Thermal Pain Design Vs. Full Insulation

Got-soaked

I tested the thermal pain design of a Master Spa LSX1050 by monitoring the temperature inside of the Tub’s skirt. Below are some of the details describing the test.

Master Spa deploys the thermal pain insulation construct which the tub is sprayed with 2-3 inches of insulation but there are large cavity openings around the plumbing, motors and throughout the inside of the tubs skirt.

My Master Spa LSX1050 (2007 model) has been consuming 25KW of power a day since it was installed over a week ago. Ambient temperature has been ranging from the 70s during the day to 60s at nights. This is the second Master Spa LSX1050 since the first one was replaced because of high electric consumption (25-50KWH per/day). Power consumption has been measured with a KW meter attached to the spa's 50Amp circuit breaker. Spa is set at 102 degrees and is covered for 23+ hours a day and the air to the jets are turned off when the tub is not in use. The tub is palced on pavers and surrounded by a 2 1/2 foot sitting wall.

The inside of my hot tube has been fitted with a indoor outdoor digital thermometer. The digital thermometer has a wire with a sensor attached to measure the outside temperature. Normally this type of thermometer would have the wire with sensor placed outside a window with the base unit sitting inside the house. In this installation the wire and sensor was placed inside the skirt and base unite sitting outside the skirt.

Two hours after the sensor unit was placed inside the tub’s skirt and the skirting replaced the temperature reading measured 87.3 degrees with the ambient temperature being 72.1 degrees. There is a slight breeze and the hot tub water is @ 102 degrees (Saturday November 20, 2007 @ 2:48 P.M).

If the thermal pain design was working, I would expect the inside of the hot tub skirt to be between 100 – 104 degrees. The above information challenges if the thermal pain construct of the spa is working and in my mind explains why my electric bill is so high and will get even high as cold temperatures approaches.

Let me know your thoughts on this test and if you find any holes in my hypothesis that the thermal pain design for my Master spa LSX1050 if failing. <_<

d84f1a05.jpg

T.P. Cooter sez:

"Everbody know dat Thermal Pain be's de onlyiest way to insoolate yer spa. Innybody dat say differnt is a idjit!"

a1fdf9ab.jpg

Fuller "Foam" Festus retorts:

"Not so fast there, Varmint! Although Full Foam makes more sense to anyone above billy goat intelligence, Thermal Pain is actually done in the right manner by a couple of companies. Master Spa ain't one of 'em. They got way to many leaky gaps in their britches."

DSC01171.jpg

DSC01177.jpg

9cd7541e.jpg

T.P. Cooter you are are right about that ....

Further testing on the inside temperature of the tub’s skirt.

I turned all three pumps on and within 20 minutes the inside temperature of the skirt raised to 99 degrees. When the pumps were turned off the temperature dropped back down to 87 degrees in 15 minutes.

With this type of performance there is no way I’m going to have reasonable electric bills.

How can Master Spa dealers sleep at night?

They don't....they're bloodsucking vampires.

Terminator

Term! I'm surprised! What did any vampire ever do to you to be insulted in such a way?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

B)

I have used (over the years) the spray-in insulating foam on many poorly protected spas. Usually I turn them on edge and remove the lower panel. In some cases like jacuzzi models I had to either remove side panels or reach in from the equipment area.

The most common failed areas are the corners, the shell to cabinet, and between the removable panels.

I'd concentrate on those areas.

Ages ago we'd stuff foam insulation into trash bags and load the cabinet, except the equipment area, with those same bags.

A floating solar blanket can help.

A very high quality cover can be HUGE.

srg :ph34r:

right now i am also monitoring the inside cabinet temperature on everyones favorite spa, the infinity sun peak. It sounds as if it has the same type of setup as your spa. It has a very thin layer of foam on the shell and a large area of uninsulated space (air) between the shell and the panels. The spa is wrapped in what appears to be reflectix insulation for the thermal wrap. The inside cabinet temperature appeared to stay around 85-87 degrees while the outside temperature has been 60-50 degrees I just finished adding my own insulation today and will monitor the inside cabinet temp to see if it increases. Right now the inside cabinet temp is 90 and the outside temp is 63. I will provide better data when i download the logged temperatures.

right now i am also monitoring the inside cabinet temperature on everyones favorite spa, the infinity sun peak. It sounds as if it has the same type of setup as your spa. It has a very thin layer of foam on the shell and a large area of uninsulated space (air) between the shell and the panels. The spa is wrapped in what appears to be reflectix insulation for the thermal wrap. The inside cabinet temperature appeared to stay around 85-87 degrees while the outside temperature has been 60-50 degrees I just finished adding my own insulation today and will monitor the inside cabinet temp to see if it increases. Right now the inside cabinet temp is 90 and the outside temp is 63. I will provide better data when i download the logged temperatures.

Can you provide me with information on what type of insulation you used and where you bought it? Any idea what your tub's KW usage was prior to insulating?

I do not know my tubs electrical usage as I have not been running the tub for more than a week. I can tell you how I insulated the tub however I would not recommend this way to anyone yet since I don't know how much it has help or any negative repercussion of the technique I used (ie use at your own risk). I added the info under GG72s' insulated and installed post, which is a much cleaner looking job than how my install looks.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...c=9744&st=0

Yes he was that guy.....Ned Beatty sure had a surprised look on his face in that flick.

I'm sorry, but T.P. Cooter simply said "He shore got a purty mouf'". Hillbilly Bill actually made the squeal comment:

deliveranceboss.jpg

Poor ol' Ned Beatty REALLY picked the wrong place to spa shop:

duelingbozos.jpg

Terminator

• 2 weeks later...
Yes he was that guy.....Ned Beatty sure had a surprised look on his face in that flick.

I'm sorry, but T.P. Cooter simply said "He shore got a purty mouf'". Hillbilly Bill actually made the squeal comment:

deliveranceboss.jpg

Poor ol' Ned Beatty REALLY picked the wrong place to spa shop:

duelingbozos.jpg

Terminator

HAHAHA that is great. I need photoshop adobe advanced. lol