Baquaspa?

SmilinBare

Anyone else, here, using it in an outdoor portable spa in New England?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! No one else is using this stuff? I'm surprised. So far it's working great for us. No muss no fuss. No after-tubbing showering required.

Wow! No one else is using this stuff? I'm surprised. So far it's working great for us. No muss no fuss. No after-tubbing showering required.

Not a whole lot of people shower after a tub. Those of us on a proper chlorine regimine do not soak in anything as our chlorine has dissapated to 0PPM or close to it and then after we soak we add to achieve a PPM of 3-5 to make sure everything is killed. I hope you are using some kind of a sanitizer like chlorine or are you not suposed to whith Baqua? That would just make me nervous because the only recognized sanitizers are Chlorine and Bromine. About 20 bucks a year for enough dichlor.

I do however like the fact that you don't have to add the Baqua everyday. I don't have to add dichlor everyday but I have to every other day or so.

We are using BaquaSpa in our month old Sundance Maxxus. The salesperson recommended it and I just went with it without doing any research. I have to say so far I am very pleased. Our water is city softened so I really had to work initially to get the water hard enough but that was simple. Otherwise I just add the prescribed regimen once a week and my chemistries have been beautiful. I do have to say that I have experienced the sticky brown residue around the waterline that some have complained about. I have heard many theories such as too much sanitizer causing clumping, pH levels, and irons in water; but I have found that I just need to add waterline control every 6 days instead of every 7. So far this has worked. As far as cost comparison, I guess I really can't say because as I said I didn't do my homework comparing other systems. For me personally I can live with the cost of BaquaSpa-I found an online store and ordered a large stock that should last me quite a long time. One thing I love is the lack of any smell-I have quite the sensitive nose and easily get headaches-that I have noticed in my friends' spas who use Chlorine and Bromine.

One thing I love is the lack of any smell-I have quite the sensitive nose and easily get headaches-that I have noticed in my friends' spas who use Chlorine and Bromine.

If there's a strong chlorine smell in a dichlor tub they are doing it wrong. There is no smell, as the chlorine, done right, is at 0PPM during your soak. It's only after your soak that you add the product then it dissapates in a day so the next soak there is none to soak in. Now with bromine and a feeder I can see the smell, that is exactly why I quit using it.

If there's a strong chlorine smell in a dichlor tub they are doing it wrong. There is no smell, as the chlorine, done right, is at 0PPM during your soak. It's only after your soak that you add the product then it dissapates in a day so the next soak there is none to soak in. Now with bromine and a feeder I can see the smell, that is exactly why I quit using it.

I agree. I never get any chlorine odor and I soak in zero ppm. I shock only when needed. I can go a few days without adding dichlor if I don't use the spa (I also use N2).

I use bromine in my tub.

Never any oder, never any skin irritation, I check chemicals twice a week and typically adjust pH or TA at that time; bromine I "adjust" at the floater probably every other week.

I also shock it once a week.

My only "complaint" isn't about the bromine, its foaming, of course with lots of power, jets, and air, I guess I shouldn't be surprized at this.

Nope. No chlorine or bromine shock required. The BaquaSpa program DOES include a weekly shock but, again, it contains no chlorine or bromine. In our case, we're NOT using the BaquaSpa Waterline Control because our spa has an ozonator which, according to the BaquaSpa directions, eliminates the need for the Waterline Control.

I just came in from the tub and am happy to report that the scum ring hasn't reappeared, the water is crystal clear and I've enjoyed another spectacular soak "under the stars". Ahhhhhhh.

I just came in from the tub and am happy to report that the scum ring hasn't reappeared, the water is crystal clear and I've enjoyed another spectacular soak "under the stars". Ahhhhhhh.

After 17 days of clouds and snow it also is finaly clear skyed here in Northern Minnesota. The only down fall is clear sky will make it colder and we have had a very mild winter. But I love soaking under the stars. You seem to be enjoying your honeymoon with your tub bare.

You seem to be enjoying your honeymoon with your tub bare.

I certainly am! I've been in it every night since I got it (sometimes more than once) and a few times during daytime on weekends.

Last night it was ridiculously (read: unseasonably) warm outdoors: 48F on the wall thermometer at 10:30 p.m. We've been enjoying springlike weather the past few days (I passed a guy on the highway, today, with his convertible top down B) ) but those of us who are seasoned New Englanders KNOW that it's only a mere matter of days before the "snow" hits the fan! Just the other night, whilst soaking, I realized that I was HOPING for it to snow soon so that I can enjoy the flakes coming down while I'm in the tub. Trust me when I tell ya that it's been a good manmy years since I've hoped for more snow.

You seem to be enjoying your honeymoon with your tub bare.

I certainly am! I've been in it every night since I got it (sometimes more than once) and a few times during daytime on weekends.

Last night it was ridiculously (read: unseasonably) warm outdoors: 48F on the wall thermometer at 10:30 p.m. We've been enjoying springlike weather the past few days (I passed a guy on the highway, today, with his convertible top down B) ) but those of us who are seasoned New Englanders KNOW that it's only a mere matter of days before the "snow" hits the fan! Just the other night, whilst soaking, I realized that I was HOPING for it to snow soon so that I can enjoy the flakes coming down while I'm in the tub. Trust me when I tell ya that it's been a good manmy years since I've hoped for more snow.

Enjo the warm weather.. I too had a great soak last night but it was -10 celsius up here in Alberta canada..

Enjo the warm weather.. I too had a great soak last night but it was -10 celsius up here in Alberta canada..

-10 C what's that 20 above F we have been getting that every night but up to 30-40 above during the day and for here in Mid January it is almost always below 0F for highs and well below 0F for lows.

Wow! Our outdoors temps are approaching 60F, this morning. And it's raining. But this January thaw is about to end according to the weather gals (Have you noticed the current trend of good-looking female meteorologists?). By tomorrow, the mercury is forecasted to fall back down into the teens and twenties (brrrr) but it's MUCH easier to accept now that I've got my tub. YIPPEEEEEE!

I got an over-the-phone-primer on BaquaSpa from a friend who used it for years (before he moved to sunny southern California and inherited an inground saltwater swimming pool...for the record, he DOESN'T miss New England weather one iota). Anyway he explained to me about the purpose of Shock and about what, exactly, one is trying to do with ANY sort of "bathing water" chemical treatment. It's slowly coming together for me.

So far, BaquaSpa is easy to use and is keeping the water crystal clear.

Jiminy creepers! Today the mercury is inching towards 60F, again! I can't believe it! If this isn't a nod towards the reality of global warming, I don't know what is!

We did have one day last week where the nighttime temps dipped down into the 20s (and I had to move quickly after I left the tub and was covering 'er up before I fled inside) but I'm beginning to wonder if our winter, here, will be mild straight on through. Not good for the snowplow guys (nor the heating oil dealers) to be sure.

Latest BaquaSpa realization: When I add water to replenish what's evaporated, the chlorinated city water reacts with the BaquaSpa chems to result in a ring around the tub (and gook in the filter basket) for a few days afterwards. Not to worry, though. It is easily cleaned and the water balances out on the third day.

P.S. Since others elsewheres on this site insist that the only "true" sanitizers are bromine and chlorine, I religiously take a shower and thoroughly scrub "critical orifices" before I get into my outdoor tub. It's a touchy subject, but I insist my guests take a shower, here beforehand, too, and I (humorously) insist they scrub their "crevices", too. If they resist, no tubbin' for them! Better safer than sorry.

BTW, as a result of owning a hot tub, I have a whole new appreciation for the "dangers" of public hot tubs and swimming pools, ie. I'll never get in one, again. Yeccccch! :unsure:

Jiminy creepers! Today the mercury is inching towards 60F, again! I can't believe it! If this isn't a nod towards the reality of global warming, I don't know what is!

We did have one day last week where the nighttime temps dipped down into the 20s (and I had to move quickly after I left the tub and was covering 'er up before I fled inside) but I'm beginning to wonder if our winter, here, will be mild straight on through. Not good for the snowplow guys (nor the heating oil dealers) to be sure.

Latest BaquaSpa realization: When I add water to replenish what's evaporated, the chlorinated city water reacts with the BaquaSpa chems to result in a ring around the tub (and gook in the filter basket) for a few days afterwards. Not to worry, though. It is easily cleaned and the water balances out on the third day.

P.S. Since others elsewheres on this site insist that the only "true" sanitizers are bromine and chlorine, I religiously take a shower and thoroughly scrub "critical orifices" before I get into my outdoor tub. It's a touchy subject, but I insist my guests take a shower, here beforehand, too, and I (humorously) insist they scrub their "crevices", too. If they resist, no tubbin' for them! Better safer than sorry.

BTW, as a result of owning a hot tub, I have a whole new appreciation for the "dangers" of public hot tubs and swimming pools, ie. I'll never get in one, again. Yeccccch! :unsure:

There are actually three "true" sanitizers....chlorine, bromine and peroxide. Baqua is peroxide based.

There are actually three "true" sanitizers....chlorine, bromine and peroxide. Baqua is peroxide based.

Oh. Thank you for that clarification, Tony.

it seems alittle more expensive than some. It this truth or just perception?

are there places on the internet that anyone has purchased baquaspa from with good results, and did you save any money?

This is my first and only spa so I don't know exactly what the cost differential is between Baquaspa and other chlorine or bromine tratments. Frankly, though, I really don't care because I am quite pleased with Baquaspa to date. Since my work travels occasionally put me in close proximity with the Arctic dealer (an hour's drive from our house), I stopped in yesterday to replenish some Baquaspa components. A bottle of test strips was $13.00, a bottle of Shock was $9.00. Calcium Increaser was $5.00 and Sanitizer was $18.00.

I quickly searched online for better prices and, with the exception of Sanitizer, it didn't look like I'd save all that much after adding in S&H. So, call me old fashioned, but I'll continue to try and buy the stuff from the dealer who sold me the tub. After all, he's got to cover his overhead to stay in business and I'm a firm believer/practicioner of supporting small business.

On a related note, I was surprised to discover that (even though they never told us in the course of three visits/wet tests at the store) the Arctic dealer, here, uses Baquaspa in their demo tubs! I wonder why?

:rolleyes:

BTW, it's yet ANOTHER warmish weekend day in a New England winter! Amazing! Thermometer reads 59F. I just came in from stacking firewood in my shirtsleeves! San Diego (almost) has NOTHING on us! ;-)

It seems as though my current supplier must be seeing me coming as I am pay $20 for test strips and more for everything else too. I guess maybe I should check around. Thanks for the help.

BTW, it's yet ANOTHER warmish weekend day in a New England winter! Amazing! Thermometer reads 59F. I just came in from stacking firewood in my shirtsleeves! San Diego (almost) has NOTHING on us! ;-)

And they say global warming is a bad thing.

oops.

• 3 weeks later...

It was a reply to another post on another string that somehow I posted to this string and then I couldn't figure out how to remove it all together so I used the Edit function and just wrote oops.

Still lovin' the stuff. Easy to use. No muss no fuss.