Troubleshooting new freshwater salt system in hot springs

Bummed

2 week old tub, have the salt Levels at the correct range 

have my output set at the max (10) round the clock. 

still, chlorine levels drop to 0 after every 2 days. I’ve been using granular chlorine to bring levels back to 5 ppm, but the salt system doesn’t seem to be ramped up yet. 

ph is 7.2, alk 80, hardness 75

Your calcium hardness is borderline high.  You need to limit the use of granular chlorine.  It contains CYA (cyanuric acid) which over time as it builds up could cause a chlorine lock.  If you need to supplement with chlorine more than occasionally use regular bleach or liquid pool shock.

most important question, have you had your phosphates tested?  High phosphates are the issue probably 75% of the time.  

• Like 2

Could be biofilm in the pipes. You should purge with Ahh-Some spa purge. New tubs are notorious for gunk growing in the pipes because they wet-test them at the factory before storing and shipping with water still in the pipes. A biofilm will eat up chlorine as fast as you can make it.

• Like 2

Don't know about lock but I've aimed for 30-40ppm in mine. I've read around the forums and believe above those numbers causes issues so would say yes from my little knowledge.

P.s. I have training wheels on still so don't take my word for it. @RDspaguy has helped me loads in my quest for balance and clean water 🙂

CYA at 150 is really high, especially for a 2-3 week old hot tub.  That is why I discourage dichlor use with my customers.  I give my customers a gallon of liquid pool shock and recommend using 4oz on start up.  Re-test after 24 hours and if there is less than 3-5ppm chlorine repeat the process.  Do this daily until you have 3-5ppm chlorine.  There is always a higher chlorine demand with a fresh fill and more so with a new hot tub.  I would have your dealer also test for phosphates and remove if present in high amounts.

When your water isn't ideal (high phosphates, high hardness, high CYA) you are pretty much destined for failure.

Pool shock can be either 10% or 12.5% chlorine.  Bleach will be 4-6%.  They are the same chemical, just different strengths.  If you use bleach avoid any that are scented or splash-less, basically, use regular bleach only.  Also, keep in mind liquid chlorine can degrade and weaken over time.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TerrenceJill said:

Hello! What a usual topic. I am a spa owner, and in the past, there were some problems with the new freshwater salt system in hot springs, so I understand you. https://byrossi.com/fix-a-leak-for-hot-tubs/ has changed my life forever. They have the most modern freshwater salt systems in that area. And 2 easy-to-replace filter cartridges for clean, refreshing spa water. It is the best choice for your business.

Fix a leak changed your life forever?

• Haha 2

• 3 years later...