Decisions Decisions - Master Spas Bad Press Questions...

pgp

My wife and I almost pulled the trigger this weekend on a Hot Springs Envoy 2010 model. Problem was, I didn't think the dealer was giving me a very good price after a bit of research online. It was $11,000 delivered with lift and cover, set-up (no electric), starter chemicals, spa school and a $89 water purifier for the garden hose. I have a $500 additional off coupon for registering on Hot Springs website. I asked for low $9K total and he refused the business. We have a neighbor 4 houses down who owns a Master Spa dealership here in town. He said he will give me a great deal on the spa after I wet test and choose. I'm looking at the 8' Legend LSX or the 8' Twilight 8.3. I'm sure he'll be around $9-$10K with all the same packages.

I've read many posts here that refuse to put Master Spas on their Top 10, let alone Top 30. Can any of you with good and bad experiences with Master Spas help clarify for me the underlying reasons? If it is purely a service issue, I know where the owner lives and he even mentioned being able to bring home the chemicals, etc whenever I needed them. My fear is we spend a chunk of change on a spa that is not top quality and will not hold up. Hot Springs seems to be great - I wet test 3 of them and love the Moto-Massage. I didn't like the LimeLight series because the jets didn't move around automatically and caused my back to itch. I plan to wet test the Twilight and Legend Master Spas in a couple days. I've even tried wet testing random spas (River Ridge 2007 model) now part of Garden Liesure line up, but the power was horrible. They claimed two 6bhp pumps, but coinstant felt more like 1hp.

I guess the real question comes down to this: Is Master Spas bad press around falsification claims and poor service, or is it because they cut corners in construction and glitz it up with underwater jet lights?

If it is a poor choice, then I may have to suck it up and play into the HS dealer's game...not looking forward to that...

I've never been a Master fan even if I were to know the dealer, but thats me. IMO the Hot Spring is superior in both quality and energy efficiency (I'd expect the Master will cost maybe half more or even double on energy use per month). I'd talk to the Hot Spring dealer and look for a number between the 11k he is asking (really 10.5k if I read that right) and the 9k you offered. Tell him you have an offer for a Master that your neighbor sells and see if that moves him a bit. Otherwise I'd look for other options before I'd look at Master, but thats me.

My wife and I almost pulled the trigger this weekend on a Hot Springs Envoy 2010 model. Problem was, I didn't think the dealer was giving me a very good price after a bit of research online. It was $11,000 delivered with lift and cover, set-up (no electric), starter chemicals, spa school and a $89 water purifier for the garden hose. I have a $500 additional off coupon for registering on Hot Springs website. I asked for low $9K total and he refused the business. We have a neighbor 4 houses down who owns a Master Spa dealership here in town. He said he will give me a great deal on the spa after I wet test and choose. I'm looking at the 8' Legend LSX or the 8' Twilight 8.3. I'm sure he'll be around $9-$10K with all the same packages.

I've read many posts here that refuse to put Master Spas on their Top 10, let alone Top 30. Can any of you with good and bad experiences with Master Spas help clarify for me the underlying reasons? If it is purely a service issue, I know where the owner lives and he even mentioned being able to bring home the chemicals, etc whenever I needed them. My fear is we spend a chunk of change on a spa that is not top quality and will not hold up. Hot Springs seems to be great - I wet test 3 of them and love the Moto-Massage. I didn't like the LimeLight series because the jets didn't move around automatically and caused my back to itch. I plan to wet test the Twilight and Legend Master Spas in a couple days. I've even tried wet testing random spas (River Ridge 2007 model) now part of Garden Liesure line up, but the power was horrible. They claimed two 6bhp pumps, but coinstant felt more like 1hp.

I guess the real question comes down to this: Is Master Spas bad press around falsification claims and poor service, or is it because they cut corners in construction and glitz it up with underwater jet lights?

If it is a poor choice, then I may have to suck it up and play into the HS dealer's game...not looking forward to that...

Seems to me you are pretty much going from one extreme to another when choosing between Master Spa and Hot Springs. Can't you find some other top brands like Sundance, Dimension 1 or Marquis? When I was looking those are the four brands I had kind of narrowed it down to, but there are no D1 or Marquis dealers very close to me so I never even looked at them.

Jim - why do you say one extreme to another? Master Spas has actually received the SpaSearch Certification 5 years in a row while Hot Springs has only received it 4 years in a row (and Hot Springs website claims that to be a HUGE prestigious award for quality). Based on that rationale Master Spas and Hot Springs are side-by-side at the top.

Exactly, based on that rational they may be side by side but that rational is just Marketing spin IMO. Master can tout their "awards" and say how they were on the TV show How-Its-Made (or should we say they paid to be on that show), or on some Extreme Makeover show and all the other things some Master person was trying to claim last month but those have no baring on their quality, energy efficiency or business practices which are the things they get dinged for. In the end those of us that work with spas daily, work with customers, see spas not only when they are new but when they are 3, 6, 9+ years old, we don't judge spas on what awards their Marketing departments can claim. I'm not a Master fan and some shiny award won't change that, but that just me.

Newbie I feel you will be much better off with the Master Spa. Unlike some others on forums, I will fully disclose my background. Don't believe everything you read. Don't believe me, look into it and double check the facts. I have been in the Spa Business for over 30 years and I have sold and serviced over 20 top brands. Here's how I would rate the top brands to buy in the US after selling thousands of spas over the years...I know some of the people on these forums and their job is to bash others and make up stories...so here is my opinion, but wet test them and you'll probably buy the LSX with the extreme therapy whirpool seat. I know many Pro & Olympic athletes that use the LSX seat to relax and rehab their injuries...

1. Master Spas

2. Sundance Spas

3. Caldera

4. Hot Springs Spas

5. Jacuzzi

6. Marquis Spas

7. D1

8. Softub

9. Free Flow Spas

10. Cal Spas

Here's why I think Master Spas is the Best...

1. Master Spas have won more important spa awards than any of the other manufactures.They won the BBB Ethics award, Consumers Digest Best Buy,The Inspire Award, Blue Chip Business award.

2. Look at the Master Spas website...It shows all the awards...these can't be made up...like the opinion of a service person or sales person that slams the competition without any proof.

3. There is no JD Powers award for spas, where recent owners rate their buying experience...but there is SpaSearch certification and ratings, where new buyers of spas rate their spas and their buying experience...Master Spas had the #1 rating with over a 95% rating out of 100 for last few years. I'm sure your local dealer can show you that and many other things...

4. The Master Spas have more powerful jets that hit all the trigger point in your body. The Master Spa Foot, Neck, Back and Shoulder jets do a really great job. I talk to many of their happy customers...

5. Master Spas are Easy to take care of because their shells are made with Microban acrylic, they use ECO PUR filters and ICYNENE insulation. Ask the dealer about why they use these...

6. Master Spas and only one other spa manufacturer (Marquis) were awarded for paying the bills on time to their suppliers in the last issue of Spa Retailer magazine...

7. Ask the Master Spa dealer if they are an Apex winning dealer. Their Apex program highlights the best of their dealers. Ask the dealer about it...

8. Ask yourself why is everyone ganging up on Master Spas? Probably because the spa line they sell doesn't have the features. Or because their sales are on the downslide and they are just sitting in their showrooms waiting for business while Master Spa dealers are teaming up with Home Shows, Boat Shows, RV Shows, renting their own venues, doing their own shows, setting up in Malls etc...

9. After the Master Dealer sells a spa, they work hard to keep the demanding public very happy so they will refer their friends back to them and the cycle goes on and on...For years Hot Springs, Jacuzzi and Sundance owned the high quality spa market and Master Spas surpassed their quality about 10 years ago. Masters' market share keeps going up while the others market share keeps going down...

10. Ask the dealer all these qusetions and many others...It seems like many other brands can only try to make up things and bash master beacause they can't really compete???

Newbie I feel you will be much better off with the Master Spa. Unlike some others on forums, I will fully disclose my background. Don't believe everything you read. Don't believe me, look into it and double check the facts. I have been in the Spa Business for over 30 years and I have sold and serviced over 20 top brands. Here's how I would rate the top brands to buy in the US after selling thousands of spas over the years...I know some of the people on these forums and their job is to bash others and make up stories...so here is my opinion, but wet test them and you'll probably buy the LSX with the extreme therapy whirpool seat. I know many Pro & Olympic athletes that use the LSX seat to relax and rehab their injuries...

1. Master Spas

2. Sundance Spas

3. Caldera

4. Hot Springs Spas

5. Jacuzzi

6. Marquis Spas

7. D1

8. Softub

9. Free Flow Spas

10. Cal Spas

1. Master Spas have won more important spa awards than any of the other manufactures.They won the BBB Ethics award, Consumers Digest Best Buy,The Inspire Award, Blue Chip Business award.

2. Look at the Master Spas website...It shows all the awards...these can't be made up...like the opinion of a service person or sales person that slams the competition without any proof.

3. There is no JD Powers award for spas, where recent owners rate their buying experience...but there is SpaSearch certification and ratings, where new buyers of spas rate their spas and their buying experience...Master Spas had the #1 rating with over a 95% rating out of 100 for last few years. I'm sure your local dealer can show you that and many other things...

4. The Master Spas have more powerful jets that hit all the trigger point in your body. The Master Spa Foot, Neck, Back and Shoulder jets do a really great job. I talk to many of their happy customers...

5. Master Spas are Easy to take care of because their shells are made with Microban acrylic, they use ECO PUR filters and ICYNENE insulation. Ask the dealer about why they use these...

6. Master Spas and only one other spa manufacturer (Marquis) were awarded for paying the bills on time to their suppliers in the last issue of Spa Retailer magazine...

7. Ask the Master Spa dealer if they are an Apex winning dealer. Their Apex program highlights the best of their dealers. Ask the dealer about it...

8. Ask yourself why is everyone ganging up on Master Spas? Probably because the spa line they sell doesn't have the features. Or because their sales are on the downslide and they are just sitting in their showrooms waiting for business while Master Spa dealers are teaming up with Home Shows, Boat Shows, RV Shows, renting their own venues, doing their own shows, setting up in Malls etc...

9. After the Master Dealer sells a spa, they work hard to keep the demanding public very happy so they will refer their friends back to them and the cycle goes on and on...For years Hot Springs, Jacuzzi and Sundance owned the high quality spa market and Master Spas surpassed their quality about 10 years ago. Masters' market share keeps going up while the others market share keeps going down...

10. Ask the dealer all these qusetions and many others...It seems like many other brands can only try to make up things and bash master beacause they can't really compete???

Riiiiiight. That might be the funniest thing I have ever read on here!!LOL.gif

This is the second time in less than a month a Master person has tried to whitewash Master's problematic reputation by parading out a bunch of meaningless awards(or should I say phony awards, espcecially some "ethics" award for Master lol, now thats irony).

I'll skip all those and comment on a couple of the non-award points that I find off base.

They use Microban as a Marketing tool, plan and simple. Its really adds nothing of value but to the uninformed consumer it "sounds" good so they tout it.

The EcoPur filters are used to drum up sales. I won't knock them for that a long as isn't paraded out as some must have product.

As far as Icylene, c'mon, its just a water based foam but one of the biggest knocks on Master is how notorious they are for being poorly insulated yet you're going to throw out some buzz word for the skimpy bit of insulation you actually spray on the shell?

Ask yourself why isn't everyone ganging up on each other here? Why does everyone seem to come down hard on Master specifically? We have dealers of Jacuzzi, Hot Spring, Arctic, Marquis, Sundance, etc. on this site and while they certainly tout their own product they'll also typically say positive things about each other as well. The fact such respect isn't generally extended to Master is not simply due to being a competitor. Its not like Master is anywhere close to being a Big Dog in the industry (where others might feel a need to pile on what are they, maybe 5% of the N.A. spa market?) so spare us on the conspiracy and collusion theories you'd like people to believe? Besides, when you do a search here and elsewhere you get plenty of responses from unsatisfied Master owners and not just the ones who've been duped by the corporate run, bait-n-switch, traveling Master Spa sales circus that you guys send around the US. As far as those awards that your Marketing people have drummed up, c'mon, we're not that naive. Of course its just my opinion.

I usually stay out of this kind of thing... BUT ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME??????????

1 2 and 3 have nothing whatsoever to do with quality.

4 is an outright lie as everyone is built different and there's no possibly way any one spa can be perfect, or even close to perfect for everyone.

5 there's ABSOLUTELY no evidence WHAT SO EVER microban has any positive, or negative effect when used in a spa. None, nada, bupkis!

6. Are you FREAKIN kidding me? What the heck does paying your bills have to do with quality????????????????????????

9... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah, What do you think half the complaints across the net are about . POOR AFTER SALES SERVICE.

10. REMEMBER! The answer to ANY question you ask a dealer will be answered in a favorable way towards that dealer. If you EVER find a deale rthat says, "my product is ok, but the guy down the street is better"....RUN DOWN THE STREET AS FAST AS YOUR LEGS CAN CARRY YOU

1. Master Spas

2. Sundance Spas

3. Caldera

4. Hot Springs Spas

5. Jacuzzi

6. Marquis Spas

7. D1

8. Softub

9. Free Flow Spas

10. Cal Spas

o.k how did you come up with this list, obviously not by like models, and the order . I can see Sundance, Caldera,Hot Springs, Jacuzzi,D1, MArquis there, the Softub, Freeflow are not in the same category for spas, and Cal Spa on the list!!!!!! and i sell a couple of these brands...., Master left our town , when the traveling circus came through a second time.

how can anyone be the best, then they have all the answers and the rest of us our wrong...what is wrong with that picture....

As for your awards, D1, Sundance ,Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, Caldera, have all won most of the awards as well , i came name them for you as well...

most spa manufacturers will show there awards on there websites , there is nothing wrong with that, you have not looked at anyothers have you?

interesting they were number one, how did you get the number... for 2010 there are 6 manufacturers on the list.

Arctic

Cal Spas

Clearwater

D1

L.A Spas

Master

on this list D1 has done it every year since they have done this,,,,,,

i also have a bridge for sale... i am not slamming Master here, but come on how can they be more powerful than anyone else, that could be your opinion , most high end spas have foot , neck, back and shoulder jets that spin, directional, pulsate, massage up and down the back..

5. Master Spas are Easy to take care of because their shells are made with Microban acrylic, they use ECO PUR filters and ICYNENE insulation. Ask the dealer about why they use these...wow, did you come up with that ,again most of your high end spas use the same shell manufacturers with Microban,,,,if the spa has a great ozone system, filtration, they do not need the fancy sales hype.....words...

6. Master Spas and only one other spa manufacturer (Marquis) were awarded for paying the bills on time to their suppliers in the last issue of Spa Retailer magazine...i cannot comment on this one have not read that article, , but i don't think manufacturer are going to let out all that info.......

7. Ask the Master Spa dealer if they are an Apex winning dealer. Their Apex program highlights the best of their dealers. Ask the dealer about it..., that would be nice , but this i belive is important but it is the dealer not the brand . it is how they take care of the customer,

8. Ask yourself why is everyone ganging up on Master Spas? Probably because the spa line they sell doesn't have the features. Or because their sales are on the downslide and they are just sitting in their showrooms waiting for business while Master Spa dealers are teaming up with Home Shows, Boat Shows, RV Shows, renting their own venues, doing their own shows, setting up in Malls etc...This is good, i do not if i want to cry right now or laugh,,,, most of us on here that are regulars, do not slam or gang up on one particular brand we do talk from experience. I do not want Master in our store, i am selling spas quite well and very happy with my brands, If they are doing what you said , why would are dealer in our area drop them,flooring issues from G.E, do noit have confidance in the product,if what your saying is true why would he drop theline,,, your tag on going to homeshows is great for you , then keep doing it, it gets old when your town has home show after home show after builder show and the consumer sees the same brands in there and always have the same pricing , alot of these consumers are getting smart about the "show Deals"

9. After the Master Dealer sells a spa, they work hard to keep the demanding public very happy so they will refer their friends back to them and the cycle goes on and on...For years Hot Springs, Jacuzzi and Sundance owned the high quality spa market and Master Spas surpassed their quality about 10 years ago. Masters' market share keeps going up while the others market share keeps going down... I do not know about that, see the answers from above,,, i believe it is the dealer that makes it not a particular brand. we sell a spa, we deliver the spa, we service the spa, we sell the chemicals and take care of the customers not the manufaturer, and likewise we get a lot of referals, and i do not sell Master Spas,,,,

You the consumers shopping now a very smart , they are checking sites like these and doing there homework, most of them i believe can smell and bad deal from a good one, Oh, and by the way our dealership is also spasearch retailer certified,,,

so i had to put my response but i really liked Dr Spas on this one..you to Spatech

1. Master Spas

2. Sundance Spas

3. Caldera

4. Hot Springs Spas

5. Jacuzzi

6. Marquis Spas

7. D1

8. Softub

9. Free Flow Spas

10. Cal Spas

o.k how did you come up with this list, obviously not by like models, and the order . I can see Sundance, Caldera,Hot Springs, Jacuzzi,D1, MArquis there, the Softub, Freeflow are not in the same category for spas, and Cal Spa on the list!!!!!! and i sell a couple of these brands...., Master left our town , when the traveling circus came through a second time.

how can anyone be the best, then they have all the answers and the rest of us our wrong...what is wrong with that picture....1. Master Spas have won more important spa awards than any of the other manufactures.They won the BBB Ethics award, Consumers Digest Best Buy,The Inspire Award, Blue Chip Business award.

As for your awards, D1, Sundance ,Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, Caldera, have all won most of the awards as well , i came name them for you as well...

most spa manufacturers will show there awards on there websites , there is nothing wrong with that, you have not looked at anyothers have you?

interesting they were number one, how did you get the number... for 2010 there are 6 manufacturers on the list.

Arctic

Cal Spas

Clearwater

D1

L.A Spas

Master

on this list D1 has done it every year since they have done this,,,,,,

i also have a bridge for sale... i am not slamming Master here, but come on how can they be more powerful than anyone else, that could be your opinion , most high end spas have foot , neck, back and shoulder jets that spin, directional, pulsate, massage up and down the back..

5. Master Spas are Easy to take care of because their shells are made with Microban acrylic, they use ECO PUR filters and ICYNENE insulation. Ask the dealer about why they use these...wow, did you come up with that ,again most of your high end spas use the same shell manufacturers with Microban,,,,if the spa has a great ozone system, filtration, they do not need the fancy sales hype.....words...

6. Master Spas and only one other spa manufacturer (Marquis) were awarded for paying the bills on time to their suppliers in the last issue of Spa Retailer magazine...i cannot comment on this one have not read that article, , but i don't think manufacturer are going to let out all that info.......

7. Ask the Master Spa dealer if they are an Apex winning dealer. Their Apex program highlights the best of their dealers. Ask the dealer about it..., that would be nice , but this i belive is important but it is the dealer not the brand . it is how they take care of the customer,

8. Ask yourself why is everyone ganging up on Master Spas? Probably because the spa line they sell doesn't have the features. Or because their sales are on the downslide and they are just sitting in their showrooms waiting for business while Master Spa dealers are teaming up with Home Shows, Boat Shows, RV Shows, renting their own venues, doing their own shows, setting up in Malls etc...This is good, i do not if i want to cry right now or laugh,,,, most of us on here that are regulars, do not slam or gang up on one particular brand we do talk from experience. I do not want Master in our store, i am selling spas quite well and very happy with my brands, If they are doing what you said , why would are dealer in our area drop them,flooring issues from G.E, do noit have confidance in the product,if what your saying is true why would he drop theline,,, your tag on going to homeshows is great for you , then keep doing it, it gets old when your town has home show after home show after builder show and the consumer sees the same brands in there and always have the same pricing , alot of these consumers are getting smart about the "show Deals"

9. After the Master Dealer sells a spa, they work hard to keep the demanding public very happy so they will refer their friends back to them and the cycle goes on and on...For years Hot Springs, Jacuzzi and Sundance owned the high quality spa market and Master Spas surpassed their quality about 10 years ago. Masters' market share keeps going up while the others market share keeps going down... I do not know about that, see the answers from above,,, i believe it is the dealer that makes it not a particular brand. we sell a spa, we deliver the spa, we service the spa, we sell the chemicals and take care of the customers not the manufaturer, and likewise we get a lot of referals, and i do not sell Master Spas,,,,

You the consumers shopping now a very smart , they are checking sites like these and doing there homework, most of them i believe can smell and bad deal from a good one, Oh, and by the way our dealership is also spasearch retailer certified,,,

so i had to put my response but i really liked Dr Spas on this one..you to Spatech

1. Master Spas

2. Sundance Spas

3. Caldera

4. Hot Springs Spas

5. Jacuzzi

6. Marquis Spas

7. D1

8. Softub

9. Free Flow Spas

10. Cal Spas

Ya see, now this is why Masterspa struggles. I have a vision of a guy opening a plaid jacket with photos of spas taped inside!!

what happened to spa sales rep. he replies ,they are the best. the rest of us reply our opinions and he is gone? did he take his ball and go home?

Last month Deron from corporate Master was on the other site telling everyone how Master was great with the same "look at our many awards" approach. When a few responded on how bogus those awards were and brought up the traveling spa circus scam he too disappeared quickly. They apparently thought we'd be blinded by their shiny trophies but forgot that many of us here are savvy to the spa business. Maybe they are off trying to invent a new award to roll out like "most discussed spa brand" or "#1 selling road show spa per Snake Oil Magazine".

what happened to spa sales rep. he replies ,they are the best. the rest of us reply our opinions and he is gone? did he take his ball and go home?

Last month Deron from corporate Master was on the other site telling everyone how Master was great with the same "look at our many awards" approach. When a few responded on how bogus those awards were and brought up the traveling spa circus scam he too disappeared quickly. They apparently thought we'd be blinded by their shiny trophies but forgot that many of us here are savvy to the spa business. Maybe they are off trying to invent a new award to roll out like "most discussed spa brand" or "#1 selling road show spa per Snake Oil Magazine".

Spatech,

yesh i remember that on the other site,, man i can't control myself i about fell out of my chair laughing at this...right on i needed a good laugh today. we are slow n the store......

Lest we forget about the rebate program! Make 13 3 pointers in a row with a full moon at the same time your car is idling with 3 pounds of air in the passenger rear tire and then you qualify!!

pgp,

Sorry folks have called you "Newbie". When you first register on a forum like this you are given a "rank" which in this case is "Newbie" since you've made very few posts. Anyhow, as you can see there's much debate over Master Spas. I would tend to agree with the spa professionals on this site that by comparing Master Spa and Hot Spring you're comparing two very different things. Hot Spring is well respected as an industry leader, where as Master Spas... well you've seen the banter.

If you've test soaked three of the Hot Spring models and have liked them, I'd say you're on the right track. They're a quality, efficient hot tub made by a manufacturer who's been in business over 30 years. They are owned by Masco Corporation (think Behr Paints, Delta Faucets, Kraftmaid Cabinetry, etc). The nice thing with this, is not only do they have a very solid backing, but because they are part of a Fortune 500 company they are subject to much more public scrutiny (and therefore have to run a tighter ship).

Anyhow, good luck in your hot tub shopping! I hope all works out for the best, and you find the hot tub which is best for you and your family.