2 Year Old Spa Cover Taking On Water?

ed3120

I have an Emerald M570 that I purchased in April of 2008. The cover that we have feels like it has gotten heavier. Is it possible that it has absorbed water already? Last winter, our electric bill was very high. Does water in the cover have a small impact or a huge impact on the cover's insulating capabilities?

Is there something that I did that caused the cover to take on water? Is there anything I can do to prevent or reverse this? How long should a cover last? Should I buy a new one before the winter?

"Fix" the cover? If in fact the vapor barrier has been compromised from excessive chemicals, the only "repair" would be to replace it. Excessive chemicals cause the barrier to become porous, allowing steam and evaporation to penetrate through. In a quality cover the barrier is a polyethylene, 4mil - 6mil thick, vacuumed and heat sealed around the foam...not to mention you would need weeks or months of time to dry out the foam.

"Fix" the cover? If in fact the vapor barrier has been compromised from excessive chemicals, the only "repair" would be to replace it. Excessive chemicals cause the barrier to become porous, allowing steam and evaporation to penetrate through. In a quality cover the barrier is a polyethylene, 4mil - 6mil thick, vacuumed and heat sealed around the foam...not to mention you would need weeks or months of time to dry out the foam.

I'm guessing if I don't replace this before the winter my energy bills will be through the roof. Who makes a reliable cover these days that won't fall apart on me? How many years can I expect it to last?

I'm guessing if I don't replace this before the winter my energy bills will be through the roof. Who makes a reliable cover these days that won't fall apart on me? How many years can I expect it to last?

Dr. Spa, do you make a cover that will mitigate the excessive chemicals? I'm still learning here and this is a genuine question. By blaming the excessive chemicals we're blaming the customer. Maybe we need a higher quality cover? Regardless of the answer to that question, I am curious as to how long an average cover should last? I've heard three years and that sounds low but maybe true.

DK117

I'm not sure what you mean by "mitigate the excessive chemicals." Like anything else in this work, if it's abused, or not cared for properly, it's not going to last as long as it should.

One of the issues here is price. No, THE, issue here is price!

With the OEM's, they'll FIGHT tooth and nail over 50 cents. Where there's only a couple of bucks of profits, that 50 cents can add up to 25% of the profits. The SPA MANUFACTURERS spec the covers for their spas and there are lot of ways to cut 50 cents from the costs. BUT, it reduces the quality. You can go thinner support steel, thinner vapor barrier, lessor foam density, thinner vinyl, less reinforcement, blah blah blah. The vast majority of ways costs can be cut, the consumer will NEVER notice, visually. I would venture an educated guess that most OEM covers have a 3 year lifespan (that's "most", there have been some that will just barely make it past the one year warranty).

With consumer purchased aftermarket covers (buying a replacement)...again, most people are so interested in saving money, initially, they don't really compare features to determin quality. So many website say they have the best this, and the best that, but don't list the actual specifications. People get so excited about saving $20 over another site (that lists all the specs, and offers a true high quality cover), that they jump on it without fully understanding what they're getting.

How long should the average cover last??? Average? Probably 3 to 4 years is "average". For a good quality cover, I'd expect 6 to 8. My last cover was 8 or 9 years old...the only reason I replaced it was I repainted my house and wanted a new color to match the trim.

Another option for a cover, you asked for higher quality", would be the aluminum ones. I've seen them go 15+ years...... $1200

I'm not sure what you mean by "mitigate the excessive chemicals." Like anything else in this work, if it's abused, or not cared for properly, it's not going to last as long as it should.

With the OEM's, they'll FIGHT tooth and nail over 50 cents. Where there's only a couple of bucks of profits, that 50 cents can add up to 25% of the profits. The SPA MANUFACTURERS spec the covers for their spas and there are lot of ways to cut 50 cents from the costs. BUT, it reduces the quality. You can go thinner support steel, thinner vapor barrier, lessor foam density, thinner vinyl, less reinforcement, blah blah blah. The vast majority of ways costs can be cut, the consumer will NEVER notice, visually. I would venture an educated guess that most OEM covers have a 3 year lifespan (that's "most", there have been some that will just barely make it past the one year warranty).

With consumer purchased aftermarket covers (buying a replacement)...again, most people are so interested in saving money, initially, they don't really compare features to determin quality. So many website say they have the best this, and the best that, but don't list the actual specifications. People get so excited about saving $20 over another site (that lists all the specs, and offers a true high quality cover), that they jump on it without fully understanding what they're getting.

How long should the average cover last??? Average? Probably 3 to 4 years is "average". For a good quality cover, I'd expect 6 to 8. My last cover was 8 or 9 years old...the only reason I replaced it was I repainted my house and wanted a new color to match the trim.

Another option for a cover, you asked for higher quality", would be the aluminum ones. I've seen them go 15+ years...... $1200

I can also vouch for Doc's covers. I have had a couple on my own tubs and ordered several for customers. The first one I had lasted for 6 years before I sold the tub, the cover was fine. The second one was of just as good a quality even though I only owned it for 2 years. The current owners are friends, they have had the tub for 3 years, the cover is fine. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

I can also vouch for Doc's covers. I have had a couple on my own tubs and ordered several for customers. The first one I had lasted for 6 years before I sold the tub, the cover was fine. The second one was of just as good a quality even though I only owned it for 2 years. The current owners are friends, they have had the tub for 3 years, the cover is fine. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

OK, I concede all points made. So what are we talking here, just ballpark this thing for me please. I know I can buy a crappy cover for $320 bucks. That's over $100 a year. So if I spend $420 will my cover last 6 to 8? If so your total cost of ownership is much lower. Finally my other question, if I chronically have high dichlor, does your quality cover compensate for that fact, or will the lifespan of even quality covers degrade under such conditions.

thanks

DK117

What are you treating that cover with? Ours is 2 yrs old and I recently treated it with 303 UV protectant. I was much impressed and unhappy that I didn't start earlier.

We live in a moderate climate, but if you've got a cold freeze or high summer heat that vinyl needs frequent protection.

(No, I don't sell it)

6" x 4" tapered foam for an insulating value of R-21 plus double wrapped 6mil polyethiline cores (extra protection from the chlorine), $384.90

I'm new here and after reading some threads would also like to get a new cover. How do i get ahold of Doc or his website? Thanks

http://www.rhtubs.com/

let me know how it goes. I'm a year or more away from getting a new cover. I am leery of doing my own measurements, the site would be better if we could choose a tub make and model that has already been professionally measured for Doc's covers.

good luck.

DK117

6" x 4" tapered foam for an insulating value of R-21 plus double wrapped 6mil polyethiline cores (extra protection from the chlorine), $384.90

I'm new here and after reading some threads would also like to get a new cover. How do i get ahold of Doc or his website? Thanks

let me know how it goes. I'm a year or more away from getting a new cover. I am leery of doing my own measurements, the site would be better if we could choose a tub make and model that has already been professionally measured for Doc's covers.

good luck.

DK117

As one of those sites that do offer the measurements for various makes and models, please please please measure your spa. We have "professionally measured" about 35% of the database. The rest are pulled from spa manufacturer literature, websites, etc. We make a point of telling people that physical measurements are required and to only use our database as a guide. We don't guarantee that we will have all the size changes and we don't guarantee that you will always remember which model you have and what year it was made. All of us that sell spa covers are more than happy to coach you up on measuring for the new cover. Please don't skip this very important step no matter what the website says about you not needing to measure.

What are you treating that cover with? Ours is 2 yrs old and I recently treated it with 303 UV protectant. I was much impressed and unhappy that I didn't start earlier.

We live in a moderate climate, but if you've got a cold freeze or high summer heat that vinyl needs frequent protection.

(No, I don't sell it)

Very good point. Any silicon based vinyl protectant will work fine but you have to do it a few times a year. I used to do it everytime I changed water. I liked fresh water every 4-5 months. DO NOT USE petroleum based vinyl protectant (Armorall)

good luck.

DK117

As one of those sites that do offer the measurements for various makes and models, please please please measure your spa. We have "professionally measured" about 35% of the database. The rest are pulled from spa manufacturer literature, websites, etc. We make a point of telling people that physical measurements are required and to only use our database as a guide. We don't guarantee that we will have all the size changes and we don't guarantee that you will always remember which model you have and what year it was made. All of us that sell spa covers are more than happy to coach you up on measuring for the new cover. Please don't skip this very important step no matter what the website says about you not needing to measure.

when the need arises, I'll call for help. I'm pretty handy, but when it comes to measurements, I cut twice measure once.

DK117

Folks, We've got people talking of deterioration of the outside of the cover, due to UV, heat, snow, bird poop, etc, and others concerned for deterioration of the inside of the cover due to chemicals in the spa.

I'm new to this game, and the problem for outside deterioration is obvious for me. But what of the inside deterioration? Is this a real concern? Can the inside degrade before the outside?

And is there a remedy for this? IF it is a problem, can I just hose off the inside occasionally? Or is it really nothing to worry about?

(My cover is 8 x 12 ft. I probably can't buy one of those for $300)

Folks, We've got people talking of deterioration of the outside of the cover, due to UV, heat, snow, bird poop, etc, and others concerned for deterioration of the inside of the cover due to chemicals in the spa.

I'm new to this game, and the problem for outside deterioration is obvious for me. But what of the inside deterioration? Is this a real concern? Can the inside degrade before the outside?

And is there a remedy for this? IF it is a problem, can I just hose off the inside occasionally? Or is it really nothing to worry about?

(My cover is 8 x 12 ft. I probably can't buy one of those for $300)

IMHO most of the damage that will prompt you to replace your cover comes from your spa's water off-gassing chlorine, bromine, ozone, MPS, etc. We seal the foam in a vapor barrier to keep it from water-logging which would happen in less than a year without it. Over time, those chemicals gassing off deteriorate those protective barriers.

And as for your cover, unfortunately you will be paying a bit more than $300.

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO most of the damage that will prompt you to replace your cover comes from your spa's water off-gassing chlorine, bromine, ozone, MPS, etc. We seal the foam in a vapor barrier to keep it from water-logging which would happen in less than a year without it. Over time, those chemicals gassing off deteriorate those protective barriers.

IYHO, there is a threat to cover durability from the inside. OK, but I also ask, IYHO, can I lengthen the life of my cover by occasionally rinsing off the inside/underside on my cover?

I have an Emerald M570 that I purchased in April of 2008. The cover that we have feels like it has gotten heavier. Is it possible that it has absorbed water already? Last winter, our electric bill was very high. Does water in the cover have a small impact or a huge impact on the cover's insulating capabilities?

Is there something that I did that caused the cover to take on water? Is there anything I can do to prevent or reverse this? How long should a cover last? Should I buy a new one before the winter?

All of hard covers absorb and retain water, even with the most diligent care and venting. In 2000 I opted to go to the inflatable style from SpaCap and only recently have I begun to have water build up in one of the bellows. I would strongly suggest you look into this option of a spa hot tub cover. www.spacap.com

Cheers.