to match.  She said Toyota dealer wanted $1000 !!!  Total cost to her was about $100 for mirror and matching paint. I had the necessary 10mm deep socket, quite easy R&R.

22 hours ago, Cusser said:

The neighbor women ask them to help. 

I recently helped woman 2 houses down order an aftermarket right-side mirror for her Toyota, and paint it to match.  She said Toyota dealer wanted $1000 !!!  Total cost to her was about $100 for mirror and matching paint. I had the necessary 10mm deep socket, quite easy R&R.

You still have a 10mm socket? All mine disappear mysteriously.

• 1 year later...
On 3/28/2021 at 6:36 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Things like that have a way of making it all the way to the face of the pump so if you can't see it that is the first place I would check. You could also modify your shop vac hose with some tape and use some 3/8" hose or 1/2" hose so you can get deeper into the plumbing but still have suction. You might get lucky. Disconnect the union at the face of the motor and work it from both ends. You might have to remove the pump to get in there. Some spas the pump is on the suction side of the heater meaning that the water gets pulled through the heater tube before getting to the pump. If so check the incoming side of the heater tube. Had a job this week with a big chunk of filter end lodged into the heater tube. Let us know results

On 3/28/2021 at 7:40 PM, Big Mack said:

OK, so that was my dumbass husband who posted this problem.  I'm his dumb wife, and I just took a towel and grabbled the filter cager and once you get a grip (he needs to get a grip) it screws right off, and once it's off, I just took the shop vac (my husband says only women should ever be trusted with a vacuum) and as soon as I matched it to the opening   ....blink!  ..you could hear the little shop vac head landing in the shop vac tub.  Problem solved.  Too many of these men now days are running around in suits and ties and clicking mouses in there stupid offices.  What ever happened to the guys that could fix **** around the house.  And they wonder why we're taking over their world?

MY dumbass husband just pulled filter without turning our hot tub off as I asked & he should’ve done & I didn’t realize until pump kicked in & scum sucker disappeared. After viewing advice above I suggested he try the shop vac (after he had the panel off to stare at all the pipes). Well it worked on first fill of vacuum canister so I’m thrilled. Thank you so much! It’s a regular occurrence around here to not do things properly & then bigger more expensive problems emerge. And relative to later comments on this thread, he is neither handsome or handy or has a lick of common sense. 🤪😏😟

• Haha 1