New Nordic Crown Xl

halfshell

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

Nordic tubs are infamous for poor insualtion. I had a used one and in the dead of New wengland winters. it was insanely exspensive to heat. I was told that I was being too hard on Nordic, and that over the past several years, they have improved. Yet everyone who has one seems to be adding insulation to them. :huh: If folks want a round tub, there are very few choices, and Nordic seems to be one of the few. Their prices are also very affordable, but people looking for a quality tub that will be affordable to run in the winter, should not fool themselves that Nordic falls to the back of the pack.

Is this all you do is knock what others have.all i know is my crown is deeper then the 10,000 tub i was in last year.its simple to work on also.

All I did was offer balance to this thread. I did not "knock" any tub. I stated what I know to be true.

?????

Like Dave in NH said, I don't like the idea of having to stuff insualtion into the cabinet (esp household batting. That's a BAD idea).

However, as I said, MY nordic was an energy hog, and several folks on this thread who owns one also agreed. the fact is, Nordic is not on the top of the list when it comes to energy efficeincy. If that offends you, then so be it.

Go have another drink Drewstar.the new tubs from the top makers have the same jets as my 5 year old crown.now theres something to think anout.

Another drink? WTF? From the tone of your replys, you seem to already have had a few.

I'm not sure I follow what you. Who was talking about jets???? You seemed upset because I pointed out Nordic was not very energy efficent. If you want to talk rationaly, great. If not, please pick your fights with someone else.

Ive seen your Pm's to other members when you have had toooooooo many.are they sick of you on the other forum

Once again, Scooby, Just what the hell are you talking about? !?

I said before Champ, go pick a fight with someone else. :wacko:

Didn't your boss tell you that if he ever found you on the computer again while working, he'll put you back on the drive through? :lol:

Whoa there fellas. I don't have a problem with Trigger's post about Nordics' lack of insulation/energy efficiency and don't see why anyone else would either. I was the one that pointed out our Nordic uses more electricity than I'd like just so anyone considering buying one based on my (and other's) glowing review wouldn't be caught by surprise.

We are going on our third winter season (our favorite for soaking!) and I'm hoping to find the time to try out some insulation options.

I just passed my 1 year anniversary with my nordic xl and love it, no problems. I really admire the depth on this tub. It does cost money to operate, i live in nh and we have some of the highest electric rates in the country. It costs me at least $30-$40 a month to operate.

30 to 40 bucks is not bad in new hampshire. i have found with the more expensive more insulated tubs that running all the pumps is expensive.

Whoa there fellas. I don't have a problem with Trigger's post about Nordics' lack of insulation/energy efficiency and don't see why anyone else would either. I was the one that pointed out our Nordic uses more electricity than I'd like just so anyone considering buying one based on my (and other's) glowing review wouldn't be caught by surprise.

We are going on our third winter season (our favorite for soaking!) and I'm hoping to find the time to try out some insulation options.

Halfshell,

Agreed. I ma glad you don't have a problem. It wasn't a personal post. It was ment to balance the thread. I guess some folks here forgot that I actually owned a Nordic Tub. :rolleyes: Anyhow.... for insualtion I would not use fiberglass batting whent that get's wet or compresses, it can be worse than no insualtion. Perhaps, look into a foiled wrap as well as sealing up with silicon any leaks and seams.

Hi,

Just like your house, insulation does matter when it comes to energy efficiency. Thats why I ordered my Nordic Escape Premium full-foam because I was worried about high energy cost in a long run. Is it worth the extra $250 upfront, who knows. But I feel comfortable with it and it was very affordable to me. I do not know how much more energy efficient mine is compare to non-FF Nordic tub.

There are also many other factors such as a good cover, the location of your tub in conjunction with your house...etc. Say if you put your tub in a wind tunnel, forget about it.

Some of the more expensive tub have a small 24/7 circular pump for filtration instead of the main pump which use more electricity. That's why they are more energy efficient. They can also break down too but that's another discussion. We are NOT going there.

As for adding insulation, won't hurt trying. Can always remove it later. I'm with Trigger on sealing leaks and seams and maybe trying foiled wrap when self-insulation fail. Try Try Try. ENJOY :)

Jadi

Hi,

Just like your house, insulation does matter when it comes to energy efficiency. Thats why I ordered my Nordic Escape Premium full-foam because I was worried about high energy cost in a long run. Is it worth the extra $250 upfront, who knows.

Its very wise to fully insulate your spa, you'll easily get your $$ back within the first year IMO.

Hi,

Just like your house, insulation does matter when it comes to energy efficiency. Thats why I ordered my Nordic Escape Premium full-foam because I was worried about high energy cost in a long run. Is it worth the extra $250 upfront, who knows.

Its very wise to fully insulate your spa, you'll easily get your $$ back within the first year IMO.

yes, but how do you suggest I do this?

Hi,

Check this out,

www.fomomoam.com/video.htm Click on spa & hot tub video

Enjoy :)

jadi

Hi,

Check this out,

www.fomofoam.com/video.htm Click on spa & hot tub video

jadi

which kit did you get/do you suggest for a nordic crown XL?

are you happy with the results?

jh,

I was seriously considering and would have use it if I had bought the nordic crown which I had wanted. Full-foam is not an option on the Crown. But my wife wanted the Escape with the recliner. The recliner is what sold her. So, I ordered my tub full-foam.

At first we didn't know about the FF option. Our dealer did not offer the option to us. I had to ask them about it. They were not sure because they had never sold one before and I was the first and only person that ask for it. I told them I called Nordic main office to see if they would make one for me. They make them for exportation to europe. To my surprise they say it was an option. Needless to say I went back to my dealer and ordered mine FF.

So to answer your question. I need not and did not get or use any of them (Fomofoam). But I would considered using them, had I order the Crown. Maybe not during the warranty period. That's just me.

jadi

• 1 year later...
Tell us how happy you are in a couple of years.

I'm happy to report that Christmas was our 3 year anniversary with our Nordic Crown XL and we've been extremely pleased with it. We still use it frequently and have not had one single issue with it. It maintains water temp perfectly and water maintenance is a breeze. Thanks to the materials used for the shell and cabinet, it still looks brand new. I'll probably replace the cover in the spring with something a little better/thicker and it uses a bit more electricity than I think it should but after 3 years, I would eagerly recommend one to someone looking for a reasonably priced tub!

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my crown xl for about 4 years now and its running great. The service from nordic and the people are great too. We moved twice since we got it and i have rolled it on the lawn(twice)to move it with no problems.

They did have to replace the heater twice(defective) and the third one was the charm. I would get another one when the time comes.

104 Degrees

Hey all. 1st time poster and new hot tub owner here. This looks like a great forum and I hope to get and share info from time to time.

Halfshell

Would you mind telling me what you paid?? Before taxes??

104 Degrees

A good dealer is absolutely essential... we just moved to SC and inherited a Nordic Hot tub (Rendezvous II) and after we filled it and turned it on it leaked like a sieve... couldn't get anyone out to fix it... including the local Nordic dealer!! so a good dealer is essential... I finally cut my hot tub up for lack of anyone to fix it (I tried to find the leak/cracks) and worked 3 straight days looking) finally had a non-Nordic dealer from Spartanburg come out (1 hr and $125 later) and he told me he'd have to have $2000+ to fix it... so you are lucky to have a good dealer!!

This is a great thread!

I wonder where the Joker guy went? He should have some crow on the halfshell,hey?

He got booted from the site a couple years ago I think. He had an Infinity that was the best thing since sliced bread. Then they went out of business and his broke in several ways. Not sure if he ever brought it back to Costco or not? Probably got screwed out of that also and has a nice planter right now!

• 1 month later...

I'm happy to report that Christmas was our 3 year anniversary with our Nordic Crown XL and we've been extremely pleased with it. We still use it frequently and have not had one single issue with it. It maintains water temp perfectly and water maintenance is a breeze. Thanks to the materials used for the shell and cabinet, it still looks brand new. I'll probably replace the cover in the spring with something a little better/thicker and it uses a bit more electricity than I think it should but after 3 years, I would eagerly recommend one to someone looking for a reasonably priced tub!

Thanks so much for posting this update. I was chuckling when I read it. You actually DID come back a few years later to report :lol:

I purchased an even less popular Nordic model, the Bella. It's only been 5 months or so but I couldn't be happier. It's the perfect tub for me and I trust the quality of it to be good based on the brand's reputation.

I had done some homework on everything from brands, models, dealers, site setup etc before deciding on this tub and it's been nothing short of shear pleasure for my situation.

I like that I can open the cover with one pinkie.

I like that the jet setup and strength is SO strong that I never find myself wishing for more power.

I like the way the little hydrotherapy jets on the other end tickle my feet.

I like that the water is easily over my shoulders even when sitting up straight.

I like that I can open just one side of the cover and not lose any heat even if I stay in for 40 minutes on a 0 degree night.

I like that it's small and discreet and doesnt attract attention or take up much room in the yard.

I like that the dealer I bought it from is reputable and capable and that the price was so affordable that I paid cash and never had to wonder if I could afford a tub.

My friends would probably have preferred a bigger tub. I tell them to buy their own :P

The electricity usage is probably higher than others. I have no way to tell so it doesnt bother me a bit <shrugs>

My quality of life is SO improved by this little no-frills tub. It doesnt bother me a bit that some would turn their noses up at my choice. It's a little piece of paradise 4 feet from my back door and I hardly know that I suffer from arthritis anymore ! I do notice how gorgeous the stars are, even on a freezing cold night when everyone else is hiding indoors.

I'm betting that I'll be back here in three years and still happy with my choice too. Altho I seriously need to get some stairs for the tub.

I used to shovel the driveway first in a storm like this one.....now I just shovel out the tub and call someone to do the drive B)

Thanks for posting.

Tub.jpg

Thanks so much for posting this update. I was chuckling when I read it. You actually DID come back a few years later to report :lol:

I purchased an even less popular Nordic model, the Bella. It's only been 5 months or so but I couldn't be happier. It's the perfect tub for me and I trust the quality of it to be good based on the brand's reputation.

I had done some homework on everything from brands, models, dealers, site setup etc before deciding on this tub and it's been nothing short of shear pleasure for my situation.

I like that I can open the cover with one pinkie.

I like that the jet setup and strength is SO strong that I never find myself wishing for more power.

I like the way the little hydrotherapy jets on the other end tickle my feet.

I like that the water is easily over my shoulders even when sitting up straight.

I like that I can open just one side of the cover and not lose any heat even if I stay in for 40 minutes on a 0 degree night. I like that it's small and discreet and doesnt attract attention or take up much room in the yard.

I like that the dealer I bought it from is reputable and capable and that the price was so affordable that I paid cash and never had to wonder if I could afford a tub.

My friends would probably have preferred a bigger tub. I tell them to buy their own :P

The electricity usage is probably higher than others. I have no way to tell so it doesnt bother me a bit <shrugs>

My quality of life is SO improved by this little no-frills tub. It doesnt bother me a bit that some would turn their noses up at my choice. It's a little piece of paradise 4 feet from my back door and I hardly know that I suffer from arthritis anymore ! I do notice how gorgeous the stars are, even on a freezing cold night when everyone else is hiding indoors.

I'm betting that I'll be back here in three years and still happy with my choice too. Altho I seriously need to get some stairs for the tub.

I used to shovel the driveway first in a storm like this one.....now I just shovel out the tub and call someone to do the drive B)

Thanks for posting.

Tub.jpg

capecod01 - I think that you made a very wise choice and found the right tub for you. When you walk into the showroom the Nordics frankly aren't as sexy compared to spas with fountains, led displays, marbled acrylic shells, over abundance of jets, air blowers, stereos etc. However, that stuff doesn't interest me and what Nordic provides - simplicity, reliabilty and a company that stands behind its product - does matter to me.

I have read posts from others who were not satisfied with the energy efficiency of of the Nordic thermopane design. A number of people have been able to improve matters by adding insulation to the cabinet - perhaps you may wish to look into this and you should check with Nordic on their policy regarding this. For new spa buyers who may read this post - be aware that Nordic offers full-foam as an option. Buyers who live where electric rates are high or in cold climates may find that the savings in electricity may pay for the higher full foam cost in a reasonable time.

I am subscribed to this topic and still using our Nordic Crown XL no problems. I also think it could use a little more insulation, but I am not about to go about insulating the thing. I would get a thicker top first.

I am also on Cape Cod, but I drain the tub usually for Jan and Feb because we tend not to use it those months. I winterize it according to the instructions.

For steps, I made some very quickly and easily with leftover lumber from our deck.

To Capecod01: if you find a place with any deals going on spa covers here on the cape, please post it. Thanks.

I like that Bella model, but we found the crown XL on super sale at apollo spa in taunton, it was a floor model.

I am subscribed to this topic and still using our Nordic Crown XL no problems. I also think it could use a little more insulation, but I am not about to go about insulating the thing. I would get a thicker top first.

I am also on Cape Cod, but I drain the tub usually for Jan and Feb because we tend not to use it those months. I winterize it according to the instructions.

For steps, I made some very quickly and easily with leftover lumber from our deck.

To Capecod01: if you find a place with any deals going on spa covers here on the cape, please post it. Thanks.

I like that Bella model, but we found the crown XL on super sale at apollo spa in taunton, it was a floor model.

Nordic makes a great value tub. These can be had for 2-5 grand and seem to hold up for longer than a bunch of other so-called value brands.

• 1 month later...

Our Nordic was just delivered this Saturday. We ordered the unit with extra insulation when we placed the order with the dealer. It was roughly a three week wait from time of order to delivery.

The spa is only a couple days old, but fills the need for warm water, bubbles & fun.

Nordic makes a great value tub. These can be had for 2-5 grand and seem to hold up for longer than a bunch of other so-called value brands.

Our Nordic was just delivered this Saturday. We ordered the unit with extra insulation when we placed the order with the dealer. It was roughly a three week wait from time of order to delivery.

The spa is only a couple days old, but fills the need for warm water, bubbles & fun.

Let's see, plastic shell and plywood bottom...How could this be even close to costing 2 grand let alone 5 grand! I wonder why every Nordic dealer either carries the product as their low end line, and have a high end line, or is really a pool dealer with a few Nordics on the floor. I have yet to see any spa dealer just carry Nordic and only Nordic! They don't because it's a price point low end spa when the customer can't afford a real spa, or they just don't understand the difference between acrylic shell and plastic bottom vs plastic shell and wood bottom! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

• 1 month later...
Let's see, plastic shell and plywood bottom...How could this be even close to costing 2 grand let alone 5 grand! I wonder why every Nordic dealer either carries the product as their low end line, and have a high end line, or is really a pool dealer with a few Nordics on the floor. I have yet to see any spa dealer just carry Nordic and only Nordic! They don't because it's a price point low end spa when the customer can't afford a real spa, or they just don't understand the difference between acrylic shell and plastic bottom vs plastic shell and wood bottom! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

If you had any idea of the reality of spa / hot tub manufacturing and materials engineering you'ld realize how silly you sound. Just FWIW, acrylic is also a "plastic". Acrylic and polyethylene both have their strengths and weaknesses. All products are manufactured to certain price points, and most spas have wood bottoms. Many share pretty much identical mechanical components. And for the most part, they are all made as cheaply as possible within a certain price target range - that's why they're worth 1/4 of retail (on a good day) the day after you take delivery.

• 1 year later...

Hey all. 1st time poster and new hot tub owner here. This looks like a great forum and I hope to get and share info from time to time.

I'll start off by sharing. Since I didn't find many posts regarding Nordic tubs and a certain post was ..ummm...a total waste, I deciced to post my own experiences with the buying/decision process and the tub so far.

For the past 4-5 years, my wife has been wanting a hot tub/spa and I kept telling her "we'll get one....someday". So, over the past 6 months or so, I was doing a lot of internet research about tubs. We had talked to a few dealers from time to time, but I was never very satisfied with the level of professionalism or knowledge of the salespeople. Luckily for me, my wife had a pretty clear idea of what she wanted - a round tub with lots of water movement and a minimal amount of jets. We have been in both round and square tubs (that had all the seats, loungers and jets everywhere) and we both agreed that we liked the round ones the best. This, of course, limited my buying options and made my research pretty easy. Once I found out about the Nordic line, I have to say I was impressed. It fit my wife's desires perfectly and the way it's made and its simplicity fit my requirements. BTW - we are both in our 30's and live in Southern New England.

When we went to the local dealer back in late Nov. 06, I was surprised to find such a good selection on their floor. They had just about every Nordic model on display and a couple that were filled and ready to wet test. Unfortunately, neither of us brought our bathing suits and I don't think my wife would have gone in one anyway. We had orginally wanted to look at their newer, Warrior XL model which is the "value" priced version of the Crown XL. Both are 7 ft. in diameter and 40 inches deep but the Warrior has a much smaller pump, only one large whirlpool jet and fewer overall jets. After learning about all the differences and the small difference in price, we decided that the Crown XL was the way to go.

On Dec. 8, our tub was delivered. The guys assembled the included plastic steps (they actually work well) and installed the included CD ozone generator. So far, so good.

On Dec. 24th, yes, Christmas Eve, my friend, a licensed electrician, finally had some time to come over and run all the wiring and hook up the tub. Within a couple of hours, he was done and I had filled the tub while he was working. When he flipped the switch, everything fired right up. I set the temp to 98 (it was only 48) and let it run.

Our first night in the tub was on Christmas. Since then, we've been in it about every other night and we love it. Everything works the way it should and the pump is even stronger than I expected. With the two main whirlpool jets on full, the whirlpool action will push you around the tub. All the other jets are plenty strong too. The heater works great. I keep the tub set at about 97 and about 30 minutes before we go out to use it, I test the water and turn it up to 101-102. By the time we get out there, it's at 99-100 and even with the pump on high and cover off, it continues to heat the water quickly to 102.

What do we really like about this tub?

- The simple controls. Pump Off/low/high; Light; Temp Up, Temp Down. That's it!

- The size and depth. Plenty of room for 4 adults and water up to your chin if you want it (different seat hights around the tub)

- The shell material and color (bronze). Not the typical glossy acrylic tub surface. More like a truck bed liner. Seems very durable and low maintenance. Lifetime warranty (if we ship it back to the factory).

- The perma-wood cabinet. Maintenance free. 10 year warranty.

- Base of the tub is very thick, plastic material. Not wood as used in older models.

- Everyone that has seen the tub including the electrician has commented about how nice it looks, how simple it seems and how well it's put together.

What don't we like?

- Haven't found anything yet but I will be changing the standard light bulb with a multi-color LED one off ebay.

We're looking forward to many years of enjoyment from our Nordic tub!

P.S. After reading what I wrote, it sounds like I'm a salesman for Nordic. I can assure you, I have nothing to do with them or any part of the hot tub/pool industry. I also must admit that I did not look at a lot of other tubs so I don't have much to compare to. We're just thrilled that the tub has exceeded our initial expectations and that, so far, it's working prefectly.

I see all the comments, so I'll add mine. I bought my Nordic Crown II on 4-18-2006. Its been running continuously since then without a problem. The cover is starting to get waterlogged, so I'll replace the foam or just buy a new cover.

I've owned spa's before, acrylic ones are the pits, I've had three of them delaminate, pumps and heaters fail, and I paid a lot more for them, but this one has been amazingly reliable.

• 4 years later...