Cal Spa Quality

icewoz

I'm a first time tub buyer doing my research.

I live in the Detroit area and am quite surprised by the lack of choices we have here. Hot Spring is very prevalent with 5 dealers in the Metro area. However, I'm not totally comfortable in any of their spas.

I was impressed with a couple of tubs the Jacuzzi dealer had, but he didn't have the exact model I was looking for (J355/J465). He was able to give me the name of a customer that I can call that had one for a possible wet test.

I stopped at a Cal Spa/Marquis dealer yesterday. Very few Marquis tubs on display, but 2 of the Cal Spa tubs caught my attention (EIII748L-Escape Series and FII745B-Family Series II). Only dry testing the Escape model, was the first model with a lounger that I felt comfortable in. I'm seriously thinking about doing a wet test on both, and, the prices were almost $2000 less than other makers with similar designs.

However, when I did a search on "How good are Cal Spa hot tubs", I was shocked at the amount of negative comments/issues others have had. I did not see this come up with other manufacturers.

Can anyone offer their opinions on Cal Spa.

I'm a first time tub buyer doing my research.

I live in the Detroit area and am quite surprised by the lack of choices we have here. Hot Spring is very prevalent with 5 dealers in the Metro area. However, I'm not totally comfortable in any of their spas.

I was impressed with a couple of tubs the Jacuzzi dealer had, but he didn't have the exact model I was looking for (J355/J465). He was able to give me the name of a customer that I can call that had one for a possible wet test.

I stopped at a Cal Spa/Marquis dealer yesterday. Very few Marquis tubs on display, but 2 of the Cal Spa tubs caught my attention (EIII748L-Escape Series and FII745B-Family Series II). Only dry testing the Escape model, was the first model with a lounger that I felt comfortable in. I'm seriously thinking about doing a wet test on both, and, the prices were almost $2000 less than other makers with similar designs.

However, when I did a search on "How good are Cal Spa hot tubs", I was shocked at the amount of negative comments/issues others have had. I did not see this come up with other manufacturers.

Can anyone offer their opinions on Cal Spa.

I've never been a fan of Cal but check out all your options and don't put much stock in dry sitting other than the fact it can give you a feel for depth. Wet tests all eeh options you have and don't be shocked if you get very enlightened, wet testing tells a lot.

I would just like to tell you that I have been a CalSpas owner for almost 2 years, and everyone who gets in it loves it. It is the Avalon model. It has the longest lounger that I tested. It has huge, powerful GE pumps. Balboa controls. It gets used 8-12 hours a day on alot of occasions. Absolutely no problems. For the money, they are hard to beat.

Hi there icewoz.

In your visits to the Hot Spring dealers, did any of them have their Tiger River or Limelight models on display? The seating styles are different in those two model lines, and some of my customers really end up liking the difference. Definitely sit in the hot tubs (even if they are empty). But keep in mind, full of water, every seat will feel a bit different since something like 80% of your body becomes buoyant in a spa.

You might also look up your local Sundance Spa dealer. They make a pretty good spa too.

I have always found it funny that Cal Spas advertises that they use GE motors. In my experience, GE motors have more problems than any other motor out there.

I have 6-8 customers that had GE in there 4-5 YO Cals that burned up and I have replaced them with Sta-Rite. Seems those GE's just ain't doing it.

I have always found it funny that Cal Spas advertises that they use GE motors. In my experience, GE motors have more problems than any other motor out there.

I have 6-8 customers that had GE in there 4-5 YO Cals that burned up and I have replaced them with Sta-Rite. Seems those GE's just ain't doing it.

You guys are correct but we know Cal throws that line out there because they know "GE" is a recognizable name and they hope the general public just assumes that is a plus. That is Cal in a nutshell where the Marketability of the pump seems more important than the function of it. I think it works because shoppers that come to these sites always parrot the sales person by saying "and it has GE pumps".

How would the largest US motor manufacturer, or one of the largest spa makers remain in business if they produced junk how you are saying? GE motors are fully rebuildable. Anyway, they were probably still under warranty, but you don't make nearly as much money off of that.

How would the largest US motor manufacturer, or one of the largest spa makers remain in business if they produced junk how you are saying? GE motors are fully rebuildable. Anyway, they were probably still under warranty, but you don't make nearly as much money off of that.

I have the Costco CalSpa that they sold last year (bought April '08) (www.hottuboc.com - the 850 model) - It has a 5 year warranty on parts/labor and so far has been great - obvioulsy too early to tell on the pump life time etc but energy costs have been very low perhaps $20-$25 tops extra per month in electric during Seattle winters (and we had a crazy cold winter this last year versus normal - was in the teens for a fair amount of time in Dec etc).

Good luck getting 5 years parts and labor on a Cal Spa! Let us know how that warranty works when something breaks.

It is an interesting combination. Cal has the reputation of stonewalling/ignoring customers (and dealers) looking for warranty parts, reimbusement, etc. On the other hand now they are selling some spas through Costco who has the reputation of helping the customer and pushing the supplier to take back bad product.

I did have a replaceable ozone cell go out at 10 months when it had a 12 month warranty. They came out to put in a new one, but I told them I would replace it because I was going to change the water first, so they just gave me the new one. I took the old one apart and it turned out that the old one just needed cleaning and it is still going strong.

There are so many dealers and people on this board with hidden agenda's that it is ridicoulous. CalSpas didn't get to be the giant they are and wouldn't still be in business after 30 years if they made junk. Word of mouth travels and I got alot of recommendations for them and I give recommendations for them if someone asks. Most hot tub manufacturers only dream of selling the amount of hot tubs that Calspas does. Is there room for improvement? Sure, but show me 1 manufacturer that doesn't need improvement.

I think you would be surprised at how much market share Cal Spas has lost over the last few years. They're still in the top 10, but there are several large markets where they don't even exist any more. If I was a Cal Spas dealer, I would be furious about them selling spas through Costco.

I'll tell ya why these pumps were not covered under warranty. The seals were garbage and leaked after a couple years. The customer didn't notice it untill they leaked the GE motors into junk. The seals are not covered. Cal would not cover the motor. They were replaced with Sta-Rite and Waterway with Viton seals. They will outlast the GE and whatever pump they slap on by double if not more and they cost less.

Rebuilding costs 200-250. New Sta-Rite/Waterway cost 250-300. Rebuild junk or buy new mediocre.

Good luck getting 5 years parts and labor on a Cal Spa! Let us know how that warranty works when something breaks.

A Cal Spa warranty is only as good as the dealer selling the spa is. The GE motors are definately not the best, just ok. I think the biggest problem with them was as soon as the pump seal would start to leak it would wash out the motor bearings quickly. Cal is what it is, a descent quality spa. If the price is competitive and the dealer is good, then you should be ok. How much are they asking for the Escape 748L?

A Cal Spa warranty is only as good as the dealer selling the spa is. The GE motors are definately not the best, just ok. I think the biggest problem with them was as soon as the pump seal would start to leak it would wash out the motor bearings quickly. Cal is what it is, a descent quality spa. If the price is competitive and the dealer is good, then you should be ok. How much are they asking for the Escape 748L?

For the Escape 748L, he's asking around $6100 with cover, lifter and steps.

The seals ARE Covered under the warranty. Read it.

They may be now who knows and who cares. At the time they were not but these customers won't have to worry about it anymore. They now have better motors, pumps and seals. Remember I do not do warranty work unless specificly asked by a dealer, then I bill that dealer. I work for me and get paid by the customer. No exceptions. If a customer chooses to chase warranty that's there option. I provide a bill for them to do that with. We no longer have a Cal dealer in our area as they just did not make the grade here in Northern Minnesota.

I think jacuzzi costs more cause they were first and have the biggest brand name.costco carrying calspas says that there is a certain minimum quality level and thet calspas can crank out enough of them to keep costco in stock.

Systemes roulette

Full Tilt Poker rake back

Costco is a stand up company. I shop there weekly, and love their return policy and such. They're a no hassle company for their members. Now and again you can find good stuff there, for instance my Sundance competitor was on display in Costco this last week. Aside from them, I personally wouldn't buy a hot tub through Costco. They tend to be very inexpensive spas, and as such simply cannot have the same quality parts, Research & Development, etc. And unfortunately, I've had too many folks tell me their own bad stories about difficulties with getting support for the spa they bought through Costco. The great thing of course, is that Costco requires their vendors to take returns (or at least Costco takes them).

I'd buy a TV from Costco any day though. :) And their packaged Corn on the Cob is surprisingly very good.

The seals ARE Covered under the warranty. Read it.

Reeferman, i am going to have to disagree with your statement for their warranty,

#1 they do not cover pump seals, when you look at the 2009 owners manual, it covers the wet end for defects... seals usually fail from chemical imbalance, i soldCal Spas and tried to warranty seals, they were denied..explanation was chemical caused,,,

#2 some of there models have a 5 year on parts and labor, some have 3 i believe

#3 the Oc Tubs have a 5 year structure,2 year finish, 2year parts, i year labor.

#4 in the 2004 dealer book they had a one time pump replacement under there cal clear water care system...

#5 most manufacturers do not cover seals on wet ends.......

#6 i can tell you i replaced more G.E pumps then i have Aqua FLo and Starite pumps.

#7 on Cals warranty look on page 48 and 49 for warranty and exclusions.On the OC line i believe it was page 17 and 18.....

#8 Pump seals would not be a problem if you pay attentions to chemical balance....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

First let me say I don't know much about spa's but I'm trying to learn. LOL thats the reason for joining this fourm.

Now for the Cal-spa

My wife bought this spa from a guy off Craigslist for 300.00 I didn't have anything to do with looking at it or buying it, she just called me and said we need to pick it up when I get off work,

When we get there it is a cal-spa all I know is it a 1999 year model, has like 39 total jets, seats 6 people the wood slding is in very bad shape, the guy told me it had water in it but had not run in at least a year, the wireing had been disconnted, so not test run. so we drained it and with alot of cusing got it loaded on the trailer,

Fast forward, I bulit a deck for it to drop down into, I was figuring on the worst case I would have to replace maybe the controler and maybe the pumps but still figured it would be cheaper than a new one,

Got the GFCI box wired in on friday, it was late when we finished and no water in the spa

Sat morning filled the spa, cut the power on at the breaker box and she fired up and started running, walked over to the hit the jet button and ran through the speeds on the pumps everything worked great, light worked, mister is working a little, took the mister jets out and have them soaking to try and clean them up, pumps ran great checked and so far no leaks,

The heater is the only thing not working, its a XL heater 5.5 and I think the pressure switch is why its not working, its broke off where I think it goes, but with texas heat the water was @ 92 and we had a blast setting in and enjoying it,

I don't know about there warranty, but to me for a 10 Y/O SPA it looks like they are built very good.