Just Purchased My Spa

jwillard

After visiting pretty much every spa dealer in Orlando I just went out and purchased one from Costco. I have read all the boards, I have weeded through the bs from personal attacks on posters to legitimate posts and just wanted to come sign up to the board today.

I guess the main reason I purchased was the Platinum Elite had all the features I wanted at a discount price and with Costco's return policy I couldn’t go wrong. There is only one issue I had from purchasing this way and that was color selection but that’s really not a big issue.

It will be delivered tomorrow and the electrician is coming out Friday to wire. Once its all in place and set I will definitely come back and post my remarks and suggestions on this site.

I think that the topics on Hydro spas are covered up in a flame war and I got pretty tired of reading through the bs to find valid info....

The valid info I received was an honest opinion on a product. Not someone flaming another poster about his spelling and being a salesman for another spa company. If you look under some of the hydros spa/costco posts you can see for yourself the topic goes way off path in many of the post. In some of the post someone is almost immediately jumped on and accused of being a differant poster because it went against what they themselves posted. Pretty much the same as what you are trying to do...could be wrong but thats my impression.

I almost went out and purchased a vita spa but since this is my first I figured I couldnt go wrong with at least trying the Plat. Elite for the price. There is no spa dealer in town who can give me the same return policy costco gives. If I have any issue with it I will pay the company thats delivering it to snatch it right back out and take it back to costco. The most it will cost is $600 bucks, thats $300 round trip for delivery. I can surely afford to lose that amount in comparision to the price of a 8k to 10k spa.

The valid info I received was an honest opinion on a product. Not someone flaming another poster about his spelling and being a salesman for another spa company. If you look under some of the hydros spa/costco posts you can see for yourself the topic goes way off path in many of the post. In some of the post someone is almost immediately jumped on and accused of being a differant poster because it went against what they themselves posted. Pretty much the same as what you are trying to do...could be wrong but thats my impression.

I almost went out and purchased a vita spa but since this is my first I figured I couldnt go wrong with at least trying the Plat. Elite for the price. There is no spa dealer in town who can give me the same return policy costco gives. If I have any issue with it I will pay the company thats delivering it to snatch it right back out and take it back to costco. The most it will cost is $600 bucks, thats $300 round trip for delivery. I can surely afford to lose that amount in comparision to the price of a 8k to 10k spa.

The reality is it'll take many years before we can truly evaluate whether the Costco spas are a good, so-so, or poor value (low price, yes, good value TBD). Most owners are happy with their new spas but the test of a quality brand is to hear how owners regularly get 12, 15, 18 years use out of their spa with few issues but you can't fast forward and decide how this will stand the test of time. Of course there is no dealer there to help with questions, chems, insulation, warranty service, etc. but you knew that going in so you obviously factored that in (it'll help if you're the handy type person). There are worse choices out there and better ones IMO. Since you looked into this ahead of time I think you know the possible pitfalls and you obviously liked the price so you seem to have your eyes open.

Good luck and happy tubbing.

Thanks Spatech....that is the kind of post I like to read...one with a valid opinion and or fact. To be honest...I dont really care if it last 10 years for the cost. Since this is my first I figured why go all out, without at least having some knowledge. There are many nice spas out and it was a tuff decision, but to be honest I have read horror stories on just about every spa out there.

I love tinkering and could care less about service. If they want to send me the parts I will be more than happy to pop the side and do what I have to...thats one of the fun things about owning a spa or hobby.

I actually emailed Hydro a few weeks back to ask about service/warranty on a Friday. I have read receipts turned on so I know it was read on Friday and I received a reply back on Monday. Another big decision was they are located here in Florida and aren't that far from where I live. The company that is moving the spa is also a who provides service for them.

My observation is that as new posts get loaded, others go down the pipeline and get buried. So here's what I ask myself about a poster who comes on to shill a new product. Why are they posting and what is the motivation to praise or pan a product? You seemed to ask a question, but quickly ignored Roger's question when he asked you what valid info you had found on this site. You then moved quickly to the shill. Hyping your tub for no apparent reason.

And your last comment was hilarious. You think its fun to replace spa parts? There seem to be a lot of honest repair guys who do that for a living. That is why most people call it "work." So pity the poor average guy who listens to you and cracks open their Hydrospa only to void the warranty.

Thanks Spatech....that is the kind of post I like to read...one with a valid opinion and or fact. To be honest...I dont really care if it last 10 years for the cost. Since this is my first I figured why go all out, without at least having some knowledge. There are many nice spas out and it was a tuff decision, but to be honest I have read horror stories on just about every spa out there.

I love tinkering and could care less about service. If they want to send me the parts I will be more than happy to pop the side and do what I have to...thats one of the fun things about owning a spa or hobby.

I actually emailed Hydro a few weeks back to ask about service/warranty on a Friday. I have read receipts turned on so I know it was read on Friday and I received a reply back on Monday. Another big decision was they are located here in Florida and aren't that far from where I live. The company that is moving the spa is also a who provides service for them.

You love to tinker and could care less about service, that is quite an odd point of view. Do you have much experience working on spas yourself? Working on a spa is fun like a hobby? Another weird comment to make on the forum. I can see one saving grace to your purchase, living in Florida is going to be a blessing for you. The inferior insulation on your spa should not be much of a factor on your electricity bill in the warm climate. It sure makes you wonder when a newbie posts for no other apparent reason other than to tout a certain spa. It also seems pretty odd that about 95% of the time the spa they are touting is the Costco Platinum Elite Series by Hydrospa, a cheap lower end spa at best. Good Luck and happy tinkering.

The valid info I received was an honest opinion on a product.

Pretty much the same as what you are trying to do...could be wrong but thats my impression.

I think if you read back in my posts I gave nothing but truthfull information regarding the Costco brand, there longevity, and there value. Weve seen some interesting posts of late ragarding there energy effieciency, and you were armed with the information you recieved here. I am not a dealer and put the exact value on the Costco tub that it deserved.

Can I assume your honest opinion of the product came from an owner of a month, 6 months, a year? Because as ST said a value brand tub should give 5 trouble free years and very little trouble for another 5 minumum. Costco CAN NOT claim that yet!!

You WILL be happy with your tub as you should be, and please stick around for 5 years and keep us updated. Most of us seasoned posters have been here over 5 years and have seen to many fall off the radar to quickly. We do not have a Costco in my area but I have seen Hydro units at other box stores with different names. I have several in my repair circle.

My observation is that as new posts get loaded, others go down the pipeline and get buried. So here's what I ask myself about a poster who comes on to shill a new product. Why are they posting and what is the motivation to praise or pan a product? You seemed to ask a question, but quickly ignored Roger's question when he asked you what valid info you had found on this site. You then moved quickly to the shill. Hyping your tub for no apparent reason.

And your last comment was hilarious. You think its fun to replace spa parts? There seem to be a lot of honest repair guys who do that for a living. That is why most people call it "work." So pity the poor average guy who listens to you and cracks open their Hydrospa only to void the warranty.

Ok, let me fill in the blanks for you....

1. I am not hyping anything... before I buy anything I always research...that is how I found this site. I work for a software company here in Orlando...not anything to do with hot tubs

2. I didnt ignore Rogers post I simply stated what I received off this board...some peoples honest opinion of the Hydro Platinum Elite spa

3. I stated I like to tinker...If I void a warranty oh well! I did it on my truck, I did on my computer and just about everything else I like to tinker with. Wouldnt be afraid to do it on a spa. Not going to run right out and pop the side off...but if I had to I wouldnt sit on this board and whine about it.

I will post pictures to back up what I have purchased....

Looks like my post didnt nothing but chum the waters for people like you...

Let me know if I left something out....Since its my birthday today...turned 40, I might have forgot something! :)

You love to tinker and could care less about service, that is quite an odd point of view. Do you have much experience working on spas yourself? Working on a spa is fun like a hobby? Another weird comment to make on the forum. I can see one saving grace to your purchase, living in Florida is going to be a blessing for you. The inferior insulation on your spa should not be much of a factor on your electricity bill in the warm climate. It sure makes you wonder when a newbie posts for no other apparent reason other than to tout a certain spa. It also seems pretty odd that about 95% of the time the spa they are touting is the Costco Platinum Elite Series by Hydrospa, a cheap lower end spa at best. Good Luck and happy tinkering.

Nope, no experience on spa's. What I meant by that comment was that I wouldnt be the first time I worked on a product I had purchased. How else do you learn something other than going to school or actually doing it? Its called DIY.

Yep, living in FLorida is my saving grace!! I am a newbie because I came on here read all I could on different spas, filtered through the crap and since I bought one I figure I would join the forum and give MY HONEST OPINION.

What really makes me suspect of some of YOU is your high number of post and your determined agenda of slamming a certain spa. There is a difference between and honest opinion and a comment....if you owned one or worked on one that is a honest opinion....but if you havent....then you really are doing nothing but giving your comments on something you know absolutely nothing about.

Pics will follow....to prove I am just a consumer...nothing more...nothing less...what about you?

Some stuff on this site really makes me laugh.

Anyone who says something positive..and yes it appears to only happen when someone says it about the platinum spas, the same thing happens.

Is it a template that you guys copy from somewhere? Why do you even care? I have never gone into a thread where guys are talking about some other brand of spa, and spouted off stuff. I have once posted something on filter maintenance for another spa...but thats it.

I do comment in the PE II threads, since..well..i have one and i like it..and feel someone needs to speak from that side of things.

Anyway....gotta run..looking forward to testing power consumption of my PE II this weekend....but its going to be COLD!!! High of -17f and low of -35f!!!

Hope you enjoy your spa Jwillard.

Some stuff on this site really makes me laugh.

Anyone who says something positive..and yes it appears to only happen when someone says it about the platinum spas, the same thing happens.

Is it a template that you guys copy from somewhere? Why do you even care? I have never gone into a thread where guys are talking about some other brand of spa, and spouted off stuff. I have once posted something on filter maintenance for another spa...but thats it.

I do comment in the PE II threads, since..well..i have one and i like it..and feel someone needs to speak from that side of things.

Anyway....gotta run..looking forward to testing power consumption of my PE II this weekend....but its going to be COLD!!! High of -17f and low of -35f!!!

Hope you enjoy your spa Jwillard.

This post made me laugh.... I think it is a template they copy and paste!!! Thanks Brent!

I don’t think people on here are bashing the PE II necessarily, it’s the people who think that the value tub they got (I lump the PEs, Keys Backyard, and Gulf Coast type spas together as they are all pretty close IMO in quality) is the same as one of the higher end tubs. With comments like I just saved 4,000 dollars and got a spa that was just as good.

I think that most of the people on this site give very fair opinions on different topics and they just want to help people. Clearly in some cases there are biases (on both sides) but it pretty easy to see what they are after watching the site over time, having said that there is also a core group on here that I really respect their opinions. It cracks me up to see someone who has about 3 weeks of experience owning a tub telling a guy who has worked on tubs most of his life that tub a is just as good as tub b or part a is the same as part b. When for the most part they are just regurgitating marketing jargon.

I personally find the back and forth quite entertaining and think each side is equally to blame for fanning the “flames” and I do think there are a few people on this board that I question their motives as they seem a little over the top in promoting the PE to the point of sending me private messages telling me how great the PE II is.

I honestly don’t understand why people would even care if someone on a message board said they didn’t like spa X.

As promised pictures....IPB Image

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s160/jw...C03692Small.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s160/jw...C03689Small.jpg

Still have some things to do to finish off the area but I wanted to dismiss any idea I am from Hydro spa or hyping a product I sell. Nothing but a consumer.

I am sure there are many on here that want to be helpful and I appreciate having the open forum to come read and pick up bits of info. I am going to need it. I am off to read some on chemicle treatment now. I will post more info as I learn my spa.

Thanks Rich!

Still some stuff to do to finish the area off but that will come in time. Upon visual inspection I havent seen anything damaged from shipping so thats good. Going to fill it up tonight and the electrician comes in the morning to wire it all up and then the true test will come. I will post any issues or questions as I move through this process.

I don't think people on here are bashing the PE II necessarily, it's the people who think that the value tub they got (I lump the PEs, Keys Backyard, and Gulf Coast type spas together as they are all pretty close IMO in quality) is the same as one of the higher end tubs. With comments like I just saved 4,000 dollars and got a spa that was just as good.

I think that most of the people on this site give very fair opinions on different topics and they just want to help people. Clearly in some cases there are biases (on both sides) but it pretty easy to see what they are after watching the site over time, having said that there is also a core group on here that I really respect their opinions. It cracks me up to see someone who has about 3 weeks of experience owning a tub telling a guy who has worked on tubs most of his life that tub a is just as good as tub b or part a is the same as part b. When for the most part they are just regurgitating marketing jargon.

I personally find the back and forth quite entertaining and think each side is equally to blame for fanning the "flames" and I do think there are a few people on this board that I question their motives as they seem a little over the top in promoting the PE to the point of sending me private messages telling me how great the PE II is.

I honestly don't understand why people would even care if someone on a message board said they didn't like spa X.

What is funny is even the core group of people don't know what sets there better spa apart! Roger admits he has never worked on a Elite Spa so his opinion is just that, a opinion. Most of the core group are either salesman, dealers, repairman rather then just a everyday user. The core people are asked to explain why the Platinim Elite is a "value" spa or what parts are less quality the answer is always the same..They don't know. :o:o

As promised pictures....IPB Image

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s160/jw...C03692Small.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s160/jw...C03689Small.jpg

Still have some things to do to finish off the area but I wanted to dismiss any idea I am from Hydro spa or hyping a product I sell. Nothing but a consumer.

I am sure there are many on here that want to be helpful and I appreciate having the open forum to come read and pick up bits of info. I am going to need it. I am off to read some on chemicle treatment now. I will post more info as I learn my spa.

Nice private location. I have been trying to post a picture of my swim spa installation. I can't seem to copy the picture in. Can you tell me how to do it? Thanks

I can't seem to copy the picture in. Can you tell me how to do it? Thanks

Thanks! You need to create an account on http://photobucket.com/ or any other image hosting service and then just copy the url it provides into your post by hitting the little green icon (insert image) at the top near the font settings of your post.

J,

Congratulations, and happy belated birthday. I didn't catch it, was this a bday present to yourself?

I can't think of a nicer gift to give oneself. Sharp looking tub, nice location.

Enjoy it.

My standard "hot tub blessing:" May you soak long and prosper.

B)

PS- keep an eye on the rainwater running off the roof. You may want to add some gutter to extend the life of your cover.

Easy there.

If the man wants to tinker, it's his to tinker with. I say let him enjoy life the way he wants to, and you do the same.

There is no real mystery to these things -

As you get it running and go through the water care, ask lots of questions. This place does have a few nice folks who are more than willing to help a fellow tub owner.

B)

Thanks Chas....yes, birthday present to myself! Pretty much have all the other gadgets that cause stress...I needed something to take it away!!

Yes, the gutters go in this weekend...and I will finish up the decking around the backside. My project list looks much better now that I have a tub to soak in after I am finished!!!!

Well, the power is hooked up, the spa started right up no problems with purging or anything. Everything seems to be fine, no leaks and no damage. One thing that did have a drawback was the fitting to remove the side panel to access the electrical hookup and such. Luckily the electrician had the fitting for it....is a square fitting. I will have to pick one up at the local hardware store.

Stereo sounds great! Its nice to have the remote control mounted near the inside to control just about all the features of the stereo (need to read the manual on this also!) Lights work and look great at night! The strobe light effect is kind of funky and I can see using it just to be mix it up for a few minutes! All of the valves and diverters work fine takes a minute to figure them all out and what controls what. The waterfall looks great...especially since the spa acts as a water feature in my backyard. I guess it’s more of a mental state of mind relaxation to hear the sound of water, so I like it.

The unit is very quiet at least from some of the various floor models I looked at, at various spa dealers, hard to tell the difference since they were in a showroom floor versus outside in my backyard. If you look at the pics I posted earlier you will notice the window on right is my bedroom. I don’t hear anything when its in operation.

I had a spa company actually move the spa from Costco to my home and they suggested I use a chol./mineral setup. The people at Pinch a Penny suggest I use a .....cant think of the name...Nature2 mineral stick or something like that. It has a couple pieces you snap together and kind of make it look like a stake. From the directions it says to insert it in the filter but I don't think I can use it. I seems like it would just get sucked out and down into the plumbing of the spa. I will need to do a little more research on this...don’t want to make any mistakes and having something sucked in...wouldn't be good thing I am sure. lol

I guess the reading has just begun, now its just on operation and chemicals. Btw, the control panel seems to be easy to use. Of the 3 mode to run in I am assuming the economy mode is probably the best for my use.

You know...as I was sitting in it last night learning and enjoying it I in my honest opinion feel "good" about my purchase. To me that’s all that really matters....if you feel like you got a good deal that what counts. I can honestly say I feel like I did! There is nothing worse than to make "any" purchase and get it home and something is wrong with it. This happens in all brands and devices from cars to spas...so take that for what its worth.

One suggestion I would make is before buying it on your own learn more about how to do the water test and use chemicals before you buy since you aren’t going to have the help from a dealer. The dealer who delivered mine would have showed me but the electricity had to be installed so there was no way they could. I might call them and have them come back out now and kind of give me a run through.

Jets all feel awesome from where I sat last night. When looking at spas I wasn’t really interested in the lounge...and from what most dealers tell you is that when people come in to buy their second spa most shy away from them...most...not all. Since this was for me I really didn’t intend to try and please others and it was my opinion not to go with a lounge...just out of personal preference. One thing I do like is the volcano valve in the middle with 4 foot jets. I can see why women love the "volcano!!"

Sorry if this seems to ramble...was just trying to hit everything. I am sitting in the office trying to get some work done...If you are thinking of buying this spa and arent afraid of doing things on your own I would say go for it. If you want the comfort of having someone come out and go through the ropes on chemicals and operation I would say go for a dealer tub. IMO I am sure there might be other reasons but off the top of my head I cant think of any.

i havent been here much lately forthis very reason, i think at least 10 ppl here have been called paint, by the usual same people.

i think this mans personality is similar to mine. i tinker, and not afraid to learn new things. when you buy a first car, is it a mercedes, or a cavalier. im fortunate to still be problem free with my platII, but still wonder what the future will bring. people get so worked up ovr the little stuff this original poster, was sharing his thoughts, and 5 posts later seemingly has to defend his commets, thats BS. Warranty isn't all its cracked up to anyway, how mny warranties are full of "weasle causes", specifically written small print items that cover almost any contingent, to avoid paying. i bet hydo does this too, along with many other spa builders. you should see what the gm dealer says everytime i go in. rofl

"you can't do that, you've voided your warranty!" how many ppl got screwed by the local quaity car dealer? something you pay tens of thousands for, with a life expectantcy of 3-5 years; and every other complaint yeilds, "that's not under warrany sir", or "i wish we at XYZ stealership could help out here..", Does Tim the "toolman Taylor" care about warranty? hes gonna hook up a tidal wave device on it.