Costco Legend Elite Spa

belchak

Hi,

I am thinking about getting the Legend Elite from Costco but as you have to pick it up yourself I was woundering if this a job 2 guys with a trailer could do?

I was thinking of sitting the tub in my deck well up to the level on the CD/FM player, has anyone done this? Would you recomed it? Post some pics if you can.

Thank you.

You know when I bought mine I paid a local spa dealer $350 bucks to pick it up and deliver it. Can two people move this spa....sure, if they have a spa dolly. Those things rock! Where to rent, no idea...thats why I paid them to move it. If you can get it on a trailer and have enough muscle to move it when you get to where you are going with not many obstacles I would say go for it. The spa weighs almost a 1000 lbs without water...so dont kill yourself trying to move it.

IPB Image spa dolly~

As far as putting it in your deck I would say go for it as long as what you are putting the spa on can support the weight with water and people. Just make sure you have acess to the compartments. When you get it in make sure you come back and post some pics...

Good Luck!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know when I bought mine I paid a local spa dealer $350 bucks to pick it up and deliver it. Can two people move this spa....sure, if they have a spa dolly. Those things rock! Where to rent, no idea...thats why I paid them to move it. If you can get it on a trailer and have enough muscle to move it when you get to where you are going with not many obstacles I would say go for it. The spa weighs almost a 1000 lbs without water...so dont kill yourself trying to move it.

Your $350 to the movers was well spent. These photos are greatly simplified. Our spa took a forklift at COSTCO and three strong guys from a spa moving company to get it from LARGE flatbed truck to our driveway. From there, a crane service hoisted it and it took the same three guys to get it into place. It can be done, but the pictures don't accurately reflect the possibilities. Heaven help those two if the thing tips and gains momentum.

Please be sure to give us an update in a year or two.

My sister has consistently in the last 10+ years went with Hot Springs Spas. She has had her share of problems and yet time after time I read about they being some of the best. Who knows which one is. I know I like mine and right now I'm happy, happy, happy. I'll worry about the problems when they arise.

Your $350 to the movers was well spent. These photos are greatly simplified. Our spa took a forklift at COSTCO and three strong guys from a spa moving company to get it from LARGE flatbed truck to our driveway. From there, a crane service hoisted it and it took the same three guys to get it into place. It can be done, but the pictures don't accurately reflect the possibilities. Heaven help those two if the thing tips and gains momentum.

I have to totally agree here...the spa isnt light and especially if the terrain you are going to be moving over sucks. The two guys...young...not that big either kinda man handled it with very little issues. They do this every day so I am sure they know the little secrets. If you look in the picture they have straps holding it on the kart. They didnt use them with mine, the kart actually sits really low to the ground and the tires are bagged so it went pretty smooth.

I was there the whole time because I was concerned with them messing something up so I kinda walked beside and kept the balance going but I myself was surprised how easy they got it in. I know one thing...I wouldnt want to try and manhandle this thing in with brute force...something or somebody can get crushed. The deciding factor was I couldnt find a equipment rental company in this town that has one of those karts or I definitely would have tried it myself.

I got 5 of my friends to help me move it from the driveway to my deck in the backyard. I personally wouldn't try to do it with just 2 or 3 guys. It was fairly easy for the 6 of us to move it (took maybe 20 min). I probably could've moved it with 3 or 4 but why kill yourself or possible drop or damage the thing. If you have some friends that can help you it will save some cash, it only cost me some beers and a few pizza's. I called around to see how much it would cost and I got so many different prices, so I think it pays to shop around. Good Luck.

Thank you to all for the replys.

Well the good news is that I bought my tub, got it to the house, its now sat on my drive ready to move up to my pool deck when I can get together 5-6 people. I have a friend coming to build more support for the area on the deck the tub is to go. I am thinking of sinking the tub so the radio/CD is at deck leavel, I would need a gap to the side for the cover to slot down into and a trap door for the front access cover. Was wounding if anyone has attempted this mad crazy idea? Please post pics of your Ellite spa in its finel location.

Thank you to all for the replys.

Well the good news is that I bought my tub, got it to the house, its now sat on my drive ready to move up to my pool deck when I can get together 5-6 people. I have a friend coming to build more support for the area on the deck the tub is to go. I am thinking of sinking the tub so the radio/CD is at deck leavel, I would need a gap to the side for the cover to slot down into and a trap door for the front access cover. Was wounding if anyone has attempted this mad crazy idea? Please post pics of your Ellite spa in its finel location.

Mine sits on the ground and all the deck panels around it are removable. It is at a bit lower level than you are talking however, but either the ground could be raised or the deck could be lowered to achieve whatever look you want. Cake.

• 2 months later...

I am having a problem with the CD/FM Radio unit or more to the point the control built into the top of the tub itself. I think I may have a bad connection as the controller does not seem to respond somtimes or you will press volume and it sticks waking up the street!

Anyone having the same problem or have a way to fix this??

Thanks.

I am having a problem with the CD/FM Radio unit or more to the point the control built into the top of the tub itself. I think I may have a bad connection as the controller does not seem to respond somtimes or you will press volume and it sticks waking up the street!

Thanks.

Just take it back to Costco.

That would be difficult as it was a drama getting it to my house!!!

I was thinking if I could get inside to see the connection, anyone done this??

Call the number for service to come out and check it out for you. The last thing you want to do is tinker with it in any noticeable way, not solve the issue and have them question what you did without their consent. Call and if they want to walk you though it that's your choice but you have a warranty so I suggest you utilize it.

Thanks.

I haven't had any trouble with mine. My Costco PE2 tub has the Aeware In.Tune player (which most of the other hot tub companies seem to also be using for all you costco bashers here) with a little auxillary topside control panel and then the main control is in the unit mounted in the side of the skirt. You don't say how long you've had your tub but if it is fairly new I would suggest first trying out the sound system with the main controls and with the manual in your hand. Then you will see exactly how the thing responds to button pushes on the main panel and on the auxillary panel. For example, when you push the volume control on the topside panel, one push moves the volume up one notch. If you hold it down, it will 'repeat' the pushes and the volume will quickly shoot up to max so the best thing is repeated pushes. Anyway, play with it and you'll get the hang of it if that is the problem. Generally, the system has nice sound quality and a lot of features but it is very complicated to use (in my opinion), especially with the topside panel. Of course, it's also possible that your topside contol is defective. If so, you would find that the main panel works okay but the top auxillary panel does not. If that's the case, you can call up the number in the hot tub manual and they can help get you a new panel. That's probably not the problem, though.

My Costco PE2 tub has the Aeware In.Tune player (which most of the other hot tub companies seem to also be using for all you costco bashers here)

Here's something for you, All manufacuters stereos are over priced for what you get. I use a 150 dollar boom box that not only sounds better but is easier to take with camping.

I had the same thing happen. It was just a loose wire.

I would check yourself and see if it is something obvious. If you don't see anything call support.

flibotte, were was the lose wire? Radio or at the control?

Thanks.

radio

Ok spent sometime on this tonight and it turned out to be a small hole in the rubber on the remote and water got in. I have disconnected it from the radio for now. What would you recommend? Call Eltie and ask for a replacement part? Did a web search and you cant even find many Aeware's k155s for sale.

hi,

we live in the uk and brought an elite 2 from our local Costco in February it cost us £2,999, we had a problem with a noisey circulation pump, we phoned Costco and they arranged for a local hot tub engineer to visit, he did and changed the pump. a week later we had an EDl error message coming up and the heater stopped working. again the engineer came out and sorted the problem (dirty filters)

I would say that for the money we paid we got a bargain, we had been looking at hot tubs for £7000- £8000 with less on them than the Elite 2 has. Also Costco have been great with the service so far.

A final comment would be what a great way to end the day!!!!!!

I am considering purchasing the same spa and it's nice to hear the good and bad. What I am most concerned with is insulation, and the cost of running it through the winter. Has anyone had theirs through the winter yet? What were the results?

As a side note I spoke to the manufacturer rep this morning and they suggested that I may want to add more spray foam insulation to the inside of the cabinet. She told me it will not void the warranty but I must inform them I have done it.

The way I see it, the small dealers mark up the tubs quite a bit (they have to cover costs like the rest of us!). Costco doesn't mark up as much. They're Costco! I've never had a bad experience with anything I've bought at Costco. Plus, they probably sell thousands of these tubs and there are only a few people complaining about them here :)

I'll give it a shot.

My last tub was an Arctic. It was good for the 5 years I had it (sold with the last house). BUT I paid more for it and it was very very basic. Chances are 50% of what I paid was dealer profit so I bought a $3500 tub for $7000. If I can get a $10000 (comparing features, etc.) tub at Costco for $6000 then I have $4000 to spend on beer and service if it turns out to be a lemon... :)

If it was really a 10K tub you wouldn't have to add insulation to it? They've cut corners on insulation, is it not reasonable to think other corners were cut as well?

I bought a 6 cheap sprinklers at wal mart last week paid like 5 bucks each (sprinklers are sprinklers I thought) (filled in my pool in and regraded my back yard, planted grass seed) and they still didn't cover my back yard. I went to home depot and got 20 dollar ones, I returned 4 of them because 2 was enough to cover my entire backyard. You get what you pay for.

My last tub was an Arctic. It was good for the 5 years I had it (sold with the last house). BUT I paid more for it and it was very very basic. Chances are 50% of what I paid was dealer profit so I bought a $3500 tub for $7000. If I can get a $10000 (comparing features, etc.) tub at Costco for $6000 then I have $4000 to spend on beer and service if it turns out to be a lemon... :)

You're right, there is less mark up on a Costco tub. But you're definteily not getting a $10k spa for $6k. It's more like you're getting a $7k spa for $6k so it is a good deal that way but it loses in other ways. My opinion as always is it's certainly an alternative but you really want to be a do-it-yourselfer if you go that route. The fact that you've owned a spa before certainly helps.

You're right, there is less mark up on a Costco tub. But you're definteily not getting a $10k spa for $6k. It's more like you're getting a $7k spa for $6k so it is a good deal that way but it loses in other ways. My opinion as always is it's certainly an alternative but you really want to be a do-it-yourselfer if you go that route. The fact that you've owned a spa before certainly helps.

When I was looking around, the Costco Platinum Elite 2 spa was very comparable to what the dealer was selling for $10k, in fact better because the costco tub had a better shell and a nicer 'maintenance free' skirt. Now that I've had the costco tub for nearly a year, it looks like an even better deal. I paid $4k for the tub at costco. I had to also pay to rent a trailer and for help to get the tub moved off of the trailer and into place and I had to pay for a concrete slab, 50-amp power hookup, and for a little deck next to the tub. All in all, it was an incredible costco bargain.

I bought a big-screen tv at costco a few months later and it was an awesome deal as well. The tv was a brand that I'd never heard of 'vizio' but it has been outstanding and has a lot of features.

I am considering purchasing the same spa and it's nice to hear the good and bad. What I am most concerned with is insulation, and the cost of running it through the winter. Has anyone had theirs through the winter yet? What were the results?

I bought the model they were selling in 2006 and have had it for nearly a year. It uses between 10 and 15 kwh per day based on comparing my power usage for the same periods in the year before the tub arrived. This is pretty typical for normal usage patterns of any newer hot tub from what I can see. Don't believe the people here who tell you the costco tubs use more power than other tubs. They don't and those people who say that are members of the 'someone told me that...' school of reporting.