Should I Keep My Tub At One Set Temp?

Brackneyc

Brackneyc, I see that none of the replies above address your concern about electric usage. We have a large Masterspa, 1300 gals with a timer that turns things off for many hours of the day.* When it's off for 10 hrs it loses only one or two degrees and jumps back up within an hour of switching on.

Almost everyone believes you should cycle your furnace to go down or a/c to go off when you're not home or in bed at night.

I gather that you've not yet determined how much this tub is going to cost for electric. For us it was a big item and the timer saves us a lot.* A night timer might save you money as well.

Note that because we have so much water with ozonator the hours the spa is not circulating hasn't made problems for the chems and clarity. This might be different for a smaller spa used more frequently.

Also, we have ours at 100 - 101, more is too hot for me, though my wife likes the warmer. How wedded are you to 103? (nice pun, yes?) For a twice daily dip? Two degrees less will save you much on your furnace, may work in the tub as well. I would suggest a timer to control this rather than worrying about 'turning it down' nightly.

*Note: With 30 solar panels for electric we are on a time of use metering system with Pacific Gas & Electric. In Summer we sell them juice for 30 cents a kwh during the day, then buy it back at night for 10 cents. So we cut off during the day, but you might cut off at night if you have constant billing.

Brackneyc, I see that none of the replies above address your concern about electric usage. We have a large Masterspa, 1300 gals with a timer that turns things off for many hours of the day.* When it's off for 10 hrs it loses only one or two degrees and jumps back up within an hour of switching on.

Almost everyone believes you should cycle your furnace to go down or a/c to go off when you're not home or in bed at night.

I gather that you've not yet determined how much this tub is going to cost for electric. For us it was a big item and the timer saves us a lot.* A night timer might save you money as well.

Note that because we have so much water with ozonator the hours the spa is not circulating hasn't made problems for the chems and clarity. This might be different for a smaller spa used more frequently.

Also, we have ours at 100 - 101, more is too hot for me, though my wife likes the warmer. How wedded are you to 103? (nice pun, yes?) For a twice daily dip? Two degrees less will save you much on your furnace, may work in the tub as well. I would suggest a timer to control this rather than worrying about 'turning it down' nightly.

*Note: With 30 solar panels for electric we are on a time of use metering system with Pacific Gas & Electric. In Summer we sell them juice for 30 cents a kwh during the day, then buy it back at night for 10 cents. So we cut off during the day, but you might cut off at night if you have constant billing.

Much appeciated. I am only guesing on the temp due to using a hanging thermometer in the tub. Our controls are just a dial, so exact temp is not known. I know it is probably about 1-2 degrees hotter than I actually need it, but man it feels good. :) Are there timers available for hardwired tubs which do not have one built in? My only option right now (without addig a timer of some sort) is to manually turn it down. It was off for three hours Sunday, and it appeared to have only dropped 1 degree in three hours (top was on, and secured down). Again, only a guess. I went in it an hour later, and it was as hot as it ever is.

With the two of us here, our energy consumption is pretty low. I expect it to go up, but do not feel it necessary to throw money away if I can help it.

I use my tub twice a day (once after working out, and once before bed). It stays around 103 at all times. Am I doing it wrong? I do not want to wear things out prematurely, or run up a huge electric bill if I can avoid it.

For energy efficiency you won't notice a big difference on that particular tub. On a bigger tub or some of the other not so efficient tubs like those mentioned it could make a big difference.