Costco Or Non Premium Spa Buyer's Alert

mark2550

I've seen alot of threads about costco and non premium tubs refered to as junk or not up to par, well I for for one wasn't willing to shell out $10,000.00, $7500.00 or even $5000.00 dollars on a contained area of heated water with magic jets, so I began looking at dealerships for used one but not finding any to my likings in the area of $1500.00 to $3500.00. But what I did happen to stumble across was an outdated 9 year old blue ridge spa made by jacuuzzi it measures 81x91 with 2 3.65 hp single speed motors and a smaller I beleive heater/circulation pump, it has a manual dial for temp. setting with a digital readout , it has a lounger and 4 other seats with a step in feature or what now is called a cool off seat plain old light with colored blue lens.

When I brought it home 10 days ago we cleaned it some what, this included the insides and underneath had to do some work to the older cedar skirting, like adding screws from the back side for better bracing and adding staples to some of the smaller panels to help reduce warping and such, then started to fill it up only to find one of the manifolds was cracked and leaking order the parts and $45.00 later it held water just fine.Finally got the wiring ran tonight and guess what everything seems to be working the pumps pumped and the light turned on and the heater is heating, my 10 year old son and I jumped in after letting run for about an hour the temp was reading a mere 84 degrees about 2 hours later the temp. showed at 94 and the outside temp is 58 degrees tonight we later discovered a couple more leaks at the top of 2 of the valve gates at the handles only when pumps our running will get them fixed pronto.

Anyway my total purchase for this tub was $500.00 from a previos owner in which had moved and took this hot tub with them but had stored this tub in an un-heated garage for the past 2 years but he included the box with some wiring,sealtight,gfic breaker, steps a newer top so far my total expense is approx. $600.00 plus a few more simple leakes to fix and I just came in about an hour ago from a 89-90 degree soak to see hot it felt, I'm in heaven right now and can't wait for tommorrow evening.

That is great. People can get very good deals on used spas so that is certainly an alternative for someone on a budget (and it sure helps if you're a DIYer).

Thank you for your kind reply and your right if my wife and I enjoy the hot-tubbing expierence we might step it up a notch or 2 and if we don't use it as much as we think no harm or foul we'll get our money back great to see some decent folks on this board.

I think I counted 3 periods in that entire post :wacko: Anyway, glad you're happy but you might try cutting down on the caffeine :lol:

:lol: As I was reading the entire post, that too was all I could think about.

Read post 6 and see were I was coming from that evening after 12 beers was just happy everyting worked the way it should of for such an old spa.

what does this have to do with a "Costco" tub? Costco doesen't build tubs or spas. Also what experiance do you have with any spa purchased from Costco other then hersey? Just curious.

You are correct I don't have any expierence from a tub purchased from costco but after reading some peoples views on how cheap these spas were made I for one wouldn't be afraid of purchasing one of them, since every part can be replaced if needed and if this old spa I just recently purchased still has original pumps and all is well as of today I'm in spa heaven. I wasn't trying to bash the tubs sold by costco just simply stating those tubs would justify a simple mans request didn't mean to offend anyone.

what does this have to do with a "Costco" tub? Costco doesen't build tubs or spas. Also what experiance do you have with any spa purchased from Costco other then hersey? Just curious.

You are correct I don't have any expierence from a tub purchased from costco but after reading some peoples views on how cheap these spas were made I for one wouldn't be afraid of purchasing one of them, since every part can be replaced if needed and if this old spa I just recently purchased still has original pumps and all is well as of today I'm in spa heaven. I wasn't trying to bash the tubs sold by costco just simply stating those tubs would justify a simple mans request didn't mean to offend anyone.

This sort of thing was what I was trying to get to in the Costco thread before it got locked. Costco spas - or any other spa prone to breaking - may have parts that are easily replaced by a DIYer. Personally, I do not want a DIY-friendly tub. I have no interest in repairing a broken tub. If I buy a hot tub, I want it for RELAXATION, and every minute I spend maintaining it takes away from that relaxation. So, I want a tub that's really easy to keep clean, and has a good warranty so the dealer will send SOMEBODY ELSE out to fix it if it breaks.

I know a lot of people like Mark are DIY kind of people. I'm not. I'm glad there are tubs out there for people like them. I'm also glad there are tubs out there for people like me.

I agree D.P knows what he has read and COSTCO or any INTERNET SPA is no good.

Only purchase what these guys tell you too or you will be sorry.

Perhaps not right away but in a year or two or three.

Somewhere down the road that shiny new Internet or COSTCO SPA like D.P. refers to them as will cause you more misery than you ever thought possible.

Some of you reading this will say but I bought one of these spas and have had no problems.Sure not now but just you wait.Out of every couple of thousand Costco Spas or are they Internet Spas?Well no matter.........My point is that out of every couple of thousand of these spas being sold as these guys have pointed out there are a few reported as having problems.

You are probably thinking as I once did that this is a very small percentage and but because they sell thousands each year are these other owners not happy with there COSTCO SPA?

Well again my friend you are wrong these owners are too embarrassed that they made the wrong choice.I have heard that all of these COSTCO SPAS go right to the crusher and these poor unfortunate fools have to now go without or step up and do what they should have in the beginning.

Also even if you are one of the few owners who purchased one of these COSTCO SPAS and were actually able to get it running, you have to live in fear of the future when as surely as the sun rises and sets each day your COSTCO SPA WILL FAIL.

YES I SAID FAIL,BE NO GOOD,UNREPAIRABLE,JUNK,MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN.

One more point.You have an COSTCO SPA that you spent $3000. on but you neighbor or friend has a Dealer Spa that they paid $9000 for.Think of how embarrassed you will be if they drop in.There spa has the impressive logo H.S. or JACUZZI and you poor spa is brandishing the INFINITY logo.You are probaly wearing no name jeans as well and he is wearing designer jeans.

So please listen to all these experts and if you still doubt that they know anything go to your local Spa dealers and I,m sure that they will repeat the same warnings regarding the COSTCO SPAS perhaps word for word.

REPEAT AFTER ME I WILLNOT PURCHASE A COSTCO SPA......I WILLNOT PURCHASE A COSTCO SPAI WILL NOT PURCHASE A COSTCO SPA.....!!!!!!!

Remember like spas cheap jeans will not last go out and buy some designer jeans and remember name dropping is everything.

This sort of thing was what I was trying to get to in the Costco thread before it got locked. Costco spas - or any other spa prone to breaking - may have parts that are easily replaced by a DIYer. Personally, I do not want a DIY-friendly tub. I have no interest in repairing a broken tub. If I buy a hot tub, I want it for RELAXATION, and every minute I spend maintaining it takes away from that relaxation. So, I want a tub that's really easy to keep clean, and has a good warranty so the dealer will send SOMEBODY ELSE out to fix it if it breaks.

I know a lot of people like Mark are DIY kind of people. I'm not. I'm glad there are tubs out there for people like them. I'm also glad there are tubs out there for people like me.

Costco tubs are not any more prone to breaking or leaking than any other tub. The funniest thing you say, though, is the part where you say you don't want a DIY-friendly tub. Would you like to own a car where the engine had to be removed to change the spark plugs? Would you like to own a washing machine that could only be serviced by a guy with a heavy accent using expensive imported parts from a European country? Would you like to own a lawnmower for which the manufacturer did not even bother to make spare parts available? You stick with your DIY-unfriendly tub but the rest of us realize that anything that is "DIY-friendly" is also "repair tech friendly" and "less expensive to repair." <laugh>

Anyway my total purchase for this tub was $500.00 from a previos owner ... I'm in heaven right now and can't wait for tommorrow evening.

Sounds like you got a bargain and are happy with it. Congratulations!

Also even if you are one of the few owners who purchased one of these COSTCO SPAS and were actually able to get it running, you have to live in fear of the future when as surely as the sun rises and sets each day your COSTCO SPA WILL FAIL. <snip>

REPEAT AFTER ME I WILL NOT PURCHASE A COSTCO SPA......I WILLNOT PURCHASE A COSTCO SPAI WILL NOT PURCHASE A COSTCO SPA.....!!!!!!!

Remember like spas cheap jeans will not last go out and buy some designer jeans and remember name dropping is everything.

ROTFL! This is the essence of satire, and a well-made point.

I wonder... if the owners of entry-level spas would stop defending them as being "as good as the high-end models for half the price", perhaps others would stop deriding the economy spas as POS or junk spas? Nah, won't happen, we have too much fun arguing. :ph34r:

Costco tubs are not any more prone to breaking or leaking than any other tub. The funniest thing you say, though, is the part where you say you don't want a DIY-friendly tub. 1. Would you like to own a car where the engine had to be removed to change the spark plugs? 2. Would you like to own a washing machine that could only be serviced by a guy with a heavy accent using expensive imported parts from a European country? 3. Would you like to own a lawnmower for which the manufacturer did not even bother to make spare parts available? 4) You stick with your DIY-unfriendly tub but the rest of us realize that anything that is "DIY-friendly" is also "repair tech friendly" and "less expensive to repair." <laugh>

I hope you don't mind I added numbers in to your posts so I could respond to them appropriately:

1) Yes. Or actually, I could care less. I don't even consider such a thing when purchasing a car. All cars have spark plugs, don't they? And you have to change them? Yawn.

2) I like accents. What's wrong with accents? I could care less what country the parts come from.

3) You can repair lawnmowers?

4) I've never known ANYONE who stopped using their tub because it was expensive to repair. But EVERYONE I know who owns a tub - every family member, every friend, every neighbor- eventually stopped using their tubs. This was because they JUST DIDN'T USE IT THAT OFTEN. Maintenance became more of a hassle than the relaxation was worth.

You see, hot tubs - with a few medical exceptions - are a LUXURY. You don't HAVE to maintain them, repair them, or balance the chemicals. Unlike lawns, furnaces, etc., you can just stop using them. Then, you have a very expensive lawn ornament. And EVERYONE I know who stopped using their tubs thought 1) After a while, soaking in one was not as enjoyable as they thought it would be, and 2) Balancing the chemicals was too complicated.

I don't know all of the brand names involved, but I know some of them. And I'm familiar with their purchases - they bought a spa from a guy who runs a lumber yard or a lawn service or a barbecue joint, who also sells spas on the side. They picked out a model that seated the right number of people for the right price, without testing it. And they received little or no instruction on how to maintain/check the chemicals.

Now, years later, those tubs are abandoned, sitting half empty, and their owners are telling everyone they know not to buy a hot tub ("You'll never use it!").

I'm sure you can tell me about all kinds of Costco tubs that have been going for years, and people are still using them, and they're easy to keep clean, and everybody still loves the therapy it gives them. But that's your life and your story, and not mine.

So, with all due respect, I wish you Costco owners would QUIT INSULTING ME. AND QUIT TRYING TO CALL ME A LIAR. I'm not a salesperson, and I'm not here to push a certain brand of spas. I'm just here to share my experiences and advice. You can share your thoughts, and I'll share mine. We obviously think quite differently, and that's a GOOD thing. Let it go.

Costco tubs are not any more prone to breaking or leaking than any other tub. The funniest thing you say, though, is the part where you say you don't want a DIY-friendly tub. 1. Would you like to own a car where the engine had to be removed to change the spark plugs? 2. Would you like to own a washing machine that could only be serviced by a guy with a heavy accent using expensive imported parts from a European country? 3. Would you like to own a lawnmower for which the manufacturer did not even bother to make spare parts available? 4) You stick with your DIY-unfriendly tub but the rest of us realize that anything that is "DIY-friendly" is also "repair tech friendly" and "less expensive to repair." <laugh>

I hope you don't mind I added numbers in to your posts so I could respond to them appropriately:

1) Yes. Or actually, I could care less. I don't even consider such a thing when purchasing a car. All cars have spark plugs, don't they? And you have to change them? Yawn.

2) I like accents. What's wrong with accents? I could care less what country the parts come from.

3) You can repair lawnmowers?

4) I've never known ANYONE who stopped using their tub because it was expensive to repair. But EVERYONE I know who owns a tub - every family member, every friend, every neighbor- eventually stopped using their tubs. This was because they JUST DIDN'T USE IT THAT OFTEN. Maintenance became more of a hassle than the relaxation was worth.

You see, hot tubs - with a few medical exceptions - are a LUXURY. You don't HAVE to maintain them, repair them, or balance the chemicals. Unlike lawns, furnaces, etc., you can just stop using them. Then, you have a very expensive lawn ornament. And EVERYONE I know who stopped using their tubs thought 1) After a while, soaking in one was not as enjoyable as they thought it would be, and 2) Balancing the chemicals was too complicated.

I don't know all of the brand names involved, but I know some of them. And I'm familiar with their purchases - they bought a spa from a guy who runs a lumber yard or a lawn service or a barbecue joint, who also sells spas on the side. They picked out a model that seated the right number of people for the right price, without testing it. And they received little or no instruction on how to maintain/check the chemicals.

Now, years later, those tubs are abandoned, sitting half empty, and their owners are telling everyone they know not to buy a hot tub ("You'll never use it!").

I'm sure you can tell me about all kinds of Costco tubs that have been going for years, and people are still using them, and they're easy to keep clean, and everybody still loves the therapy it gives them. But that's your life and your story, and not mine.

So, with all due respect, I wish you Costco owners would QUIT INSULTING ME. AND QUIT TRYING TO CALL ME A LIAR. I'm not a salesperson, and I'm not here to push a certain brand of spas. I'm just here to share my experiences and advice. You can share your thoughts, and I'll share mine. We obviously think quite differently, and that's a GOOD thing. Let it go.

D.P. Roberts,

Have you personally every owned a costco or a non reputable brand spa from most of your comment's I highly doubt it, I'm not going to try to insult your beliefs but this no name spa (blue ridge) sold by lowes and home depot that I now own being 9 yrs and 5 months old is working flawlessly for the past 4 days. You think I'm cheap we'll I'm not rich but I do own a premire luxuary car along with the wifes buick and my toyota truck but I have also learned that some older products were built alot better than whats on the market today. That being said my other car which is a lexus sc400 in which I had to trade my (cadillac eldorado in for due to being in the service department more time in which I care to tell) my point is everything can and will break so where are you once your warranty is out, one of my local dealers yes they sell no name brands like great lakes and nordic tubs have bent over backwards to help me with the parts I needed to repair this tub (like the cracked manifold $45.00) and show me how to balance my chemicals by bringing a water sample to them this dealer has been awsome just a good old boy that want's whats in my best interest to keep selling me his chemicals and any other service related items he even said if theres anything I couldn't get fixed he would come out to evaluate what I needed at no cost except for the parts or if he supplied the service to fix by onr of his crew members my local hotsprings dealer said something similiar to these same remarks but he's additional 7 miles farther away and has a service fee to show up but I was glad to hear these dealers were willing to work with me since I had shopped their store but ended up with this used spa, glad to know some people or dealerships work the old fashion way at least in my area.

Honestly, I shopped around for quite a while for our recent hottub purchase. I never even considered buying a used tub... just not gonna do it. We looked & even considered Costco (though our nearest one only carries them a few times a year on the floor). I kept using a fairly local place as my guideline or "happy place". They were always willing to answer questions that I would ask as I roamed around their showroom. We ended up going with them, pretty much for customer service. If my life situation was different, I certainly think Costco is a good way to get your 1st tub. Granted, I find myself leaning towards local customer service type places anyway, but I also compareprices & belong to BJs, so I am not against savings.

In the end I was happy with our entire package price, but I'm certain a Costco type place may have charged less for the basic tub. I could go to Costco every week and never see the same person, but my local place is pretty much open/closed by the owners every day. We also get lifetime water testing! LOL!

We are very happy with our Hotsprings Tiger River Sumatran. A very basic tub with not alot of bells & whistles.

my point is everything can and will break so where are you once your warranty is out, one of my local dealers yes they sell no name brands like great lakes and nordic tubs have bent over backwards to help me with the parts I needed to repair this tub (like the cracked manifold $45.00) and show me how to balance my chemicals by bringing a water sample to them this dealer has been awsome just a good old boy that want's whats in my best interest to keep selling me his chemicals and any other service related items he even said if theres anything I couldn't get fixed he would come out to evaluate what I needed at no cost except for the parts or if he supplied the service to fix by onr of his crew members my local hotsprings dealer said something similiar to these same remarks but he's additional 7 miles farther away and has a service fee to show up but I was glad to hear these dealers were willing to work with me since I had shopped their store but ended up with this used spa, glad to know some people or dealerships work the old fashion way at least in my area.

I'm glad you have these great dealers near you. I think you would agree that getting your spa up and running would have been a lot more difficult without these knowledgeable people there to help you. That's exactly my point about dealers. When you buy from Costco, you don't get that.

I think most good dealers would want to help someone in your situation, or anyone with a cheap or used tub - if you ever decide to get a premium tub, you'll undoubtedly shop there first. Or, maybe they're just good people. Maybe a little bit of both. Some people don't have someone like that near them, or perhaps their dealers are too busy with their tub-buying customers to have much time to help others like you. I think people like that shouldn't buy a Costco tub unless they know how to repair hot tubs and can fix it themselves.

To answer your first question - I've never owned a Costco tub. I've also never owned a Yugo, but I've heard it on good authority that they're crappy cars, and I believe it. I've also never owned a Honda, but I've heard they're good cars, and I believe that too. I've never been to Ireland or Iraq, but if I had to choose one of those countries to go to on vacation, I'd choose Ireland. Sometimes, if you read carefully and evaluate what you're reading and hearing, you CAN believe what you read.

You are correct on alot of your wisdom and knowledge but the dealer that I have been dealing with at least when I go in has had several customers in there at the same time might be due to alot of people getting around to shutting down thier pools this time of year, but the owner /gentleman and his assitant in which I have both dealt with never have brought up the subject about how good or bad this tub is they both have been willing to help in anyway possible, they seem down to earth and very knowledgeable with all of my needs due to parts and water chemistry i have thanked them personally more than once and they seem appreciative to my acknowledgement towards them, so far we have a great relationship as of to date. The wife just came in from a good or at least in our opinion decent soak at 105 degrees (we have a floating thermometer just to double check the reading from the spa exact temp.'s) so all is good for the moment. The wife just got done staining the wood at least 3 sides today she want's to take pictures of the before and after views but our camerea was dead today so hopefully wil put pics in soon.

Would you like to own a car where the engine had to be removed to change the spark plugs?

Then don't buy a 2001 Ford Escape. Cost me $200 to change a spark plug!

Is Ford a premium or non-premium car???? :lol:

Non premium for the masses. Middle of the road.