Hmmm.....take The Snow Off The Cover....or Leave It On?

bart6453

What do you guys think? Should I take the snow off....or leave it on the cover until I am ready to use the tub?

I have a good cover, with the higher density foam so support is not an issue.

It has about 10" of snow on it now.....do you think it is helping insulate much?

Just curious and bored with nothing to do but watch it snow.

What do you guys think? Should I take the snow off....or leave it on the cover until I am ready to use the tub?

I have a good cover, with the higher density foam so support is not an issue.

It has about 10" of snow on it now.....do you think it is helping insulate much?

Just curious and bored with nothing to do but watch it snow.

I would worry about the weight of the snow causing problems with the cover. I tend to shovel off the cover when there are several inches on it, or if I am going to use it. That snow can get really heavy.

I wouldn't worry about damage, but I was shocked to find how much heavier my cover was last night with only a couple inches of snow on it. So, for ease sake, you might want to brush it off.

I'm having a different issue though...

My cover's skirt, the 4 inch portion that hangs down over the edge, has a crimp in it that keeps getting folded under right by the cover mate bracket. I think this will cause some heat lose. I keep pulling it out, but it's a bit of a pain.

If you slowly heat the vinyl with a hair drier, you should be able to flatten and smooth out the "crimp".

My cover's skirt, the 4 inch portion that hangs down over the edge, has a crimp in it that keeps getting folded under right by the cover mate bracket. I think this will cause some heat lose. I keep pulling it out, but it's a bit of a pain.

10" is a lot of snow. I would be worried that it may eventually start to cause the cover to sag before it melts.

It's funny how quickly you get used to the idea of feet of snow....I really didn't think much about it...I mean it's only 10" of snow right?

Then I started to think..really...that is quite a bit. Good thing I cleaned it off...we are waist deep now....and getting more.

I hate snow!

10" is a lot of snow. I would be worried that it may eventually start to cause the cover to sag before it melts.

It's funny how quickly you get used to the idea of feet of snow....I really didn't think much about it...I mean it's only 10" of snow right?

Then I started to think..really...that is quite a bit. Good thing I cleaned it off...we are waist deep now....and getting more.

I hate snow!

I had a guy come up to me the other day and start complaining about the cold and snow. I asked him if he had a brain tumor or was sick or something, he said no. I then proceeded to call him an idiot for choosing northern Minnesota to live in if he didn't like the cold and snow because for the last 51 years of my life it has never been warm and sunny in the winter in Minnesota. And somehow maybe that slipped by him or he's an idiot.

I hate snow!

I had a guy come up to me the other day and start complaining about the cold and snow. I asked him if he had a brain tumor or was sick or something, he said no. I then proceeded to call him an idiot for choosing northern Minnesota to live in if he didn't like the cold and snow because for the last 51 years of my life it has never been warm and sunny in the winter in Minnesota. And somehow maybe that slipped by him or he's an idiot.

I shouldnt complain....I know what I am in for!

I have one hell of a bad attitude this week....a couple of feet of snow to shovel and a full blown case of Pneumonia......thought I was going to die on the sidewalk yesterday!

I hate snow!

I have one hell of a bad attitude this week....a couple of feet of snow to shovel and a full blown case of Pneumonia......thought I was going to die on the sidewalk yesterday!

From a fellow northerner, one word:

Snowblower.

B)

I hate snow!

Snowblower.

B)

Oh yeah.....was all excited to use my new one.....and on the first pull of the handle....bang, the head gasket blew out. Too bad I had already sold my old one...great luck this week for me!

I hate snow!

Snowblower.

B)

Oh yeah.....was all excited to use my new one.....and on the first pull of the handle....bang, the head gasket blew out. Too bad I had already sold my old one...great luck this week for me!

Come on down to Tennessee!!!

:D

For the last 20 or so years I have had a plow on my big ugly chevy truck, which is cool, but creates a different set of problems (more friends during a storm than time in the day to except their offers for beer) But this year I left my plow at work for the yards and parking lots there. I have a 4' blade on my 4 wheeler that when tilted all the way zips up my side walks real slick. And because of it's manuverability versus my 3/4 ton, 8' box extra cab pickup it's quiker in the drive. Way more personal snow removal, just dress warm and no radio.

For snowblowers, always go TORO. They never let me down. Took four inches or so out just yesterday with mine.

Toro makes some pretty good units, but for my money, buy a Simplicity. Some of the best snowblowers on the market. I had a 1969 model that worked perfectly. Two years ago I gave it to my brother and upgraded to a newer one that can launch the snow over my house.

Don't waste your money on a cheap off-brand, like MTD or Craftsman. They will be okay for a few years, but they don't last over the long run.

Buy a Simplicity and you won't have to worry about buying another blower for a long time.

I would rank blowers as #1) Simplicity, #2) Toro, and #3) Ariens.

Just don't use them on top of your hot tub cover. :lol:

Amen on the snow plow and friends. I had more people that didn't want to pay me $5 for a driveway clearing, but they're all in a panic on the phone when we get deeper snow and I only had time for paying customers and family. I think I was happier when I got rid of the plow.

I bought a new Honda snowblower last year that worked very well. Started and ran very reliably. The only thing that ticked me off was the steel handle to adjust the chute; when you turned it to the side the handle sticks out well beyond the side of the snowblower. Unfortunately, I opened my garage in early spring and found my new honda snowblower was gone. It was ~$600 plus tax, and my homeowners deductible is $500. If I took the $100 it counts as a claim against my homeowners, and another claim in a certain amount of time would increase my rate for a few years, costing me waaaaaaaaay more than $100.

Buy a Simplicity and you won't have to worry about buying another blower for a long time.

I have a track driven John Deere that while underpowered IMO for the 26" width is about 15 years old and the 5 HP briggs is still solid. 2 Pulls.

I have a track driven John Deere that while underpowered IMO for the 26" width is about 15 years old and the 5 HP briggs is still solid. 2 Pulls.

I don't think John Deere sells snowblowers anymore. When they did, the snowblowers were actually made by Ariens, so they were very good units. I think my brother has a John Deere for his house, and then my old Simplicity at his cabin.

Oh, and I forgot about Honda snowblowers. I have heard they are awesome. But they are expensive.

What ever you do don't use a shovel to remove last inch of snow on cover. The shovel put a rip in our old hot tub cover or should I say I did by getting to close!

I use a push broom to clear snow off my cover. It works great, and I can sweep the entire cover from one side of the tub.

I use the Spa cover cap in the winter, makes snow removal easier.

Ice and slush tend to just slide off with ease compared to just the cover and there

is less of a chance of ripping your expensive cover.

Also in the cold months I use a good thermal blanket.....its more work but

seems to keep the heat in better.

Oh both of these were purchased from RHTubs, this is my second season...so far so good !

John