Eco One Or Spa Solution

alanr

Hi there, this is my first post although I have spent a lot of time reading the board and have gained a lot of knowledge - thank you to those regular posters that have contributed to my water chemistry knowledge.

I have had my tub since last October and have been struggling with severe rash since December. I have been using the Omni Synergy system and have visted the doctor many times and his only conclusion after a couple of different treatments is that I am severly allergic to something in that system. I have been referred to an allergist but in the meantime I need to find a different system.

I have noticed that some of you speak well of the Eco One system and I am considering this. I have also been reading about another system called Spa Solution (http://www.spasolutionbc.com). Does anyone have any experience with Spa Solution? Is it essentially the same as Eco One?

At this point I am leaning towards ordering the Eco One starter kit. My understanding is that you use their flush product for 14 days, refill, and then start with their monthly treatment along with adding 1 tsp of dichlor per bather after each use to maintain a free chlorine level around 1ppm. It sounds to simple to be true - am I understanding the system correctly or is there more to it than just this?

Thanks in advance for any answers or advice offered.

Hi there, this is my first post although I have spent a lot of time reading the board and have gained a lot of knowledge - thank you to those regular posters that have contributed to my water chemistry knowledge.

I have had my tub since last October and have been struggling with severe rash since December. I have been using the Omni Synergy system and have visted the doctor many times and his only conclusion after a couple of different treatments is that I am severly allergic to something in that system. I have been referred to an allergist but in the meantime I need to find a different system.

I have noticed that some of you speak well of the Eco One system and I am considering this. I have also been reading about another system called Spa Solution (http://www.spasolutionbc.com). Does anyone have any experience with Spa Solution? Is it essentially the same as Eco One?

At this point I am leaning towards ordering the Eco One starter kit. My understanding is that you use their flush product for 14 days, refill, and then start with their monthly treatment along with adding 1 tsp of dichlor per bather after each use to maintain a free chlorine level around 1ppm. It sounds to simple to be true - am I understanding the system correctly or is there more to it than just this?

Have you ever heard the saying, "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is". If you want my opinion, I'd stay away from Eco One, Spa Solution or any other Enzyme based system. None are FDA approved as sanitizers in Spas.

Your rash could be caused by an alergic reaction to some chemical, but it could also be caused by too little sanitizer (which means you have an infection). I'm not a doctor, but my guess is the latter. If you want my advice, I would tell you to decontaminate your tub and start over using Chlorine. If you still have skin issues after that, you can switch to Nature2. If that doesn't work you're last chance will be Biguanide.

Check out my links below for more info on Decontaminating and Maintaining your water using Chlorine.

Spa Solution? This is a new one for me. Had to check it out. OMG! How funny. If I had to bet, I'd say it's owned by a Kelly Marks (one of a number of names he's used), the original ...hmmm, "marketer" of a product called The Natural Hot Tub (everything about the site duplicates other similar sites he's had over the years). Looks like the EPA ran him out of the USA, finally (though, they never were actually able to catch him). At least he's getting a little better, if you look under the Hints section;

4. Spa Solution is compatible with ozonators, chlorine and bromine. We recommend that your local government guidelines regarding appropriate sanitizer levels be followed.

I don't know anywhere that this is any less than the basic chlorine or bromine guidelines everyone preaches here.

Have you looked into Baqua Spa or Softswim programs. Non Chlorine based

• 4 weeks later...

There are many people who have had success with enzymes. The two that seem to be most popular are Eco One and The Natural (which can be purchased as rhtubs.com). They naturally run at a higher pH and you have to rinse your filters often. You also must use it with a low level of chlorine or bromine for proper sanitiation.

There are many people who have had success with enzymes. The two that seem to be most popular are Eco One and The Natural (which can be purchased as rhtubs.com). They naturally run at a higher pH and you have to rinse your filters often. You also must use it with a low level of chlorine or bromine for proper sanitiation.

i have read the material on ecosmarte system and it sounds really good for people who dont want to sit in a bunch of chemicals...looks like there are not many using this system though,if it was that good i would think more people would be using it

Some people love it and some people hate it as noted here. It's basically a copper ion system so you need to keep the pH low to prevent staining. The part about oxygen radicals is essentially useless and should be ignored. It does not use a supplemental disinfectant in the bulk pool water so won't kill pathogens nearly as quickly as chlorine. For a residential pool, this may not be as big of an issue, but for a commercial/public pool where one person can infect many, such systems are not allowed because they simply do not kill bacteria or viruses quickly enough to prevent person-to-person transmission. You also need to use some sort of oxidizer (with or without enzymes) to get rid of bather waste and keep the pool clear.

what type of oxidizer do you recommend, they say to hit it with a little non chlorine shock every once in a while

The most common is potassium monopersulfate (MPS) non-chlorine shock.

• 1 month later...

Eco One made our tub smell like fish. We switched to Aquafinesse. My wife loves it. She says it makes her skin soft. We have tried alot of things and this is the best we have found.

• 3 months later...

Ive used spa solution for 5 years and it works great. I havent had chlorine or bromine in my tub, except for shocking purposes, for 5 years

• 5 months later...

Have you looked at using Spa Marvel. Its an enzyme based solution for spas that greatly reduces the need for chemicals. I was unable to use my hot tub for 8 months because of the rashes I was getting from the chemicals. Since I started using Spa Marvel I no longer get rashes. We buy it at our local Home Hardware but I am not sure if its available where you live. You can always check out their website to see if they sell direct. www.spamarvel.com

So are you using Spa Marvel with a smaller amount of chlorine, or with no sanitizer at all? If it's a really good enzyme, then it should reduce chlorine demand as the sweat and urine from bather load should break down via the enzyme (technically from dissolved oxygen oxidizing bather waste where the enzyme accelerates this process). However, if the enzyme just accelerates chlorine oxidation of bather waste, then it will still take a lot of chlorine to do so.

• 1 month later...

Have you looked at using Spa Marvel. Its an enzyme based solution for spas that greatly reduces the need for chemicals. I was unable to use my hot tub for 8 months because of the rashes I was getting from the chemicals. Since I started using Spa Marvel I no longer get rashes. We buy it at our local Home Hardware but I am not sure if its available where you live. You can always check out their website to see if they sell direct. www.spamarvel.com

I think you should look at spasolutionbc.com. Ive been using it for 5 years and it works. Look up the website, call the guy and talk to him. I do not use chemicals in my tub because of that stuff, and everything is fine. I'll never use anything else.

Hi there

I've been hooked on this forum for a few weeks now. Thanks to all for the information and advice posted.

I have very sensitive skin and have always itched and had to plaster cream on after swimming or going in a hot tub (even a shower or bath). I got my hot tub (HotSpring Jetsetter) 4 weeks ago and have already started EcoOne. I'm using it with lower levels of chlorine and have no itching, don't have to shower afterwards and usually don't need to use any cream at all! (Water is also crystal clear.) It's early days, but I'm delighted with it.

Only problem is stabilizer level is already heading too high. Before starting EcoOne I was advised to keep chlorine at a higher level than necessary, probably not allowing for the ozonator and silver ions, and then to change to MPS but shock with a large amount of Dichlor because of my skin problem. I won't be operating like that again! Is there any reason not to use non-stabilized chlorine shock or granules intended for a pool once there is a residue of stabilizer in the water? My tap water has no calcium at all, so it won't matter if calcium is added with the chlorine.

Thanks in anticipation.

You can certainly use a variation of the Dichlor-then-bleach method but at the lower level that works for you in the Eco One system.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see another happy AquaFinesse customer on this board has tried our product.

<!--quoteo(post=77458:date=Apr 16 2009, 04:09 PM:name=alanr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alanr @ Apr 16 2009, 04:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=77458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi there, this is my first post although I have spent a lot of time reading the board and have gained a lot of knowledge - thank you to those regular posters that have contributed to my water chemistry knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any answers or advice offered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eco One made our tub smell like fish. We switched to Aquafinesse. My wife loves it. She says it makes her skin soft. We have tried alot of things and this is the best we have found.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you should look at spasolutionbc.com. Ive been using it for 5 years and it works. Look up the website, call the guy and talk to him. I do not use chemicals in my tub because of that stuff, and everything is fine. I'll never use anything else.

I tried it out. Spa Marvel works better for us. Its also costs less. Its listed on their website www.spamarvel.com for $49.95 and they ship it to me for free.

So are you using Spa Marvel with a smaller amount of chlorine, or with no sanitizer at all? If it's a really good enzyme, then it should reduce chlorine demand as the sweat and urine from bather load should break down via the enzyme (technically from dissolved oxygen oxidizing bather waste where the enzyme accelerates this process). However, if the enzyme just accelerates chlorine oxidation of bather waste, then it will still take a lot of chlorine to do so.

If its just me and my wife using the the tub we don't bother using any chlorine and the water stays good for several months. So far the longest time period with just one treatment has been 5 months (although if you go to the Spa Marvel website they recommend one treatment every 3 months). If we have a bunch of friends over for a hot tub party, we sometimes will use some chlorine.

Spa Marvel is enzymes so is not a sanitizer/disinfectant and has not been registered with the EPA as a pesticide nor has it been demonstrated to pass EPS DIS/TSS-12 to demonstrate that it kills bacteria nor has it been shown to inactivate viruses. It probably does a decent job oxidizing bather waste since it contains enzymes so that's good otherwise you'd be soaking in your own sweat and urine.