Hydrospa (legend 3 From Costco) 2 Major Leaks

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, now the tubs going back and since you are in Canada I will suggest you look at Pacific spas. I am saying this now as too head off any later statement as to where a costco person returns a spa in Canada and then buys a Pacific and the small group think its all fake.

I don't know anything about Pacific but here's someone who returned a problem Hydro and was happy with the Pacific (though a lot of the happiness was probably just in washing his hands of the problem spa).

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...ic=7487&hl=

Ok, now the tubs going back and since you are in Canada I will suggest you look at Pacific spas. I am saying this now as too head off any later statement as to where a costco person returns a spa in Canada and then buys a Pacific and the small group think its all fake.

I don't know anything about Pacific but here's someone who returned a problem Hydro and was happy with the Pacific (though a lot of the happiness was probably just in washing his hands of the problem spa).

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...ic=7487&hl=

yeah I read that thread earlier. I think nw flamed in that one as well. Oh well. What kind of tub you have? I'm almost thinkin of gettin an Arctic as they have there main plant 20 minutes from my house. This way I could almost guarantee that my tub would not be handled nearly as much as my Hydro was. I may have to go in debt to pay for the sucker but I may be happier 10 years from now.

I know that the tubs don't have "poor workmanship" because I both own one and I know something about plastic piping and pumps. That puts me waaaaay ahead of you. Since it was NOT poor workmanship, the leaks could only have been caused by damage during shipment or damage from the installation.

Nitwit,

Do I have to come back and spank some sense into your logic. Besides the fact that many on this forum are well aware that the quality control at Hydro is less than stellar, no one died and made you omnisicient. You cannot possibly know with any level of certainty what caused the leaks. So quit making declarative statements and don't be dismissive of the people who complain about their problematic Hydrospa units. Go back to your hole before someone calls you paintsunni...again.

If your in Northern Alberta it may suit you to get an Arctic or swing by one of the Beachcomber Edmonton stores.

This is what i would look at in your neck of the woods.

John

There going to cost you a few grand more and pobably not have all the flashy junk that breaks 5-6 years down the road. But you will get a good reliable energy effiecient hot water vessel that will last for 15-20 years. A great hot tub can be had for 7-8 grand.

If your in Northern Alberta it may suit you to get an Arctic or swing by one of the Beachcomber Edmonton stores.

John

There going to cost you a few grand more and pobably not have all the flashy junk that breaks 5-6 years down the road. But you will get a good reliable energy effiecient hot water vessel that will last for 15-20 years. A great hot tub can be had for 7-8 grand.

Wait till you see how Arctic does TP insulation :D wait till you see how thick there covers are.

Even if you owe money on it you will be in it :D and thats what its all about ;) tiny bubbles.

John

John

Wait till you see how Arctic does TP insulation :D wait till you see how thick there covers are.

Even if you owe money on it you will be in it :D and thats what its all about ;) tiny bubbles.

John

Theres no pedestals holding the Arctic shell off the ground. It is fully self supported. A good solid fiberglass backed Acrylic shell thicker than most supported by the frame. I think they are a bit overpriced and a bit on the noisy side, but a solid competitor in the indusrty. I also like Beachcombers reliability and shell designs. Take a look at Dimension One if they are local, Marquis makes a solid unit. And of course the Watkins products.

Theres no pedestals holding the Arctic shell off the ground. It is fully self supported. A good solid fiberglass backed Acrylic shell thicker than most supported by the frame. I think they are a bit overpriced and a bit on the noisy side, but a solid competitor in the indusrty. I also like Beachcombers reliability and shell designs. Take a look at Dimension One if they are local, Marquis makes a solid unit. And of course the Watkins products.

What does it do, levitate? Of course there are supports to hold the shell off of the ground for the 'Arctic' like there are for ALL portable tubs. On the Hydrospa units, the pedestals are molded into the ABS plastic base so that the shell is entirely off of the ground, even the footwell which reduces conductive heat loss (good). On some of the cheaper tubs, by comparison, the center of the shell bottom sits directly on the ground, which allows more heat conduction (bad).

I know that the tubs don't have "poor workmanship" because I both own one and I know something about plastic piping and pumps. That puts me waaaaay ahead of you. Since it was NOT poor workmanship, the leaks could only have been caused by damage during shipment or damage from the installation.

Besides the fact that many on this forum are well aware that the quality control at Hydro is less than stellar, no one died and made you omnisicient. You cannot possibly know with any level of certainty what caused the leaks. So quit making declarative statements and don't be dismissive of the people who complain about their problematic Hydrospa units. Go back to your hole before someone calls you paintsunni...again.

I own a hydrospa tub so I actually know what the quality is of the tub that I have and it is assembled pretty well and uses good components. Therefore, I know that the overall quality and workmanship of the tubs is good unless the factory has suddenly taken a dive. Similarly, iIf you owned a Toyota, you would know that the overall quality of Toyotas was pretty good, even if you didn't personally inspect every Toyota. Of course, you don't know anything about hot tubs, hot tub piping, hot tub pumps, hot tub controls, or anything else tub-related so you would not be able to tell if a tub was 'good' or 'bad' if your life depended on it, hence your nickname....

I don't care if people like it. I'll never buy another hottub like that.

P.S - latest update....this tub is gonna get returned. I'm done with it.

Wow, what a surprise...NOT. I've been waiting for you to post that for three days. What took you so long? You've been posting here nearly non-stop for the last few days about your Hydrospa leaker while you are supposedly fixing it and then...you're returning it. How much did you get paid to do the Hydrospa-is-a-junker trip? I know, you'll draw your chin up and express shrill cries of outrage that someone could even THINK such a thing. <laugh> This thread shows otherwise. Your 'first post' was September 10 and by September 14 after 25 posts in four days you were saying you were going to return it. You want to have even the tiniest scrap of credibility, tell us which Costco store you returned it to.

John

Points well taken. Thanks for the suggestions!

What does it do, levitate? Of course there are supports to hold the shell off of the ground for the 'Arctic' like there are for ALL portable tubs. On the Hydrospa units, the pedestals are molded into the ABS plastic base so that the shell is entirely off of the ground, even the footwell which reduces conductive heat loss (good). On some of the cheaper tubs, by comparison, the center of the shell bottom sits directly on the ground, which allows more heat conduction (bad).

Self supporting shell.ask tom

Your research was a little thin wasn't it. No pedestals under the Arctic shell. open air, it must be levitatng!! No wonder they are so expensive!

Besides the fact that many on this forum are well aware that the quality control at Hydro is less than stellar, no one died and made you omnisicient. You cannot possibly know with any level of certainty what caused the leaks. So quit making declarative statements and don't be dismissive of the people who complain about their problematic Hydrospa units. Go back to your hole before someone calls you paintsunni...again.

Of course, you don't know anything about hot tubs, hot tub piping, hot tub pumps, hot tub controls, or anything else tub-related so you would not be able to tell if a tub was 'good' or 'bad' if your life depended on it, hence your nickname....

What's jmendoza17's nickname? Or does "jmendoza17" mean "I wouldn't be able to tell if a tub was 'good' or 'bad' if my life depended on it" in Klingon or something?

Wow, what a surprise...NOT. I've been waiting for you to post that for three days. What took you so long? You've been posting here nearly non-stop for the last few days about your Hydrospa leaker while you are supposedly fixing it and then...you're returning it. How much did you get paid to do the Hydrospa-is-a-junker trip? I know, you'll draw your chin up and express shrill cries of outrage that someone could even THINK such a thing. <laugh> This thread shows otherwise. Your 'first post' was September 10 and by September 14 after 25 posts in four days you were saying you were going to return it. You want to have even the tiniest scrap of credibility, tell us which Costco store you returned it to.

NW...I've had the spa since June...it's been down longer than it's been up...I havent't been mulling over fixing it or returning it for a couple of days...I've been thinking that since my first leak whcih was my first ever use! It's a painful decision and it's gonna inconvenience me and my family big time...both timewise and financially. I have posted pics and have told every step of my issue truthfully. I have yet to see any proof whatsoever that you even own a spa. Why don't you post some pics? Are you for real? "allegedely new spa owner" HA! B)

Theres no pedestals holding the Arctic shell off the ground. .

What does it do, levitate?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, the antigravity model is not ready for release just yet. :P

The original Arctics used a "Pedestal Floor" made of pressure treated wood to raise the unit off the frozen ground and provide 3" of insulation under the spa. This pedestal was replaced with an optional hand-rolled fiberglass "Forever Floor" in 2001. Pressure moulded fiberglass (SMC) floors began replacing the hand-rolled units in 2006 and are now on all models.

I'll guess that what Roger was referring to is that an Arctic shell is free-standing: there are no supports or struts supporting the seats or rim. Many brands use props of wood or metal, cardboard cylinders, ABS intrusions from the base, and a variety of other methods to provide additional support under the seats or for certain areas of the shell. Most brands rely on additional support from framing members around the rim as part of the cabinet. I am not saying that there is anything necessarily wrong with such construction; it is an economical manufacturing method.

Making the shell strong enough to stand on its own (with a full load of water and bathers) was a design decision that Arctic made in 1997. For a different version of propless/frameless construction, see this web site

I don't get why you are so dismissive about people's problems. He got a crappy spa and is going to return it. You got so pissed at me that you threatened to havbe someone blow up my back yard. These forum's are of little value if people cannot legitimately air their gripes without having nitwits like you challenge the authenticity of their stories simply because you don't like what is said. Go enjoy your spa and be glad you got one that works.

I don't get why you are so dismissive about people's problems. He got a crappy spa and is going to return it. You got so pissed at me that you threatened to havbe someone blow up my back yard. These forum's are of little value if people cannot legitimately air their gripes without having nitwits like you challenge the authenticity of their stories simply because you don't like what is said. Go enjoy your spa and be glad you got one that works.

Excellent post Jman! I totally agree. I'm just a newbie first time spa buyer who bought a dixie cup for a tub and learned everything the hard way. I'm learnin up real quick now tho. Excellent advice and some quality google time and dealer time. Plus peering into the guts of my tub many many times. grrr