New Nordic Crown Xl

halfshell

Hey all. 1st time poster and new hot tub owner here. This looks like a great forum and I hope to get and share info from time to time.

I'll start off by sharing. Since I didn't find many posts regarding Nordic tubs and a certain post was ..ummm...a total waste, I deciced to post my own experiences with the buying/decision process and the tub so far.

For the past 4-5 years, my wife has been wanting a hot tub/spa and I kept telling her "we'll get one....someday". So, over the past 6 months or so, I was doing a lot of internet research about tubs. We had talked to a few dealers from time to time, but I was never very satisfied with the level of professionalism or knowledge of the salespeople. Luckily for me, my wife had a pretty clear idea of what she wanted - a round tub with lots of water movement and a minimal amount of jets. We have been in both round and square tubs (that had all the seats, loungers and jets everywhere) and we both agreed that we liked the round ones the best. This, of course, limited my buying options and made my research pretty easy. Once I found out about the Nordic line, I have to say I was impressed. It fit my wife's desires perfectly and the way it's made and its simplicity fit my requirements. BTW - we are both in our 30's and live in Southern New England.

When we went to the local dealer back in late Nov. 06, I was surprised to find such a good selection on their floor. They had just about every Nordic model on display and a couple that were filled and ready to wet test. Unfortunately, neither of us brought our bathing suits and I don't think my wife would have gone in one anyway. We had orginally wanted to look at their newer, Warrior XL model which is the "value" priced version of the Crown XL. Both are 7 ft. in diameter and 40 inches deep but the Warrior has a much smaller pump, only one large whirlpool jet and fewer overall jets. After learning about all the differences and the small difference in price, we decided that the Crown XL was the way to go.

On Dec. 8, our tub was delivered. The guys assembled the included plastic steps (they actually work well) and installed the included CD ozone generator. So far, so good.

On Dec. 24th, yes, Christmas Eve, my friend, a licensed electrician, finally had some time to come over and run all the wiring and hook up the tub. Within a couple of hours, he was done and I had filled the tub while he was working. When he flipped the switch, everything fired right up. I set the temp to 98 (it was only 48) and let it run.

Our first night in the tub was on Christmas. Since then, we've been in it about every other night and we love it. Everything works the way it should and the pump is even stronger than I expected. With the two main whirlpool jets on full, the whirlpool action will push you around the tub. All the other jets are plenty strong too. The heater works great. I keep the tub set at about 97 and about 30 minutes before we go out to use it, I test the water and turn it up to 101-102. By the time we get out there, it's at 99-100 and even with the pump on high and cover off, it continues to heat the water quickly to 102.

What do we really like about this tub?

- The simple controls. Pump Off/low/high; Light; Temp Up, Temp Down. That's it!

- The size and depth. Plenty of room for 4 adults and water up to your chin if you want it (different seat hights around the tub)

- The shell material and color (bronze). Not the typical glossy acrylic tub surface. More like a truck bed liner. Seems very durable and low maintenance. Lifetime warranty (if we ship it back to the factory).

- The perma-wood cabinet. Maintenance free. 10 year warranty.

- Base of the tub is very thick, plastic material. Not wood as used in older models.

- Everyone that has seen the tub including the electrician has commented about how nice it looks, how simple it seems and how well it's put together.

What don't we like?

- Haven't found anything yet but I will be changing the standard light bulb with a multi-color LED one off ebay.

We're looking forward to many years of enjoyment from our Nordic tub!

P.S. After reading what I wrote, it sounds like I'm a salesman for Nordic. I can assure you, I have nothing to do with them or any part of the hot tub/pool industry. I also must admit that I did not look at a lot of other tubs so I don't have much to compare to. We're just thrilled that the tub has exceeded our initial expectations and that, so far, it's working prefectly.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell us how happy you are in a couple of years.

I figured you'd chime in here. I read your "facts" on Nordic spas and and have already seen for myself how wrong you are on so many points. Is Nordic the best quality spa available? Of course not. Is it one of the best quality spas for the money making it a great value for those of us that don't want to spend $6000 or more on a hot tub? So far, I think so.

After reading some of your posts, it's obvious to me that you have an agenda and it doesn't include sharing honest or helpful information on this forum.

I think you got yourself a real fine tub and did not have to spend a small fortune to do so. The simple fact about Nordic spas is that they use the same components as do the big players in the market, so if the shell works for you and what you are looking for is reliability, simple but nice jetting, not a lot of frills, than they are a excellent option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had my crown xl for about 4 years now and its running great. The service from nordic and the people are great too. We moved twice since we got it and i have rolled it on the lawn(twice)to move it with no problems.

They did have to replace the heater twice(defective) and the third one was the charm. I would get another one when the time comes.

104 Degrees

Hey all. 1st time poster and new hot tub owner here. This looks like a great forum and I hope to get and share info from time to time.

Halfshell

Would you mind telling me what you paid?? Before taxes??

104 Degrees

Halfshell,

Congrats on your purchase. I also looked into Nordic tubs a few months ago, and nearly bought one (we decided not to buy a tub for the time being). I e-mailed them with a few technical questions I had about their tubs, and their replies were quick, helpful, and detailed- I really began to appreciate how much effort they put into the design and manufacture of their tubs. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

-

What don't we like?

- Haven't found anything yet but I will be changing the standard light bulb with a multi-color LED one off ebay.

We're looking forward to many years of enjoyment from our Nordic tub!

Halfshell

I did change my lite to one that "blends" the colers and you can have them on one coler too.

104 Degrees

I also think Nordic makes a great value product and the Crown is a great choice. Personaly I like the real wood and the look of of the whole package.

Welcome to spatopia, stick around for a few years and fill us in.

104 - I paid about $4300 before taxes. We bought an 06 model and would have had to pay about $500 more for the 07. And, I already changed the regular bulb to a multi-color LED one off Ebay. It adds a lot to the enjoyment of the tub at night.

So far, the tub's been great. I think it might be using a little more electricity than I planned but it's tough to tell how much of the increase over the past couple of months is caused by just the tub.

We had one minor diverter jet issue (which I think I caused) that the dealer came out to fix. Not sure what they did because we weren't home when they showed up but both diverters work perfectly now - even better than new.

Sudzz

104 - I paid about $4300 before taxes. We bought an 06 model and would have had to pay about $500 more for the 07. And, I already changed the regular bulb to a multi-color LED one off Ebay. It adds a lot to the enjoyment of the tub at night.

So far, the tub's been great. I think it might be using a little more electricity than I planned but it's tough to tell how much of the increase over the past couple of months is caused by just the tub.

We had one minor diverter jet issue (which I think I caused) that the dealer came out to fix. Not sure what they did because we weren't home when they showed up but both diverters work perfectly now - even better than new.

Sudzz

Sounds like your happy :D . I just got Quoted 4500 for the 07 with the new lights that go around the top and the stainless steel jets. We do like are tub allot but i might just start looking for a tub with more of a set back type seating. Your tub will keep you very warm in the winter. Two winters ago it was 20 bellow zero for about two weeks, we wrapped the tub with a comferter to keep the electric cost down and it worked. Keep us posted(please) on your new love :D You will find the people at Nordic to be very friendly and helpfull. Just ask for Rose.

104---john

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Crown II in the spring of 2002. Now, 5 years later the Nordic tub is going strong. Over that time I've moved homes and brought the tub with me. Being round and relatively light I've found I can pick it up on its side and roll it along with no help.

I've had no problems with the tub at all except for a mouse who decided the cabinet would be a nice warm place to spend the winter. The mouse chewed through a couple wires so I had to replace the control panel. Other than that, not a single problem in 5 years.

I'd buy another Nordic without hesitation.

I bought a Crown II in the spring of 2002. Now, 5 years later the Nordic tub is going strong. Over that time I've moved homes and brought the tub with me. Being round and relatively light I've found I can pick it up on its side and roll it along with no help.

I've had no problems with the tub at all except for a mouse who decided the cabinet would be a nice warm place to spend the winter. The mouse chewed through a couple wires so I had to replace the control panel. Other than that, not a single problem in 5 years.

I'd buy another Nordic without hesitation.

My thoughts exactly. They are coming out with a new Website in about 4 to 6 weeks :D they have some updated tubs that will be displayed on there web. I'm thinking about a new crown or one of there square tubs. I cannot wait for the new site :D

My thoughts exactly. They are coming out with a new Website in about 4 to 6 weeks :D they have some updated tubs that will be displayed on there web. I'm thinking about a new crown or one of there square tubs. I cannot wait for the new site :D

Its really good to hear from some Nordic owners, most seem to be sharing the same feedback that they are Happy and like their tubs and felt their money was well spent. I think they are a good choice if you are not looking for a lot of frills but want a solid product.

Its really good to hear from some Nordic owners, most seem to be sharing the same feedback that they are Happy and like their tubs and felt their money was well spent. I think they are a good choice if you are not looking for a lot of frills but want a solid product.

I have been looking for other tubs in the 5000 range. There are some nice tubs but im not sure if a top companys lower end tub would be worth it in the long run. i think its better to stay with a middle of the road manufactur's top of the line tub. the company is a great company to do buisness with, the people are very helpfull.

I was told that the new crown Xl will have the water line lights and stainless steel jets. one other improvement is on there square tub and its a lounger :D it will have the water line lights and stainless steel jets too.

I hope they put a neck massager in the crown like great lakes has in there round tub :D:D it would make the deep seat great to be in.

104 degrees

• 3 weeks later...

hey i just brought home my crown xl. how is yours going? we have to wait a bit for our deck to be finished before we hook it up.

we found a deal and bought it.

i noticed that the space between the outside cabinet and inside shell is not totally full of foam. anyone here ever just unload a couple of cans of 'great stuff' in there to super insulate it? or is that a bad idea for some reason?

hey i just brought home my crown xl. how is yours going? we have to wait a bit for our deck to be finished before we hook it up.

we found a deal and bought it.

i noticed that the space between the outside cabinet and inside shell is not totally full of foam. anyone here ever just unload a couple of cans of 'great stuff' in there to super insulate it? or is that a bad idea for some reason?

No i have never done that. i have rapped the crown with two sleeping bags in very cold winters. i will do it when there is going to be close or below freezing temps. i like the no insulation in the summer, the tub runs cooler where the control box is inside.

I'm going to have a thermal blanket made for it before next winter. Lets us know how you like the crown xl. Did you get the 07 with the stainless steel jets and perimiter lights?

104 degrees :D

• 2 weeks later...

No i have never done that. i have rapped the crown with two sleeping bags in very cold winters. i will do it when there is going to be close or below freezing temps. i like the no insulation in the summer, the tub runs cooler where the control box is inside.

I'm going to have a thermal blanket made for it before next winter. Lets us know how you like the crown xl. Did you get the 07 with the stainless steel jets and perimiter lights?

104 degrees :D

it is not an 07. don't the sleeping bags get wet outside? doesn't that look a bit 'ghetto'?

I may look for a thicker top. I really thinking filling the cabinet with insulation would help alot.

it is not an 07. don't the sleeping bags get wet outside? doesn't that look a bit 'ghetto'?

I may look for a thicker top. I really thinking filling the cabinet with insulation would help alot.

No on wet"water is inside the tub". no on getto its dark at 4pm. you can put more insulation in ? it does run cooler in the summer time with out it.

• 1 year later...