Frozen Spa

OK, so we bought a new spa in the summer and all was fine... when winter came, logic told us to empty the darn thing and cover it up. Sales guy said that I should keep it on forever, but electric bills started coming in a bit too high for us. I opened the spa today because it started warming up and I thought I might give it a run. Well, I filled it with water, turned it on and you can hear the pump humming, then stopping, humming and then stopping again. I would assume that water froze in the pipes and the pump. I will empty the spa to avoid it from cracking. My question would be, do I have a ruined spa?

You can be blunt, I totally deserve the punishment for not asking the sales guy what to do if I wanted to empty it.

Thanks

OK, so we bought a new spa in the summer and all was fine... when winter came, logic told us to empty the darn thing and cover it up. Sales guy said that I should keep it on forever, but electric bills started coming in a bit too high for us. I opened the spa today because it started warming up and I thought I might give it a run. Well, I filled it with water, turned it on and you can hear the pump humming, then stopping, humming and then stopping again. I would assume that water froze in the pipes and the pump. I will empty the spa to avoid it from cracking. My question would be, do I have a ruined spa?

You can be blunt, I totally deserve the punishment for not asking the sales guy what to do if I wanted to empty it.

Thanks

If there was no water leaking and the issue was only the humming I would guess that you simply have an air lock in the pump. Don't drain it, simply loosen the nut at the pump very slightly to allow the air to escape and then turn it back on and all may be fine.

Thanks

If there was no water leaking and the issue was only the humming I would guess that you simply have an air lock in the pump. Don't drain it, simply loosen the nut at the pump very slightly to allow the air to escape and then turn it back on and all may be fine.

Thank you! Well, I did see the nut but it was too tight... did not want to force it in case I'd make it worse. I'll wait until it warms up a bit more and give it a try. (It's getting too cold to work outdoors.) Nonetheless I appreciate your answer... at least my 4K did not go down the drain! Peace.

Thanks

From someone who is dealing with the same issue..due to replacement of parts in cold weather.. YES it probably does have a freeze.... ours has been down since NOV.. I keep thinking one day closer to warm weather.. it probably isn't an airlock. But if it has been cold, I live in Maine it is mostly frozen pipes..

Mine airlocked when I first started it and when I drain it. Mine has a black plastic bleeder fitting on the pump housing that you can unscrew to bleed it. Perhaps yours does to? I also use a plunger without handle to pump water in the filter intake. Seems to help.

Well, I filled it with water, turned it on and you can hear the pump humming, then stopping, humming and then stopping again.

The starting, then stopping, starting, stopping, is not indicative of an air lock. It more indicates the pump is turning on, is NOT turning, which is causing it to over heat, and shut down. IOt then cools, and tries to start back up again. Could just be bearing gone bad through not being used for a while.

Mine airlocked when I first started it and when I drain it. Mine has a black plastic bleeder fitting on the pump housing that you can unscrew to bleed it. Perhaps yours does to? I also use a plunger without handle to pump water in the filter intake. Seems to help.

Stick a small electric heater safely inside the cabinet for a day or so and it will thaw.

Thanks

Your spa pump has ice in it. When you drain your spa it will have 15-30 gallons of water left in the system. It may well have other freezing issues as well but first things first. Put a small heater (or hair dryer on low) under the cabinet and close the cabinet as tight as you can it will take a while for the ice to melt. Your sales company should have been able to tell you how to winterize your spa properly however many of them do not know how to do it right and just say drain it and put the cover on and refill when you want to use it. Then you end up where you are.

Laurel